FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Mayor restructures police
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-40/116506384212680.xml&coll=5

FLINT - Five patrol officers soon will be among the highest-ranking supervisors in the department.

Mayor Don Williamson on Friday said he has restructured the police command to include a "Citizen Services Bureau" with the newly created positions of a major and four inspectors.

The inspectors will answer directly to the major, who will effectively be the deputy of acting police Chief Gary Hagler.

But rather than promote from current supervisors, Williamson said he is staffing the new roles with five patrol officers.

Williamson said the officers have not yet been told they are being promoted but said they include a woman and four black men.

The lack of black officers in command positions at the department has drawn criticism from the city's Afro-American Police League.

When asked why he chose four blacks and a woman for promotion to the new positions, Williamson said his choices were "the best-qualified people I have."

Under the new structure, inspectors would spend their entire shift in a police car and would focus on patrols from noon until the overnight hours. One inspector will oversee services provided by the detective bureau and the mini stations.

The move will make the city's police command structure available to the public around the clock, Williamson said.

Because Williamson is unhappy with the performance of the city's current command staff, the four inspectors will outrank all of the department's captains, lieutenants and sergeants.

The head of the city's sergeants union declined comment on the mayor's criticisms and the plan.

"It's pretty interesting," said sergeant's union President Richard Hetherington, adding the moves may violate the city's union contracts.

Hagler did not attend Williamson's announcement of the changes and could not be reached for comment.

The move is the latest in a series of attempts Williamson has made to reshape the city's police department.

Williamson has already increased the number of single-officer patrols and created a "fourth shift" that patrols from 7 p.m. until 4 a.m. and targets higher crime areas.

Last edited by Adam on Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:15 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

where is it stated the mayor is deputy chief?

the article mentions a "major"....is the mayor the major?

If so, is he now to be addressed as Major Mayor or Mayor Major?

how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

too rich.

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:02 pm 
marcos

what an ignorant fool... I mean Adam of course lol
Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:18 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Why do people keep overlooking the FACT that the Mayor already considers himself to be the Police Chief! Most of our elected officials already know he did! They were there when he said it. Just before he fired Chief Barksdale! Just before Crime in Flint began it's three year MAJOR increase after a ten year trend of decreasing crime in Flint. The Mayor single-handedly took the Police departments focus on catching and arresting criminals with "MORE CITIZENS in 2003 and LESS OFFICERS in 2003. To what we have today. which is MORE OFFICERS, LESS CITIZENS and More crime! Unemployment and poverty have only varied one to two percent over the last 10 years in Flint. This doesn't equate to the over 30 percent rise in Crime in just the last three years!

The reasons! These are actually document able if you want to take the time to FOI the City. The Mayor pulls three police cars off 911 calls to attempt to get Eric Mays out of the parking lot at Brennen Center because he is collecting signatures to recall the DON! The Mayor pulls 7 police cars and twelve officers off the streets to be at a Housing Commission meeting where if it wasn't for HUD officials being at the meeting. The Don would have illegally removed the president of the housing Commission! Using the Police as intimidation. The Mayor pulls detectives off real cases investigating crimes to investigate the Political threat of recall made publicly by Eric Mays to recall Kerry Nelson! Then there was the 40 off duty officers that went to the council meeting to present their complaints against the Williamson administration. There were 6 ON DUTY officers present to watch these 40 officers present? NOW Mind you. This is a week after the acting like a police chief Hagler had the captain send a memo to the council stating that from now on there would only be two officers present at council meetings! Or could it be the big Church Dance bust that the Mayor claimed was eliminating crime in the City! A church rents a hall to get kids off the streets, No Drugs, No Alcohol! Yet the Mayor makes the evening shift waste two hours investigating a Church Dance! lol LOL Oh and why doesn't the Journal report these FUBARS!! Hmmm They know they are happening! Could it be the Full Page Adds for Patsy Lou Williamson GMC and CHEVY? Why does TV12 make up stories to make the Mayor look good only to have other media report the exact opposite of what they report? Hmmm Could it be the Many dinners the Station Manager has with the DON?

Hmmm Officers officially wasting time! Why is crime going up again? It’s one thing when there isn’t any room to park at a donut shop or dry cleaners. It’s another to have the Mayor making them waste their time!
Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Whoops. I guess I should have read the second paragraph. So is the major the acting deptuty police chief like Hagler is acting police chief? Sorry for the mis-post.
Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:08 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

Ted wrote in part..."Why do people keep overlooking the FACT that the Mayor already considers himself to be the Police Chief! Most of our elected officials already know he did!"

Ted, of course like the president is the commander in chief of the army, the mayor as head of the executive branch is essentially "in charge" of all the departments that function under him.

Thus he is the titular "chief of police"; though he appoints a chief to run the department day to day operations.

The donald appears to take more of an interest in the police operations. IIRC, early in his admin, the FJ reported him showing up at active accident/crime scenes in an unmarked police car. No doubt he was lending his considerable investigative expertise to Flint's finest. I think after a while he may have got the message? or perhaps just got bored and we longer hear of the caped crime-fighter appearing out of the murky night..

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:42 pm 
pissed off ma ma bear

The Mayor just does not seem to get it,,,,he needs more Violent Homicide Detectives,,,just dont get it does he, we need all these unsolved murders to get solved,,,so that they do not keep murdering,,,you would not believe how many cases are unsolved because thier are not enough detectives to cover the load,,,the Mayor if your reading this,,,WAKE UP MR, IDIOT
Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:25 am 
Rapunzel

We need more detectives ..refer to mama bear! ABOVE POST!
Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:18 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Rapunzel schreef:
We need more detectives ..refer to mama bear! ABOVE POST!

No the Mayor doesn't get it!

He has Channel 12 reporting on events that never happened. Or Totally rewrite the facts to create a story about misuse of the police busting into a birthday party, where people were supposedly busted. for violations that never exsisted. These violations were all thrown out of Court! Yet that's not what the media reported. They report the Don is out there fighting crime, and that Major Crime is reduced! When the facts all show that it is increased!

But, I still have to ask? How many homicide detectives does the City need? How many do we have?
Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:19 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Eight! The answer is eight homicide detectives. With 54 homicides this year... they complain that they are overworked! 52 weeks in a year! X 4 = 208 x 40 8320 x 2 (oops I forgot to mention that there are two teams of four!) 16640 hours/ 54 that's 308 hours spent if equally distributed. Per homicide! That means they spend 7 weeks on each murder. Hmmmm
Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:41 am 
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

WOW....is there any more tickets available to watch this three ring circus or is the show sold out? Every time I think things cant get any more pathetic....shit like this pops up!

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:18 pm 
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
Eight! The answer is eight homicide detectives. With 54 homicides this year... they complain that they are overworked! 52 weeks in a year! X 4 = 208 x 40 8320 x 2 (oops I forgot to mention that there are two teams of four!) 16640 hours/ 54 that's 308 hours spent if equally distributed. Per homicide! That means they spend 7 weeks on each murder. Hmmmm

What you are apparently overlooking is the fact that there are only 20 detectives investigating all crimes in the City of Flint. So deducing that they are spending 7 weeks per homicide is erroneous. The fact is these same homicide detectives are assigned cases ranging from carrying a concealed weapon to telephone harrassment. The amount of time spent investigating homicides is, therefore, greatly reduced. The numbers also indicate that only two schedule one crimes(crimes reported to the FBI; violent crimes, arson, auto thefts, etc) were reduced in the past year. Arsons and auto thefts went down and all other crimes went up. This means the work load on the already overworked crimes against people section went up even more. An example of the workload of a detective......1600 stolen vehicles in the City of Flint 1 detective assigned to stolen cars in the department, and he also is assigned larcenies from vehicles.
Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:52 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Bossman schreef:

What you are apparently overlooking is the fact that there are only 20 detectives investigating all crimes in the City of Flint. So deducing that they are spending 7 weeks per homicide is erroneous. The fact is these same homicide detectives are assigned cases ranging from carrying a concealed weapon to telephone harrassment. The amount of time spent investigating homicides is, therefore, greatly reduced. The numbers also indicate that only two schedule one crimes(crimes reported to the FBI; violent crimes, arson, auto thefts, etc) were reduced in the past year. Arsons and auto thefts went down and all other crimes went up. This means the work load on the already overworked crimes against people section went up even more. An example of the workload of a detective......1600 stolen vehicles in the City of Flint 1 detective assigned to stolen cars in the department, and he also is assigned larcenies from vehicles.

Bossman, You are the man!!! Let's try the math again. 1600 stolen vehicles for one detective with other stuff to do so that means the detective can spend only one hour (probably less) per stolen vehicle.

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:07 pm 
Don

hhmmmm thats good to know,,, maybe my car will get stolen today!!
Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:19 pm 
Hannah

meridia propecia I need to die! I am a moron SPAMMER ultram
Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:57 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: