FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Dale Weighill and Dayne Walling two peas in a pod!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ricky

Lucy

Biggie9 got some splaning to do!

If the mayors race were a horse race Dwayne has fallen in the chute.

In Flint MI how can Don Williamson lose, and if he does how can any white guy think he could possibly win???

Now granted Walter will argue that Dwayne does have some features of a great politician "Succesful...politicians are insecure and intimidated men. They advance politically only as they placate, appease, bribe, seduce, bamboozle or otherwise manage to manipulate the demanding and threatening elements of their constituencies." Walter Lippman, The Public Philosophy 1955

Bambooziling come to mind.

Splan this to me Lucy Pleeese.

Ricky
Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:16 am 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

I say the more candidates the merrier... I hope that we have a large field of informed and educated candidates that are willing to offer solutions to the many problems facing this City. I hope we have an open and honest debate about where we want our City to be in the next 4 years. The residents will be able to hear from the candidates and what they may have to offer, then choose who they think will best move Flint forward.
Post Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:05 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Dave

Dayne Walling doesn't support Affirmative Action... I talked to him about it and he isn't a supporter of it.. We can't have a man like that running FLINT CITY HALL.
Post Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:10 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

I don't think "affirmative action" should be that much of an issue in Flint. I think Flint is dangerous for everyone. I think there are not enough jobs for white or black people. In addition I think our mostly minority schools need help.

On another note I think our home business ban does hurt women and minorities and not the rich white people in places like the 8th ward. I oppose this ban.

Personally I think Stanley should be city administrator but not just because he's black. I also like Brian Williams for deputy chief. I don't know if Gary Hartley is black or white but he needs to be police chief.

I also think Flint should also hire poeple that live in Flint. This would benefit the citizens of Flint which would mostly benefit black people.

Even though I'm against affirmative action I think we should do things like improve our schools (mostly black), reduce crime, and bring in jobs. That would mostly benefit black people because Flint is majority black.
Post Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:10 pm 
iamlunchlady

You are right Adam we would not need affirmative action if the inner city schools (and communities) made sure kids were getting as much education, encouragement etc. as students in the suburban schools. I think parents have a huge responsibility but I don't think it is fair to the kids that they don't get the start they need in school to be able to compete on the same levels as kids from more affluent communities. That is why I think we still need affirmative action for now.
Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:56 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
iamlunchlady schreef:
You are right Adam we would not need affirmative action if the inner city schools (and communities) made sure kids were getting as much education, encouragement etc. as students in the suburban schools. I think parents have a huge responsibility but I don't think it is fair to the kids that they don't get the start they need in school to be able to compete on the same levels as kids from more affluent communities. That is why I think we still need affirmative action for now.

regarding the education element of this discussion.

the problem is affirmative action is based on race.

attendance in the poor, under-performing urban schools. is NOT.

So why should a poor white kid going to the same urban school as a black kid be penalized? He shouldn't of course.

Why should a black kid attending that wonderful affluent suburban school, with parents who are professionals, earning say 200K+ get preferential treatment over a white kid attending the same school [or even the poor urban school] whose parents earn $35k?
he shouldn't of course.
You keep talking about this like its a race-based issue, yet the core of the issue is really more income/class based.

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:25 am 
iamlunchlady

quote:
regarding the education element of this discussion.

the problem is affirmative action is based on race.

attendance in the poor, under-performing urban schools. is NOT.

So why should a poor white kid going to the same urban school as a black kid be penalized? He shouldn't of course.

Why should a black kid attending that wonderful affluent suburban school, with parents who are professionals, earning say 200K+ get preferential treatment over a white kid attending the same school [or even the poor urban school] whose parents earn $35k?
he shouldn't of course.
You keep talking about this like its a race-based issue, yet the core of the issue is really more income/class based.

True dat, Biggie. It is a problem of class. Those examples you give are more the exception than the rule though. Unfortunately the classes are not as racially balanced as they should be. There is a problem in the racial make-up of the classes. I think that affirmative action helps balance the situation but we have a long way to go. I don't think it is the answer, but it is all we have right now. I think that by the time kids are applying for college, it is almost too late. They need to get what they need from the very start of school.
Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:15 pm 
Joe

Dayne Walling went to HARVARD. He is very smart
Post Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:05 pm 
Joe Potatos

quote:
Joe schreef:
Dayne Walling went to HARVARD. He is very smart

Thats jus da problem. You/he is marketing him as something special a truly smart guy.

When what we want is someone whos one of us who happens to be smart.

Let me point out he is the one who designed this child like entry into Flint politics under the wing of Dan Kildee.

the results todate make him
THE STUPIDEST PERSON IN THE WORLD.
Post Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:12 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Dayne Walling and Dale Weighill are both AWESOME candiates.
Both really care about Flint Michigan. Both extremely educated.
Both would make great mayors!

We can only pick one however! Lets clear our minds of any info we have
on these two guys. Now lets start listening to what they have to say, looking
at their plans for Flint. Lets all call them up and talk to them, see how they interact with us.

Lets all see what they have done for Flint, and what they want to do in the future. Lets not allienate any candiate. Lets take all the canidates and embrace them, they obviously care so much about Flint, that we should thank them for running. We should also encourage them to stay involved and continue to work towards a "Better Flint Michigan".

I like a crowded field of canidates. Smile
Post Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
John Wilson
F L I N T O I D

Ryan is right... choice is what Flint needs when it comes to Mayoral candidates. Many people see that Flint is on some kind of modest rebound and want to be there as it heads toward a new chapter.

There are a lot of changes that still need to happen. Whomever can beat down the crime numbers will get national recognition. It will be a huge challenge.

Dayne Walling DID NOT go to Harvard. He went to Michigan State, then Oxford (England) as a Rhodes scholar.

Dayne's a smart guy. The thing about him is that he has book smarts AND street smarts. That's crucial.

And he's the ONLY candidate in this race that has ACTUALLY turned a city around (Washington DC).

So not only does he have the street smarts, the book smarts (poly sci and urban renewal degrees) he has the experience of actually doing it.

I think for many, he sounds just too damn good to be true. That's perfectly human. But he didn't move his entire family back to Flint to run for school crossing guard.

The guy is serious, and just what Flint needs.
Post Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:01 pm 
Dudette

quote:
roscoevanzandt schreef:
Ryan is right... choice is what Flint needs when it comes to Mayoral candidates. Many people see that Flint is on some kind of modest rebound and want to be there as it heads toward a new chapter.

There are a lot of changes that still need to happen. Whomever can beat down the crime numbers will get national recognition. It will be a huge challenge.

Dayne Walling DID NOT go to Harvard. He went to Michigan State, then Oxford (England) as a Rhodes scholar.

Dayne's a smart guy. The thing about him is that he has book smarts AND street smarts. That's crucial.

And he's the ONLY candidate in this race that has ACTUALLY turned a city around (Washington DC).

So not only does he have the street smarts, the book smarts (poly sci and urban renewal degrees) he has the experience of actually doing it.

I think for many, he sounds just too damn good to be true. That's perfectly human. But he didn't move his entire family back to Flint to run for school crossing guard.

Dayne Waylin is a loser
and Ryan Eashoo is a has been
Post Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:08 am 
Turned around DC

quote:
roscoevanzandt schreef:

--------------

Just how did the truly smart guy Dwayne turn around the city of Washington DC all by himsel? Did he invent the internet too!! No that was Gore but it sounds like they share the same PR ...

The last white mayor will be Don Williamson..he may implode because of self inflicted running of the mouth..

The numbers do not support a white person being elected other than Williamson ..unless you want Woodrow back find a black candidate. Now a truly smart guy would understand that. A truly smart guy would also know that the only advantage a candidate like Sir Dwayne can do is help Don Williamson cut up the white vote, hes got the black vote...

Dan Kildee is out there some where where because he's the golden boy. I think Kildee is working with Woodrow using Sir Dwayne to cut up the white liberal vote.Kildee bets this will hurt Williams but he is wrong again it will only help Williamson

Kildee will endorse Woodrow so that Woodrow will support Dan Kildee for Congress. The Cherrys have bought into this becasue one of them wants the County Clerk job and the other the County treasure job when Kildee goes to congress

Dwayne , Kildee has sold you a bill of goods. Sit down shut up and stay out of the way.

Happy Thanksgiving
What food kitchen are you working in today!
Post Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:58 am 
Jason

Dayne Walling is the ONLY candidate in the race who has NO record of accomplishment in Flint.

Is there any city in America that would elect someone who hasn't lived there in 10 years? Give me a break.
Post Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:05 pm 
two peas make a salad

We need all the help we can get. The more candidates the more isues talked about the more collective friends and family that get involved in Flint Public policy debate.
Post Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:04 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: