FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Marvin Liddell Future mayor of Flint?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-40/1164727265123350.xml&coll=5&thispage=1

FLINT - People who know Marvin Liddell can see him going places, but the aspiring politician - who is governor of the Michigan Youth in Government Program - wants to stay right where he is.

"By the age of 26, I want to be mayor (of Flint)," said Liddell, 16, a senior at Flint Northern Academy. "I really want to help the city, and I don't think the people that are in charge right now have done so. And I think Flint has a lot of potential, but nobody's willing to search for it."

Liddell already has supporters.

"He has my vote," said classmate Kiera Young, 17, laughing. "I think he would be a good mayor. He would get Flint back on track."

Liddell is about halfway through his one-year elected term as youth governor, a position that has him leading the 2,600 students statewide involved in Youth in Government, which gives youths a chance to experience what it's like to be involved in government.

Brent Veysey, a director for the organization, said Liddell tells others that he wants to help Flint.

"One of the things he has as a goal is he wants to go on to school, but he wants to go back to his own community to serve his community," Veysey said. "He talks about that quite often."

When Liddell talks about Flint, he acknowledges the problems - he says he sees people with drugs "pretty much every day" - but says things aren't as bad as some might think.

Students from elsewhere in the state ask him if he's scared to live in Flint.

"I try to tell people, Flint isn't as bad as it sounds," Liddell said. "I've been in Flint all of my life, and I've never been shot or robbed or anything."

Liddell credits his parents, Marvin and Bridget, and his church, First Trinity Missionary Baptist Church in Flint, for keeping him away from drugs.

He said Flint needs more sports and clubs for youths, as well as more adults willing to serve as mentors.

"A lot of people get in trouble because they're just sitting around, and they have nothing to do," he said.

That's not a problem for Liddell, who plays football and baseball, is secretary of the school district's Student Senate and serves as a student representative to the Board of Education.

Liddell said he's too busy to watch much television, but he makes time to play basketball and football video games against his brother.

His position in Michigan Youth in Government has given Liddell a chance to meet Gov. Jennifer Granholm and U.S. Sens. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich., and Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y.

He speaks with admiration about Granholm, but when asked if there are politicians he'd pattern himself after, Liddell said no. He's independent-minded.

"I'm not too much for Democrats or Republicans," he said. "They really don't work together. ... If I ever was to run for president, I wouldn't run as a Democrat or a Republican."

ACTIVITIES: Governor, Michigan Youth in Government Program; secretary, Flint School District Student Senate; student representative to Flint Board of Education; captain of Northern's baseball team and plays on its football team

COLLEGE: Plans to attend Michigan State University or Eastern Michigan University to study pre-law and political science
Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:41 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Surprised Marvin ain't running too!

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

I'm sure he would be if he was old enough. I wouldn't be surprised if he ran next time around. I think it would be nice if he was at the council meetings but he proabably doesn't have anyone to take him. I just hope he stays out of harms way. If very dangerous to be a young person in the north end. If I won I though about having him take my place after four years so I could go for governor. Our state is in horrific shape right now.
Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:04 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
I'm sure he would be if he was old enough. I wouldn't be surprised if he ran next time around. I think it would be nice if he was at the council meetings but he proabably doesn't have anyone to take him. I just hope he stays out of harms way. If very dangerous to be a young person in the north end. If I won I though about having him take my place after four years so I could go for governor. Our state is in horrific shape right now.

All the council meetings you and Josh Freeman go to, you should car pool. Get a big bus you could pick up Josh Freeman, Marvin, A.C. Dumass, Eric Mays etc.... Smile

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: