FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Williamson shows up for Eastside church ceremony
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

This is nice that the mayor, Buchanan and Sandy Hill all made this event.

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-1/1167495611223430.xml&coll=5

Eastwood finally building permanent house of worship
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Saturday, December 30, 2006
By George Jaksa
gjaksa@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6332
FLINT - Mike Tew wondered if it would ever happen. But there he was with cane in hand watching the outdoor ritual groundbreaking for a new Eastwood United Methodist Church.

"I didn't know if it would happen," said Tew, 83, after the brief ceremony on Dec. 21 marking the start of a $350,000 new church after a half-century of waiting.

Church members started worshipping in a house and then in a temporary school building at Averill and Whittier avenues in 1953.

Construction started three years later on the same property for a $100,000 brick building that was to serve as a temporary sanctuary. At the time, the plan was to change the building into an education center when a permanent church was erected.

Now, after a woman who attended the church in the early 1950s left $150,000 to the church, followed by a $50,000 gift, tithing by members and selling bricks for the church, construction of a one-story split block building will start after Christmas with completion expected in mid-summer, according to the Rev. Mary Spencer, pastor for almost 10 years.

The current church will become a community center and fellowship hall.

"Fifty-three years ago, this church started with a temporary building," Spencer told about 50 people at the groundbreaking, "The people at that time had a vision to build a church to reach out to this community.

"Now we take that light of the word of God into the community."

Flint Mayor Donald Williamson, his wife, Patsy Lou, City Council President Darryl Buchanan and Fourth Ward Councilwoman Sandy Hill were on hand for the ceremony held on the asphalt church parking lot next to the current church where the new sanctuary will be built. Outline for the new building was already marked on the pavement.

Williamson gave Spencer a check for $500 saying it "is very, very crucial that we keep the good Lord in our spirit."

The Rev. Andrew Allie, district superintendent of the United Methodist Church, reminded listeners that being Christians is more than building buildings.

"It is about building relationships with the Lord and with one another," he said, and quoting another source, added. "You can pound all the nails you can but if you are not building relationships, you are wasting your time."

Brian Britton, vice president of Family Building Co. Inc., of Atlas Township, said the 3,500-square-foot structure the company will erect will be centered around a sanctuary that will seat 140 under an asphalt roof and even have a steeple, a long-time dream of the congregation.

"This church is known as the mighty little Eastwood with the people who do a lot," said Pew.

"I'll tell you, it's a wonderful church to belong to."

The 106-member church became Eastwood Methodist with the 1955 merger of congregations from Kearsley and Thrift City Methodist churches.

Kearsley Church was located in the heart of the Flint College and Cultural Development and closed after 40 years to make way for the project.
Post Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:51 pm 
John

See this Mayor is doing all he can to help Flint. He is out in the community!
Post Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:21 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

While it is nice that he managed to make this event I think it would be really nice if he'd also show up for city council meetings.
Post Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:10 pm 
rapunzel

The Rev. Andrew Allie, district superintendent of the United Methodist Church, reminded listeners that being Christians is more than building buildings.

"It is about building relationships with the Lord and with one another," he said, and quoting another source, added. "You can pound all the nails you can but if you are not building relationships, you are wasting your time."

Eastwood sits within a stones throw of Potter school. In the concept of One Church, One School they support Potter School. Every year they supply pencils, paper and notebooks to (500) Potter students. The ladies groups make mittens and gather food baskets at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Potter School is thankful for their support of our children and families.

That being said....

They talked about building a gym when one exists already right acrossed the street. They talked about wanting to mentor Boy Scouts at the church but wanted them to come to thier building rather than mentor them where the children are..at the school.
Schools, Boy scouts, Girl Scouts need mentors!!!

Hate to quote Cleaves but he has said many times..We have quarter million dollar church buildings and our schools are in deplorable condition.

Why do we have duplication of services? Flint Schools once had Community School directors that ran community programs in the school buildings.

Flint Schools is trying to return to this concept but it is more of an expense than the priority of education can afford.

Harriet Kenworthy in her short time on the board laid the groundwork for a "community foundation fund" that would support this type of program. That would support say the band equipment, programs for community ed etc. with community donations. These funds would not be used for regular education but for extra- curricular student needs.

Perhaps, I am not thankful enough for what Eastwood already does. That I see the siloistic attitude to want to mentor students in thier building rather than improve the programs in a building that is a community school.

I see a plethora of churches running programs for a few children in the hopes to pull families in to their houses of God. Instead of many churches supporting many children in the few houses of Community Education.

Being Christian is more than building buildings.

RAP
Post Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:27 pm 
Dave

RAP you seem to always have some answers, but never solutions. To me it seems you like to .. a lot but not get down and dirty. You and Dayne Walling should team up.
Post Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:02 pm 
Bad Rap

Dave I agree with you whole heartedly, people need to follow thru and do something, rather than just talk about it. Same goes for Ryan Eashoo, Adam Ford, Josh Freeman and Dayne " elitist" Walling.

I want to see these people working, not just talking about the problem. Lets work on them.
Post Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:55 pm 
rapunzel

the Community Foundation proposed is a solution, one of many. The work of getting donors on board is a process.

Words without deeds, is just hot air!

Should I give you a list of what I have done...pat myself or give a list of what yet needs be done?

Apply myself to this list and find others to also step up.

I need NO validation while I see so much still on the front burner.

So I agree, lets work on them!

Peace,
RAP
Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:27 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

If you guys would attend meetings with Rapunzel you'd know that she is typically drowned out by naysayers and drowned out by idiots that don't know what the hell they're talking about. It's not Rapunzel that is not accomplishing anything it is people at her meetings that drown her out from accomplishing things.

The only legitimate criticism I have is that there's a lot of liberal people like Rapunzel that don't understand you shouldn't have to go to community meeting after community meeting to get things implemented but at least she tries and has an understanding of what needs to be done unlike the vast majority of us.

I've accomplished very little because it doesn't seem like this city doesn't cares about good ideas or following it's constitution. It seems like the better an idea is in Flint the less likely it is to get implemented. As an example

Implement anti-violence marches done
Hire a great police chief not done

Community meetings done
Implement solutions from community meetings not done

Complain about no jobs done
Contact Toyota about buying Buick City not done.

Do a police department study done
Implement any of the recommendations not done
Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:53 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Rapunzel, there's a fine line here, it's the separation between church and state. Schools and churches sponsor their own activities. However, church members sometimes sponsor community activities inviting the public, such as many churches in Flint did in October for Halloween. We can hope that there were a few new relationships built in the community as a result of those efforts. The pastor of the church near me is very concerned about the youth of today and recognizes the need to reach out to them; the problem is getting them to come to church. In the summer church members go door to door handing out flyers inviting youth to summer programs.

I am thankful for whatever church members do for their community, whether individually or in the name of the church.

You quoted Cleaves saying, "We have quarter million dollar church buildings and our schools are in deplorable condition."

The reason for that is the difference in available funding. Church members typically tithe 10% of their income. Income tax in the City of Flint is only 1% and there aren't many employees left in the City of Flint to pay that tax. Many students in Flint City Schools don't have parents who work. Consider the per capita income following, and the poverty line.

As of the 2000 U.S. Census, "The median income for a household in the city was $28,015, and the median income for a family was $31,424. Males had a median income of $34,009 versus $24,237 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,733. About 22.9% of families and 26.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 37.4% of those under age 18 and 13.4% of those age 65 or over." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flint,_Michigan

2006 Federal Poverty Guidelines
http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/06poverty.shtml

2006 Poverty Guidelines, Federal Register Notice (chart)
http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/06fedreg.htm

FYI, here are several local charitable foundations:
Charles Stewart Mott Foundation, http://www.mott.org/
Community Foundation of Greater Flint, http://www.cfgf.org/about.htm
Ruth Mott Foundation, http://www.ruthmottfoundation.org

You wrote: "Perhaps, I am not thankful enough for what Eastwood already does. That I see the siloistic attitude to want to mentor students in their building rather than improve the programs in a building that is a community school."

"I see a plethora of churches running programs for a few children in the hopes to pull families in to their houses of God. Instead of many churches supporting many children in the few houses of Community Education."

I don't know what you mean by "siloistic" and it's not clear to me what you would rather have the church do than what they have done, or what you would have them do in addition. Could you elaborate, please
Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:56 pm 
FlintConservative

[quote="00SL2"]You quoted Cleaves saying, "We have quarter million dollar church buildings and our schools are in deplorable condition."

The reason for that is the difference in available funding. Church members typically tithe 10% of their income. Income tax in the City of Flint is only 1% and there aren't many employees left in the City of Flint to pay that tax. Many students in Flint City Schools don't have parents who work. Consider the per capita income following, and the poverty line.

First, church members tithing is not typical, but unusual. I would suggest those that tithe are in a very small minority (unfortunately).

Second, what does city income tax have to do with school funding? Nothing. The school district is a totally separate entity from the city and
is funded by the state in the form of per pupil grants and from local property taxes.
Post Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:03 am 
rapunzel

Let me first apologize...I appreciate Eastwood and all these groups that strive to make a difference in our communities.

Siloistic- is working in a silo unto yourself or your groups goals. Duplication of services.
Many groups are working for the same goals..if they would combine resources and work together for the same goal...combined the results are reached.

Networking is such a beautiful thing. When I reach my goal and get say 10 groups working together, each group has a forte that they are good at .When each brings what they know how to do best to the table...
the table overflows and is full. All bases are covered. Goals reached have brought tears to my eyes while I see those leaving with full hands and knowledge of available sevices conveyed. Sharing information little known is key.

When each group works unto themselves they still do well but few bases few needs are fully covered.

Yes, Prop A addresses per pupil funding...day to day operations, teacher and admin pay, books & programs. Our taxes pay into this school fund.

When Prop A was legislated they were to come back to the table and address building needs- facilities. This has not been done so communities that are inclining can levy millages to build new school buildings or improve existing buildings. above a certain amount they can levy a low interest state backed bond.

I am saying we can not afford any more millages!!! The state keeps dropping services so we are accosted with millages to continue services. IE...the state will cut out services to seniors so if you do not vote for the senior service millage these said programs will be cut?? millage passes ..now these service funds are on local taxes rather than state funded taxes.

I am saying instead of building additions to churches to have community centers (funding from donations-tithes) that is a duplication of existing programs. Instead put donations into school community foundations- volunteer funds and mentors to one locale.Rather than five churches with new buildings and programs ...work together for one Great building and one multifaceted program with all contributers.

I know I am dreaming...but it could be if only people could work for a common goal.
Post Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:31 am 
Rapunzel

OOSL2 said..
We can hope that there were a few new relationships built in the community as a result of those efforts. The pastor of the church near me is very concerned about the youth of today and recognizes the need to reach out to them; the problem is getting them to come to church. In the summer church members go door to door handing out flyers inviting youth to summer programs.

The problem could be instead getting the church to come into the schools? I agree there is the line between church and state. Church members entering the schools doing good works would not be allowed to discuss God in the school. They can still say I am from this church we are reaching out to the community. end. they do not have to push the church, or God but godly works speak for themselves in kindness.

Let me back up here...and explain. Could possibly have mentors from a church or churches mentor a girl or boy scout program something fun afterschool- do not discuss God but values, character. Fun activities and mentoring. Halloween program - i borrowed games from the church got food donated ...had hundreds of kids. Now the church could have jumped on board. Possibly could have built bridges which could have resulted in families attending the church later.

This fine line - this disconnect can be bridged.

Summer programs in the schools have food donated from the food bank...some churches do also. The food bank can only cover just so many programs. Now I like my child learning bible study at church two week programs. Children need food and character building all summer.

Churches send people to countries to build schools and spread christian beliefs. Churches could reach out to public schools, enhance the existing buildings. Mentors to teach godly ideals without saying "In God we trust'.

What are the ten commandments but basic precepts on community guidelines. Ideals?

Ask not why the children do not come into the church, ask why the church can not come into the schools?

My father the athesist would have raised Holy Hell if a church member would have came into the school and spoke to me about GOD. He would have said nothing if a church member was a mentor and spoke to me about not stealing or how I could do good deeds or how I could speak kindly to those less fortunate.

These children need this as much as they need buildings without asbestos or mold. A bathroom that has toilet paper holders and doors on stalls, soap dispensers, papertowels. Water fountains that work or at least have less than hot- (blank) water.

sorry...I could go on for ever about the conditions of Flint School buildings many built in the 1920's. Somehow, someway we have to fix these. Godly is as godly does. Children do not need a steeple, to have a safe environment , clean air for 7 hrs per day 180 days per year would be blessed.

Peace,
RAP
Post Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:08 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Flint Conservative wrote:

"First, church members tithing is not typical, but unusual. I would suggest those that tithe are in a very small minority (unfortunately)."

Flint Conservative, how else do you suggest churches are able to build in the manner RAP has described?

"Second, what does city income tax have to do with school funding? Nothing. The school district is a totally separate entity from the city and is funded by the state in the form of per pupil grants and from local property taxes."

Thanks for pointing that. My misunderstanding is one illustration of where citizens need to be more educated concerning how collected tax dollars are used. My most recent property tax statements break down as follows, some areas worthy of separate topics for discussion.

2006 SUMMER, TAX RATE
Mich Ed Tax 6.00000
Flint Sch Alloc 0.00000
Flint Sch Oper 18.00000
GISD Allocated 0.16350
GISD Spec Ed 2.40780
GISD Voc Ed 0.96280
C S Mott Oper 1.98960
CS Mott Debt 0.69000
Flint Operating 7.50000
Pub Improvement 2.50000
Neigh Police 2.00000
Public Trans 0.60000
Parks and Rec 0.50000
Garbage 3.00000
Flint DDA Oper 1.99840
Flint Pub Lib 2.90000
County Operating 3.67140
Total Levy 54.88350

2006 WINTER, TAX RATE
County Operating 1.83580
County Parks 0.48470
Paramedic Serv 0.48470
Airport Auth 0.48470
Mass Transit 0.79980
Senior Citizens 0.70000
Health Care 1.00000
Total Levy 5.78970

Sorry, there doesn't seem to be a tab in formatting, and the extra spaces are not holding in the text.
Post Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:46 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
rapunzel schreef:
Siloistic- is working in a silo unto yourself or your groups goals. Duplication of services. . . . 10 groups working together, each group has a forte that they are good at. When each brings what they know how to do best to the table...leaving with full hands and knowledge of available sevices conveyed. Sharing information little known is key.
Good time to mention again the City-Wide Crime Watch meeting to be held Jan. 25, 7 p.m. at Durant Tuuri Mott.

quote:
Rather than five churches with new buildings and programs ...work together for one Great building and one multifaceted program with all contributers. . . . . I know I am dreaming...but it could be if only people could work for a common goal.

The greatest issue in this city is getting people to work together without conflict, no matter what the goal is. This is something we need to emphasize to our city council members.
Post Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:18 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Flint Conservative wrote:

"First, church members tithing is not typical, but unusual. I would suggest those that tithe are in a very small minority (unfortunately)."

Flint Conservative, how else do you suggest churches are able to build in the manner RAP has described?

It's definitely church member contributions, I just don't think most of them tithe (10% of their income to the church).

"Second, what does city income tax have to do with school funding? Nothing. The school district is a totally separate entity from the city and is funded by the state in the form of per pupil grants and from local property taxes."

Thanks for pointing that. My misunderstanding is one illustration of where citizens need to be more educated concerning how collected tax dollars are used. My most recent property tax statements break down as follows, some areas worthy of separate topics for discussion.

2006 SUMMER, TAX RATE
Mich Ed Tax 6.00000
Flint Sch Alloc 0.00000
Flint Sch Oper 18.00000
GISD Allocated 0.16350
GISD Spec Ed 2.40780
GISD Voc Ed 0.96280
C S Mott Oper 1.98960
CS Mott Debt 0.69000
Flint Operating 7.50000
Pub Improvement 2.50000
Neigh Police 2.00000
Public Trans 0.60000
Parks and Rec 0.50000
Garbage 3.00000
Flint DDA Oper 1.99840
Flint Pub Lib 2.90000
County Operating 3.67140
Total Levy 54.88350

2006 WINTER, TAX RATE
County Operating 1.83580
County Parks 0.48470
Paramedic Serv 0.48470
Airport Auth 0.48470
Mass Transit 0.79980
Senior Citizens 0.70000
Health Care 1.00000
Total Levy 5.78970

Sorry, there doesn't seem to be a tab in formatting, and the extra spaces are not holding in the text.

18 mills Flint school operating....why have you not claimed homestead? That millage is only supposed to be levied on non-homestead property.
Post Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:10 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: