FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: The never ending Rizzo Trash deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
BillPayer
F L I N T O I D

Mike Sargent "The judge said it today that republic is the lowest bidder and they would be the better contract." Other than that the hearing did no good and NO decisions have been made other than Republic has a valid offer. When will this MADNESS stop and allow us to focus back 100% to the water crisis that is NO better than it was months ago.

--

Arthur Woodson "The contract for republic is still in place. The administration knew this. Now the administration made it to where the city has to pay money that the city didn't have. The mayor has put Flint in a bad situation. All she had to do was wait until November 11, 2016 and the contract would have expired."

--

Woodson also went on record during the Tom Sumner Show saying the Gov. appointed mediator and the cities CFO both also agreed republic was the lowest bidder. His facts are often... misleading at best, but this would be a crazy lie if it weren't true.
Post Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:54 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

What date were these comments made?

Woodson has been wrong on a lot of issues.
Post Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:54 pm 
BillPayer
F L I N T O I D

Arthur Woodson

"I am going to say this. These people feel that they can do what they want in Flint, because the people of Flint will not stand up. They knew the citizens of Flint would sit back and take whatever they do and just complain. There are people who are tired of fighting for Flint, when Flint will not even fight for themselves. It is a city council meeting today at 5:00, if you don't stand up today, they are going to do you in. That is all I can say to you."

--

Special city council meeting tonight.
Post Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:56 pm 
BillPayer
F L I N T O I D

These are all from today on Facebook, sorry for not including that.
Post Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:13 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Supreme Court Confirms That Disappointed Bidders May Not Sue A Municipality Over The Municipality’s Award Of A Bid

Ronald D. Richards Jr.
Foster Swift Municipal Law News
September 2012

The Michigan Supreme Court recently confirmed, and expanded, Michigan’s rule that an entity who submits a bid on a municipal project but who does not receive the award (a "disappointed bidder") may not sue over that award decision. Cedroni Associates, Inc v Tomblinson et al (released 7-27-12, Docket No. 142339). There, a school district hired the Tomblinson firm to provide architectural services and to help evaluate bidders. Cedroni submitted the lowest bid, but the architect from the Tomblinson firm recommended against awarding to Cedroni due to some negative references.

Cedroni sued the Tomblinson firm, alleging that the firm unlawfully interfered with the contract award and interfered with Cedroni’s reasonable business expectancy. The trial court dismissed the action, ruling in favor of the Tomblinson firm. But the Court of Appeals reversed.

The Supreme Court reversed the Court of Appeals and reinstated the trial court’s dismissal – ruling against the disappointed bidder. Relevant parts of the Supreme Court’s ruling are set out below:

The Supreme Court reaffirmed the principle that disappointed bidders on public projects have no reasonable business expectancy in being awarded a contract – even if they are the lowest bidder.
The longstanding rule in Michigan is that a disappointed low bidder on a public contract has no standing to sue to challenge the award of a contract to another bidder.
The lowest bidder under a contract a municipality proposes to award, whose bid has been rejected, has no right to recover profits which it might have made had its bid been accepted.
This is so even if the municipality has a Charter that requires the bid be awarded to the lowest responsible bidder.

The Court’s decision in Cedroni extends the disappointed bidder rule beyond traditional suits against a municipality for awarding a bid to someone other than the lowest bidder. Cedroni actually says that the disappointed bidder rule protects municipalities from other claims too – such as the tortious interference claim raised in Cedroni. And it protects agents of municipalities, such as architects. It also says disappointed bidders have no reasonable expectation that they will get an award – even if they are the lowest bidder. So this decision protects both the municipality and agents helping the municipality with the bid process (e.g., engineering firms, designer firms, architectural firms).

If you have questions about the Cedroni decision, disappointed bidder claims, or the public bidding and awarding process, please contact Anne Seurynck (616.726.2240) of the Foster Swift Municipal Practice Group.

Read the full September 2012 Municipal Law News
Post Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:55 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The above citation illustrates the "disappointed bidder" concept used in many states to protect municipalities. Search Michigan disappointed bidder

I believe the court case you cited was over the FOIA request. 16-107910 cz is Tri County Refuse Service (dba as Republic) vs City of Flint and was linked to the Council case (16-107434 cz).
Post Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:01 pm 
BillPayer
F L I N T O I D

Has it ever been agreed that either company has a valid long term contract? I don't believe it has or else we wouldn't need an emergency purchase for trash services.

This could complicate things in the future though.
Post Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:09 pm 
BillPayer
F L I N T O I D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjzrf54om0na0c0/10-13-16%20Motion%20for%20TRO%20and%20PI%20-filed%20-%20part%201%20of%202.pdf?dl=0

This is woodsons foia stuff from today. Can't upload a PDF on here out else I would. If the link doesn't work check his Facebook if interested.
Post Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:33 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
BillPayer schreef:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjzrf54om0na0c0/10-13-16%20Motion%20for%20TRO%20and%20PI%20-filed%20-%20part%201%20of%202.pdf?dl=0

This is woodsons foia stuff from today. Can't upload a PDF on here out else I would. If the link doesn't work check his Facebook if interested.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He could have gotten it from the court house faster and cheaper. It was on the news last night.

Looks like both companies have been linked to bribing city councils. Flint should have kept it in house. Makes one wonder about the EM inflated contract originally with Republic that cost Flint an extra $2 million. Why pay someone to buy your trucks and hire a third of your employees? It will be interesting to see the results of the wiretaps.

They have to notify those they caught on tape and tell them if they are a target.
Post Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:22 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Good work FBI. Help with Genesee County corruption too.

Trash hauler Rizzo key player in Macomb County corruption probe
Tresa Baldas and Christina Hall , Detroit Free Press 11:42 p.m. EDT October 13,

Rizzo Environmental Services, which picks up the trash in multiple communities across metro Detroit, is at the center of a federal public corruption investigation that is expected to ensnare numerous local public officials in Macomb County in alleged pay-to-play schemes, according to multiple sources with intimate knowledge of the investigation.

The sources told the Free Press that Rizzo is cooperating with the government after getting caught allegedly paying bribes to a Clinton Township official who was arrested Thursday and charged in federal court.

Joseph A. Munem, director of government affairs and public relations for Rizzo, issued a statement late Thursday:

“In this, as in all matters, we’re cooperating with the legal authorities. We will follow their guidance so long as it may be required in the coming weeks,” the company said. “We will continue to focus on delivery of our services, and to demonstrate to our employees, partners and customers that we remain the premier provider of environmental services in our community.”

► Feds: There's 'systemic corruption' in Macomb County

According to sources, Rizzo Services is the unnamed company that the FBI says paid between $50,000 and $70,000 in cash bribes to Clinton Township Trustee Dean Reynolds for help in securing a lucrative contract.

Reynolds, 49, was charged with bribery Thursday in U.S. District Court for allegedly accepting the cash in exchange for his vote on an $18-million contract that went to the bribe giver — who also provided him with a free divorce attorney for his help.

The charging document did not name Rizzo Services, stating only that "a principal of Company A was involved in providing an ongoing stream of benefits to Reynolds in order to secure the Clinton Township contract."

Clinton Township Supervisor Robert Cannon said the Rizzo contract was the only one that he could think of that would be that high. The township has other lucrative contracts, he noted, such as sewer and water, but none as high as $18 million.

In court documents, the FBI said it had tapped the phones of both Reynolds and the bribe giver, who after being confronted with the evidence admitted responsibility and agreed to cooperate.

"This is an extensive investigation into systemic corruption in multiple municipalities in southeast Michigan, primarily Macomb County," the FBI wrote in a charging document filed Thursday that named Reynolds as the first defendant ensnared in the probe.

Farmington Hills attorney Jay Schwartz, who has represented Rizzo Environmental Services in several legal proceedings, declined comment. Schwartz also was one of two attorneys who represented Reynolds — the Clinton Township defendant — in his divorce.

According to court documents and interviews with multiple sources, the FBI's years-long investigation is expected to trigger criminal charges against numerous politicians in towns and cities across Macomb County who engaged in pay-to-play schemes with various developers and businesses. The Clinton Township case, sources said, is just the tip of the iceberg and numerous more charges will follow.

In Reynolds' case, the bribes from Rizzo started in 2012, the FBI says. In return for the money, Reynolds voted for the contract and provided Rizzo with information about how other trustees would vote, the complaint said.

Reynolds also was caught on videotape accepting an additional $17,000 in cash from an undercover FBI agent, the complaint said.

Earlier this year, the township board approved extending a current trash contract with Rizzo for 10 more years through 2026, according to meeting minutes. The extension — the second between the company and the township — was to be effective April 1, 2016, through March 31, 2026, according to the minutes.

Reynolds, who is running for township supervisor in the Nov. 8 election, appeared in federal court in handcuffs Thursday, but said nothing about the allegations during his brief court appearance. Neither did his family or his lawyer, who declined to comment on the case. He was released on bond.

"Corruption undermines the very nature of representative government," U.S. Attorney Barbara McQuade said, noting the federal government "is committed to seeking out and prosecuting corrupt public officials in all areas ... including suburban communities."

McQuade would not comment any further on the specifics of the case when contacted later Thursday by the Free Press.

Some of the key players in Detroit's City Hall corruption probe that brought down former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and dozens of others were present in court Thursday for Reynolds' initial appearance. Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael Bullotta, one of the lead prosecutors in the Kilpatrick case, was there. So was FBI Special Agent Robert Beeckman, who headed the FBI investigation that brought down Kilpatrick.

As with the Detroit City Hall corruption probe, wiretaps, cooperating witnesses, video recordings, physical surveillance, and subpoenas of financial records are playing key roles in the Macomb County case. For example, the FBI taped a phone conversation in which Reynolds is heard telling a family friend or relative that his divorce lawyer would be free. The FBI published excerpts from that conversation in court documents:

"Well, I mean the attorney's not gonna cost me anything, so ... You know. And they'll be, they'll be firing, you know, they'll be firing, uh, you know, eight or $10,000 motions on her (his wife). She won't know what hit her," Reynolds said in a July 22, 2015, phone conversation that is on file in federal court.

The FBI also says it intercepted a phone call that Reynolds had with an attorney friend who had a suspended law license. Reynolds frequently consulted with this lawyer friend about his bribery schemes, court records state, and complained about his divorce attorney.

► Related: Supreme Court ruling opens door to bribery, corruption

In one phone conversation, according to the FBI, Reynolds groused that his divorce lawyer was going out of town for a funeral and would not be able to file a divorce pleading by a certain date. In this conversation, Reynolds discussed threatening to stop doing favors for the businessman who gave him the free lawyer.

"(My wife) is going around ruining my reputation and it's gonna affect my election, and something's gonna happen if I don't get her out of that house. And I'll call f------ (the businessman) and tell him that, you can kiss my ass good-bye ... cause your damn attorney isn't doing her job.' "

In another conversation, the FBI says, Reynolds is heard telling his lawyer friend about the alleged bribery scheme with the businessman, and what he planned to do if he didn't get satisfaction in his divorce case.

Reynolds: "Yeah, cause I don't think (the businessman) is gonna be real happy if he doesn't get his like, $18-million contract, do you?"

Lawyer friend: "No ... but you need to calm down before you ... call (him)"

Reynolds: "Should I tell (the businessman) that it's ...? I mean, I'm scared it's gonna get to a point that I'm not gonna be able to help anybody, if stuff starts happening, if the police gets called ... I'm just gonna be ...?

Attorney friend: "Yeah, you do ... You, you want to stay out of the papers."

Reynolds, a Democrat, is running for township supervisor against longtime Supervisor Cannon, a Republican.

"It's a bad day for Clinton Township. It's a bad day for elected officials," said Cannon, who had not read the complaint. "I'm sorry that he did what he did."

Cannon said he and Reynolds were not personal friends and "often at odds, including ethics."

Cannon said he has not been interviewed by the FBI, and he said he plans to ask his staff Friday if anyone has been.

"It is very disappointing," Cannon said of the situation. "He let the public down."

Cannon said that while Reynolds does not have to step down from the township board, "I don't think his voice will carry much voice on the township board any longer."

Macomb County Executive Mark Hackel said he was not familiar with the investigation and was not interviewed by federal officials regarding the Reynolds case. He said that he has known Reynolds for eight or 10 years because of Reynolds' role in government, but does not know about his work or relationships. He said that a more widespread investigation in the county "doesn't surprise me and if there is, I hope it's very thorough."

Hackel, a former county sheriff, said that he has heard of alleged corruption issues in the county with other public officials, but he did not name any officials.

Reynolds was elected to the board of trustees in November 2004 and re-elected in November 2008 and 2012, according to the township's website.

Contact Tresa Baldas: tbaldas@freep.com
Post Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:25 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Feds: There's 'systemic corruption' in Macomb County
Tresa Baldas and Christina Hall , Detroit Free Press 7:48 p.m. EDT October 13, 2016
Trustee Dean Reynolds is accused of bribery as part of what the FBI says is broader probe across Macomb County.

636119585031529976-gavel.jpg
(Photo: file photo)
A Macomb County official has been charged with bribery in what the FBI has described as a broader investigation into widespread corruption across the county, where secret video recordings and wiretaps uncovered crooked deals of all sorts, the government said.

"This is an extensive investigation into systemic corruption in multiple municipalities in southeast Michigan, primarily Macomb County," the FBI wrote in a charging document filed Thursday that named the first defendant ensnared in the probe.

Clinton Township Trustee Dean Reynolds, 49, is charged with pocketing between $50,000 and $70,000 in cash from a businessman who was trying to secure an $18-million contract for his company with the township. Court documents don't specify what the contract was for.

The bribes started in 2012. In return for the money, Reynolds voted for the contract and provided the company with information about how other trustees would vote, the complaint said.

According to the criminal complaint, that same businessman also provided Reynolds with a free divorce lawyer in exchange for political favors. The FBI had tapped the phones of both Reynolds and the businessman, who after being confronted with the evidence admitted responsibility and agreed to cooperate, records show. The businessman and his company are not named in the complaint.

Reynolds also was caught on videotape accepting an additional $17,000 in cash from an undercover FBI agent, the complaint said.

Reynolds, who is running for township supervisor in the Nov. 8 election, appeared in federal court in handcuffs Thursday, but said nothing about the allegations during his brief court appearance. Neither did his family or his lawyer, who declined to comment on the case. He was released on bond.

"Corruption undermines the very nature of representative government," Attorney U.S. Attorney Barbara McQuade said, noting the federal government "is committed to seeking out and prosecuting corrupt public officials in all areas ... including suburban communities."

Detroit's FBI chief David Gelios added: "Today's arrest should serve as a reminder to the public of the FBI's longstanding record of successful public corruptions investigations in the Detroit metropolitan area."

Some of the key players in Detroit's City Hall corruption probe that brought down former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and dozens of others were present in court Thursday. Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael Bullotta, one of the lead prosecutors in the Kilpatrick case, was there. So was Kilpatrick's lawyer, Jim Thomas, who was observing in the courtroom. FBI Special Agent Robert Beeckman, who headed the FBI investigation that brought down Kilpatrick, also was there and signed the criminal complaint against Reynolds.

As with the Detroit City Hall corruption probe, wiretaps, cooperating witnesses, video recordings, physical surveillance, and subpoenas of financial records are playing key roles in the Macomb County case. For example, the FBI taped a phone conversation in which Reynolds is heard telling a family friend or relative that his divorce lawyer would be free. The FBI published excerpts from that conversation in court documents:

► Related: Supreme Court ruling opens door to bribery, corruption

"Well, I mean the attorney's not gonna cost me anything, so ... You know. And they'll be, they'll be firing, you know, they'll be firing,uh, you know, eight or $10,000 motions on her (his wife). She won't know what hit her," Reynolds said in a July 22, 2015, phone conversation that is on file in federal court.

The FBI also intercepted a phone call that Reynolds had with an attorney friend who had a suspended law license. Reynolds frequently consulted with this lawyer friend about his bribery schemes, court records state, and complained about his divorce attorney.

In one phone conversation, Reynolds groused that his divorce lawyer was going out of town for a funeral and would not be able to file a divorce pleading by a certain date. In this conversation, Reynolds discussed threatening to stop doing favors for the businessman who gave him the free lawyer.

"(My wife) is going around ruining my reputation and it's gonna affect my election, and something's gonna happen if I don't get her out of that house. And I'll call f------ (the businessman) and tell him that, you can kiss my ass goodbye ... cause your damn attorney isn't doing her job.' "

In another conversation, Reynolds is heard telling his lawyer friend about the alleged bribery scheme with the businessman, and what he planned to do if he didn't get satisfaction in his divorce case.

Reynolds: "Yeah, cause I don't think (the businessman) is gonna be real happy if he doesn't get his like, $18 million contract, do you?"

Lawyer friend: "No ... but you need to calm down before you ... call (him)"

Reynolds: "Should I tell (the businessman) that it's ...? I mean, I'm scared it's gonna get to a point that I'm not gonna be able to help anybody, if stuff starts happening, if the police gets called ... I'm just gonna be ...?

Attorney friend: "Yeah, you do .. You, you want to stay out of the papers."

Reynolds, a Democrat, is running for township supervisor against longtime Supervisor Robert Cannon, a Republican.

"It's a bad day for Clinton Township. It's a bad day for elected officials," said Cannon, who had not read the complaint. "I'm sorry that he did what he did."

Cannon said he and Reynolds were not personal friends and "often at odds, including ethics."

Cannon said he has not been interviewed by the FBI, and he said he plans to ask his staff Friday if anyone has been.

"It is very disappointing," Cannon said of the situation. "He let the public down."

Cannon said that while Reynolds does not have to step down from the township board, "I don't think his voice will carry much voice on the township board any longer."

Macomb County Executive Mark Hackel said he was not familiar with the investigation and was not interviewed by federal officials regarding the Reynolds case. He said that he has known Reynolds for eight or 10 years because of Reynolds' role in government, but does now know about his work or relationships. He said that a more widespread investigation in the county "doesn't surprise me and if there is, I hope it's very thorough."

Hackel, a former county sheriff, said that he has heard of alleged corruption issues in the county with other public officials, but he did not name any officials.

Reynolds was elected to the board of trustees in November 2004 and re-elected in November 2008 and 2012, according to his biography on the township's website.

It states that he serves as chairman of the parks and recreation committee, a position he has held for 12 years. He produced the annual fireworks and concert celebration.He serves on the budget, ways and means committee, sanitary sewer committee, emergency management committee and as an alternate for the personal vacancy review committee. He was appointed in 2005 as one of two board representatives on the police department financing committee, serving as co-chairman.

He previously served on the township's Zoning Board of Appeals and with several nonprofit groups in the township, including president of the Clintondale Education Foundation and the Clintondale Mini-Grants Committee, which donates grants to staff members to help pay for student activities not included in the school budget, according to the township's website.

Contact Tresa Baldas: tbaldas@freep.com
Post Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:59 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Judge says no to injunction that would have Republic picking up Flint trash

l Jiquanda Johnson | jjohns16@mlive.com By Jiquanda Johnson | jjohns16@mlive.com

on October 13, 2016 at 9:40 PM, updated October 13, 2016 at 10:18 PM
FLINT, MI – A Genesee County judge ruled against an injunction that would have left Republic Services on the streets collecting the city's garbage until mid-November.

Genesee County Circuit Court Judge Joseph Farah on Oct. 13 did not grant an injunction request by Republic Services that would have prevented Flint Mayor Karen Weaver from terminating its contract with city.

For more than a week there have been two trash haulers servicing Flint. Both Republic and Rizzo Environmental Services have contracts, but Weaver's administration argues Republic's contract was void after the Michigan Court of Appeals overturned a number of rulings made by Farah previously over the ongoing trash dispute.

The Michigan Court of Appeals has reversed a county judge's decisions regarding Flint's controversial garbage contract.
Republic received a letter from the city saying there services were no longer needed but continued to haul Flint's trash under the contract which is set to expire Nov. 11.

The garbage company filed suit last week and asked Farah to issue an injunction to prevent the city from canceling the contract, saying the Court of Appeals ruling did not give Weaver the authority to cancel its deal and that authority rested solely with Farah.

Republic argued it would be irreparably harmed, both financially and competitively, if the city were to cancel the contract.

Farah, however, said the company's claims weren't enough to support an injunction.

"... (T)he court cannot issue an injunction to prevent contract breach, but rather must deal with the financial consequences of that breach," Farah wrote in his denial.

Farah, however, said Republic was likely to prevail against the city if it unilaterally voids the contract, saying the Court of Appeals ruling didn't necessarily terminate the deal.

The judge, in his order, also blasted the city officials involved in the garbage dispute.

"... Republic is blameless in this battle between two branches of city government that seem now incapable of transcending at worst political motivations and at best an antipathy to rational review of contract proposals," Farah wrote.

City officials said attorneys representing Weaver and her administration had plans to file a motion asking Farah to end Republic's contract, which was extended under Farah's order on Aug. 11 for 90 days while members of the Flint City Council and Weaver's administration worked out the trash contract.

So far, there has been no settlement between the council and administration.

Republic issued a statement in September saying they would continue to haul the city's trash despite Weaver's letter saying that Farah had to end the 90-day contract.

"This afternoon, we received a notice from the City of Flint that the 90-day contract extension has been terminated," read the Sept. 22 statement sent by Russ Knocke, vice president of communications and public affairs for Republic. "Republic will continue to provide uninterrupted and exceptional service to the citizens of Flint."

According to the statement, the city cannot terminate the 90-day agreement without an order from Farah.

The city will have 90 days to work out details regarding an ongoing trash dispute.
The garbage controversy started in June when the city council voted against Weaver's decision to to go with Rizzo, causing an ongoing battle over the trash issue with eight council members against hiring Rizzo.

Council members have argued that the bidding process was flawed, and they questioned Rizzo's integrity after inquiring about potential ties to Canada and to former Flint Mayor Woodrow Stanley. They have also said Rizzo's bid didn't offer the same amenities as Republic's, including a blight plan.

Councilman Eric Mays is the sole council member supporting hiring Rizzo to haul the city's trash.

City Councilman Scott Kincaid filed suit against Weaver and her office over the trash dispute.

Farah has attempted to solve the issue by having the council and Weaver's office to work toward a compromise while continuing to use Republic to haul the Flint's trash.

So far, there has been no settlement between the council and administratio
Post Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:18 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint Councilman Scott Kincaid is holding up the City's business for 30 days, including votes for Flint's lead line replacement money coming in to Flint... just to teach Mayor Weaver a lesson for going with the lowest bidder in a garbage dispute... So the poisoned town of Flint MI. has to suffer for Kincaid's selfish reasons... when all along Flint will save $2 million dollars going with the lowest bidder...
Some officials and residents, are proposing to put that $2 million dollars savings towards purchasing Flint trash trucks, and readying themselves up for re-owning their city-owned trash company again, after Rizzo's contract is up...
"WATER WARRIOR" News... Get rid of Scott Kincaid, Teach him a lesson

Recall petition filed against Flint councilman Scott Kincaid
Recall language looking to unseat ninth ward city councilman Scott Kincaid has been filed with the Genesee County clerk's office.
MLIVE.COM|BY MLIVE.COM
Post Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:18 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Recall petition filed against Flint councilman Scott Kincaid

Ninth ward Flint city councilman Scott Kincaid (MLive.com File)
Print Email Amanda Emery | aemery@mlive.com By Amanda Emery | aemery@mlive.com

on October 14, 2016 at 5:41 PM, updated October 15, 2016 at 12:00 AM
FLINT, MI -- Recall language looking to unseat ninth ward city councilman Scott Kincaid has been filed with the Genesee County clerk's office.

The language was filed in the clerk's office on Friday, Oct. 14.

The Flint City Council voted to table three resolutions put forth by Flint Mayor Karen Weaver in an attempt to teach her a lesson.

The recall petition states Kincaid postponed city business brought by Flint Mayor Karen Weaver in order to "teach her a lesson."

"That on Monday, September 26, 2016 Councilperson Scott Kincaid voted to POSTPONE resolutions put forth by Flint Mayor Karen Weaver to teach her a lesson," the petition reads. "The above said vote on 9-26-2016 was directly related to the well publicized waste collection ("garbage") dispute."

During the Sept. 26 meeting, the Flint city council voted to table three resolutions put forth by Weaver.

The members tabled resolutions 5 to 3 during the council meeting to repair the roof on the north building of city hall, contract with Power Plus Engineering for maintenance for the utilities department and a resolution authorizing the city to contract with Nan McKay & Associates for residential rental inspections. All resolutions were tabled for 30 days.

Council President Kerry Nelson along with Kate Fields, Wantwaz Davis, Vicki VanBuren and Scott Kincaid all voted to postpone Weaver's resolutions. Jackie Poplar was not at the meeting due to health issues. Monica Galloway, Herbert Winfrey and Eric Mays voted against the motion.

Genesee County Clerk-Register John Gleason said Kincaid couldn't be recalled because this is his last year in office as his term ends in November 2017. He said the Board of Electors would still meet and go over the language and supporting documents.

"The Board of Electors -- myself, Deb Cherry, and Chief Probate Jennie Barkey -- will determine if the recall language meets constitutional muster," Gleason said. "We'll have to establish an election commission meeting probably next week."

Flint pastors ask for public apology after council tries to teach mayor a lesson
Flint pastors ask for public apology after council tries to teach mayor a lesson
A group of local pastors are asking fora public apology from Flint City Councilman Scott Kincaid for saying Mayor Karen Weaver needs to be taught a lesson.

Kincaid -- who has been with the Flint City Council for 31-years -- said if the recall makes it to the ballot, it will be up to the voters in the ninth ward to decide if he keeps his seat.

"It's people's right to elect people and there's the opportunity for people that if they're not satisfied with an elected official to go through that process and ultimately it will be left up to the voters of the ninth ward whether they support a recall of me or not," Kincaid said. "That's the process and we'll just wait and see what happens."

Flint city councilpersons looking for reelection in 2017 can file petitions after January 1, 2017. Kincaid said he hasn't made the decision yet if he would seek reelection, but will make that decision between now and February.

Kincaid has spearheaded a lawsuit initially filed in August against the city's controversial trash contract.
Post Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:29 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Clinton Twp. Trustee charged with demanding and taking bribes in exchange for his vote on contracts
Statement from Clintondale Community News
12:08 PM, Oct 13, 2016
10:22 AM, Oct 14, 2016
Clinton Township trustee at center of corruption case
WXYZ

(WXYZ) - A Clinton Township Trustee is facing criminal charges of demanding and taking bribes in exchange for his vote on municipal contracts.

The FBI arrested 49-year-old Dean Reynolds on Thursday, according to United States Attorney Barbara McQuade.

Reynold's arrest was a result of a long-running undercover investigation into corruption in multiple municipalities, primarily Macomb County.

According to the criminal complaint, Reynolds accepted multiple bribes from a representative who worked for a company that was seeking a significant contract with Clinton Township.

The complaint alleges Reynolds accepted between $50,000 to $70,000 in cash from the representative.

Reynolds also reportedly accepted $17,000 from an undercover agent of the FBI with payment being recorded on video.

“Corruption undermines the very nature of representative government, said U.S. Attorney McQuade. “Law enforcement is committed to seeking out and prosecuting corrupt public officials in all areas of the Eastern District, including suburban communities.”

“Today’s arrest should serve as a reminder to the public of the FBI's longstanding record of successful public corruption investigations in the Detroit Metropolitan area”, said, David P. Gelios, Special Agent in Charge, Federal Bureau of Investigation.

“Betrayal of the public trust for personal gain will always be an investigative priority of the FBI and our partners in Michigan”.
Post Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:53 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: