FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Council Rep. Jackie Poplar Comments 11 Dec 2006

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:21 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
CandyCane
F L I N T O I D

Pure comedy.
Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:49 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
CandyCane schreef:
Pure comedy.

there is often a fine line between comedy and tragedy.

I think she crossed over at the 3 minute mark of the video.

For the first 30 seconds [at approximately 2:34-3:00 minites in] she was spot on.

After that, she was spot on wrong.

She personally attacked and impugned Gonzalez. He did not do the same to her. Attacking what she did [wrongly in my opinion] but not who she was. Does she not recognize that all the citizens of Flint have a right to representation; not just hers. Other people voted for Gonzalez. He has a full time job. So do other council members. Apparently Poplar does not. She holds out the fact that she addresses her constituents business 24/7; does she think she is alone in doing so? She sure acted like it. Then, did she not imply he was drunk at some functions? [I'll have to watch for that aspect again]. Ms Poplar your comments were as wrong-headed, prejudicial and mean-spiritied as those you believe were made against you. Does a wrong require a wrong in response? Is that what the bible taught you?

Further, she made it clear, the "nigger" comment, in context, was not made by her, but was in an anonymous [?presumably] letter she and other council members received [wonder IF they ALL got it, or just some of them?]. Shame on her, for responding in this way to an UNSUBSTANTIATED allegation made by a THIRD, ANONYMOUS/Unidentified party. The advice Buchanan gave to her, to throw the letter away, was correct. He should also have told her to forget it. So did she take the allegation at face value? She apparently did not investigate it with Sandy Hill. Instead, smearing her with the allegation in public. Where is the proof?

She ends up saying she will still "love" her trespassers. I didn't see/hear her say she forgives those who trepassed against her, nor for forgiveness for her own trespasses. Unfortunately, while she suggested a close-held belief in Christian ideals; she failed to demonstrate them. She talked the talked but didn't walk the walk.

Which makes her a failed sinner.

And as human as the rest of us.

but as Forrest Gump was quoted as saying "Stupid is as stupid does"

BTW, the only winner right now in all this, is the mayor. He has a ham-strung council that will find it difficult to find the cohesiveness to deal with him.

Now that's the real tragedy in all this.

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:38 am 
Chad McFly
F L I N T O I D

How can anyone defend Jackie Foster Poplar after her loss of control?!!

The Video shows how one councilperson (Gonzales) states the facts, and keeps his cool. While the other (Poplar) "Flips Out" & makes allegations

I wish these "Older Black Women" would quit using that "N" word at my council meeting

I agree with Biggie9
Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:42 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Perhaps Steve should post council meetings in their entirety. That way people on here could have complained about this when it happened so we could have prevented it in the first place. I don't see how any council person or individual can publicly call for her resignation when she publicly stated what she was doing but nobody said anything. As an example Sandy Hill claims to have talked to Poplar behind the seems but she did not publicly oppose this wrongdoing until the Flint Journal decided to report on it. In this country you are also innocent until proven guilty in a court of law and not just in a court of public opinion. Would this have been a jury trial? If people want Poplar to resign then what about the federal prosecutor that is not prosecuting her? If people think she is guilty then shouldn't they want the federal prosecutor to do his job?

On another note. Has anyone read the law she allegedly violated? I do not claim to be a legal expert but would like to read the law for myself and would like to know where to find it.

On a more serious note I think it's scary that nobody seemed to care about this until the Flint Journal reported it so nobody cares about the other liquor store that allegedly paid more money than these 2 stores did and still got delayed but the Flint Journal has decided this is not important.
Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:56 am 
DELETED

DELETED

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:09 am 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Larry schreef:

now i say lets move on at the upcoming elections cast your votes and when you do be well informed or as best you can there is more to flint than this video just like there's more to all of us then our involvement with this site

Right On!!!
Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

Man, thats better then watching a naked three ring circus on crack!
WHAT A FREAKING JOKE! If I was a citizen of Flint and knew what I was paying for that representation?!?!
What the hell is Dandy Don doing?.....just sitting back with that shit eating grin of his counting all the votes to his landslide re-election?
And you, the citizens of Flint dont demand a damn thing. What a sham and more importantly, what a shame!
Take the whole "Poplar committing a federal crime" and the "silver slipper guy" knowing, yet still voting in favor of it out of the scenerio.
Shouldnt all who voted in favor be held as accompliaces (sp)?
Bottom line, it's still a FEDERAL CRIME, punishable by 5-10 years in the federal pen and a quarter million dollar fine!
Flip "Geraldine" Wilson would be getting off easy if she just was "forced" to resign.
Im sure she has done good for her community, I'm sure she helps with crowd control at the 4am drive by. Im sure she reports all the crack houses in her ward to Chief Gary. Thats all well and good. Hell, even Nixon did a few good things!
Be happy Geraldine.....you wont have to do your time for doing your crime, be happy and step aside.
Take your loaf or bread and lunch meats, slip in to that cozy diaper and relax on the couch on your front porch. You deserve it!
And another thing....take Sandy Hill with you!
Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:51 pm 
RTesq

quote:
Al Garcia schreef:
Man, thats better then watching a naked three ring circus on crack!
WHAT A FREAKING JOKE! If I was a citizen of Flint and knew what I was paying for that representation?!?!
What the hell is Dandy Don doing?.....just sitting back with that shit eating grin of his counting all the votes to his landslide re-election?
And you, the citizens of Flint dont demand a damn thing. What a sham and more importantly, what a shame!
Take the whole "Poplar committing a federal crime" and the "silver slipper guy" knowing, yet still voting in favor of it out of the scenerio.
Shouldnt all who voted in favor be held as accompliaces (sp)?
Bottom line, it's still a FEDERAL CRIME, punishable by 5-10 years in the federal pen and a quarter million dollar fine!
Flip "Geraldine" Wilson would be getting off easy if she just was "forced" to resign.
Im sure she has done good for her community, I'm sure she helps with crowd control at the 4am drive by. Im sure she reports all the crack houses in her ward to Chief Gary. Thats all well and good. Hell, even Nixon did a few good things!
Be happy Geraldine.....you wont have to do your time for doing your crime, be happy and step aside.
Take your loaf or bread and lunch meats, slip in to that cozy diaper and relax on the couch on your front porch. You deserve it!
And another thing....take Sandy Hill with you!

Good one Al! We can always count on you to keep it real!
Post Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:12 am 
Mhalexa

It's all nonsence! Everything is fine until someone's feelings get hurt than all hell breaks loose! Then it's all a soap opera instead of real issues being discussed insults are thrown all over the room. They need to be more professional and discuss personal issues on their time not the city's time. Wanting council members to have to take a drug test, throwing the infamous "N" word around, accusing someone for something... What ever! Lets worry about the city and help keep making it a better place for us to live in. This is suposed to be about city government but instead it's all about personal issues.

Pure DRAMA!
Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:07 pm 
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Mhalexa schreef:
It's all nonsence! Everything is fine until someone's feelings get hurt than all hell breaks loose! Then it's all a soap opera instead of real issues being discussed insults are thrown all over the room. They need to be more professional and discuss personal issues on their time not the city's time. Wanting council members to have to take a drug test, throwing the infamous "N" word around, accusing someone for something... What ever! Lets worry about the city and help keep making it a better place for us to live in. This is suposed to be about city government but instead it's all about personal issues.

Pure DRAMA!

OMG Mhalexa......where have you been all my life? Finally, someone who just might get it.
Can you believe the citizens of Flint PAY THESE PEOPLE for this type of entertainment??
Not quite a a good left jab like myself but you would of won the pillowfight with a good two handhanded roundhouse.
Happy Holidays!
Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:20 pm 
Mhalexa

quote:
Al Garcia schreef:
quote:
Mhalexa schreef:

Pure DRAMA!

OMG Mhalexa......where have you been all my life? Finally, someone who just might get it.
Can you believe the citizens of Flint PAY THESE PEOPLE for this type of entertainment??
Not quite a a good left jab like myself but you would of won the pillowfight with a good two handhanded roundhouse.
Happy Holidays!

I've always been here I just haven't spoken up. The more I see all this the more I want to say something. I have been going to these meetings all year and lately it has a lot of drama each time. This is our tax money at work to help the city and when the vear off the path it's time to say something. I'm glad we have an election year comming up and am trying to pay a lot of attention so I know who I am really voting for. This way my vote feels better to me when I know who these people are and what they are / are not doing.
Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:44 pm 
Mhalexa
F L I N T O I D

Now I am officialy registered.
Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:59 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Mhalexa schreef:
Now I am officialy registered.

welcome aboard. and looking forward to your thoughts and observations here on the good ship FlintTalk.com...

the more I think of it, the more I think Roscoe's approach is the correct one...about responding only to registered users. ignore the anonymous ones [even with names], aka, "guests".

This place has become the proverbial 21st C small town coffee shop of old, where the regulars gathered round to "chew the fat" and discuss the affairs of the day. The topics inevitably focus on local issues as those tend to affect everyone that gathers here, the same. Not that state, national & international events also aren't important, but there are so many more parties involved in those issues. But Flint, and immediate surroundings is our purview.
So after a while, we identify with, even if we don't always agree with, the "regulars" [read registered and regularly posting members]. Contrast that with "guests". They can be anyone and everyone behind that "name" on the post. Quite possibly several people using the same guest name at different times. You really don't know for certain who you are responding to. Nor therefore, do you really know if what they post is what they believe much less factual. Whereas, when Adam, Al G, Kathy Ellwood, mama bear, Rap or Ted et al, post, you know who's there, you know where they are coming from, that what they post is what they think, and not just a troll to provoke reactions.
So, yeah, I'm with you Roscoe. I think I'm going to ignore "guest" posts from this point on.

Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:37 pm 
DELETED

DELETED

Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:20 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: