FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: dysfunctional flint council and administration
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Eva Worthing
11 hrs ·
I chose to walk out of today’s committee meeting because once again, irrelevant attacks were being made toward many council members that had nothing to do with our agenda. Once that starts happening, the meeting falls apart and city business does not get done.

I was also very disappointed that the ethics and accountability board was not on the agenda today. Council made a motion to put this issue on the committee agenda and it was missing. Not one council person was informed that it was removed from the agenda.

I had several concerns that I was going to bring up at today’s committee meeting. Water liens and the speed limit on Dort Hwy. are just a few. Without a parliamentarian, it is hard to get right to city business. With the mayor’s veto of the budget, we will not have someone to help keep our meetings on track.

I think we must hear from the public on these issues. If you are tired of the dysfunction, come to a council meeting to have your voice heard.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:23 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Matt Telliga Roberts Rules provides for you approve and add items to an agenda at the start correct?

Eva Worthing Yes but it seemed to be purposefully removed from the agenda. We talked about it anyway. Also, we don’t follow Robert’s Rules. Certain council members vote every meeting to have no rules. Thus, the chaos.
Post Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:27 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

‎Terry Bankert‎ to PEOPLE OF FLINT MICHIGAN
Yesterday at 5:04am
#Flint- #resistancewithresults- Flint Mayor Karen Weaver is acting like an “Emergency Manager”. She was indignant that the Council did it’s job to critique her budget and offer amendments. I heard others say that since surviving a recall she feels she has a mandate and we should all just submit. Our local law demands Flint has two equal units of Government the Mayor and Flint City Council. They are a check and balance to protect us. Weaver wants to reign supreme just like a “Snyder Emergency Manager”. Council I applaud you for doing your job. To the Mayor I suggest you read the Flint City Charter. @TerryBankert former Flint Ombudsman.
Flintcitycharter.com

Terry Bankert
Terry Bankert #Flint -After watching today’s city council meeting I concluded the checks and balance of the Strong Mayor City Council system has derailed in Flint Mi. Paradigms of good government are just window dressings. The rising hopes of reform, Master Plan and New Charter are being deflated. How can we work together for positive change? This is your city . Your assistance is requested. But how? Some talk of an inevitable bankruptcy on or about 2022. If you do not see this as a problem then there is no solution. The bullying and aggressive domination within the our local government will reward some and hurt many. Thank You to the Council for setting June 25 as the date for a public hearing to appoint our Flint Ethics and Accountability Board who will appoint our Flint Ombudsman. A glimmer of hope. Please share and get involved. @terrybankert former Flint Ombudsman
Post Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:30 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Terry Bankert #Flint -After watching today’s city council meeting I concluded the checks and balance of the Strong Mayor City Council system has derailed in Flint Mi. Paradigms of good government are just window dressings. The rising hopes of reform, Master Plan and New Charter are being deflated. How can we work together for positive change? This is your city . Your assistance is requested. But how? Some talk of an inevitable bankruptcy on or about 2022. If you do not see this as a problem then there is no solution. The bullying and aggressive domination within the our local government will reward some and hurt many. Thank You to the Council for setting June 25 as the date for a public hearing to appoint our Flint Ethics and Accountability Board who will appoint our Flint Ombudsman. A glimmer of hope. Please share and get involved. @terrybankert former Flint Ombudsman.

Carter Why's up about the houses that Flint got that have people still living in them? Something about 100k?

Eva Worthing Mays decided to take out houses instead of giving them to the land bank as an experiment. However, we have no resources or money to put into these homes. Instead of using $100,000 to fix them up and such, we were going to give up that project (of which I did not vote for) and use it to help fund our pitiful city clerk staff.
Post Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:38 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Arthur Woodson
8 hrs ·
See this is why I have a problem. Today they said at the committee meeting that none of the money came from the WIIN money, but in this article and I was at city council they said it was coming from that. Where did the money from the last phase come from? When you have different stories, I start asking questions.

The four contractors - Goyette Mechanical, Lang Construction Inc., WT Stevens, and Waldorf & Sons - were awarded the work after a controversial re-bid in March and are being paid from a $100 million grant from the federal Water Infrastructure Improvements for the Nation (WIIN) Act and a $20 million match from the state Department of Environmental Quality and Children Health Insurance grants.

Eva Worthing, didnt they say none of the money came from the feds in the last phase today?

MLIVE.COM
Over 6,200 Flint water service lines replaced in past two years
Over 6,200 lead and lead-tainted water pipes have been replaced in Flint over the past two years in the wake of city's lead-in-water crisis, officials say.

Arthur Woodson It's at the beginning when Eric ask where was the funding coming from. Newsome said the funding didnt come from WIIN money last year.
Post Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:39 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Eva Worthing
1 hr ·
Guess how council finds out about important issues like this and the MDEQ letter? Via the media.

This could have been brought up during the AECOM presentation last night.

State tells Flint it can't pay consultant with water service line money
Updated 9:41 AM; Posted 9:41 AM

By Ron Fonger rfonger1@mlive.com
FLINT, MI -- The state has told the city's chief financial officer to not to use money set aside for service line replacement work to pay a consultant more than $433,000 for work on other water system issues.

Amy Epkey, administration deputy director at the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, told Flint CFO Hughey Newsome that invoices for work by AECOM that are not related to service line work can't be paid from an initial $40 million allotment of federal Water Infrastructure Improvements for Nation funds.

The first $40 million is restricted to work only on the replacement of service lines, but Newsome had advised DEQ last month of his plan to pay AECOM for its overall water system planning, saying "the city sees no other path forward and must take this approach."

AECOM is an international engineering firm overseeing Flint's water system improvement program and the service line replacement program. Its $5 million contract includes the $433,276 invoiced for work it has done on the city's overall water system and plans for spending the remaining $80 million in state and federal funds.

"The MDEQ is emphasizing that, moving forward, all service lines that are to be replaced utilizing federal or state funding should first be hydro-excavated to determine material type," Oswald told Weaver.

The $120 million come from $100 million in federal and $20 million in state funds.

Epkey put the brakes on Flint paying for non-service line work until additional funds are released, according to a Tuesday, June 5, letter to Newsome, who said talks are continuing with the state to find a way to avoid city having to pay AECOM in advance of additional federal funds being released.

"It's an administrative challenge," he said.

Epkey said the DEQ may be able to help the city identify funding for the AECOM invoices if it gets more information.

With revamping the city's lead-tainted infrastructure, AECOM – under a $5 million contract – says it's also looking to bring transparency and accountability into the process.

MLive-The Flint Journal could not reach a representative of the company for comment.

In addition to oversight of Flint's program for replacing lead and galvanized service lines, AECOM has also helped to develop plans for other water system improvements, including modernization of water meters, right-sizing pumps and water transmission lines, and upgrades to equipment at Flint's water treatment plant.
Post Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:57 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

When RTAB was told how the mayor's office would not communicate with council, the administration was told they must open the lines of communication. If the Mayor is having regular meetings with council leadership, then those leaders are not communicating with the rest of council. Or the Administration thinks they have absolute authority and they don't need to inform council. Weaver may just tell council what she wants them to know.

NOT THE WAY IT SHOULD WORK!!
Post Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:06 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Matt Telliga I’m sorry, but benefits for part time employees is excess and not fiscally responsible

Eva Worthing It was a minimal cost that was already accounted for in the budget. It was also a restoration of what was taken away from council by the EFM. And, I’m sorry but I am far from part time. We will still be getting dental and vision even though the mayor vetoed all of our amendments.

I’m sorry that the mayor portrayed us as greedy and irresponsible. She increased her entire mayor’s budget by tens of thousands of dollars across the board for travel (for a companion), dues, seminars, etc. Council was very responsible and reallocated money to benefit our constituents to only partially properly staff our office (again staff that was taken away by the EFM).

Eva Worthing Oh, and no more grant for the police officers. I thought she supported the police? Very disappointing action from the mayor.
Post Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:10 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I’m sorry that the mayor portrayed us as greedy and irresponsible. She increased her entire mayor’s budget by tens of thousands of dollars across the board for travel (for a companion), dues, seminars, etc. Council was very responsible and reallocated money to benefit our constituents to only partially properly staff our office (again staff that was taken away by the EFM).

Who will be the mayor's traveling companion? She never used her campaign funds for all of her "travels to bring money to Flint". now Allegedly she was using her own funds. Now the taxpayers get to pay for her political travels along with her companion!
Post Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:12 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Eva Worthing Oh, and no more grant for the police officers. I thought she supported the police? Very disappointing action from the mayor.

Didn't the Flint Police just start a hiring initiative?

Will there be another complaint filed by police over the recent sergeants test that everyone failed but one? Deja Vu any one?
Post Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:22 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Once again certain council will fold when it comes to overriding the veto. At least when the financial problems occur, some council will not be at fault.

John Conyers was one of two sponsors of a study that showed Flint Michigan suffered the most of 4 cities with severe financial difficulties. (Detroit was one of the four) It was the loss of institutional knowledge in key departments (Grants, finance, Income tax, water, sewer, etc) that contributed to HUD paybacks and financial missteps.

I have spoken to people who never received their Flint income tax refunds in over three (3)years. Also the tax department claimed no tax forms and wanted higher tax payments than the CPA prepared tax statements.

Part time finance staff meant payment requests often sat on empty desks before being sent to Grants for payment, stressing non-profits depending on these payments.

Yet Weaver hires more staff at high salaries and loses revenue by not maintaining adequate staff in revenue generating departments. It seems everyone either had contractors that did not pull permits or knows someone who did not pull permits because there was no one to inspect their work and holding up jobs. HUD cited Flint for no permits and inspections for manynon-profit renovations.
Post Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:43 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Claire McClinton
May 15 at 11:07am
Thirsty for Clean Affordable Water and Flint City Council Leadership!
Not satisfied with demeaning and trashing each other,(bastardizing Roberts Rules of order-using "point of order" to interrupt each other and shut each other up-just for example!!), now the Flint City Council turns on the public at City Council meetings.Should Mr. Paulie have called a Council member a name? Absolutely not. But neither should he have been thrown out of the meeting! What happened to warnings?? Meanwhile Council President sleep at the wheel!! Another resident spoke at length berating a certain Councilperson behavior- but crickets from Prez!! On Councilperson accused Mr Paulie of being a plant to cause disruption on the Council!!! You can't make this stuff up!! It's outrageous!We have a "WHO'S wrong" council instead of a "WHATS wrong".council.
Here's a "point of Information" . The notorious Nestles Co. is in the throws of a public relations nightmare due to the permit MDEQ gave them to draw 400 gallons of water per minute from Oseola County for $200 annually. As part of damage control, they are going against MDEQ finding that Flint water is SAFE.How ironic!! We must continue to resist efforts to privitize our water resources n the name of profit!! Meanwhile each and every Councilperson have people in their ward who once recieved home deliveries such as elderly and dsabled. Each ward needs an action plan to ensure bottled water delivery continues.
Point of Order: Suspend all liens issued due to missed water bill payments!
Post Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:55 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Residents are complaining the Comcast channel has not shown a recent council meeting for over a month. That means seniors and those not internet savvy don't get to watch this council in action. I understand some shows are live streamed on the internet.
Is Paul Herrig being paid for these broadcasts?
Post Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:59 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Hey a show from May was shown !

Sally Haywood shared a post to Eva Worthing's timeline.
Yesterday at 10:25am ·

Sally Haywood
Yesterday at 10:22am
Watched a special finance council meeting that Mays chaired. What a carnival atmosphere! Mays suspended all rules which from what I read must only be done unanimously. This allowed Mays to run amok. Even the CFO left when his input was ignored.
Mays stood and hovered over the committee .To me that meant he was demonstrating his dominance, but he better realize there are other strong personalities on that council and his trying to control will only go so far.
While he is apparently trying to control his usual exaggerated hand and other gestures, he still uses his hands in an attempt to show authority. In reality that may mean he is stretching the truth. He still bends down, but not as much as before, when he stares the other council in the eyes. More dominance?
He comments on why he is talking loud and strong to indicate that he has a strong opinion about his position. He needs to realize that what is important is how the other council members perceive his actions and if they accept his attempts at authority.
His arrogance by continuing to walk out of the meeting and take lengthy phone calls was astonishing to me. Was he getting his marching orders? He kept insisting council needs to support all of Weaver's agenda.. Davis led in the budget process the need to provide support to the police.
Mays talked about his inability to make motions as chair of the Finance Committee. I don't understand the logic of his asking everyone in the meeting if they wanted the chair of Finance. Only the President can make or take away committee positions.
Council needs to remember they will get the blame for agreeing with poor decisions that end up costing the city money or have unintended consequences. Many of the debates during the recall elections focused on blaming the previous woes of the city on council members.. .
Post Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:34 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Here is an example of a leading politician criticizes council actions.

Genesee County Sheriff Department Press Releases

Council shares blame for city's bad loan to ex-con

Flint Jurnal Friday, May 20, 2005

Let it not be overlooked that the Flint City Council in 2001 blithely signed on to a $1.2 million loan to businessmen who are now accused of stealing it.

The council legitimately makes much of its belated scrutiny of former Mayor Woodrow Stanley's administration which bears a larger responsibility for this bad deal. But council members also missed opportunities to check spending , a lapse that contributed to Flint's financial woes.
Post Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:44 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: