FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint says it will collect more than $80,000 from council
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
marcos

Flint says it will collect more than $80,000 from council
Current and former council members have Wednesday deadline
By Matt Franklin
FLINT (WJRT) - (12/18/06)--The city of Flint says it is ready to collect more than $80,000 from several current and previous City Council members.

Nearly two years after an Ingham County judge ordered members of council to repay money they awarded themselves, Monday night the city of Flint said at least five council members have not paid up.

Late Monday afternoon, the mayor's office released five letters from the Michigan Attorney General's Office that were sent to those council members, telling them they have until Wednesday to pay back the money.

According to the letters, current Councilman Scott Kincaid owes more than $17,800. Carolyn Sims owes just over $16,800.

Former Councilman Johnnie Coleman owes over $17,500. Former Councilman Ed Taylor owed nearly $18,000. And former Councilman Mark Horrigan owes just over $16,600.

The mayor's office says that it will go after the money if it is not paid by the Wednesday deadline.

This all stems from a resolution passed by the council in 2004 to reinstate more than a quarter of a million dollars in back pay just one day after the state take over of the city ended.

Council's salaries had been cut by former Emergency Financial Manager Ed Kurtz.

The council claimed Kurtz had no authority to do it, but after several court hearings a judge ruled the money had to be paid back.

Now the city says it is going to uphold the current and former council members to the ruling.

We spoke to all five of the current and former council members by phone Monday afternoon. Coleman says he has not received a letter.

Sims and Horrigan declined to comment. Taylor says he knows nothing about the judgment. Kincaid says he received a letter and plans on sending in a check for the full amount by Wednesday.
Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:43 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

Has anyone heard whether Peggy Cook, who introduced the resolution that the Mayor signed for back-pay, or Darryl Buchanan has paid the money back. I noticed that both of those names were left off the list on TV.

Last I had heard, this was still on appeal to the State Supreme Court.
Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

what a Fine How do ya do... They beg the State to come in because they could see that something wasn't right with the budget. The State comes in and they are given the true details of actual income and expenditures. They FIX the Budget! Kurtz takes credit, for following their budget! (except for a few choice tax breaks for the Flint Urinal) Since the Council BLEW THE WHISTLE on the Mayor and the State had to step in, Mr. Kurtz retaliated against the “whistle blowers” (which the whistle blowers act sure the hell didn’t protect them) by cutting their Pay. Then the Mayor presents them a plan to recover the money they lost due to the retaliation. Then he claims they stole the money! And the citizens of Flint seem to be happy living in a world of fiction. As the truth seems to be too difficult to handle! They sure the hell didn’t’ deserve any of the credit for what they actually did to fix the city! Did they?!?
Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Nice observation Josh! Last I knew though it's been reported that they actually paid theirs or had set up repayment. Of Course we as citizens don't really have a way to check! We could FOIA the city. however, they seem to always answer specific questions with vague answers. many of which don't even relate to the question. Gotta love this administration!
Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Marcos

Maybe because they already paid it?????? That might ring a bell to anyone?
Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:41 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

I don't really know. I don't recall anyone making a big statement that they had repaid it and it wasn't brought up in the news story... Perhaps they did. Perhaps they didn't.
Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Marcos

Well I think if they didnt pay it or still in the courts fighting, they're name would of been listed to, I think its common sense Josh...

On a side not, Although I disagree with you and your wif supporting you in your fight against the city hall/mayor what have you, I remember back about year ago. This women I knew Helen Gonzales, was attacked and dieing, and Maria gathered about 300 of Helen's supporters and held a vigil... I think or her very highly for that.
Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:53 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

I have a GREAT Wife, thank you....
Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:56 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

[quote="Marcos"] Well I think if they didnt pay it or still in the courts fighting, they're name would of been listed to, I think its common sense Josh...

quote]

I'm not sure if you have noticed, but when dealing with issues in the COF, common sense rarely ever comes into play.... Just because they were left off the list doesn't mean that they have paid the money back... My bet is, they haven't.... just my opinion though....
Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:59 pm 
drmikevsvc
F L I N T O I D

I don't know about you guys, but from now on, I'm only voting for candidates running for office within the city of Flint with impeccable histories. Gotta prior conviction? vulgar language you, gotta police record, vulgar language you, been charged with any shape or form of criminal activity vulgar language YOU.

I'm tired of this town being run by, dictated to and manipulated by sketchy, unscrupulous characters.........and that includes everyone from the mayor to the council to the school board.
Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:07 pm 
drmikevsvc
F L I N T O I D

and evidently, if you type the four letter word that begins with F and ends with UCK, this site automatically replaces it with the word "fish".
Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:08 pm 
Marcos

quote:

I couldn't agree more. and also we all have opinions, u, me... I belive they paid.
Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:09 pm 
drmikevsvc
F L I N T O I D

so let's see if I can beat the system.........

I don't know about you guys, but from now on, I'm only voting for candidates running for office within the city of Flint with impeccable histories. Gotta prior conviction? F uck you, gotta police record, F uck you, been charged with any shape or form of criminal activity F uck YOU.

I'm tired of this town being run by, dictated to and manipulated by sketchy, unscrupulous characters.........and that includes everyone from the mayor to the council to the school board.
Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:09 pm 
drmikevsvc
F L I N T O I D

BINGO!
Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:11 pm 
Joey

quote:
Josh Freeman schreef:

Really? I always thought you were gay, not that I am being mean, cause i am gay. I just always picked up on gay tendencies from you. And you are really good looking.. Smile For a white boy, anyhow.. I am glad you have a good wife. I thought you were a fine council person, although I am in ward 1, not 4
Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:14 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: