FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: PROTEST AT A CULTURAL CENTER FUNDRAISER
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

I think demolition man is wrong about picketing in front of a residence. I think it's legal if you don't block the sidewalk or go overboard so as to cause emotional distress. I can not find a Supreme court ruling where picketing in front of a residnece is illegal. Anti-abortion activists do this all the time.
Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:08 pm 
John Wilson
F L I N T O I D

It looks like it comes down to local ordinances. Some counties across America say 50 feet from the target home, others say 300 feet. You'll have to consult state and local ordinances to see. Generally the sidewalk is public property, but it appears the Federal courts have interpreted the spirit of the First Amendment does not allow for people to protest on your personal, private doorstep.

This wouldn't take a rights-expert lawyer very long to research and get an answer to.

You should have your lawyer present at the protest, for police misinterpretation of such ordinances (or lack thereof) is common.

Flint also has a terrible reputation for organization in the past 20 or so years. Remember the massive UAW protests that were planned for the plant closings a la Roger & Me? Never happened.

Big protests usually come from college kids or tenant groups or people that are affected equally.

This protest is an idealist's protest against an intangible concept such as historical preservation -- it doesn't really stir people up like a police shooting of an innocent person or a child molester moving in next door.

Still, I hope they get their message out!
Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:33 pm 
Phil

the historic district commission meets 2nd thur every month. Oh, my... that's tomorrow....

meetings are 5:30 in city hall

Are you guys gonna film it?
Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:51 pm 
Phil

Embarassed Oops, they meet on the 1st thursday, not the second thurs.

the time and place are right though.
Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:55 pm 
drmikevsvc
F L I N T O I D

Roscoe, You're exactly right. There are quite a few people upset about the Manning Court decision, but very few will actually put their money where their mouths are. I am oppossed to the idea of tearing down historical homes as well.................but it's not a concept that will actually get a bunch of people out on a cold day/night. It's the typical American way......all bitching, no action.
Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:38 pm 
Karen

Where do I send my money to help save the homes?
Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:33 pm 
rapunzel

Karen,
Perhaps check with David White at Genesse County Historical Commission. He may be able to put you in contact with the lawyer fighting the suit on behalf of the homeowner next to the rentals owned by the Cult-eral Center.

Good lady, could use some help. Big money on the demo side.

I think we need a petition, a vote of the people.
RAP
Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:32 am 
GregoryJVanucci
F L I N T O I D

Rapunzel,

East Village Magazine just posted a new story last night:

Motion fails Dec. 7 to revoke decision on
Manning Street — serious questions remain

It's the last story on the home page, just before "News Releases."

Also posted is a longer version of the magazine's lead story for December:

Suit filed to stop Manning Street Historic District destruction

If you can, read the longer version and also the one appearing in the magazine.
(Reading both of the "suit filed" stories will show you a fairly good example of "editing for space.")

The web site is www.eastvillagemagazine.org

P.S., Was that you, who needed a page six while I searched for a page three?

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

three cheers for Mr Dave White, who appears to have an excellent perspective on all the nefarious and shady dealings behind the November vote by the compromised and corrupt majority of the Historical Commission.

The only fact left undetermined from the aforementioned article was how many pieces of silver each of these Judases received, and who SPECIFICALLY were the paymasters.

Sad to see the administrators of a CULTURAL CENTER, betray their base values of protecting an object of cultural value for the filthy lucre.

Et tu Brutus?

lets hope there are enough errors in the commission of this attempted robbery of the Flint Community to forestall the gang "that couldn't vote straight" from their soul-less criminal activity.

Mad

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:01 pm 
rapunzel

quote:
GregoryJVanucci schreef:
Rapunzel,

East Village Magazine just posted a new story last night:

Motion fails Dec. 7 to revoke decision on
Manning Street — serious questions remain

It's the last story on the home page, just before "News Releases."

Also posted is a longer version of the magazine's lead story for December:

Suit filed to stop Manning Street Historic District destruction

If you can, read the longer version and also the one appearing in the magazine.
(Reading both of the "suit filed" stories will show you a fairly good example of "editing for space.")

The web site is www.eastvillagemagazine.org

P.S., Was that you, who needed a page six while I searched for a page three?

Nope, wrong woman. Had every page in my packet. speaks to the ineffeciency that not everyone was on the same page. Just a witness.

Peace,
RAP
Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:56 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: