FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: FLINT SCHOOLS....SAD STATE OF AFFAIRS!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

OK,OK,OK....Let me get this straight. The Flint Community Schools cant afford to supply the students of Flint with basic pencils, paper and books? Youre not joking about this are you? Yet, there was enough money to pay an unregistered child molester a six figure income to be a top level school adminstrator? Wasnt there an issue last year with the Principal at Southwestern Academy purchasing expensive office furniture? What is wrong with the old metal desk that Im sure are collecting dust in some schools basements?
Books, needed supplies and basic school materials should be THE TOP PRIORITY for the Board of Education. Are state education officals aware of this? No wonder educational scores in Flint rank near the bottom nationally.
Teachers who are most likely taking their lives in their own hands just walking through the doors are paying for supplies for their own classroom? Whats happening in the classrooms where teachers arent "footing the bill"? What is the parents responsibility? Why should the teachers have to pay for it? For what? To be threatened and disrespected by students? Heaven forbid teachers discipline students now adays! That would be like playing russian roulette!
"Please sit down Carlos....I need you to pay attention Tawayna" "F#$% YOU TEACH!!!" "I need all of you to pay attention or you wont get your courtesy pencil today children."
WHAT A SHAME....just another situation that the rest of the country would be shocked and outraged by....but in Flint, it's just business as usual.
A quality education paid for with your tax dollars. INCREDIBLE!
HEY "DOCTOR" MILTON, why not give up half your yearly salary and show some commitment to the students you say you care about......I didnt think so! WHAT A SHAME!

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:03 pm 
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

I would prefer that my naysayers respond on this forum rather then send me an anonymus e-mail.
Let us all know what you really think and please be sure to use your "regular name".
Is it the message or the messenger? I still dont understand?
Did I say something you dont agree with? Dont the students deserve better?
I know its hard being slapped hard in the ass with a dose of reality, isnt it?
Just being sent to your room hasn't worked in Flint for a very long time now. Twisted Evil

OK, how about regional school districts, rather then hundred of schools districts, consolidate schools into larger districts (lets say 10) with one Superentendant and regional school board, establish Technical High schools for each new region (sort of like the old magnet schools Flint used to have). Each Technical (speacialty) school would serve communities in the newly designed districts. Communities could send students to the Tech School) The regional school boards would be elected in each district to replace existing commmittees/boards. Each school in the districts would be headed by a prinicpal who would serve as chairman of the new council. A local council of parents (of current students) and community members would advise each individual school. This way the community would have more control of each individual school.
This would save millions of dollars, get rid if several administrators that arent really needed. Putting the money where it should be!!
New (volunteer/elected or appointed) educational councils could look at what schools could possibly be consolidated within the district to save money or see if new regional schools might be built.
It might seem like a radical idea but desperate times call for desperate measures! Imagine how much money could be saved or spent directly on the education of your children....Any one else have any other ideas?

Last edited by Al Garcia on Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:23 pm 
Joe

quote:
Al Garcia schreef:
I would prefer that my naysayers respond on this forum rather then send me an anonymus e-mail.
Let us all know what you really think and please be sure to use your "regular name".
Just being sent to your room hasn't worked in Flint for a very long time now. Twisted Evil

Big Al, stop the whinning.. talk about the solutions, we know the problems, shit we live it....
Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:52 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Patience...it is only a matter of time before the state steps in to do what the board won't. They have the capacity for 32,000 students but only have 16,500. It's time to get rid of some dead weight. Unfortunately, the dead weight is the board.
Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:49 pm 
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Joe schreef:
quote:
Al Garcia schreef:

Big Al, stop the whinning.. talk about the solutions, we know the problems, shit we live it....

Hey Joe, I put my response under my last response. MY BAD! I do realize this would have to be a statewide plan.

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:45 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

We need to elect some people who can make the hard decisions, rather than doing what they think the public wants to hear. We need to close schools, consolidate and remove some of the people at the top.

Too many chiefs at the top making the big bucks, and too many people doing nothing. We need to turn the Flint School System around in order to turn Flint around. Its a proven fact there is a direct link between property values and school systems. We fix the problem with the schools Flint will make a HUGE turn around. You can put band aids all over the place, but the bleeding continues.

We need new schools, new technology, new curriculum and we need it now. Someone has to do the things necessary to make the turn around. Unfortunately, we can't sit by and try not to piss off some of the parents. I think we close the schools and we sell the property to bring money back into the school district, rather than letting these buildings sit and decay.

We need visionaries and true leaders to lead, others will follow.

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Al Garcia schreef:
OK,OK,OK....Let me get this straight. The Flint Community Schools cant afford to supply the students of Flint with basic pencils, paper and books? Youre not joking about this are you? Yet, there was enough money to pay an unregistered child molester a six figure income to be a top level school adminstrator? Wasnt there an issue last year with the Principal at Southwestern Academy purchasing expensive office furniture? What is wrong with the old metal desk that Im sure are collecting dust in some schools basements?
Books, needed supplies and basic school materials should be THE TOP PRIORITY for the Board of Education. Are state education officals aware of this? No wonder educational scores in Flint rank near the bottom nationally.
Teachers who are most likely taking their lives in their own hands just walking through the doors are paying for supplies for their own classroom? Whats happening in the classrooms where teachers arent "footing the bill"? What is the parents responsibility? Why should the teachers have to pay for it? For what? To be threatened and disrespected by students? Heaven forbid teachers discipline students now adays! That would be like playing russian roulette!
"Please sit down Carlos....I need you to pay attention Tawayna" "F#$% YOU TEACH!!!" "I need all of you to pay attention or you wont get your courtesy pencil today children."
WHAT A SHAME....just another situation that the rest of the country would be shocked and outraged by....but in Flint, it's just business as usual.
HEY "DOCTOR" MILTON, why not give up half your yearly salary and show some commitment to the students you say you care about......I didnt think so! WHAT A SHAME!

The simple question to ask is " Would you send your kids to Flint Community Schools?" Most people black, white or Latino say NO!.

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
We need to elect some people who can make the hard decisions, rather than doing what they think the public wants to hear. We need to close schools, consolidate and remove some of the people at the top.

Too many chiefs at the top making the big bucks, and too many people doing nothing. We need to turn the Flint School System around in order to turn Flint around. Its a proven fact there is a direct link between property values and school systems. We fix the problem with the schools Flint will make a HUGE turn around. You can put band aids all over the place, but the bleeding continues.

We need new schools, new technology, new curriculum and we need it now. Someone has to do the things necessary to make the turn around. Unfortunately, we can't sit by and try not to piss off some of the parents. I think we close the schools and we sell the property to bring money back into the school district, rather than letting these buildings sit and decay.

I agree Ryan...but the people of Flint continually elect those who won't make the hard decisions. I believe Dr. Chow had great plans, but they weren't what the board wanted to hear, therefor he was ousted in favor of someone who would tell the board what they wanted to hear, irrespective of the truth. Granted that the school board is a thankless job, but if you don't want what's best for the schools, don't run. Anytime any mention is made of closing any of the high schools, the public outcry causes the board to run back into ivory tower and cower with fear. I say "Do your job! Do what needs to be done or get the hell out!!!" I say again, it's only a matter of time before the State comes in to take over.
Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:26 am 
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
quote:
Al Garcia schreef:

The simple question to ask is " Would you send your kids to Flint Community Schools?" Most people black, white or Latino say NO!.

Ryan, the simple questions are easy to answer...of course, people of all color want the best out of FLint schools, It's the HARD QUESTIONS that need to be addressed. What do you think should be done? Dont skirt around the issue...Are you a "True Visionary", one of the "True Leaders" you mentioned? I proposed a radical statewide plan....what say you?

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:51 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
FlintConservative schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

I agree Ryan...but the people of Flint continually elect those who won't make the hard decisions. I believe Dr. Chow had great plans, but they weren't what the board wanted to hear, therefor he was ousted in favor of someone who would tell the board what they wanted to hear, irrespective of the truth. Granted that the school board is a thankless job, but if you don't want what's best for the schools, don't run. Anytime any mention is made of closing any of the high schools, the public outcry causes the board to run back into ivory tower and cower with fear. I say "Do your job! Do what needs to be done or get the hell out!!!" I say again, it's only a matter of time before the State comes in to take over.

Yeah Dr. Chow was a visionary for sure, I really supported that guy, he seemed to think and act very creatively. The State is breathing down their necks now, its only a matter of time.

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:42 pm 

Dr. Chow committed political suicide prior to stepping down.

He told the truth!

Not only did he propose closing Central, unless the people (alumni) wanted to support a millage to maintain and bring the building up to code, he proposed a seperate millage of close to the same amount to include all other (30?) FCS buildings.

Urban areas can't afford a millage for an aged Historical building much less a millage for 30 other buildings in the district.

In essense he told the "Central people" if you want to save it put up the cash!

This caused the "Great Schools committee" to refocus their "Save Central" agenda to be more inclusive of all school needs- be it structure or programs.

He then spoke to the State Legislature upon the askance of someone from the State Board of ED. This man was also removed from office soon after by the Governor. Will have to look up facts, names to support my failing memory. (have his speech on file)

Felix stated the unpopular truth on behalf of children and by doing so knew full well he was falling on his sword.

Funny thing though, almost two years prior -upon meeting him I asked my then 2nd grade child, What do you think of Dr. Chow? In the wisdom of a child she said, "I think he will look over me always, even when he is in Heaven."

Biggest failing of Dr. Chow- his skin wasn't dark enough for the Flint School Board.
Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:05 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

so sad, BUT true.

unfortunately people , ALL people of every color, ethnicity can not escape human behavior.

"racisim" is born, primarily of ignorance, and black people are just as susceptible to it as any other race.

the irony of it is, in this country, where they are first to have felt the sting of such treatment for many generations, they someselves can't help exhibiting the same behaviors when they get into a similar situation.

like the abused child, they become abusive parents.

Not all of course. But enough of them on the board to set a standard for the others. Mix in some testosterone with the ignorance and the ability to want to retaliate for any slight perceived, real or not, [Cleaves] and it is even worse.

I hope the state does step in. This is one case where Granholm has not done Flint any favors, but then she doesn't like Williamson anyway and she has come from the "practicing patronage" school of governance anyway [from her mentor Duke of Wayne County, Eddie "just leave the cash in a bag by the door" McNamara.

She knows who is deserved favors and NOT.

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:46 am 
James

Its soo sad that the superintendent has to be black. I hate this town cause the blacks moved in, and now the whites are all racists. Remember back in the good ole days, 30's -50's.. We didn't have this problem,but then slowly it has gotten worse. The black people ruined Flint, not GM.
Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:56 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
James schreef:
Its soo sad that the superintendent has to be black. I hate this town cause the blacks moved in, and now the whites are all racists. Remember back in the good ole days, 30's -50's.. We didn't have this problem,but then slowly it has gotten worse. The black people ruined Flint, not GM.

TROLL.

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:31 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
quote:
James schreef:

TROLL.

Amen, Biggie.
Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:59 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: