FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint's surplus = $8.9 million according to draft audit
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

For the second year in a row the city of Flint has a budget surplus??

Lib-Speak - Budget Surplus = Over Tax

Wake up people!!
Why is the City holding on to our money!!
If it is really is a surplus (overtax) give it back in rebates!! It is our money not theirs!!

Flint Talk Discussion:
http://flinttalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=7146

Flint audit claims fund surplus
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Wednesday, December 27, 2006
By Marjory Raymer
mraymer@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6325
FLINT - For the second year in a row, city officials expect to post a budget surplus, according to a draft audit report.

Flint's fund balance is $8.9 million, according to the report that will go to the state Friday - two days before the deadline.

This is the second fiscal year since the end of a state-ordered financial takeover of the city brought on by a debt estimated at $40 million and the city's inability to provide accurate and timely financial reports.

The $8.9 million fund balance represents 14 percent of the total 2006 general fund budget.

"The city's been able to make substantial capital improvements while being financially responsible," said Finance Director Peter Dobrzeniecki, who prepared the report.

The report notes that in the past year, the city hired 12 additional police officers, spent $11.5 million on infrastructure improvements - mostly street paving - and increased other fund balances, such as the water fund (up to $11.3 million) and sewer fund (up to $49 million).

"That's good news. We hope we can stay on that same trend," said 8th Ward City Councilman Ehren Gonzales.

Officially, it's been just shy of one year since the state emergency financial takeover ended.

Gov. Jennifer Granholm lifted the order in January 2006, a month after the city posted a $6.1-million surplus, the first in six years.

The gesture was largely symbolic by then. Emergency financial manager Ed Kurtz controlled City Hall for two years from May 2002-July 2004 and power was then returned to Mayor Donald Williamson and the City Council.

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-41/1167234602232210.xml&coll=5

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:55 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted J

Way to go Steve! That was actually my first thought. I was waiting to see who would respond and how. Thus my responses on the other thread. GOOD POINT!! ATTA BOY!

Cool
Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:04 pm 
Joe

Steve you don't live in the City, so you would get 8.9million divided by people, ='s $0.00 for you.
Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:58 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Joe schreef:
Steve you don't live in the City, so you would get 8.9million divided by people, ='s $0.00 for you.

Steve pays city taxes.
Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:04 pm 
Joe

He does?
Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:17 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Wow, Steve, you point something out that is universally true and you get slammed. LOL O'Well It was an excellent point none the less.

However, That did give me an idea.... That's about 75 dollars per resident in the city of Flint.... Oops got the thoughts flowing now.

Paperboy incident a buck twenty (1.20) per person.
Extra spent on Garbage Trucks 5.72 cents per resident. Or 26.74 total per resident for all of them.
4.23 cents more each resident paid for Tahoes instead of buying impalas.

I've got a new line of thinking now. Thanks!
Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Joe schreef:
He does?

If you work in Flint, you get the honor of paying income tax, even if you live elsewhere and use another city's services.

Now that's even worse than being a resident and paying taxes. You pay and get NOTHING at all for it.

At least as a resident you get city [theoretically] city services; water, waste management, police, fire protection, larry Ford & herb Cleaves lookin' out for your interests, the ability to borrow the fire dept generator's, visit the mayor's halloween wonderland, etc etc

as a non-resident worker in the city, you get to pay 1/2 pct income tax and get to run the gauntlet into and out of Flint everyday.

So yes, if Steve collects a paycheck within the limit he does indeed pay Flint city income taxes.

get in line Steve.

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:27 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Steve wrote:
quote:
For the second year in a row the city of Flint has a budget surplus??

Lib-Speak - Budget Surplus = Over Tax

Wake up people!!
Why is the City holding on to our money!!
If it is really is a surplus (overtax) give it back in rebates!! It is our money not theirs!!

That's spontaneous reaction, Steve. However, it is a "draft" audit of the General Fund. How many accounts and services have been cut to create the surplus? IMO if there is actually a large surplus in the final audit, then it's time to review the overall budget to see where a portion of it should be spread around. We can all suggest where we think the needs are greatest, as if it would make any difference. But we can sure contact our council representatives and make our opinions known!

Example: On the personal level, some employees may have received a nice year-end or Christmas bonus. Many of them may just find it easier to pay the monthly bills and won't actually realize any personal surplus to spend for pleasure. For those people, it's a relief to have the extra cash, but the excitement is short lived.
Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:39 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
IMO if there is actually a large surplus in the final audit, then it's time to review the overall budget to see where a portion of it should be spread around. We can all suggest where we think the needs are greatest, as if it would make any difference. But we can sure contact our council representatives and make our opinions known!

Excellent Idea!

So I would reccomend (IMHO) That we call the Mayor's office and voice our concerns over opening the City Jail. Here's few facts to help ya out.

When the Jail was open. It cost 1.5 million to operate. It did generate 330,000 a year from Fines and fees that people actually paid under threat of ACTUALLY going to jail. Which comes to 1.2 Million...

Hmmm How much was the surplus over the Amount that was left for the Mayor after the take over? 6.1!

So if we take the current 8.9 - 6.1 = 2.8 hmmm 1.2 x 2years = 2.4.

Am I missing something or is there something missing from the Budget?
Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Joe schreef:
He does?

If you live in Flint, work in Flint, own property in Flint typically you pay Flint city taxes. Another way of thinking of this: If a business decides to locate in Flint they pay higher taxes then they would elsewhere. We are near the max in the what we can legally force people and businesses to pay in taxes. We are almost maxed out in property tax and we are maxed out in city income tax our liberal state allows us to charge residents and non residentds. In addition Michigan is overtaxed as well. Some conservative states do not pay income tax. I'm very opposed to Flint's income tax. It encourages high wage earners to live elsewhere.

To see the detrimental effects of taxation that this can have business people like Steve are strongly encouraged to live outside of the city and work outside the city to save in taxation and paperwork. Although liberal residents seemingly enjoy paying high taxes conservative businesses typically do not. A 1 or 2% in added costs could put a lot of businesses out of businesses. [/url]
Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:50 am 
Karen

quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
quote:
Joe schreef:
He does?

If you work in Flint, you get the honor of paying income tax, even if you live elsewhere and use another city's services.

Now that's even worse than being a resident and paying taxes. You pay and get NOTHING at all for it.

At least as a resident you get city [theoretically] city services; water, waste management, police, fire protection, larry Ford & herb Cleaves lookin' out for your interests, the ability to borrow the fire dept generator's, visit the mayor's halloween wonderland, etc etc

as a non-resident worker in the city, you get to pay 1/2 pct income tax and get to run the gauntlet into and out of Flint everyday.

So yes, if Steve collects a paycheck within the limit he does indeed pay Flint city income taxes.

get in line Steve.

Is FLint talk based out of flint? I looked at public records and find he doesnt live in flint.
Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:56 am 
Karen

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
quote:
Joe schreef:
He does?

If you live in Flint, work in Flint, own property in Flint typically you pay Flint city taxes. Another way of thinking of this: If a business decides to locate in Flint they pay higher taxes then they would elsewhere. We are near the max in the what we can legally force people and businesses to pay in taxes. We are almost maxed out in property tax and we are maxed out in city income tax our liberal state allows us to charge residents and non residentds. In addition Michigan is overtaxed as well. Some conservative states do not pay income tax. I'm very opposed to Flint's income tax. It encourages high wage earners to live elsewhere.

To see the detrimental effects of taxation that this can have business people like Steve are strongly encouraged to live outside of the city and work outside the city to save in taxation and paperwork. Although liberal residents seemingly enjoy paying high taxes conservative businesses typically do not. A 1 or 2% in added costs could put a lot of businesses out of businesses. [/url]

Steve doesn't live or work in flint.
Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:57 am 
Joe

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
quote:
Joe schreef:
He does?

Well Adam you should just face the fact the Flint is a a liberal town. In fact some say one of the top 10 liberal cities of it's size. Maybe you should re think your political agenda because your republican. You have no chance of anything in this town running as a republican.
Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:00 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Joe, if all else fails I could just go to community meetings so we can talk about solutions that will never get implemented. lol Seriously though Flint used to be a very successful conservaitive city. NYC is about 80% democratic. They elected their second Republican mayor. The first was Giuliani who cut crime by over 50% lowered taxes and hired more police. I don't support abortion though like Giuliani does. NYC has a partisan mayoral race though. Flint does not.
Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:01 pm 
Josh

Adam, Mayor Don williamson is a REPUBLICAN!
Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:57 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: