FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Screwing up our police department
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
We use to have a community police officer in Historic Carriage Town, but now we don't and haven't for years! When we had our local officers here, we had lower crime. People felt safer and knew who to call to get results done.

We need the Community Police Officers BACK!

Ryan, where is your mini-station? Who staffs it? If you have the volunteers to staff your local mini-station, and an active crime watch group you have a better chance of making connections. Can you make the City-Wide meeting on the 25th?

I have no clue where it is, I live in Historic Carriage Town, downtown Flint. We use to have an officers at every meeting ( crime watch ) in the neighborhood. Nothing for about 2 years now.

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
Check out the video report of this at:
http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=4928968

FLINT (WJRT) - (01/11/07)--For the first time, Flint residents Thursday night had the opportunity to address their concerns to members of the newly created Flint Citizens Service Bureau.

But instead of tackling the issue of violence, the inspectors spent more time defending their positions. Crime was the topic of discussion, but people seemed to have more questions about the service bureau and its purpose.

After roughly 20 minutes, many residents still were left feeling confused about what these inspectors do.

It was supposed to be a city-wide forum on crime in the city of Flint, a question-and-answer session from residents to members of the city's Citizens Service Bureau.

But a healthy discussion quickly took a different direction.

"I wish you would have told me your time frame, because right now to me, I haven't seen really anything accomplished," said Sharon Burnett.

Much concern surrounded whether the bureau was draining resources from the police department; others questioned their purpose.

David Dicks, a member of the mayor's appointed task force, spent most of the time defending their position.

"We are not here to engage in controversy or cause arguments," he said. "We're not here to debate."

Meeting organizer Burnett booked space in the Anderson Elementary Auditorium for two hours. The inspectors wrapped up after only 20 minutes.

Councilman Sheldon Neely pleaded for them to stay.

"I would respectfully request that you officers stay and answer the questions," he said.

They declined.

Whats your opinion on this Adam?

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

"I have no clue where it is, I live in Historic Carriage Town, downtown Flint. We use to have an officers at every meeting ( crime watch ) in the neighborhood. Nothing for about 2 years now. " quote from Ryan.

Ryan, The LT. assures me COPS officers will still attend crime watch meetings. Call the COPS/neighborhood police office 237-6853(IN ADVANCE) tell them the time and place of your crime watch meeting request an officer to attend.

They will attend, take notes of complaints and depending on Officer follow up on complaints.

This is only a small portion of what a COPS officer should be doing. They should bring resources, Hot Spot Sheets, info number cards and above all train the community on HOW to file a useful complaint. Ex. not only description of car but also description of driver ETC.

Resource officers should provide this training to communities. They were only allowed to work day time shift -most crime watch meetings are in the evening.(they have been transferred)

OFC. Ross did provide training to crime watches in a location downtown last summer. Like at noon and not at usual crime watch locations.
Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:52 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

Whats your opinion on this Adam?

I thought it was pretty sad. Richard Dicks even without somehow losing his police weapon in the past and having a drunk driving incident in the past as well as rumored other infractions would not be my choice as a public spokesman for anything.

Something that was not reported was that Dicks according to Neely and Alex harris said to councilman Neely that he heard he did crack. I do not debate this at all because Neely immediately asked Harris if he heard him say this. Obviously this is not good public relations.

The one question I have is these officers seemed confident that Williamson is going to win re-election.

If I was the mayor I would try and cut down on communtiy crime meetings. We have about 200 or so block clubs. I think we should have only one or maybe two main block club meetings per precinct. I think Flint would be better organized if it structured itself along the political structure we have in place.

I personally see the block club structure as similar to our ombudsman solution to bad government. In other words block clubs are not the answer. To combat crime we would want to have the best mayor, and best police chief (Mark Williams) in the nation. Then you let Chief Mark Williams and his deputy chief (perhaps the lone sargant that visited him in the hospital) clean house. I think suddenly calls would start getting responded to and instead of going to block clubs to talk about crime people would start calling the police department again.

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:07 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Not sure, I am sure the mayor will do a good job doing it. Gary Hartley would be a great police cheif.

Last edited by Ryan Eashoo on Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:48 pm 

Adam,

I have tried to get block clubs, crime watches to cross invisible borders to share information with each other. To have resource officers meet with say all groups on the Eastside. Asked the resource Officer to give me a date and I would work to get all groups to the table. Still waiting...

Groups are Siloistic- will not go to a city-wide meeting. You have to at least quarter the city- provide a meeting place somewhat close or they are not interested.

WE must have communication between officers and citizens. People can be the eyes and ears if given adequate training. We can not have witnesses remain silent.

Now during the COPS millage we had many officers at block club meetings. Wasting time listening to nothing of consequence. Officers did not supply training...could have been on the road for all the good they did. You witnessed meetings during the askance of millage this is not normal police attendance. You can not base your judgement on this moment of time. It takes years to take the pulse of the community.

Citizens have said many, many times they should be able to report crime anonymously. Still they report a drug house and the officer pulls up at their house and then pulls into the drug house. Hmm..retaliation?

WE need the block clubs to be eyes and ears in their small areas. We need the leaders of these block clubs to bring the information from small meetings to larger group meetings,with LT in attendance.

Sgt. or cops are scared to say anything they just listen. The heirarchy (sp) needs change.

The community crime meetings cost nothing so why would you wish to CUT them. We need to link them and let me tell you that is not easy.

You need to maybe put your book down during a meeting and listen.

And I was not drown out...could not be a voting officer at that particular meeting so bit my tongue. SMILE! Likely the only time I have ever held my tongue.

Peace!
Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:38 am 
pissed off ma ma bear

You need to do somthing Ryan,,,I was showing your listing in Carriage town a month back,,,and my inverstors walked,,,because we got harrased not once but three times by people from Carriage Town ministries wanting some money,,,,beggers,,,,,and on the corner was a girl on her cell phone calling her John,,,you could tell she was a hooker,,,so I agree,,,I was totally shocked at how their were no police around
Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:53 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Anonymous schreef:
Adam,

I have tried to get block clubs, crime watches to cross invisible borders to share information with each other. To have resource officers meet with say all groups on the Eastside. Asked the resource Officer to give me a date and I would work to get all groups to the table. Still waiting...

Groups are Siloistic- will not go to a city-wide meeting. You have to at least quarter the city- provide a meeting place somewhat close or they are not interested.

WE must have communication between officers and citizens. People can be the eyes and ears if given adequate training. We can not have witnesses remain silent.

Now during the COPS millage we had many officers at block club meetings. Wasting time listening to nothing of consequence. Officers did not supply training...could have been on the road for all the good they did. You witnessed meetings during the askance of millage this is not normal police attendance. You can not base your judgement on this moment of time. It takes years to take the pulse of the community.

Citizens have said many, many times they should be able to report crime anonymously. Still they report a drug house and the officer pulls up at their house and then pulls into the drug house. Hmm..retaliation?

WE need the block clubs to be eyes and ears in their small areas. We need the leaders of these block clubs to bring the information from small meetings to larger group meetings,with LT in attendance.

Sgt. or cops are scared to say anything they just listen. The heirarchy (sp) needs change.

The community crime meetings cost nothing so why would you wish to CUT them. We need to link them and let me tell you that is not easy.

You need to maybe put your book down during a meeting and listen.

And I was not drown out...could not be a voting officer at that particular meeting so bit my tongue. SMILE! Likely the only time I have ever held my tongue.

Peace!

Have you ever tried meeting with the chief? I wonder if he is too busy "fighting crime" to listen to you. To be fair even when you don't bite your tongue when you are a voting member you can still get out voted but anyways the book I was reading was Leadership by giuliani about the turnaround he and his administration accomplished in NYC.

I'm not saying we should cut the community meetings I was trying to say that we should combine them. I think it would be eassier for our community grops to work together if we only had 250, block club meetings as opposed to 1,000. Ideally In a perfect world I think we could have about 40 block club meetings a month but this is not a perfect world and people have varying schedules but I still think we might be able to get by with 250 meetings a month. That is still 3,000 (9,000 hours) meetings for our officers to try and attend.

I think focusing on our precincts could help restore our political structure in Flint. For example I think me and Josh Freeman may be the only precinct delegates in the 4th ward when there should be about 30 of us.

I think having 100's if not 1000 or perhaps even 1000's of fragmented groups in this city is not the solution to try to "get block clubs, crime watches to cross invisible borders to share information with each other."

Ideally though I think the main meeting in the city of Flint should be the city council meeting. It's really scary when the mayor, police chief, city administrator, parks director, etc almost never come to those meetings. How is that working together?

In summary I feel your idea of linking the meetings together would be best served by combining groups by precinct. Obviously that is not always possible (EBA) but in some cases it is.

This is all just theory though because currently it seems we are heading in a direction where there will be more fragmented community groups for people like you to try and coordinate and more meetings for our officers to try and attend.

I know this may seem strange to you but if you read Leadership by Giuliani about the turnaround of NYC I think you will see where I am coming from.

On a more positive note I hope whoever wins mayor will seek out people like you with the best ideas or at least take the time to listen to them.

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:57 pm 

Adam,

Not everyone is a political animal! Precincts? No, Quadrants.

Looking at possible (future) 10 areas of community policing- not your electorial precincts.

Combine them in to 4 areas of Crime watch training , Quarterly meetings.

Goodness, sounds like too many volunteer hours for me to attempt to consolidate.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease but this wheel may have caused too many bumps already.

Need to ride out this political policing stuff till we can get back to opportunities.

There is NO way officers under any title should/ could overide a LT's decision.
Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:56 am 
pissed off ma ma bear

you know what,,,from what I have seen first hand of this police department,,,I will never,,,,ever travel to Flint without a GUN,,,,ever,,,,my husband has his concealed weapons permit and I am gona get mine now,,,we have to start protecting our right to peace and happiness and it is being taken away,,,by street thugs with guns who are robbing and shooting and killing,,,and the police cannot handle the way the police is structured is terrible,,,they need a new CHIEF who can fix this shit now,,,,,,
Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:33 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

I don't care if we organize Flint by precincts or quadrants or by the city council meetings but I do think having Flint split up into over 200 block club sections is not the way to go. Personally I would prefer having the city council meetings be the key event.

The sad thing is I think pissed off ma ma bear has a very good point. Just think if her son would have had the ability to defend himself. He might be alive today. I thought about a militia concept for Flint. If you have 70 armed volunteers you could call your neighborhood volunteer when you have a problem. Their response time would probably beat the Flint police 9 times out of 10. When I heard about Tony Palidino's shocking story of someone attempting to commit murder in I think Kearsly park I immediately thought to myself it would be nice it Tony would have had a nice rifle handy to take out one of our potential killers. Currently some of our killings are due to street justice because if you want someone to be punished for killing your freind or realative the police will probably not arrest the killer. Most killers in Flint do get away with it. That's unacceptible.

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:09 pm 

Ok so now we have a new Cops Program "Again" This coming from a Chief who disbanded the first program that had on paper 40 Officers paid by a grant but knowing they did not have 40 Officers they used stats from other Officers to make up the numbers. Flint could never run a program like this should be run. because they needed the Cops Officer to run call out side of the Cops areas. To keep up with the Patrol Officers who do not have enough Officers to handle the call volume. " Hey is this a election year?" I wonder why the "Don" is loading a new program so he can pull a big smoke screen up, throw the dogs a bone and come back next year. after all he needs to keep his cronies working. [/b]
Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:10 pm 

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
How to keep our officers from doing their jobs:

Move officers who excel at their position to another position and put rookie officers in their place:
"For example, a transfer that takes effect Sunday moves a veteran arson investigator with a track record for solving difficult arson cases. He's being sent to the patrol bureau and being replaced with a detective who doesn't have arson experience, the officers said."

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-41/1168012260302450.xml&coll=5
Williamson moves prompt officers to file complaints
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Friday, January 05, 2007
By Kim Crawford and Marjory Raymer
JOURNAL STAFF WRITERS
FLINT - Dozens of Flint police officers have filed complaints alleging the city violated their civil rights when Mayor Don Williamson created new positions of inspector and major without posting those jobs.

"Blacks and whites, officers (of all different) rank across the board," said Terry Neely, president of the Afro-American Police League, describing police personnel who filed complaints with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

A spokesman for the Michigan Civil Rights Department, which handles many complaints for the federal commission, confirmed the department has received "multiple complaints" from Flint police.

"While I can't go into detail, I can say there is a relatively large number of complaints from Flint officers," said Harold Core, public information officer for the state department.

Williamson denied that his selections of the officers - four blacks and one woman - for the promotions amounted to reverse discrimination.

"They are running their mouth and they don't know what they are talking about," Williamson said.

Williamson called a news conference on the issue Thursday along with his attorney, George Peck. Peck attributed the complaints to disgruntled employees who are resistant to change.

Neely said he and many other officers, black and white, also are angry about the transfer of several officers and sergeants to different jobs within the department. He charges Williamson ordered their transfers in retaliation because they'd complained to the City Council that there was only one black lieutenant in the department's command structure.

Williamson said the transfers move people who have been in jobs too long and cross-train personnel.

"We are changing everybody every few months," Williamson said.

Most police officers who spoke with The Flint Journal, on the condition they not be identified, say the transfers are a bad idea because they move officers with specific expertise.

For example, a transfer that takes effect Sunday moves a veteran arson investigator with a track record for solving difficult arson cases. He's being sent to the patrol bureau and being replaced with a detective who doesn't have arson experience, the officers said.

This latest dispute appears to have ended a truce and promise of compromise between the mayor and unions representing police employees.

In November, at the prompting of the Flint branch of the NAACP, Williamson, acting Police Chief Gary Hagler, Neely and the president of the Flint Police Officers Union, Keith Speer, held a press conference and talked of solving differences after meeting with a federal Justice Department mediator.

In the days that followed, several police officers who'd been fired quietly returned to work. Though union and city officials declined to comment on those returns, some thought it was a sign the two sides were settling matters.

NAACP Flint Branch President Frances L. Gilcreast expressed disappointment that relations between police officers and Williamson have apparently deteriorated.

"This wasn't supposed to supposed to be about the mayor, not about the officers, but for the community," Gilcreast said.

Hey wouldnt you hate to have your arson case still sitting on that empty desk.
Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:47 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: