FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Rest in Peace Mr. President.

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

My first taste of politics was in 1976. After the dark days of watergate and the celebration of our nations bicentennial, I was a wet behind the ear 9 year old. I was fasinated by this tall strong Michigan politician who had become our President just a short 800 and some odd days earlier. Being from Michigan, I remember wanting to know more about Gerald Ford. Asking questions about him to which ever adult in my life would answer. Putting political parties aside ( I soon saw the light and joined the Democrats in my teen years), I was just so proud to have someone from Michigan as our President.
I remember hearing on the news, not sure if it was a much younger Bill Harris saying that the President was stopping by for a whistle tour stop at the old Flint train station.
My dad agreed to take me. I remember standing outside in the cold for hours waiting for the Presidents train to get there. All the red, white and blue bunting decorating the train station, all the political signs and support.
Mrs. Ford was the first appear at the back of the train in her powder blue dress, the crowd went crazy.
Finally, the president came out. The crowd screaming "Jerry!...Jerry!" It sent chills up my spine.
That was the start of the political juices flowing. Sure, Ive been to dozens of political rallies and I even introduced Geraldine Ferraro at the state democratic convention when I was in the Michigan Young Democrats back in the 80's but nothing compares to that first time.
Gerald Ford served this state and this country with passion and pride. He was a true working mans politician.
He was one of my first political heros.
Thank you for your service to our country Mr. President. Our nation thanks you.
Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:08 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: