FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: State gets F in ethics & integrity-county follows lead
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: Deb Cherry on the Land bank

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Another View: Myths about Genesee County Land Bank abound; here are the facts
Published: Sunday, January 30, 2011, 5:48 AM Updated: Sunday, January 30, 2011, 6:08 AM
By Community Voice | Flint Journal Letters

During the campaign for Genesee County Treasurer, I heard many complaints about the Genesee County Land Bank. I now serve as the chairperson of the Genesee County Land Bank Authority. As you can guess, I have followed up on the complaints I heard and have found that many of those complaints are repeated misconceptions, which have become common myths about the Land Bank. I hope to dispel these misconceptions here.

• Myth 1: The Land Bank sits on valuable property and won’t sell it. Since the Land Bank was established, over 3,900 tax-foreclosed properties have been sold — over 1,600 at public auction and nearly 2,300 through the Land Bank’s sales operations. Our sales figures speak for themselves.

However, some see the number of properties that are in the Land Bank’s inventory and say we must be quashing sales. The fact is that most properties that are tax-foreclosed have been abandoned for some period of years and are in such poor condition, it is likely they won’t be inhabited any time soon. Of the roughly 6,800 properties we are currently managing, over 4,100 are vacant lots in highly abandoned areas. There is simply no market for many of these properties. Of the remaining properties, about 400 are abandoned industrial and commercial properties. Many of these are environmentally contaminated or so dilapidated they need to be demolished. Of the remaining 2,300 residential structures, most have been stripped of any value and should also be demolished.

The sad fact is that there are many reasons people stop paying taxes and walk away from property.

• Myth 2: The Land Bank is the largest slumlord in Genesee County. The Land Bank follows local ordinances on rental properties. For example, in Flint, every rental property that the Land Bank has is registered with the city, brought up to code and made habitable. We are constantly working with our tenants to make necessary repairs and to keep the properties up to code.

That said, we do have a lot of property that comes to us in such poor condition it will ultimately need to be demolished. To that end, we have already demolished nearly 1,300 houses and through the Neighborhood Stabilization Programs (NSP) in Flint and the out-county, we will demolish nearly 800 more in the next two years. Through our weed- and trash-abatement efforts, the Land Bank removed over 1,500 tons of trash from abandoned properties in 2010 — that’s 3 million pounds of trash. Through a partnership with the City of Flint, the Land Bank cut grass and weeds and picked up trash on more than 18,000 abandoned properties — even though we only own about one-third of those. As much as any property owner, the Land Bank has been the victim of illegal dumping and of thieves who have stripped copper, aluminum siding and any fixtures of value left in the homes.

• Myth 3: Every abandoned property belongs to the Land Bank. In 2009, we estimated that there were 18,000 abandoned properties in the City of Flint alone. Of those, the Land Bank had control of about 5,500 — less than one in three properties. When we get calls from people about properties in need of maintenance, we typically find that about one in three is owned by the Land Bank, while two out of three are owned by banks, mortgage companies or, in most cases, private property owners who simply walked away from their responsibilities. As people walk away from these abandoned properties, in future years the Land Bank will surely see more of them coming into our inventory.

• Myth 4: The Land Bank is devaluing other rental properties. There are landlords in the area who have suggested that the Land Bank undercuts the rental market by charging too little in rent. Since the Land Bank has at most 100 rentals at any given time among the total of about 20,000 rental units in Flint, we hardly have that kind of influence in the market.

Recently the Genesee Landlords Association asked to see our rental list and the rates we charged. After their review, they concluded our rental rates were comparable to those of other landlords in the area. The more important factor is not how many rental properties the Land Bank leases to residents, but how many first-time homeowners we have created. The Land Bank has sold nearly 500 homes to first-time homeowners on land contracts. The average monthly payment is about $200, and the term of the loan is generally five years or less, making these homes affordable for even the lowest wage earners in the area. Once a family establishes a payment history on one of our rental properties, we work with them so they can purchase the property and begin accruing equity in their own home.

• Myth 5: The Land Bank keeps properties off the tax rolls, costing local units tax dollars. The way that properties come to the Land Bank is that private owners have stopped paying their taxes and walked away from the property. These properties were not generating taxes for at least two years prior to them being foreclosed. If anything, our efforts to sell properties and get them back on the tax rolls results in local units benefiting from additional taxes they would likely not be receiving if the properties were to have gone to the state. That’s how the foreclosures were handled before the county opted to become the foreclosing governmental unit. Since the Land Bank was formed, we have put more than $10 million worth of property back on the tax rolls through our sales operations.

I hope this information is helpful to those who have had questions about the Genesee County Land Bank Authority.

– Deborah Cherry is the Genesee County Treasurer and chairperson of the Genesee County Land Bank Authority.

Post Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:12 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

By Dan Kildee

Fifty-eight Flint houses, bought for a total of $25,350 at a “scavenger sale” auction last November, found their way onto eBay this month.

The winning bid of $92,800 will, if the transaction is successfully completed, transfer ownership of the now-vacant properties from an Illinois investment company to the hands of an unknown Internet buyer.

Those investors will have made a tidy profit. But there’s no way to know what, if anything, the new owners have planned for the empty homes. We can only hope that whoever ends up owning these properties won’t let them fall into the same kind of disrepair that gave us landmark eyesores like Genesee Towers and the old Durant Hotel — in its former condition.

This deal is, in short, a disaster waiting to happen. But it didn’t have to be that way, and we can stop it from happening again if the Legislature acts.

Michigan law currently requires these no-minimum-bid “scavenger sale” auctions, as part of the process for dealing with tax-foreclosed properties. If a property does not sell at a first, standard auction, with guidelines for minimum bids and other safeguards, it is dealt with in a second auction, one where the county has to accept the highest bid no matter what.

At one time, this approach might have made sense, ensuring that the properties brought in at least some small amount of revenue. But, in this market, no good is coming from such a system. Instead, it produces profits for outside speculators and does little to ensure that the properties will be used productively.

Today, we have a far better alternative in place: the Genesee County Land Bank.

As things stand now, tax-foreclosed properties come under the control of the Land Bank when the second auction fails to produce a bidder. But, since its creation in 2004, the Land Bank has proved that it can make good decisions about how to deal with these properties, keeping them out of the hands of speculators and, whenever possible, returning them to local ownership and some kind of productive use.

The Durant Hotel is one example. The Land Bank acquired it in 2005, after the building had stood vacant for 37 years, and then set about securing government, foundation and investor financing to bring it back to life. Thanks to the Mott Foundation, the Land Bank and other partners, the grand reopening last September was a cause for celebration.

In its seven years of existence, the Land Bank has received thousands of properties, and has managed to demolish nearly 1,300 of those abandoned houses, many of which would still otherwise be in the hands of speculators — like the “unknown” Ebay buyer.

Even more impressively, Land Bank finds new, permanent owners for about 400 properties a year — over 2,300 to date. And because the Land Bank is careful to set responsible, manageable terms for those sales, the default rate on those transactions is a miniscule 5 percent.

It is time for the state Legislature to remove the second auction requirement from the books and empower the Land Bank to take control of properties that cannot be sold in a standard auction.

To be sure, the Land Bank is not a cure-all for the many challenges facing our city. It has faced its own problems in dealing with the large number of vacant properties currently under its control. But even though it might sometimes seem easier just to auction off all the tax-foreclosed properties to the speculators and hope for the best, we know this is not the responsible approach. After all, that was the system the Land Bank replaced. It was a miserable failure.

The Land Bank isn’t perfect, but it is in the best position to make decisions that are in the long-term, best interests of Genesee County.

And it sure beats watching our hometown being auctioned off, piece by piece, over the Internet.

– Dan Kildee was formerly the treasurer of Genesee County and the chairman and chief executive officer of its Land Bank. Currently, he is the president of the Center for Community Progress, a nonprofit group based in Flint and Washington, D.C., dedicated to revitalizing and reinventing American cities.

Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:08 am

Post Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:14 pm

theboyzmom
F L I N T O I D

So many of Cherry's statements make me angry that I do not know where to begin. She is a consummate politician. She says pretty words that are carefully crafted to fudge on facts. For instance, the statement that GCLB owns less than one in three abandoned properties but keep them up is immediately followed by the comment that one in three calls is a complaint about their properties. So obviously, they get more complaints about their properties than the average abandoned property. This is followed by a statement that they keep their properties up to code and habitable. Both of these can not be true. If they are truly following all the codes a private person must follow, they would get very few complaints. And if the LB wants, and does, to follow all the rules why have they made themselves EXEMPT from all rules and codes? The dichotomy is amazing to me. Yet many people swallow this BS hook, line and sinker and ask for more. So sad.

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:09 am

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Comments on the article.....
DWCBOB January 30, 2011 at 8:00AM
Follow

Deb, you forgot to mention the FACT that the land bank is exempt from the blight ordinances. In our neighborhood, the worst trash strewn properties by far are the land bank owned ones.

bobjgumby January 30, 2011 at 8:36AM
Follow

I love how you completely ignore this FACT, " the Land Bank removed over 1,500 tons of trash from abandoned properties in 2010 — that’s 3 million pounds of trash." Perhaps if you and your neighbors would stop illegally dumping crap on their properties there wouldn't be that much trash strewn about their properties.

DWCBOB January 30, 2011 at 6:21PM
Follow

I hope you have proof of your accusations, gumby. Or, are you the same person that told me to do it myself when I asked land bank personnel if their overgrown properties on Proctor Ave. could be mowed, since the grass & weeds were over 3ft tall.

flintastic January 30, 2011 at 8:36AM
Follow

anything ran by Democrats is EXEMPT from any rules or laws!!! "duh"!!!DWCBOB
and by the way some how they will find some overhead! Its got to be profitable to THEM!some how most likely they will infulence something to work out $$better$$ for a donor to their election camp.or someone willing to give them a personal gift!! vote DEB!

FREEDOMOFTHEPRESS January 30, 2011 at 8:41AM
Follow

It is a fact: The land bank is a worthless blight on society that impedes progress.
Bobby January 30, 2011 at 9:00AM
Follow

It's a fact: Despite a direct answer to many of the myths that circulate on MLIVE regarding the land bank, people like freedom fighters, and dwcbob have no interest in the facts and merely will continue to propagate misinformation.

Nice work DEB

mrblond January 30, 2011 at 10:17AM
Follow

What Bobby said.

Appreciate the attempt to get out information Ms. Cherry, but don't be surprised when the people with their hands over their eyes and fingers in their ears continue to spout the same, inaccurate crap that fits with their biases and ideology, facts be dammed.

kevinmckague January 30, 2011 at 12:00PM
Follow

Agreed. I didn't get the freedom fighter part, but Bobby is right.

Keep up the good work Deb!

flintstonerunner January 30, 2011 at 1:08PM
Follow

Cherry will do anything to keep her job. Land Bank is a waste of government money. She can’t justify her rate on return when they spent apprx. $65,000 – $75,000 per house that cost approx. 15,000 to be demolished.

FLINT NEEDS A CHANGE and putting a Cherry on top won't solve the issue.

detachedview January 31, 2011 at 9:33AM
Follow

They cost that much to demo due to regulations in their federal grant that overinflate wages and make the disposal of lead based paint and asbestos prohibitively high. Blame Uncle Sam if you will, but better the money be spent and some progress made.

marklemon January 30, 2011 at 1:38PM
Follow

Flintstonerunner - with all due respect, you're speaking on opinion - not on facts. The fact is that Federal Government grants come with strings attached.

For example, a typical grant will stipulate that in order to get dollars for demolition, you have to spend a percentage of those dollars for rehab. If the Land Bank doesn't follow through with the rehabs, they have to pay the entire grant back.

Privately Land Bank officials will tell you they aren't happy with the "strings" that come attached to Federal Grants, but the alternative would be no money for demolitions at all.

ANTIAV January 30, 2011 at 1:38PM
Follow

65 k to demolish a house? burn it.. free.. clean it up.. what maybe 3k..if that.
of course I have absolutely no clue what im talking about.

ickym January 30, 2011 at 1:49PM
Follow

Thanks Deb and also thank you flintstonerunner for asking the correct question regarding the cost of all this effort. Now, specifically, "what is the value added? Has anyone figured out the avg. cost to tear down a home?, take the remains away?, landscape the remaining yard?, and cost to rehab an existing home that has a chance of survival with some work?."

Next question is, "how many un-employed Flint natives has been used in any of these efforts?" I hope that many have. We need to get people working and get them off the welfare rolls. I hope that as part of this effort there is good training so they can start businesses and employ others who need jobs.

I look forward to seeing the reponse. I asked for this information 7 years ago, but somehow it wasn't made available. I was trying to start a high school training program for those kids who were interested - evidently no one was. Maybe you younger types can get something going. It is another way to stop crime.

I also suggested homesteading the sale of homes like these. You sell the home for a hundred dollars and give the owner one year to make it completely liveable. Could get anyone interested in that effort either. It has been very successful in other cities. The landbank should really look at this effort. Try Baltimore, Maryland if you want details.

DWCBOB January 30, 2011 at 6:25PM
Follow

There sure are a lot of land bank employees posting here.
Inappropriate? Alert us.
January 31, 2011 at 9:37AM

Don't know if they are employees of the Land Bank or not, but they are the only ones not spouting off based on misperceptions. Man, it is really amazing how far people can run with just a little bit of information.

kelsey January 30, 2011 at 6:25PM
Follow

Unemployed Flint natives never work on any of the projects--both construction and demolition--that I have seen going on in Flint. Those working are companies with guys from Grand Blanc, Davison, or smaller towns farther away. Believe it or not, some of these Flint thugs could be trained. Some of the older ones really want to work. Meanwhile fully functioning employed/retired Flint residents with steady incomes are forced to flee from habitable homes due to lack of police protection. People don't "walk away" from their responsibilities--they RUN away from waves of assault from the north. Home invasion, car-jackings, harassment, drug-dealing, general unpleasantness and proliferation of thug culture. As the dominoes fall, the Land Bank can't keep up.
Inappropriate? Alert us.
Reply Post new
deelee39
deelee39 January 31, 2011 at 12:23AM
Follow

Having made a life-long living off of taxpayers I wouldn't expect ol' Deb to argue against the democrat mantra of "I'm from the government and I'm here to help"......
Inappropriate? Alert us.
Reply Post new
https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id?id=AItOawmCDWEDmS_PEmOp5_tRTwJmIwbNzcdE2FE
jwilly48519 January 31, 2011 at 1:27AM
Follow

Thanks for the report, Ms. Cherry. It was predictable that the malcontents wouldn't be impressed, but it's helpful nonetheless.

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:39 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Myth 1- Land bank is sitting on some properties and won't sell.

Response: True and that came from the formerTreasurer. There are properties that the Land bank believes have a future development value and they refuse to sell them. Also I have been in meetings where residents in reasonably stable north end neighborhoods have been denied the opportunity to buy lots next to them. So I guess your figures don't speak for themselves. Also, how many were sold in auctions.

At one time the land bank would only demolish 75 houses per year in Flint. You must be showing the number of houses demolished the entire time in existance and you don't break it down by flint versus the outcounty. More were torn down when we had funding to pay half of the demolition costs.

Flint can't charge the county for violations on their properties. In the past Flint has gone out and remedied some of these properties because the land bank said they did not have the money. And some councilpersons bragged they got better services while they were in council meetings.

Kildee was angry when Williamson bashed the land bank but then he refused to keep all of his agreements with Williamson. At one point the majority of calls to the mayors office involved land bank properties.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:13 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

I actually know of properties the land Bank owns that were not maintained. Also I know individuals who had the land bank refuse to maintain properties that were next door to land Bank properties. They seemed to pick and choose their neighborhoods.

The city responded to many severe instances of problems with land bank properties.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:26 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Kildee is right about one thing and that is the issue of property belonging to banks, mortgage companies and REOS that sit vacant and unmaintained. There is a national vacant property organization with solutions used by other communities. register these properties and charge a fee for registration. Implement ordinances that address the lack of maintenance and have penalties up to the forfeeeiture of the property.

many of these owners don't pay the taxes and let the neighborhood suffer .

Cherry obviously has not read the documents produced under Kildee by the Genesee Institute. Kildee even spoke of the cost of vacnt properties on the neighborhood versus the impact of a maintained vacant lot.

Post Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:40 pm
Post Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:11 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: Council President unbecoming-Poplar breaks rules

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Council has an immunity while in session except in certain circumatances. Council went through a big production of promoting their new rules and they announce before every meeting that public speakers are not to defame individuals.

Then as she congratulates Kay Muhammed on her new position as head of transportation, Poplar finds it necessary to disparage those who were in the position before. Not to take away from Muhammed, who is a brilliant woman, but she lacks experience in many areas such as construction, road building etc. Is this the reason Eason is pushing the city to hire two engineers, a city engineer and a mechanical engineer.

With Poplar it may well be a race thing too as the previous directors were white and Poplar seems (to me) to to always be playing the race card. Remember she pushed for a certain Clio Rd business to get city sponsored loan and was unaware he already had at least two.

This is definitely unbecoming behavior as Poplar could have praised Muhammed and never had to denigrate Muhammed's predecessor. In my opinion, Poplar is unworthy of her position.

We also needto be aware of just what minority contractors are getting work in the 20% set asides by Boji in the second ward. I am not saying this is a bad thing, but as we saw in Detroit with Kwame Kilpatrick, it is also a way of helping friends and getting kickbacks. Is anyone monitoring the process? How are these subcontractors being selected and is Eason micromanaging this venue too?

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:49 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Poplar and the City of Flint have been sued by John Carpenter over her denigrating and slanderous speech aginst him.
IS IT NO WONDER THAT PEOPLE DON'T RESPECT COUNCIL! Council thnks they can say anything they want about anyone they choose.

Post Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:48 am

Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Is Kay related to anyone else that works at City Hall?

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Council has an immunity while in session except in certain circumatances. Council went through a big production of promoting their new rules and they announce before every meeting that public speakers are not to defame individuals.

Then as she congratulates Kay Muhammed on her new position as head of transportation, Poplar finds it necessary to disparage those who were in the position before. Not to take away from Muhammed, who is a brilliant woman, but she lacks experience in many areas such as construction, road building etc. Is this the reason Eason is pushing the city to hire two engineers, a city engineer and a mechanical engineer.

With Poplar it may well be a race thing too as the previous directors were white and Poplar seems (to me) to to always be playing the race card. Remember she pushed for a certain Clio Rd business to get city sponsored loan and was unaware he already had at least two.

This is definitely unbecoming behavior as Poplar could have praised Muhammed and never had to denigrate Muhammed's predecessor. In my opinion, Poplar is unworthy of her position.

We also needto be aware of just what minority contractors are getting work in the 20% set asides by Boji in the second ward. I am not saying this is a bad thing, but as we saw in Detroit with Kwame Kilpatrick, it is also a way of helping friends and getting kickbacks. Is anyone monitoring the process? How are these subcontractors being selected and is Eason micromanaging this venue too?

Post Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:40 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Kay Muhammad is said to be related through her father to the Poplar's. Then Jackie and Donna married Poplar brothers. That is supposed to be their relationship. Kay has never hidden it.

Post Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:05 pm
Post Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:16 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: Walling taking on Leyton?

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

leyton must want out of the Prosecutors job as he has been searching for an appointment,including a judge position!

Posted on January 16, 2011 by Crusader News Service

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Walling Takes Shots at
Prosecuting Attorney's
Office in Meeting With
Murder Victim Families

BY MIKE KILLBREATH
Crusader News Service
Executive Editor & Publisher

Flint Mayor Dayne Walling met Saturday at the North Flint Police Mini Station on M.L. King with families of murder victims, and was highly critical of Genesee County Prosectuor David Leyton.

Leyton could not be reached for comment because the Genesee County Prosecutor's Office is closed on Sunday.

Walling made his comments Saturday to a small group and a video was posted online by Good Morning Flint's Terry Bankert on his FacebooK Page. More than a dozen members of the local law enforcement community sent texts, e-mails or called the FAME HOT LINE to complain about Mayor Walling's comments after watching the video.

"He talks about 40,000 outstanding warrants and how does he come off blaming the prosecutor," said one caller who identified himself as a current member of the Flint Police Department, but asked that his name not be used. "If Walling wants those warrants cleared up, he should attack the ones first with multiple warrants. As for the rest of them, the city jail should be open to give them a place to stay until they pay up on their fines. Or how about hiring a minimum wage person to sit and call phone numbers of people with warrants to let them know they need to pay up or face being arrested. But who is gonna go arrest these people? Walling keeps laying off police officers, so who can do this? It's not the job of the prosectuor's office to go pick these people up. I'm sure Mr. Leyton will send someone to prosecte if Mr. Walling's team can get some police officers to pick up the dangerous thugs who have warrants out for them. As to most of them, he can send his own prosecutor from the city attorney's office. That comes under his budget, his control. This guy is just full of hot air, pointing fingers at everyone except looking into the mirror."

"Mr. Walling, I'm on duty right now as a Flint police officer, and there are five of us tonight with one sitting on his butt back at the station which is closed up on weekends," said another by text. "We won't get to all the calls tonight, so how do you suppose we are to work on 40,000 people wanted on warrants? You are an absolute joke."

A member of the prosectuor's team called to say, "Don't reveal who I am but hey Hot Line, let everyone know Mr. Leyton has a reduced staff but can certainly keep up with the work load from Walling's joke of a police force. No disrespect to the officers who are there, well maybe to a few, but Mayor Walling needs to put some police officers on the street before he starts throwing stones at Mr. Leyton and the feds. If I didn't hear it with my own ears, I would not have believed such comments could come from someone who is mayor of a city. Dayne Walling is a disgrace. These comments will spell an end to his job of pretending to play mayor when he has no clue what he's doing."

Calls to the FAME HOT LINE can be directed to (810) 406-1695 if any readers would like to defend Mayor Walling's comments on Saturday. E-mails can be directed to FAME HOT LINES and letters can be sent c/o ADvantage Media Group, Suite 120 at 801 South Grand Traverse, Flint, MI 48503. Comments can also be directed via a private or public message on FacebooK.

Walling complained to the families of murder victims about unsolved crimes, saying, ""Every one of those that's unsolved means there's somebody out in our community who commited that crime whose either committed more of them, or who could commit one in the future. The other thing I do want you to hear from me is that we do have a real problem with the criminal justice system as a whole... Obvioulsy I don't supervise the prosecutor and he does not have to listen to anything I say. The (Genesee County Board of Commissioners) sets his budget and there's a different relationship there, but we've got a problem with that whole system. I'm talking about if nobody shows up for the appearance tickets, we've got 40,000 outstanding arrests in the City of Flint, outstanding warrants. Some of those are multiple for the same individual. Our jail is over-stuffed every day of the week. SOmething about this system is not working right. There are too many plea bargains. There are not enough individuals being prosectued in the federal system for the gun crimes so they can not be a burden on our own local and state systems."

Walling vowed to get input from citizens to "come up with recommendations" to improve the criminal justice system, saying, "We are gonna have to fix this system."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOR THE CLIENTS OF
ADvantage Media Group LLC

Call (810) 406-1673
Print • Internet
TV • Radio • Billboard

Call (810) 406-1673
ADvantage Media Group LLC
JMK Mansion Office Centre
801 Grand Traverse Suite 101
Downtown Flint

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:25 pm

ConcernedCitizen
F L I N T O I D

Walling is complaining about people with warrants not being picked up by the Prosecutor's office. Now I know why Walling thinks it's OK to lay off so many police. He probably thinks the Prosecutor's office is also supposed to do patrols, make arrests, fill out paperwork and man the jails. Maybe in Walling's World (where the sun never shines), that's how it works.

It’s all smoke and mirrors to throw scrutiny on anybody but himself. Walling knows that his pathetic administration cannot stand up to scrutiny. And this man was a Rhodes Scholar. My opinion of Rhodes Scholars has been greatly diminished.

While the Prosecutor's office is fighting crime on the streets, maybe we can get them to fight fires as well so Walling can keep laying more firefighters off as well!

Post Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:32 pm
Post Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:19 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: Flint barely above 100,000 in census

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Census: 4 Of 5 Largest Mich. Cities Lost People
Census Shows Detroit's Population Plummets 25 Percent

POSTED: 2:59 pm EDT March 22, 2011
UPDATED: 5:51 pm EDT March 22, 2011

facebookdel.icio.usbuzzdiggreddit›› Email›› Print
TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. -- New census data shows that Detroit's population dropped 25 percent in the last decade, with the city losing more than 237,000 people.

A significant drop was expected, but U.S. Census Bureau statistics released Tuesday caught some experts off-guard.

The data shows Detroit's population fell from 951,270 in 2000, to 713,777 in 2010. State demographer Ken Darga says that's "considerably lower" than the Census Bureau estimate released last year.

The data reflects the exodus of city residents to the suburbs and the auto industry's steady decline. The Motor City's population peaked at 1.8 million in 1950, when it ranked fifth nationally.

Gov. Rick Snyder says the numbers "clearly show how crucial it is to reinvent Michigan" and that the state can no longer "cling to the old ways of doing business."

Based on the data, Flint no longer is one of the five largest cities in Michigan.

The Census Bureau says Detroit remains No. 1, followed by Grand Rapids, Warren, Sterling Heights and Lansing. Sterling Heights in Macomb County saw its population grow by 4 percent since 2000. Other cities in the Michigan top five all lost residents, including Detroit, with its staggering 25 percent drop.

Saginaw Planning tweeted out that the official 2010 Census count for the city of Saginaw is 51,508.

Meanwhile, the population of Michigan's Upper Peninsula has fallen 2 percent compared to 2000.

The U.P. has 311,361 people, down from more than 317,000 a decade ago. The numbers include people who are free as well as those who are locked up. The Census Bureau counts inmates as part of the local population, and Michigan has seven prisons in the U.P.

Marquette remains the largest county in the U.P. with 67,077 people. Ontonagon County had the largest percentage drop among all counties in the state, 13 percent.

Keweenaw, a peninsula on Lake Superior, is the smallest county in Michigan with 2,156 residents. That's about four per each square mile of land in the county.

City 2000 2010 Chg.No. Chg.Pct.

Detroit 951,270 713,777 - 237,493 -25.0
Grand Rapids 197,800 188,040 - 9,760 -4.9
Warren 138,247 134,056 - 4,191 -3.0
Sterling Heights 124,471 129,699 5,228 4.2
Lansing 119,128 114,297 - 4,831 -4.1
Ann Arbor 114,024 113,934 - 90 -0.1
Flint 124,943 102,434 - 22,509 -18.0
Dearborn 97,775 98,153 378 0.4
Livonia 100,545 96,942 - 3,603 -3.6
Westland 86,602 84,094 - 2,508 -2.9
Troy 80,959 80,980 21 0
Farmington Hills 82,111 79,740 - 2,371 -2.9
Kalamazoo 77,145 74,262 - 2,883 -3.7
Wyoming 69,368 72,125 2,757 4.0
Southfield 78,296 71,739 - 6,557 -8.4
Rochester Hills 68,825 70,995 2,170 3.2
Taylor 65,868 63,131 - 2,737 -4.2
St. Clair Shores 63,096 59,715 - 3,381 -5.4
Pontiac 66,337 59,515 - 6,822 -10.3
Dearborn Heights 58,264 57,774 - 490 -0.8

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:24 pm
untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

New 2010 Census data shows Flint population at 102,434
Published: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 2:03 PM Updated: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 3:11 PM
By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal

Flint Journal file photoDowntown Flint in 2004.
FLINT, Michigan — The city of Flint's population is 102,434 people, the lowest it's been since the 1920s, according to the new 2010 U.S. Census count released today.

That means the city of Flint has lost 22,500 people over the past decade — an 18 percent loss. Flint had 124,943 residents in 2000. S

till, the city managed to hold on to its ranking as the seventh largest city in Michigan.

Genesee County's 2010 population is 425,790, down 2.4 percent from 436,141 in 2000.

The numbers show a continuing downward trend for Flint's population, which peaked at nearly 200,000 people in 1960, when General Motors was in its heyday.

Community leaders have worried about Flint's ability over the next decade to stay above 100,000 residents — a significant benchmark for state and federal aid.

The government uses the population and demographic data to allocate funds to schools, programs for women and children, public transportation, roads, senior citizen programs, and emergency food and shelter.

Flint's population over the decades:

1920 — 91,599

1930 — 156,492

1940 — 151,543

1950 — 163,143

1960 — 196,940

1970 — 193,317

1980 — 159,611

1990 — 140,761

2000 — 124,943

2010 — 102,434

Source: U.S. Census Bureau

For more on this developing story, visit www.mlive.com/flint later today.

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:29 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Additional Data: To access data from multiple geographies within the state, such as census blocks, tracts, voting districts, cities, counties and school districts, visit American Factfinder: http://factfinder2.census.gov.

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:35 pm

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I see Detroit's down to 713,000 & Michigan's the only state to show a population drop.

Flint's drop is very visible as I take my thrice weekly morning walk through the ghost town once known as Civic park.

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:51 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Genesee County board Chairman Jamie Curtis says census count 'really good news'
Published: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 4:44 PM
By Ron Fonger | Flint Journal
GENESEE COUNTY, Michigan -- County Board of Commissioners Chairman Jamie Curtis is calling the county's less-than expected 2.4 percent population loss "really good news."

"It's very good news that the county didn't take as big a hit as anticipated ... after 10 years of the worst economic downturn," Curtis said. "We are still the fifth-largest county in the state. We haven't lost that position."

The county's overall population dropped by 10,351 people from 2000 to 2010, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, but some communities posted gains, helping to offset big losses in the city of Flint's population.

The countywide reduction is less than the Census Bureau had projected as recently as this month.

In estimates released just weeks ago by the Census Bureau, the county was projected to have lost more than 17,000 people over the last decade.

County Commissioner John Northrup, D-Flint, said he expected worse.

"I'm surprised," said Northrup, who represents part of the city of Flint, which lost 22,500 people over the past deacde -- an 18 percent reduction.

"With as many (vacant) homes as there are I wonder, where are (all the people)?" Northrup said.

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:02 pm

00SL2
F L I N T O I D

How many of Flint's 102,434 are college students whose home town is not Flint, or are "homeless" who may not be permanently in Flint, or former residents who have already left Flint? It's hard to believe there are that many residents now.

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:38 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

I agree as the number of vacant homes are growing.

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:57 am

00SL2
F L I N T O I D

After the original census was done, there was another special group sent out to find the homeless again. What's the possibility they were counted twice?
---
Some college students were counted twice, once in college town where they are living, and again in home town by parents who claim them as dependents.

Last edited by 00SL2 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:02 pm

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I mailed my census form in, then a young lady came around insisting I answer her census questions to "verify" I had mailed my form. I refused & she got irate & left. Never heard any more about it, but wonder if it was an attempt to double count.

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:12 pm

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
I agree as the number of vacant homes are growing.

Hey, it's not that bad. On our morning walks, we've been on some blocks that have 2 occupied houses on them.

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:13 pm

00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
I mailed my census form in, then a young lady came around insisting I answer her census questions to "verify" I had mailed my form. I refused & she got irate & left. Never heard any more about it, but wonder if it was an attempt to double count.
Young lady did the same thing at the building where I work. She wanted to know everybody who worked there, what does that have to do with census?

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:28 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

So shrinking slower than expected is a good thing?
Published: Friday, March 25, 2011, 7:42 PM Updated: Friday, March 25, 2011, 7:50 PM
By Andrew Heller | Flint Journal The Flint Journal

Come Heller high water…

Unlike the mayor, I guess I fail to see the good news in the census numbers. One hundred and two thousand people live in the city, but a stunning 2,000 per year, nearly one in five, have left since 2000. So at that rate, Flint will be empty 2062, right? Yikes.

The Genesee County board chairman also liked the county’s numbers, which showed a 2.4 percent population loss, or 10,351 people, from 2000 to 2010. He expected it to be more. But, again, is that good news? Isn’t that like the captain of the Titanic saying, “Great news, people, we’re sinking slower than before.”

Ironically, I’ll bet the economic implosion of the last three years has kept a lot of people from leaving. When people have no money, no job, and suddenly owe more on their homes than their worth, it’s a lot harder to leave.

Post Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:03 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Just like detroit, urban African Americans are moving to the suburbs,

Census 2010: Genesee County communities more diverse; Hispanic population grows
Published: Friday, March 25, 2011, 9:59 PM Updated: Saturday, March 26, 2011, 7:03 AM
By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal The Flint Journal
GENESEE COUNTY — The face of Genesee County is changing, reflected in the shifting demographics of nearly every local community.

Over the last decade, just about every city and township in the county has become more diverse — though some much more slowly than others, according to new 2010 U.S. Census data released this week .

Some communities, like Grand Blanc Township and Swartz Creek, showed growth in most racial and ethnic populations since the last census count in 2000.

Others, like Burton and Flint Township, increased their minority population, but also experienced the most white flight, statistics show.

Flint Township, for example, gained 2,779 black people, but lost 4,500 white people to become 68 percent white and 26 percent black, data show.

The county’s Hispanic population showed the most gain, mirroring a statewide and national trend, with the largest increases in Grand Blanc Township, Burton and Flint.

In Genesee County, Latinos increased by 28 percent, or 2,831 people, even as the overall county population declined, data show.

In all, the numbers show a continued trend toward diversity, reflected in schools, churches and local businesses.

“It simply does reflect the changing opportunities and probably some changes in attitudes over decades,” said Paul Rozycki, political science professor at Mott Community College. “It’s not surprising at all. It’s a good trend in a lot of ways.”

Grand Blanc Township resident William Kornegay’s story is similar to that of many in the local African-American community.

He moved to the area from Florida 40 years ago looking for work. Like so many others, he took a job with General Motors and spent most of his adult life working there.

He settled his family in Grand Blanc because of its reputation for good schools and picturesque neighborhoods.

One of the fastest-growing communities in the county, the township has seen increases in every population category over the last decade, the largest among blacks. The township is now 83 percent white, 11 percent black and 3 percent Asian. It’s also 3 percent Hispanic.

The local black population in the township more than doubled from 10 years ago to 4,009 people.

“I see it in my neighborhood every day,” said Kornegay. “When we moved here, you could count the number of minority black kids on your fingers and toes. Today, it’s a ton.”

The attributes that attracted Kornegay to the township are still drawing people from urban areas, such as the city of Flint, he said.

“People want to have better opportunities for their kids,” said Kornegay, 78, who lives in a tree-lined subdivision just south of Hill Road. “You want them to be better off than you were when you came along.”

Changes in Swartz Creek, the predominantly white city just 10 miles west of Flint, show it’s quietly becoming more diverse. Swartz Creek’s African-American population more than quadrupled over the 10 years, up from 62 people to 292 people.

The growing community includes families such as the Grays, who were looking for an escape from urban life without going too far.

Ryan Grays said he and his wife Joya moved their four children from the south side of Flint into a spacious apartment in Burkeshire Pointe in Swartz Creek two years ago because they were tired of being surrounded by noise and crime.

“There were people outside on the street shooting each other,” said Grays, 27, whose children are ages 2, 5, 7 and 10. “It’s so quiet here. We don’t worry about crime at all.”’

Grays, whose wife works at a retail store in Flint, said he hasn’t noticed a dramatic increase in diversity in the city of Swartz Creek itself but has seen a large number of African-American families specifically moving into Burkeshire.

The 112-unit development that sits on 20 acres opened nearly seven years ago for low- and moderate-income families. It offers access to a clubhouse, community room, computer center with a printer and Internet access, picnic area with grills and playground.

“This is much nicer than we could get in Flint,” Grays said.

Longtime Swartz Creek business owner Steve Mardlin also said he’s noticed more diversity in the community as new housing complexes opened up in the community.

Since 2000, Swartz Creek has seen at least half a dozen new housing developments.

“I think they’re looking for suburban living in a good community and they’re looking for something decent at a low price,” said Mardlin, who serves on the board of Swartz Creek’s Downtown Development Authority and is an ambassador for the Chamber of Commerce.

Some of the demographic change has slowly swept through Swartz Creek School District, which saw a nearly 45 percent increase in black students in just the last five years.

The demographic group grew from 156 students in the 2005-2006 school year to 226 students this year — although Swartz Creek draws students from 18 different school districts including Carman-Ainsworth and Flint.

About 116 students also identified themselves as multi-racial this year, a category that the school previously wasn’t required to report.

“As far as diversity is concerned, the community is just gradually becoming more like America,” Superintendent Jeff Pratt said. “We’re just a melting pot.”

City Manager Paul Bueche said the difference in numbers hasn’t translated into big community changes — the increase of 230 people still means the African-American population make up just a 5 percent slice of the community.

He said the change seems to be part of the overall 12 percent increase in the city’s population, now up to 5,758.

“I haven’t noticed any impact on the city ... but it means we’re growing, which is a good thing,” he said.

The U.S. Census Bureau collects data on race and ethnic origin for government use to evaluate programs or enforce laws, such as the Voting Rights Act and Fair Housing Act.

Racial data will also be examined locally if the decision is made to redraw district lines to reduce the county Board of Commissioners, which is under consideration.

County Clerk Michael J. Carr said the Reapportionment Commission will study the breakdowns “almost block by block” to redraw the lines.

“We’ll do everything we can to make sure the black population is adequately represented on the board,” he said.

The Hispanic Community & Technology Center in Flint uses data on Hispanic origin to identify areas in need of services. The center has definitely noticed a growing need from people seeking translations or help with interpretation, said Carlos Cisneros, a member of the center’s executive board.

The fact that the Hispanic population is growing in every part of the county isn’t surprising, he said.

“People are moving around and they’re spreading their wings,” he said. “They’re getting more acclimated. They can move to the Fenton areas or the Lapeer areas and still meet their needs.”

The local Hispanic population is probably even larger than the census numbers show, mainly because undocumented Spanish-speaking people likely don’t want to draw attention to themselves, said Paul O’Donnell, professor of foreign languages at the University of Michigan-Flint.

O’Donnell sees the increased numbers as a “huge resource that is going untapped.”

“They’re very careful at keeping quiet,” said O’Donnell, who studies Hispanic population shifts in Michigan. “No has numbers on these things unless you see things personally. It’s a totally invisible population.”

Journal staff writer Beata Mostafavi contributed to this report.
Post Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:28 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: Investors dumping area homes on E bay

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

I enlarged the map of the homes and while they range from Burton to Beecher, the greatest concentration is along M L KIng and from Sloan to Edwards. The company is Payne Investments.

Package of 58 Flint houses for sale on eBay
Published: Thursday, January 06, 2011, 7:00 AM

Joseph Tobianski l The Flint Journal
The house at 161 E. Eldridge Ave. in Flint is one of 58 houses for sale on eBay.
FLINT, Michigan — Looking for a house in Flint? How about 58 of them?

Anyone with an Internet connection could snatch them all for a cool $92,800.

An Illinois-based investment company is trying unload dozens of houses in a package deal on eBay for more than three times what it paid for them at a Michigan public land auction.

But buyers beware: The houses could be in poor condition, and at least a few of the previous owners likely abandoned them knowing the houses were worth less than the taxes owed, local officials said.

It’s a scenario officials said is hard to avoid in today’s depressed housing market: An out-of-state speculator grabbing up homes for pennies on the dollar and then trying to flip them online for a quick profit to someone who may not be familiar with Flint real estate.

The situation is made even more unusual because buyers have to bid on a 58-house package, instead of individual properties, said Doug Weiland, executive director of the Genesee County Land Bank. The houses are scattered all over the city, with a few in Mt. Morris.

“These are people who could have no idea what they’re buying,” Weiland said of potential bidders. “It’s a very, very tough market. It’s a tough situation.”

The company, Payne Investments out of La Grange, Ill., purchased the tax-foreclosed properties individually at an auction for a total of $25,350 in November, according to auction records.

The company bought the houses for as little as $100 each, and none for more than $850 — much less than the $1,600 apiece that the eBay listing is selling them for.

Attempts to reach officials with Payne Investments were unsuccessful this week.

The November auction was held by the Genesee County treasurer’s office as required by state law, said county Treasurer Deborah Cherry. The county has to accept the highest bid no matter what, she said.

As of Wednesday afternoon, the eBay listing had one bid of $92,800.

The listing’s description makes it clear the houses are sold “as is” and the current conditions of the properties are unknown, but it also markets the homes as ideal rental properties.

The listing also reports the average home sale price in the Flint/Grand Blanc area as $229,933, which appears to be from a 2005 CNNmoney.com article.

“These homes have tremendous value as an investment,” the listing says.

Weiland said that’s “ridiculous.” He also said the houses’ combined value of $1,461,200 could be misleading to someone browsing the listing who has no knowledge of the Flint housing market, he said.

“It may look like it has $20,000 or $30,000 in value when it’s really a bombed out mess,” Weiland said.

Weiland said the market has changed drastically from just a few years ago.

The average home in Flint sold for $59,000 in 2005. Last year, the average sale price was just $15,000, he said.

The Genesee County Land Bank was created in 2004, in large part to prevent tax-foreclosed properties from ending up in the hands of speculators.

In this case, however, the investment company purchased the homes in person at the state auction, before the homes would have reverted to the Land Bank’s control.

Cherry said the county will watch the eBay auction to see what happens.

“If I were buying them, I would do as much due diligence as possible ... to see what kind of work they may need,” she said. “I hope they’re purchased by someone who’s going to use them in a positive way.”

But the statistics don’t look good.

Weiland said that of all the properties in previous years that have been sold at auction, one-third of them have come back to the county because of foreclosure for unpaid taxes one or more times.

“The problem is as long as people are able to buy these cheap at auction, they’re going to continue to sell them like this,” he said. “It continues to leave the community in flux.”

Comments
xrayspecs January 06, 2011 at 7:18AM
Follow

Good grief, every one of these houses is in Flint's north end armpit and I'll bet few if any are more than gutted shells.
I have no sympathy for anyone who buys Flint houses online, sight unseen, thinking they're getting a good deal. Not now that we have this internet thingie...a ten-minute search and google street view would provide a pretty good idea of what these houses are really worth.

jacobsmith January 06, 2011 at 7:22AM
Follow

If someone buys this they DESERVE IT. I have a fully functional, taxes up to date home in the city of Flint that I would sell for 2/3rds of what I owe any day of the week.

Harold Taco January 06, 2011 at 7:29AM
Follow

I used to support the Land Bank. Now I consider that the only difference between them and another slumlord is you can sue the slumlord, but it is much harder to sue the Land Bank.

Junky renters next door? Well the land bank is now the landlord so good luck suing them for anything.

greattakestate January 06, 2011 at 7:36AM
Follow

Maybe the Chinese will buy them! They seem to own everything else in America.

justicesearc January 06, 2011 at 7:37AM
Follow

"a few of the previous owners likely abandoned them knowing the houses were worth less than the taxes owed" - This statement says it all to me. Perhaps if the assessments were done ACCURATELY people would not walk away.

"The Genesee County Land Bank was created in 2004, in large part to prevent tax-foreclosed properties from ending up in the hands of speculators." - NO the statement of purpose from the land bank web site is "The Land Bank mission is to restore value to the community by acquiring, developing and selling vacant and abandoned properties" - this does not mean to buy, hold and wait for a friend to need a sweetheart deal - it does not mean to keep the properties and watch them fall apart - they are to SELL them.

asuccubus January 06, 2011 at 7:41AM
Follow

I wish someone would prohibit this type of sale (and purchase). I'm so sick of a basic necessity, housing, being treated like any other commodity. And it's absolutely disgusting that people like this profit from others' misery. The pox upon them.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:52 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Instr: 201012010080294 Vol/Page:
Rec: 12/1/2010 12:44:37 PM Type: QCD-TREAS Pages: 1 Vrfy: N
Grantor: COUNTY OF GENESEE TREASURER
Grantee: PAYNE INVESTMENTS LLC

Legal: Sub: CROSS ACRES Lt: 15 St: PASADENA AVE W 315 PrpId: 4001102015 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080293 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: CROSS ACRES Lt: 37 St: DEWEY ST W 409 PrpId: 4001104011 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080292 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: INDIAN VILLAGE NO 1 Lt: 655 St: BAKER ST W 409 PrpId: 4001160004 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080291 Vol/Page:

Legal: * Sub: STONE MACDONALD KAUF Lt: 3 St: JACKSON AVE W 113 PrpId: 4001178016 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080290 Vol/Page:

Legal: * Sub: STONE MACDONALD KAUF Lt: 107 St: BAKER STREET WEST 225 PrpId: 4001181003 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080289 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: HILLCRESTQ Lt: 371 St: JAMIESON ST E 434 PrpId: 4001230006 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080288 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: HILLCREST Lt: 407 St: JAMISON ST E 610 PrpId: 4001231016 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080287 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: HILLCREST Lt: 541 St: MCCLELLAN ST E 626 PrpId: 4001232012 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080286 Vol/Page:

Legal: * Sub: HILLCREST Lt: 625 St: DARTMOUTH ST E 125 PrpId: 4001253008 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080285 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: HILLCREST Lt: 641 St: DARTMOUTH ST E 214 PrpId: 4001253013 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080284 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: INDIAN VILLAGE NO 1 Lt: 353 St: WHITE ST 601 PrpId: 4001305008 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080283 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: INDIAN VILLAGE NO 1 Lt: 489 St: NEWALL ST W 605 PrpId: 4001307006 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080282 Vol/Page:
Rec: 12/1/2010 12:44:36 PM Type: QCD-TREAS Pages: 1 Vrfy: N

Legal: * Sub: STONE MACDONALD KAUF Lt: 137 St: JOSEPHINE ST 218 PrpId: 4001377024 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080281 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: INDIAN VILLAGE Lt: 134 St: STOCKDALE STREET 520 PrpId: 4001359023 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080280 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: STONE MACDONALD KAUF Lt: 108 St: JOSEPHINE ST 219 PrpId: 4001378006 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080279 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: STRONE MACDONALD ADD Lt: 105 St: ADAMS AVE 2234 PrpId: 4001411002 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080278 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: STONE MACDONALD ADDI Lt: 268 St: ADAMS AVE 2018 PrpId: 4001452005 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080277 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: PARK HEIGHTS ADDITIO Lt: 268 St: DELIA ST 401 PrpId: 4001476019 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080276 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: MODERN HOUSING CORPO Lt: 5 Bl: 85 St: CHEVROLET AVE N 1501 PrpId: 4011233030 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080275 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: HOMESITE SUBDIVISION Lt: 136 St: SLOAN ST 2645 PrpId: 4011327009 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080274 Vol/Page:

Legal: * Sub: MODERN HOUSING CORPO Lt: 1 Bl: 142 St: RASKOB STREET 2505 PrpId: 4011402002 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080273 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: CHEVROLET SUBDIVISIO Lt: 616 St: LARCHMONT ST 3925 PrpId: 4022282003 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080272 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: CORUNNA HEIGHTS Lt: 233 St: STOCKER AVE 1314 PrpId: 4023109018 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080271 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: EASTLAWN ANNEX Lt: 162 St: DAKOTA AVE 2921 PrpId: 4104157015 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080270 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: HOMEDALE SUBDIVISION Lt: 229 St: DELAWARE AVENUE 1537 PrpId: 4105158023 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080269 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: HILLS MACPHERSON Lt: 110 St: LEITH ST 2411 PrpId: 4105276019 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080268 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: SOUTH PARK Lt: 110 St: WAYNE ST 1511 PrpId: 4117451018 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080267 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: PEER ADDITION Lt: 17 St: MONROE STREET 112 PrpId: 4119233009 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080266 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: PIPERS REPLAT Lt: 5 St: LINSEY BLVD W 209 PrpId: 4119255035 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080265 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: GREENLEE PLACE Lt: 10 St: LAKEVIEW W 134 PrpId: 4119433012 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080264 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: COLLINGWOOD Lt: 162 St: MADISON AVE 114 PrpId: 4119434007 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080263 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: FARNAMWOOD Lt: 49 St: RED ARROW RD 4318 PrpId: 4129104051 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080262 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: SHARP MANOR NO 1 Lt: 119 St: RIDGEWAY AVENUE WEST 613 PrpId: 4625355011 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080261 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: SHARP MANOR Lt: 3 St: PIERSON RD W 410 PrpId: 4625379017 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080260 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: PIERSON PARK Lt: 372 St: MOTT AVE W 322 PrpId: 4625452007 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080259 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: SHARP MANOR NO 1 Lt: 486 St: EDWARDS AVE 5709 PrpId: 4626429039 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080258 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: SHARP MANOR NO 1 Lt: 512 St: EDWARDS AVENUE 5710 PrpId: 4626429016 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080257 Vol/Page:

Legal: * Sub: FLINT PARK ALLOTMENT Lt: 916 St: BALTIMORE BLVD W 402 PrpId: 4636129030 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080256 Vol/Page:

Legal: * Sub: FLINT PARK ALLOTMENT Lt: 1101 St: BISHOP AVE W 601 PrpId: 4636152013 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080255 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: FLINT PARK ALLOTMENT Lt: 1054 St: FLINT PARK WEST 629 PrpId: 4636153004 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080254 Vol/Page:
Rec: 12/1/2010 12:44:35 PM Type: QCD-TREAS Pages: 1 Vrfy: N

Legal: * Sub: FLINT PARK ALLOTMENT Lt: 1048 St: FLINT PARK BLVD 604 PrpId: 4636153057 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080253 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: FLINT PARK ALLOTMENT Lt: 1052 St: FLINT PARK BLVD 621 PrpId: 4636153006 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080252 Vol/Page:

Legal: * Sub: BOULEVARD HEIGHTS Lt: 14 Bl: 6 St: PULASKI ST E 229 PrpId: 4636201041 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080251 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: FLINT PARK ALLOTMENT Lt: 613 St: ELDRIDGE AVE W 201 PrpId: 4636179025 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080250 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: FLINT PARK ALLOTMENT Lt: 719 St: FLINT PARK BLVD W 310 PrpId: 4636177046 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080249 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: FLINT PARK ALLOTMENT Lt: 764 St: BISHOP AVE W 429 PrpId: 4636177001 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080248 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: BOULEVARD HEIGHTS Lt: 9 Bl: 6 St: PULASKI STREET EAST 317 PrpId: 4636201047 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080247 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: BOULEVARD HEIGHTS Lt: 42 Bl: 4 St: PULASKI ST E 362 PrpId: 4636227003 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080246 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: BOULEVARD HEIGHTS Lt: 14 Bl: 8 St: PHILADELPHIA BLVD 217 PrpId: 4636203049 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080245 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: FLINT PARK ALLOTMENT Lt: 219 St: FLINT PARK E 417 PrpId: 4636276028 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080244 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: FLINT PARK ALLOTMENT Lt: 425 St: ELDRIDGE AVE 161 PrpId: 4636253035 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080243 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: FLINT PARK ALLOTMENT Lt: 482 St: BISHOP AVE E 138 PrpId: 4636251010 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080242 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: BOULEVARD HEIGHTS Lt: 33 Bl: 1 St: BALTIMORE BLVD EAST 368 PrpId: 4636230005 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080241 Vol/Page:

Legal: St: HENRY ST 2955 PrpId: 4733335031 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080240 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: GRAHAM RUSSELL ADDIT Lt: 67 St: BEACH ST 638 PrpId: 5712529060 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080164 Vol/Page:
Rec: 12/1/2010 10:44:26 AM Type: QCD-TREAS Pages: 1 Vrfy: N

Legal: Sub: MENDEL BERGER SUB NO Lt: 141 St: MENDEL BERGER 5444 PrpId: 1423503021 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080163 Vol/Page:

Legal: St: MENDEL BERGER 5492 PrpId: 1423501007 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080162 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: ARLINGTON MANOR NO 7 Lt: 486 St: FLOWERDAY DR 6118 PrpId: 1413580061 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080161 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: ARLINGTON MANOR NO 1 Lt: 148 St: NATCHEZ DR 6112 PrpId: 1413551124 Marginal:

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:57 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

The November auction was held by the Genesee County treasurer’s office as required by state law, said county Treasurer Deborah Cherry. The county has to accept the highest bid no matter what, she said.

In 2009 the houses to be auctioned were in the Civic Park historic area and all needed to be torn down. Wonder if the auction mentioned the status of the homes.

Were all reverted properties on the auction block. Sometimes the Treasurer clusters homes for a high bid package.

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:05 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

This is the first house i looked at on the City of Flint website. It is posted (condemned) and has taxes owing.

40-01-307-006
Address:
605 W NEWALL ST

Posted

Owner:
PAYNE INVESTMENTS, LLC

PO BOX 551

LA GRANGE, IL 60525
Classification:
Residential Improved
Zoning District:
A-2
Lot Size:
Front: 50 Depth: 85

Current Year (2010)
Previous Year (2009)

State Equalized Value
7500 16300
Taxable Value
7500 16300
Homestead%
0 0
2010 Taxes

Summer Taxes
Winter Taxes

Original Tax
$414.48 $80.74
Penalty
$13.80 $0.00
Water Lien
$505.22
Special
$0.00 $0.00
Paid To Date
$0.00 $0.00
Balance Due
$933.50 $80.74

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:17 am

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Does anyone have the Ebay auction number? I'd like to follow the bidding, if any.

FOUND IT
http://cgi.ebay.com/58-HOUSE-PACKAGE-FLINT-MICHIGAN-NO-RESERVE-/150543187374?pt=Residential&hash=item230d12bdae

The description is hilarious!

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:08 am

00SL2
F L I N T O I D

"The November auction was held by the Genesee County treasurer’s office as required by state law, said county Treasurer Deborah Cherry. The county has to accept the highest bid no matter what, she said."
Source: http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2011/01/package_of_58_flint_houses_for.html
------------

I'd like to know what law says the county has to accept the highest bid. That's asinine. If there's fraud involved on the part of the buyer where does that leave the county?

I checked the first 18 Flint properties listed on ebay. Of those, 6 are listed POSTED, some have water liens. The ebay site shows "assessed value" at twice the amount of the State Equalized Value; thus, the "assessed value" published on ebay is only the supposed true "market value." Fraud, anyone?

Check on the ebay seller:

LLC MEMBERS
Entity Name PAYNE INVESTMENTS LLC File Number 03377512
Name Address
PAYNE, KYLE 405 S. MADISON, LA GRANGE, IL - 60525

Source: http://www.ilsos.gov/corporatellc/CorporateLlcController?command=mms&fileNbr=03377512&type=MBR
Accessed: January 6, 2011

LLC FILE DETAIL REPORT
Status ACTIVE On 09/10/2010
Entity Type LLC Type of LLC Domestic
File Date 09/10/2010 Jurisdiction IL
Agent Name UNITED STATES CORP AGENTS INC Agent Change Date 11/12/2010
Agent Street Address 6049 DEMPSTER ST Principal Office 405 S. MADISON
LA GRANGE, IL 605250000
Agent City MORTON GROVE Management Type MBR View
Agent Zip 60053 Duration PERPETUAL
Annual Report Filing Date 00/00/0000 For Year
Series Name NOT AUTHORIZED TO ESTABLISH SERIES

Source: http://www.ilsos.gov/corporatellc/CorporateLlcController

CORPORATION/LLC SEARCH RESULTS

Search Criteria: PAYNE INVESTMENTS

Entity Type File Number Corporation/LLC Name
CORP MST 63961655 PAYNE INVESTMENTS/CREATIVE DYNAMICS INC.
LLC MST 03377512 PAYNE INVESTMENTS LLC
CORP MST 63156299 PAYNE INVESTMENTS LTD.

http://www.ilsos.gov/corporatellc/CorporateLlcController

CORPORATION FILE DETAIL REPORT
Entity Name PAYNE INVESTMENTS/CREATIVE DYNAMICS INC. File Number 63961655
Status DISSOLVED
Entity Type CORPORATION Type of Corp DOMESTIC BCA
Incorporation Date (Domestic) 12/15/2004 State ILLINOIS
Agent Name CORPORATE FILING SOLUTIONS Agent Change Date 12/15/2004
Agent Street Address 1415 W 22ND ST TOWER FL President Name & Address
Agent City OAKBROOK Secretary Name & Address INVOLUNTARY DISSOLUTION 05 01 06
Agent Zip 60523 Duration Date PERPETUAL
Annual Report Filing Date 00/00/0000 For Year 2005

Entity Name PAYNE INVESTMENTS LTD. File Number 63156299
Status DISSOLVED
Incorporation Date (Domestic) 10/23/2003 State ILLINOIS
Agent Name CURTIS PAYNE Agent Change Date 10/23/2003
Agent Street Address 3750 GREEN ST APT 7 President Name & Address
Agent City STEGER Secretary Name & Address INVOLUNTARY DISSOLUTION 03 01 05
Agent Zip 60475 Duration Date PERPETUAL
Annual Report Filing Date 00/00/0000 For Year 2004

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:19 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Excellent research. Obviously the Treasurer's Office doe not have to determine if the purchaser is a legitimate entity.

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:22 pm

00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Federal authorities should put an immediate stop to foreign entities trying to peddle condemned properties POSTED for demolition! City offices, County Treasurer and Register of Deeds offices should have condemned and to-be-demolished properties red-flagged for NO SALE!!

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:27 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

The Treasurers office and Land Bank have conflicting rules. If I bought a Land bank home, I would have to pay a significant amount of money to cover the "fair market value". Often a home that is in really bad shape will be offered for more than anyone would be willing to pay.

Can't the Treasurer's office require these out of town speculators to at least pay the back taxes. When these taxes are not paid, the tax burden falls back on the city and the payment (albeit a low one) goes to the Treasurer. The community in which the property is located appears to be getting screwed.

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:47 am

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Bidding has been ended, no reason given.

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:31 am

theboyzmom
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
The Treasurers office and Land Bank have conflicting rules. If I bought a Land bank home, I would have to pay a significant amount of money to cover the "fair market value". Often a home that is in really bad shape will be offered for more than anyone would be willing to pay.

Can't the Treasurer's office require these out of town speculators to at least pay the back taxes. When these taxes are not paid, the tax burden falls back on the city and the payment (albeit a low one) goes to the Treasurer. The community in which the property is located appears to be getting screwed.

The problem is that when the county takes posession of the homes, all back taxes are eliminated.

I personally would NEVER buy another property from either the land bank or at the auction. Once being screwed by the county deciding to take a property back MONTHS after it was sold and after I fixed it up was enough for me. Would not have been so bad if the county had offered to pay me for the work we did - but no - the former owner got the property back in better shape than it was when he decided to let the taxes slide.

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:41 am

theboyzmom
F L I N T O I D

I am confused that NO ONE brought up the fact that the COUNTY has them assessed at so much money when they are tagged for demolition. How could the county, in good faith, charge the former owners huge tax rates? Why did the assessors not lower the assessments before the county took them if they were really in such bad condition. remember the law is that the property should be assessed at the CURRENT MARKET VALUE. If the house is to be demolished how can it have a value of $10 or $20 thousand dollars - I know empty lots in the city do not go for that. This is the same problem that led to the Genesee Towers debacle. When will the people of this county stand up and MAKE the assessors do their jobs?

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:47 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

It is the Flint assessment office that sets the value for the homes in Flint. They only assess them every few years in area by area.

Although a home is posted, it can be taken off the demolition list if the items on the list from the building inspector iare repaired with proper permits. Some non profits have purchased severely damaged homes and repaired them.

Land bank homes in Carriage Town were gutted down to the frame and rebuilt. Kildee called them "habbs" because there was so little left to rehab.

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:57 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

A recent article stated average selling price for homes in Flint around $16,000 Land Bank wants more than that for some city lots.

40-01-101-006 609 W PASADENA AVE FLINT 48505 $31,700 Res Imp
40-01-101-020 522 W DEWEY ST FLINT 48505 $15,100 Res Imp
40-01-102-033 3307 MASON ST FLINT 48505 $24,300 Res Imp 40-01-103-019 530 W JAMIESON ST FLINT 48505 $44,200 Res Imp 40-01-104-003 IROQUOIS AVE FLINT 48505 $400 Res Vac Lot
40-01-104-027 324 W JAMIESON ST FLINT 48505 $12,100 Res Imp
40-01-104-031 3217 MASON ST FLINT 48505 $33,400 Res Imp
40-01-104-037 402 W JAMIESON ST FLINT 48505 $35,400 Res Imp
40-01-105-024 611 W JAMIESON ST FLINT 48505 $52,300 Res Imp 40-01-106-002 3114 IROQUOIS AVE FLINT 48505 $26,200 Res Imp
40-01-106-030 0 MASON ST FLINT 48505 $800 Res Vac Lot
40-01-126-004 217 W PASADENA AVE FLINT 48505 $400 Res Vac Lot
40-01-126-016 228 W DEWEY ST FLINT 48505 $800 Res Vac Lot
40-01-127-019 220 W JAMIESON ST FLINT 48505 $3,800 Res Imp
40-01-127-020 216 W JAMIESON ST FLINT 48505 $49,100 Res Imp
40-01-128-009 133 W JAMIESON ST FLINT 48505 to be determined Res Vac Lot
40-01-128-032 3117 M L KING AVE FLINT 48505 $27,100 Res Imp
40-01-129-004 221 W MC CLELLAN ST FLINT 48505 $36,300 Res Imp
40-01-129-019 220 W GENESEE ST FLINT 48505 $800 Res Vac Lot
40-01-129-029 W GENESEE ST FLINT 48505 $800 Res Vac Lot
40-01-129-031 W GENESEE ST FLINT 48505 $800 Res Vac Lot
40-01-129-036 3001 M L KING AVE FLINT 48505 $50,000 Res Imp 40-01-151-012 606 W TAYLOR ST FLINT 48505 $200 Res Vac Lot
< previous page page 32 of 214 (listings 776-800) next page >

© 2004 Genesee County Land Bank – All rights reserved.
This site powered by Community Center™ software from Land Information Access Association

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:03 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

This house is still in the Treasurers name. Treasurer wants $49,100. House sold for $10,000 on a conventional mortgage in 1996 and $67,000 in 2004. Check out the City of Flint assessed value which is less than $10,000.

I checked the taxes for this block and only one resident has paid this years taxes. Two were Treasurer owned and one MSHDA owned. One was owned by someone out of the country. Not a block many would be interested in buying into as it is in the middle of the journal's murder row.

Parcel #:
40-01-127-020
Address:
216 W JAMIESON ST

Owner:
GENESEE COUNTY TREASURER

1101 BEACH ST

FLINT, MI 48502
Classification:
Residential Improved
Zoning District:
A-2
Lot Size:
Front: 50 Depth: 110

Current Year (2010)
Previous Year (2009)

State Equalized Value
4500 5000
Taxable Value
4500 5000
Homestead%
0 0

2010 Taxes

Summer Taxes
Winter Taxes

Original Tax
$248.68 $48.44
Penalty
$3.72 $0.00
Water Lien
$0.00
Special
$0.00 $0.00
Paid To Date
$0.00 $0.00
Balance Due
$252.40 $48.44

EFFECTIVE MARCH 2, 2010 ALL REAL PROPERTY TAXES FOR 2009 AND PRIOR YEARS ARE PAYABLE AT THE GENESEE COUNTY TREASURER'S OFFICE, 1101 BEACH STREET
Search Genesee County Delinquent Tax Information

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Style: TWO STORY
Year Built: 1937

square Footage: 1790

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Last Updated: 1/8/2011

City of Flint
© 1/9/2011

Best Viewed with IE 7.0 or Firefox

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:13 am
Post Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:37 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: Investors dumping area homes on E bay
page 2

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

I enlarged the map of the homes and while they range from Burton to Beecher, the greatest concentration is along M L KIng and from Sloan to Edwards. The company is Payne Investments.

Package of 58 Flint houses for sale on eBay
Published: Thursday, January 06, 2011, 7:00 AM

Joseph Tobianski l The Flint Journal
The house at 161 E. Eldridge Ave. in Flint is one of 58 houses for sale on eBay.
FLINT, Michigan — Looking for a house in Flint? How about 58 of them?

Anyone with an Internet connection could snatch them all for a cool $92,800.

An Illinois-based investment company is trying unload dozens of houses in a package deal on eBay for more than three times what it paid for them at a Michigan public land auction.

But buyers beware: The houses could be in poor condition, and at least a few of the previous owners likely abandoned them knowing the houses were worth less than the taxes owed, local officials said.

It’s a scenario officials said is hard to avoid in today’s depressed housing market: An out-of-state speculator grabbing up homes for pennies on the dollar and then trying to flip them online for a quick profit to someone who may not be familiar with Flint real estate.

The situation is made even more unusual because buyers have to bid on a 58-house package, instead of individual properties, said Doug Weiland, executive director of the Genesee County Land Bank. The houses are scattered all over the city, with a few in Mt. Morris.

“These are people who could have no idea what they’re buying,” Weiland said of potential bidders. “It’s a very, very tough market. It’s a tough situation.”

The company, Payne Investments out of La Grange, Ill., purchased the tax-foreclosed properties individually at an auction for a total of $25,350 in November, according to auction records.

The company bought the houses for as little as $100 each, and none for more than $850 — much less than the $1,600 apiece that the eBay listing is selling them for.

Attempts to reach officials with Payne Investments were unsuccessful this week.

As of Wednesday afternoon, the eBay listing had one bid of $92,800.

The listing’s description makes it clear the houses are sold “as is” and the current conditions of the properties are unknown, but it also markets the homes as ideal rental properties.

The listing also reports the average home sale price in the Flint/Grand Blanc area as $229,933, which appears to be from a 2005 CNNmoney.com article.

“These homes have tremendous value as an investment,” the listing says.

Weiland said that’s “ridiculous.” He also said the houses’ combined value of $1,461,200 could be misleading to someone browsing the listing who has no knowledge of the Flint housing market, he said.

“It may look like it has $20,000 or $30,000 in value when it’s really a bombed out mess,” Weiland said.

Weiland said the market has changed drastically from just a few years ago.

The average home in Flint sold for $59,000 in 2005. Last year, the average sale price was just $15,000, he said.

The Genesee County Land Bank was created in 2004, in large part to prevent tax-foreclosed properties from ending up in the hands of speculators.

In this case, however, the investment company purchased the homes in person at the state auction, before the homes would have reverted to the Land Bank’s control.

Cherry said the county will watch the eBay auction to see what happens.

“If I were buying them, I would do as much due diligence as possible ... to see what kind of work they may need,” she said. “I hope they’re purchased by someone who’s going to use them in a positive way.”

But the statistics don’t look good.

Weiland said that of all the properties in previous years that have been sold at auction, one-third of them have come back to the county because of foreclosure for unpaid taxes one or more times.

“The problem is as long as people are able to buy these cheap at auction, they’re going to continue to sell them like this,” he said. “It continues to leave the community in flux.”

Comments
xrayspecs January 06, 2011 at 7:18AM
Follow

Good grief, every one of these houses is in Flint's north end armpit and I'll bet few if any are more than gutted shells.
I have no sympathy for anyone who buys Flint houses online, sight unseen, thinking they're getting a good deal. Not now that we have this internet thingie...a ten-minute search and google street view would provide a pretty good idea of what these houses are really worth.

jacobsmith January 06, 2011 at 7:22AM
Follow

If someone buys this they DESERVE IT. I have a fully functional, taxes up to date home in the city of Flint that I would sell for 2/3rds of what I owe any day of the week.

Harold Taco January 06, 2011 at 7:29AM
Follow

I used to support the Land Bank. Now I consider that the only difference between them and another slumlord is you can sue the slumlord, but it is much harder to sue the Land Bank.

Junky renters next door? Well the land bank is now the landlord so good luck suing them for anything.

greattakestate January 06, 2011 at 7:36AM
Follow

Maybe the Chinese will buy them! They seem to own everything else in America.

justicesearc January 06, 2011 at 7:37AM
Follow

"a few of the previous owners likely abandoned them knowing the houses were worth less than the taxes owed" - This statement says it all to me. Perhaps if the assessments were done ACCURATELY people would not walk away.

"The Genesee County Land Bank was created in 2004, in large part to prevent tax-foreclosed properties from ending up in the hands of speculators." - NO the statement of purpose from the land bank web site is "The Land Bank mission is to restore value to the community by acquiring, developing and selling vacant and abandoned properties" - this does not mean to buy, hold and wait for a friend to need a sweetheart deal - it does not mean to keep the properties and watch them fall apart - they are to SELL them.

asuccubus January 06, 2011 at 7:41AM
Follow

I wish someone would prohibit this type of sale (and purchase). I'm so sick of a basic necessity, housing, being treated like any other commodity. And it's absolutely disgusting that people like this profit from others' misery. The pox upon them.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:52 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Instr: 201012010080294 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: CROSS ACRES Lt: 15 St: PASADENA AVE W 315 PrpId: 4001102015 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080293 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: CROSS ACRES Lt: 37 St: DEWEY ST W 409 PrpId: 4001104011 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080292 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: INDIAN VILLAGE NO 1 Lt: 655 St: BAKER ST W 409 PrpId: 4001160004 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080291 Vol/Page:

Legal: * Sub: STONE MACDONALD KAUF Lt: 3 St: JACKSON AVE W 113 PrpId: 4001178016 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080290 Vol/Page:

Legal: * Sub: STONE MACDONALD KAUF Lt: 107 St: BAKER STREET WEST 225 PrpId: 4001181003 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080289 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: HILLCRESTQ Lt: 371 St: JAMIESON ST E 434 PrpId: 4001230006 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080288 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: HILLCREST Lt: 407 St: JAMISON ST E 610 PrpId: 4001231016 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080287 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: HILLCREST Lt: 541 St: MCCLELLAN ST E 626 PrpId: 4001232012 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080286 Vol/Page:

Legal: * Sub: HILLCREST Lt: 625 St: DARTMOUTH ST E 125 PrpId: 4001253008 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080285 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: HILLCREST Lt: 641 St: DARTMOUTH ST E 214 PrpId: 4001253013 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080284 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: INDIAN VILLAGE NO 1 Lt: 353 St: WHITE ST 601 PrpId: 4001305008 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080283 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: INDIAN VILLAGE NO 1 Lt: 489 St: NEWALL ST W 605 PrpId: 4001307006 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080282 Vol/Page:

Legal: * Sub: STONE MACDONALD KAUF Lt: 137 St: JOSEPHINE ST 218 PrpId: 4001377024 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080281 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: INDIAN VILLAGE Lt: 134 St: STOCKDALE STREET 520 PrpId: 4001359023 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080280 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: STONE MACDONALD KAUF Lt: 108 St: JOSEPHINE ST 219 PrpId: 4001378006 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080279 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: STRONE MACDONALD ADD Lt: 105 St: ADAMS AVE 2234 PrpId: 4001411002 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080278 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: STONE MACDONALD ADDI Lt: 268 St: ADAMS AVE 2018 PrpId: 4001452005 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080277 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: PARK HEIGHTS ADDITIO Lt: 268 St: DELIA ST 401 PrpId: 4001476019 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080276 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: MODERN HOUSING CORPO Lt: 5 Bl: 85 St: CHEVROLET AVE N 1501 PrpId: 4011233030 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080275 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: HOMESITE SUBDIVISION Lt: 136 St: SLOAN ST 2645 PrpId: 4011327009 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080274 Vol/Page:

Legal: * Sub: MODERN HOUSING CORPO Lt: 1 Bl: 142 St: RASKOB STREET 2505 PrpId: 4011402002 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080273 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: CHEVROLET SUBDIVISIO Lt: 616 St: LARCHMONT ST 3925 PrpId: 4022282003 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080272 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: CORUNNA HEIGHTS Lt: 233 St: STOCKER AVE 1314 PrpId: 4023109018 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080271 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: EASTLAWN ANNEX Lt: 162 St: DAKOTA AVE 2921 PrpId: 4104157015 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080270 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: HOMEDALE SUBDIVISION Lt: 229 St: DELAWARE AVENUE 1537 PrpId: 4105158023 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080269 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: HILLS MACPHERSON Lt: 110 St: LEITH ST 2411 PrpId: 4105276019 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080268 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: SOUTH PARK Lt: 110 St: WAYNE ST 1511 PrpId: 4117451018 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080267 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: PEER ADDITION Lt: 17 St: MONROE STREET 112 PrpId: 4119233009 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080266 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: PIPERS REPLAT Lt: 5 St: LINSEY BLVD W 209 PrpId: 4119255035 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080265 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: GREENLEE PLACE Lt: 10 St: LAKEVIEW W 134 PrpId: 4119433012 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080264 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: COLLINGWOOD Lt: 162 St: MADISON AVE 114 PrpId: 4119434007 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080263 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: FARNAMWOOD Lt: 49 St: RED ARROW RD 4318 PrpId: 4129104051 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080262 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: SHARP MANOR NO 1 Lt: 119 St: RIDGEWAY AVENUE WEST 613 PrpId: 4625355011 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080261 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: SHARP MANOR Lt: 3 St: PIERSON RD W 410 PrpId: 4625379017 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080260 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: PIERSON PARK Lt: 372 St: MOTT AVE W 322 PrpId: 4625452007 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080259 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: SHARP MANOR NO 1 Lt: 486 St: EDWARDS AVE 5709 PrpId: 4626429039 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080258 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: SHARP MANOR NO 1 Lt: 512 St: EDWARDS AVENUE 5710 PrpId: 4626429016 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080257 Vol/Page:

Legal: * Sub: FLINT PARK ALLOTMENT Lt: 916 St: BALTIMORE BLVD W 402 PrpId: 4636129030 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080256 Vol/Page:

Legal: * Sub: FLINT PARK ALLOTMENT Lt: 1101 St: BISHOP AVE W 601 PrpId: 4636152013 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080255 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: FLINT PARK ALLOTMENT Lt: 1054 St: FLINT PARK WEST 629 PrpId: 4636153004 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080254 Vol/Page:

Legal: * Sub: FLINT PARK ALLOTMENT Lt: 1048 St: FLINT PARK BLVD 604 PrpId: 4636153057 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080253 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: FLINT PARK ALLOTMENT Lt: 1052 St: FLINT PARK BLVD 621 PrpId: 4636153006 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080252 Vol/Page:

Legal: * Sub: BOULEVARD HEIGHTS Lt: 14 Bl: 6 St: PULASKI ST E 229 PrpId: 4636201041 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080251 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: FLINT PARK ALLOTMENT Lt: 613 St: ELDRIDGE AVE W 201 PrpId: 4636179025 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080250 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: FLINT PARK ALLOTMENT Lt: 719 St: FLINT PARK BLVD W 310 PrpId: 4636177046 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080249 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: FLINT PARK ALLOTMENT Lt: 764 St: BISHOP AVE W 429 PrpId: 4636177001 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080248 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: BOULEVARD HEIGHTS Lt: 9 Bl: 6 St: PULASKI STREET EAST 317 PrpId: 4636201047 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080247 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: BOULEVARD HEIGHTS Lt: 42 Bl: 4 St: PULASKI ST E 362 PrpId: 4636227003 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080246 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: BOULEVARD HEIGHTS Lt: 14 Bl: 8 St: PHILADELPHIA BLVD 217 PrpId: 4636203049 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080245 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: FLINT PARK ALLOTMENT Lt: 219 St: FLINT PARK E 417 PrpId: 4636276028 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080244 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: FLINT PARK ALLOTMENT Lt: 425 St: ELDRIDGE AVE 161 PrpId: 4636253035 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080243 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: FLINT PARK ALLOTMENT Lt: 482 St: BISHOP AVE E 138 PrpId: 4636251010 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080242 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: BOULEVARD HEIGHTS Lt: 33 Bl: 1 St: BALTIMORE BLVD EAST 368 PrpId: 4636230005 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080241 Vol/Page:

Legal: St: HENRY ST 2955 PrpId: 4733335031 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080240 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: GRAHAM RUSSELL ADDIT Lt: 67 St: BEACH ST 638 PrpId: 5712529060 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080164 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: MENDEL BERGER SUB NO Lt: 141 St: MENDEL BERGER 5444 PrpId: 1423503021 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080163 Vol/Page:

Legal: St: MENDEL BERGER 5492 PrpId: 1423501007 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080162 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: ARLINGTON MANOR NO 7 Lt: 486 St: FLOWERDAY DR 6118 PrpId: 1413580061 Marginal:

Instr: 201012010080161 Vol/Page:

Legal: Sub: ARLINGTON MANOR NO 1 Lt: 148 St: NATCHEZ DR 6112 PrpId: 1413551124 Marginal:

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:57 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

In 2009 the houses to be auctioned were in the Civic Park historic area and all needed to be torn down. Wonder if the auction mentioned the status of the homes.

Were all reverted properties on the auction block. Sometimes the Treasurer clusters homes for a high bid package.

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:05 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

This is the first house i looked at on the City of Flint website. It is posted (condemned) and has taxes owing.

40-01-307-006
Address:
605 W NEWALL ST

Posted

Owner:
PAYNE INVESTMENTS, LLC

PO BOX 551

LA GRANGE, IL 60525
Classification:
Residential Improved
Zoning District:
A-2
Lot Size:
Front: 50 Depth: 85

Current Year (2010)
Previous Year (2009)

State Equalized Value
7500 16300
Taxable Value
7500 16300
Homestead%
0 0
2010 Taxes

Summer Taxes
Winter Taxes

Original Tax
$414.48 $80.74
Penalty
$13.80 $0.00
Water Lien
$505.22
Special
$0.00 $0.00
Paid To Date
$0.00 $0.00
Balance Due
$933.50 $80.74

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:17 am

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Does anyone have the Ebay auction number? I'd like to follow the bidding, if any.

FOUND IT
http://cgi.ebay.com/58-HOUSE-PACKAGE-FLINT-MICHIGAN-NO-RESERVE-/150543187374?pt=Residential&hash=item230d12bdae

The description is hilarious!

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:08 am

00SL2
F L I N T O I D

"The November auction was held by the Genesee County treasurer’s office as required by state law, said county Treasurer Deborah Cherry. The county has to accept the highest bid no matter what, she said."
Source: http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2011/01/package_of_58_flint_houses_for.html
------------

I'd like to know what law says the county has to accept the highest bid. That's asinine. If there's fraud involved on the part of the buyer where does that leave the county?

I checked the first 18 Flint properties listed on ebay. Of those, 6 are listed POSTED, some have water liens. The ebay site shows "assessed value" at twice the amount of the State Equalized Value; thus, the "assessed value" published on ebay is only the supposed true "market value." Fraud, anyone?

Check on the ebay seller:

LLC MEMBERS
Name Address
PAYNE, KYLE 405 S. MADISON, LA GRANGE, IL - 60525

Source: http://www.ilsos.gov/corporatellc/CorporateLlcController?command=mms&fileNbr=03377512&type=MBR

LLC FILE DETAIL REPORT
Status ACTIVE On 09/10/2010
Entity Type LLC Type of LLC Domestic
File Date 09/10/2010 Jurisdiction IL
Agent Name UNITED STATES CORP AGENTS INC Agent Change Date 11/12/2010
Agent Street Address 6049 DEMPSTER ST Principal Office 405 S. MADISON
LA GRANGE, IL 605250000
Agent City MORTON GROVE Management Type MBR View
Agent Zip 60053 Duration PERPETUAL
Annual Report Filing Date 00/00/0000 For Year
Series Name NOT AUTHORIZED TO ESTABLISH SERIES

Source: http://www.ilsos.gov/corporatellc/CorporateLlcController

CORPORATION/LLC SEARCH RESULTS

Search Criteria: PAYNE INVESTMENTS

Entity Type File Number Corporation/LLC Name
CORP MST 63961655 PAYNE INVESTMENTS/CREATIVE DYNAMICS INC.
LLC MST 03377512 PAYNE INVESTMENTS LLC
CORP MST 63156299 PAYNE INVESTMENTS LTD.

http://www.ilsos.gov/corporatellc/CorporateLlcController

Entity Name PAYNE INVESTMENTS/CREATIVE DYNAMICS INC. File Number 63961655
Status DISSOLVED
Incorporation Date (Domestic) 12/15/2004 State ILLINOIS
Agent Name CORPORATE FILING SOLUTIONS Agent Change Date 12/15/2004
Agent Street Address 1415 W 22ND ST TOWER FL President Name & Address
Agent City OAKBROOK Secretary Name & Address INVOLUNTARY DISSOLUTION 05 01 06
Agent Zip 60523 Duration Date PERPETUAL
Annual Report Filing Date 00/00/0000 For Year 2005

Entity Name PAYNE INVESTMENTS LTD. File Number 63156299
Status DISSOLVED
Incorporation Date (Domestic) 10/23/2003 State ILLINOIS
Agent Name CURTIS PAYNE Agent Change Date 10/23/2003
Agent Street Address 3750 GREEN ST APT 7 President Name & Address
Agent City STEGER Secretary Name & Address INVOLUNTARY DISSOLUTION 03 01 05
Agent Zip 60475 Duration Date PERPETUAL
Annual Report Filing Date 00/00/0000 For Year 2004

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:19 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Excellent research. Obviously the Treasurer's Office doe not have to determine if the purchaser is a legitimate entity.

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:22 pm

00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Federal authorities should put an immediate stop to foreign entities trying to peddle condemned properties POSTED for demolition! City offices, County Treasurer and Register of Deeds offices should have condemned and to-be-demolished properties red-flagged for NO SALE!!

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:27 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:47 am

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Bidding has been ended, no reason given.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:31 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Reply with quote

theboyzmom
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:

The problem is that when the county takes posession of the homes, all back taxes are eliminated.

I personally would NEVER buy another property from either the land bank or at the auction. Once being screwed by the county deciding to take a property back MONTHS after it was sold and after I fixed it up was enough for me. Would not have been so bad if the county had offered to pay me for the work we did - but no - the former owner got the property back in better shape than it was when he decided to let the taxes slide.

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:41 am

theboyzmom
F L I N T O I D

I am confused that NO ONE brought up the fact that the COUNTY has them assessed at so much money when they are tagged for demolition. How could the county, in good faith, charge the former owners huge tax rates? Why did the assessors not lower the assessments before the county took them if they were really in such bad condition. remember the law is that the property should be assessed at the CURRENT MARKET VALUE. If the house is to be demolished how can it have a value of $10 or $20 thousand dollars - I know empty lots in the city do not go for that. This is the same problem that led to the Genesee Towers debacle. When will the people of this county stand up and MAKE the assessors do their jobs?

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:47 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

It is the Flint assessment office that sets the value for the homes in Flint. They only assess them every few years in area by area.

Although a home is posted, it can be taken off the demolition list if the items on the list from the building inspector iare repaired with proper permits. Some non profits have purchased severely damaged homes and repaired them.

Land bank homes in Carriage Town were gutted down to the frame and rebuilt. Kildee called them "habbs" because there was so little left to rehab.

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:57 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

A recent article stated average selling price for homes in Flint around $16,000 Land Bank wants more than that for some city lots.

40-01-101-006 609 W PASADENA AVE FLINT 48505 $31,700 Res Imp
40-01-101-020 522 W DEWEY ST FLINT 48505 $15,100 Res Imp
40-01-102-033 3307 MASON ST FLINT 48505 $24,300 Res Imp 40-01-103-019 530 W JAMIESON ST FLINT 48505 $44,200 Res Imp 40-01-104-003 IROQUOIS AVE FLINT 48505 $400 Res Vac Lot
40-01-104-027 324 W JAMIESON ST FLINT 48505 $12,100 Res Imp
40-01-104-031 3217 MASON ST FLINT 48505 $33,400 Res Imp
40-01-104-037 402 W JAMIESON ST FLINT 48505 $35,400 Res Imp
40-01-105-024 611 W JAMIESON ST FLINT 48505 $52,300 Res Imp 40-01-106-002 3114 IROQUOIS AVE FLINT 48505 $26,200 Res Imp
40-01-106-030 0 MASON ST FLINT 48505 $800 Res Vac Lot
40-01-126-004 217 W PASADENA AVE FLINT 48505 $400 Res Vac Lot
40-01-126-016 228 W DEWEY ST FLINT 48505 $800 Res Vac Lot
40-01-127-019 220 W JAMIESON ST FLINT 48505 $3,800 Res Imp
40-01-127-020 216 W JAMIESON ST FLINT 48505 $49,100 Res Imp
40-01-128-009 133 W JAMIESON ST FLINT 48505 to be determined Res Vac Lot
40-01-128-032 3117 M L KING AVE FLINT 48505 $27,100 Res Imp
40-01-129-004 221 W MC CLELLAN ST FLINT 48505 $36,300 Res Imp
40-01-129-019 220 W GENESEE ST FLINT 48505 $800 Res Vac Lot
40-01-129-029 W GENESEE ST FLINT 48505 $800 Res Vac Lot
40-01-129-031 W GENESEE ST FLINT 48505 $800 Res Vac Lot
40-01-129-036 3001 M L KING AVE FLINT 48505 $50,000 Res Imp 40-01-151-012 606 W TAYLOR ST FLINT 48505 $200 Res Vac Lot
< previous page page 32 of 214 (listings 776-800) next page >

© 2004 Genesee County Land Bank – All rights reserved.
This site powered by Community Center™ software from Land Information Access Association

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:03 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

This house is still in the Treasurers name. Treasurer wants $49,100. House sold for $10,000 on a conventional mortgage in 1996 and $67,000 in 2004. Check out the City of Flint assessed value which is less than $10,000.

I checked the taxes for this block and only one resident has paid this years taxes. Two were Treasurer owned and one MSHDA owned. One was owned by someone out of the country. Not a block many would be interested in buying into as it is in the middle of the journal's murder row.

Parcel #:
40-01-127-020
Address:
216 W JAMIESON ST

Owner:
GENESEE COUNTY TREASURER

1101 BEACH ST

FLINT, MI 48502
Classification:
Residential Improved
Zoning District:
A-2
Lot Size:
Front: 50 Depth: 110

Current Year (2010)
Previous Year (2009)

State Equalized Value
4500 5000
Taxable Value
4500 5000
Homestead%
0 0

2010 Taxes

Summer Taxes
Winter Taxes

Original Tax
$248.68 $48.44
Penalty
$3.72 $0.00
Water Lien
$0.00
Special
$0.00 $0.00
Paid To Date
$0.00 $0.00
Balance Due
$252.40 $48.44

EFFECTIVE MARCH 2, 2010 ALL REAL PROPERTY TAXES FOR 2009 AND PRIOR YEARS ARE PAYABLE AT THE GENESEE COUNTY TREASURER'S OFFICE, 1101 BEACH STREET
Search Genesee County Delinquent Tax Information

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Style: TWO STORY
Year Built: 1937

square Footage: 1790

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Last Updated: 1/8/2011

City of Flint
© 1/9/2011

Best Viewed with IE 7.0 or Firefox

Post Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:13 am
Post Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:42 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: City of Flint hopes to avoid state takeover of finances by

00SL2
F L I N T O I D

City of Flint hopes to avoid state takeover of finances by borrowing $20M
Published: Monday, January 10, 2011, 10:28 PM Updated: Tuesday, January 11, 2011, 9:20 AM
Kristin Longley | Flint Journal By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal

FLINT, Michigan — The city of Flint is moving forward with a controversial plan to borrow $20 million to cover its debt — a move that could help avoid another emergency state takeover of the city’s finances, officials said.

Without the bond, members of Flint Mayor Dayne Walling’s administration said the city is in danger of not being able to cover its employee payroll come March 1, which would spark a state investigation into the city’s finances that could lead to an emergency financial manager.

The $20 million bond would allow the city to pay last year’s debt — as well as some newly projected current debt — over a longer period of time, up to 20 years, officials said.

The bond would cover last fiscal year’s $16.5 million deficit and estimated current debt of about $3.3 million. It can only be used to cover the debt and could not be used to rehire laid off employees, such as police, officials said.

After a lengthy discussion, the Flint City Council voted 6-2 tonight to ask the state’s permission to go to the bond market to take out the “fiscal stabilization bond.”

Voting against the proposal were Councilman Joshua Freeman and Council Vice President Dale Weighill, both of whom said the city needs to reform its spending habits before it borrows money to pay off debt.

Weighill also said he still has unanswered questions about the proposal, which wasn't officially brought to council until this evening and wasn't on the meeting agenda.

“If we can’t even fix our current deficit, how are we going to fix that problem next year?” said Freeman, chairman of the council’s finance committee. “I can’t vote to kick the can down the road.”

But others said the matter is too urgent to put off.

The last time Flint’s deficit topped $20 million was in 2002, when the state appointed an emergency financial manager to reduce the city’s $28 million debt.

City Administrator Gregory Eason said the city’s cash flow is so tight that “without fail” the city won’t be able to make payroll or pay vendors without getting some money in the next 60 days.

“I can assure you the state will be here,” he said. “We don’t want to put the city in this kind of jeopardy.”

Councilman Scott Kincaid said he voted for it because he doesn’t want the “city to shut down.” He’s worried, however, that the state won’t approve the bond because the city hasn’t gotten its spending under control.

“The state will take over (without the bond),” Kincaid said. “There’s no question.”

Now that the bond application has been approved by the council, the city will need to forward it to the state for its approval. Eason said he hopes that will happen over the next week.

Once the State Administrative Board has the application, it has seven days to approve or deny it.

The city will have to prove it has a plan in place to correct its long-term budget issues. Eason said the city is considering serious budget cuts as well as ways to increase revenue.

Walling also has proposed putting a property tax increase before voters.

Eason said the city hopes to have the money from the bond by Feb. 1.

“Time is really critical,” Eason said. “We’re faced with some serious cash flow problems.”

© 2011 MLive.com. All rights reserved.
--
Source: http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2011/01/city_of_flint_hopes_to_avoid_s.html

Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:25 pm

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

What they're really worried about is the loss of their paychecks, power & prestige.

Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:36 pm

00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Let's hope the state says no to the loan and takes over the finances of this city. The city must learn to live within its means just as the poor taxpayers do.

City of Flint to await state's decision on $20M bond proposal
Published: Wednesday, January 12, 2011, 3:37 PM Updated: Wednesday, January 12, 2011, 3:39 PM
Kristin Longley | Flint Journal By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal

FLINT, Michigan — The city of Flint is banking on a $20 million infusion of borrowed cash to avoid another state takeover — but will the state approve the loan?

The problem that could hold up approval is what some officials call the city’s structural deficit, its tendency to spend more money than it takes in each year.

This year is no different.

Auditors last week confirmed the city had a $16.6 million deficit last year. Now, even as it devises a plan to erase the old debt, the city is already projecting it will be about $3.3 million in the red this year.

Added to the uncertainty is the new governor and other newly elected state officials who sit on the State Administrative Board, which will consider the bond request. No one knows yet what their opinions are on “fiscal stabilization bonds” because they took office just this month.

“We’re very hopeful,” Flint Mayor Dayne Walling said at a news conference today.

After a lengthy discussion, the Flint City Council voted this week to move forward with a plan to ask the state’s permission to borrow $20 million to cover the deficits. Two council members, Joshua Freeman and Dale Weighill, voted against the move partly because of the city's current deficit.

“I have a concern they (the state) won’t approve it,” Councilman Scott Kincaid said. “We have a significant structural deficit.”

Without the bond, members of Walling’s administration said the city is in danger of not being able to cover its employee payroll come March 1 — a move that would spark a state investigation into the city’s finances, which could lead to another state takeover.

The city’s debt was about $28 million in 2002, when the state appointed emergency financial manager Ed Kurtz to take over the city’s finances. At the time, Kurtz used a similar type of bond, which the city finished paying off last year, to reduce the debt.

“We have a current cash flow problem,” Finance Director Michael Townsend said. “The urgency of this bond is to ensure we will continue operations over the next three to four months.”

But applications from cities seeking approval for a fiscal stabilization bond are rare, according to state records.

Since 2006, the state has only received two requests from cities wanting to issue the bonds, said Kurt Weiss, spokesman for the state’s department of technology, management and budget.

Only one of those was approved — $250 million for the city of Detroit. The other was from Benton Harbor.

Still, members of Walling’s administration are optimistic the state treasury department will look favorably on the city’s application.

“The state is fairly aware of where we are at,” Townsend said. “They are well aware of our projected deficit that we have.”

Once the state Administrative Board has the city’s application, it has seven days to issue a decision. City officials said they hope to send in the application this week.

State board members include the governor, lieutenant governor, secretary of state, attorney general and treasurer, who usually send delegates to the meetings, Weiss said.

If it’s approved, the city would then go to the bond market to issue the bonds.

According to information provided to city council members, the $20 million plus interest would be paid off over 25 years.

The payments, ranging from $515,000 to $1.3 million, would come from the capital improvement fund, which is for building projects and debt payments. Walling has said that would allow the city to avoid deeper cuts to the general operating fund, which pays for public safety and other services.

Even with the bond, future layoffs remain a possibility. The city also has to prove to the state it can stick to the long-term budget projections it submits with the application.

The projections rely on the premise that property tax revenue — which has steadily declined over recent years — will drop this year and next year, but then remain steady until 2015 when they predict revenues will begin rising again.

City Administrator Gregory Eason said future budget cuts could be necessary to make sure the city doesn’t continue to run up more debt. He didn’t specify what cuts could be made.

“We will cut and we will make whatever cuts are absolutely necessary to stay in line with this budget,” he said. “Nothing is sacred.”

---
Source: http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2011/01/city_of_flint_awaiting_states.html

Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
City Administrator Gregory Eason said future budget cuts could be necessary to make sure the city doesn’t continue to run up more debt. He didn’t specify what cuts could be made.

“We will cut and we will make whatever cuts are absolutely necessary to stay in line with this budget,” he said. “Nothing is sacred.”

---
Source: http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2011/01/city_of_flint_awaiting_states.html

Nothing is sacred, EXCEPT Greg & his cronies jobs.

Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:31 am

lacyw
F L I N T O I D

There are many cities facing insolvency at the moment. Governor Snyder has said he sees this as just the beginning, there will be more to come. This was before he officially took office, but it did not seem like he was overly interested in the state taking over these distressed cities. The state is hurting too. As Michigan is the only state to have lost population according to the census, our federal funding may suffer as a result.

It looks to me like the governors office is going to try to find a way to avoid taking over these cities. Maybe demanding a solid plan for solvency before any monies are released might help?

I do hope whoever the Governor has on his team addressing these issues compares data from cities that have been given money to stay solvent versus those taken over by the state currently being run by an EFM and measures their level of success. The ideal would be to evaluate each one an a city by city basis and make a decision that would best benefit that particular city.

Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:04 pm

Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

by increasing property taxes and personal income tax. Then they build a factory that will employee thousands of people. The factory will produce a new product line of can bug killer called Poplar Raid ® : House & Garden Bug Killer (also can be used at the workplace) The higher income taxes will fill the city coffers with millions of new dollars.

Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:33 pm

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

And, don't forget the Poplar paper airplane factory.

Post Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Reply
Post Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:48 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: Don't let Board of Directors and auditors off the hook!
page 1,

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

When an individual decides to become amember of a nonprofit corporations Board of Directors, they are assuming a liability. Most corporations offer liability insurance, but gross negligence can lead to some serious issues. That is especially true when the nonprofit receives federal funding.

There is also the issue of liability on the part of the community accepting and dispersing the funding.

Example#1-Flint West Village

Note some similarities to the current financial situation

This organization was a 501(c)3 Public Charity that was required to file an IRS form 990 or 990 EZ. Also, because they received substantial federal funding from both the City of Flint and the State of Michigan, they were required to have an audit.

!st warning sign-Audit was very late and took over a year to complete. Auditor noted issues, some of which were related to city policies and procedures:

A. Hud requires a written cost allocation plan for indirct expenses and the agency did not have one. The agency alleged the city returned their plan and stated they did not require one. They further alleged the City of Flint received HUD funding without such a plan in place, which really throws the issue into HUD's ballpark if true.

B. The agency failed to file grant reports timely and reports frequently had to be amended. The agency had several personnel changes and four differnt individuals assumed some accounting roles.

C. The General Liability Insurance was allowed to elapse. (NOTE) The agency received federal funding to renovate the Hardy House, a historic house in Carriage Town, into offices for Carriage Town. When lightning struck the house and started a fire, the loss was not covered. Therefore the project could not be completed.

City of Flint Role?

The agency alleged that during the Stanley administration, the allocation process for HUD funding was significantly delayed. This was an audit for 2002, and the agency alleges the 2002-2003 process was not completed until October 14, 2003. The audit was not sent to the IRS until August of 2004. The dates only make sense if the auditie=r meant October 14, 2004 and approved for funding in February 2003, but retroactive to October 20003.

The agency in a direct communication stated the city delayed payments significantly to all agencies thus creating a cash low crunch. They blamed the Stanley administration for their downfall, One former nonprofit employee alleged that then Finance Director Matt Grady told nonprofits the city was paying bills out of a pooled cash fund and that because of shortfalls, they were using water fund reserves. Other agencies complained of delays, but not to the extent of this agency. Financial problems within the agency most likely contributed.

A SIMILAR SITUATION EXISTS NOW AS THE CITY OF FLINT ACTION PLAN WAS SUBMITTED MANY MONTHS LATE AND PROJECTS DID NOT RECIVE AUTHORIZATION TO PROCEED AS OF THE JULY 1ST BEGINNING OF THE BUDGET YEAR.

The city should have paid attention to the audit warnings. Deficits were shown of $136, 686 for year 2002 and $226,444 for year 2003.

The agency bought properties for their landbanking to keep speculators out of the area. Changes in the tax law and the creation of the Land bank meant the agency had to now pay taxes on the properties that had been amassed. The agency began losing properties and accumulated tax liabilities. A meeting in the Treasurers office raised the issue that some nonprofits inflated the value of the land holdings to make themselves appear solvent. That appeared to be the case here.

Also during this time a former DPW Director made an error by not following proper demolition procedures and HUD disallowed $1.4 million of expenditures.

Staff from DCED began working with the nonprofit in march of 2004. Only four board members were active at this time and no agreement could be reached as to how to solve the problem, in part because the board held such divergent views on how the agency should proceed.The board had laid off the Executive Director and the agency could not demonstrate a capacity to continue as a viable entity for HUD funding.

That did not stop the Emergency Financial manage Edward Kurtz from giving the agency $810,000 in HUD funding (03EFM0508). He allocated additional funding prior to his leaving on June 30, 2004. Council granted him immunity from any of his actions.

The agency concentrated on demolition and demolition is not a money making venture for a nonprofit, The agency, even when facing bankruptcy did not want to sell any of their properties. Minutes show a request for additional funding to redeem properties lost for taxes before the audit.

Believing they should be exempt from taxes, the agency hired an attorney to fight the Land bank.The Auditor is not an attorney and yet he expressed an opinion the Tax Tribunal case had "meritorious claims" in the audit. The agency lost those claims.

The board failed to mitigate lossesfor properties purchased theough HUD and MSHDA. Letters to potential land donors show possible excessive land values attached to the properties in question and maybe an IRS issue.

Bottom line is the city failed to adequately perform their oversight respnsibilities and did not place the agency on sanctions. That would have been an administrative decision and should have been based on sound policies and procedures. The CWAC also made uniformed or erroneous decisions when it came to funding. Also the Council can make changes up to 15 % of the HUD allocation without stopping the process. Under the Emergency Financial manager the staffing levels were reduced and remote monitorin was used more than agency visits. Staff was often overwhelmed with the large number of contracts.

The DCED kept being moved to new locations and documents were misplaced and lost. HUD purchased furniture was given to city staff and the city had a HUD finding over the issue.

On October 5,2004 the entire Board resigned their positions as their liability insurance lapsed. They owed the Metro Housing/Mott Foundation Partnership $175,000; Citizens Bank $49,452 and Bank One $36,001. The computers and some office equipment had been removed from the building. A loss of over 100 properties and the potential loss to the Land bank the next march, left the agency with few options to repay their debts.

The agency was placed into a forced bankruptcy, which only recently ended. The bankruptcy Court was furious that prior to their dissolution the agency sold three properties to a member of the Board of Directors and they forced Kettering to pay additional mmonies for the properties. The new fraternity now sits on the disputed property/

HUD made audit findings on the agency, which were not followed up on.

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:14 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Date Issued: October 13, 2010
Audit Report No.: 2011-CH-1001
File Size: 543KB

Title:The City of Flint, MI, Lacked Adequate Controls Over Its HOME Program Regarding Community Housing Development Organizations' Home-Buyer Projects, Subrecipients' Activities, and Reporting Accomplishments in HUD's System
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's (HUD) Office of Inspector General audited the City of Flint's (City) HOME Investment Partnerships Program (Program). The audit was part of the activities in our fiscal year 2010 annual audit plan. We selected the City based upon our analysis of risk factors relating to Program grantees in Region V's jurisdiction and a citizen complaint to our office. Our objectives were to determine whether the City complied with Federal requirements in its use of Program funds for community housing development organizations' (organization) home-buyer projects and subrecipients' activities and accurately reported Program accomplishments in HUD's Integrated Disbursement and Information System (System). This is the second of three planned audit reports on the City's Program.

The City did not comply with Federal requirements in its use of Program funds for organizations' home-buyer projects. It (1) did not ensure that organizations entered into lease-purchase agreements or entered into appropriate lease-purchase agreements with households, (2) failed to ensure that an organization transferred homes to home buyers within 42 months of project completion and did not convert the home-buyer projects to rental projects, (3) did not reimburse its HOME trust fund treasury account (treasury account) for terminated projects, (4) inappropriately used Program funds for home-buyer project costs that were administrative expenses, (5) did not prevent an organization from entering into a land contract with a home buyer, (6) inappropriately used Program organization reserve funds for an owner-occupied single-family rehabilitation project, (7) used Program funds for unreasonable acquisition costs, and (Cool did not decommit and reprogram Program funds for a terminated project. As a result, the City drew down and disbursed nearly $1.7 million in Program funds for organizations' home-buyer projects that did not meet Federal requirements and inappropriately drew down and disbursed more than $143,000 in additional Program funds.

The City also did not comply with Federal requirements in its use of Program funds for subrecipients' activities. It (1) inappropriately used Program funds for costs that were not associated with an eligible project, were administrative expenses, and were unrelated to the City's Program activities; (2) lacked sufficient documentation to support Program funds used for projects; and (3) did not reprogram Program funds for a terminated project. As a result, the City inappropriately drew down and disbursed nearly $427,000 in Program funds and lacked sufficient documentation to support nearly $65,000 in Program funds.

Further, the City did not accurately report Program accomplishments in HUD's
Page 9 of audit- "Hud's reulations at 24 CFR 92.503 (b) (2) state that any Program funds invested in any project that is terminated before completion, either voluntarily or otherwise, must be repaid by a participating jurisdiction in accordance with Section 92.503 (b) (3). Section 92.503 (b) (3) states that if the Program funds were disbersed from the Participating Jurisdictions HOME trust funds local account (local account), the funds must be repaid to the participating jurisdictions local account."
Page 10- City drew down and disbursed $45, 200 in Program funds from April 2003 through April 2004 to Flint west Village for rehab and soft costs associated with 2 homes. They filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy on 3-31-2005 and dissolved on 10-1-2006. As part of the bankruptcy, one home was sold to a private party. No projects were completed and there was no recapture of funds. City did not attempt to rehab the second house.

These projects were started under the Emergency Financial manager. These properties have only recently been released by the bankruptcy court, Even the properties taken that year as foreclosed upon by the land bank had to be returned to the court for the bankruptcy.

Flint's law department had very little understanding of HUD regulations and they should have been more proactive.

The OIG could not find the records but they were stored in the Kettering archives by former board member David White.

The non profit was so dysfunctional that Williamson refused to allow funds allocated by Kurtz to go to the agency. Council refused to reallocate so HOME funding was lost for a year.

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:54 am

Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Aren't these the same violations year after year? I notice this goes back to 2002.. What's going on. Every time we get a new administration they revap the entire office?? Is there NO continuity? Or what is the problem. Or are these non profit's just scams to begin with?

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:53 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

For some reason HUD allowed findings from 17 years ago to go unanswered. After Williamson threw HUD official Sykes out of his office they demanded responses. The office had to literally shut down to give responses.

Also the department was moved so many times in the last 7 years (5 times I believe) that records were lost and misplaced. Records that had findings were supposed to be marked and not discarded.

The first audit of 2 in 2009 and 2010 addressed the 17 years of findings that were not dealt with. The department was reduced to a skeletal crew. particularly when Kurtz was in charge. Melanie Pursell the budget director at that time actually sold the best furniture in city hall (some say to her friends, but i can't verify that) and much of that furniture and computer related items were paid for with HUD dollars. HUD has a policy in place for the disposal of any item purchased with HUD funding.

You have to ask why HUD allowed this to continue for so long. I remember calling HUD and had friends call HUD only to be told the White House told them to back off.

You can't overlook the role of the CWAC and City Council. The CWAC recommended agencies for funding even when they knew there were taxes owing and other issues. Council allowed friendships to force funding to go to agencies that were in trouble. Acting directors that did not know what they were doing compounded the problem and staff was ordered to do some things.

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:52 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Plante Moran, as Dupois Ryden, was the auditor for both Flint West Village and Greater Eastside Community Association (GECA). Their audits were so carefully worded that you almost had to be another accountant to see both agencies were still being funded when both were in trouble. GECA had a warning that they may not be able to continue operation because of deficits and other issues.

HUD says communities should work with troubled agencies to help them succeed. With a skeletal staff, that was impossible. Also you were dealing with direcors that thought they knew more than staff. The Board of Directors had fiduciary responsibilities and both boards abdicated their responsibilities.

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:08 pm

Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

So I guess the underlying question is alas the stupidest one. can it be fixed ad what would it take? Who is the person to fix it?

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:30 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Example #2

Greater Eastside Community Association or GECA

The OIG got part of this audit investigation wrong. GECA did not purchase this home on Maryland east of Franklin. They owned it and they were selling it on a land contract. They decided to repurchase the home and received an advance in money to purchase the home while never disclosing the true situation. The land contract holder was willing to sell but the deal was never consummated.

Under HUD HOME rules, GECA had one year to start renovation and 2 years to complete. If that process is delayed then they must file paperwork and a plan that includes completion.

GECA also bought 2 former rental properties on Maryland, west of Franklin and directly behind the homes GECA built on Delaware. Considering the condition of the homes, GECA may have paid too much or GECA let the homes slide into further disrepair. Although GECA had already used nearly all of the administrative money and one year had passed they had not started renovation. Karen Morris sent them notification that they were expected to start.

Both houses were condemned as they were open and being vandalized. Some metal and even windows were taken. In 2006 the city sued and the properties were turned over to the city. Great except the city did not finish them either. And the law department had such a limited understanding of HUD rules they nearlly lost the case in it's entirety.

This lack of understanding will cost the city $149,130 in general fund dollars to HUD. GECA was required to replace the money not used to purchase the first house plus $1,100 in accrued interest. The city had placed the money from GECA into the self insurance fund and not returned it to the HUD local account. The city had disbursed $81,551 to GECA.

GECA is another agency the Emergency Finacial Manager allocated funds to although they owed property taxes. The CWAC did not understand the rules and said they thought it meant taxes should not be owung for the project under consideration for funding. Flint, as a home rule city, cannot enter into a contract with one who owes the city.

THE CITY AGREED TO REIMBURSE THE PROGRAM FUND (WITH NON HUD FUNDS) A TOTAL OF $126,751 FOR THE PROJECTS NOT COMPLETED BY GECA AND FLINT WEST VILLAGE.

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:27 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Searched for: GREATER EASTSIDE COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION

ID Num: 734766

Entity Name: GREATER EASTSIDE COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION

Type of Entity: Domestic Nonprofit Corporation
Resident Agent: JOSHUA FREEMAN

Registered Office Address: 2804 N FRANKLIN AVENUE FLINT MI 48506
Mailing Address: MI

Formed Under Act Number(s): 162-1982

Incorporation/Qualification Date: 5-25-1995

Jurisdiction of Origin: MICHIGAN

Number of Shares: 0

Year of Most Recent Annual Report: 08

Year of Most Recent Annual Report With Officers & Directors: 06

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:52 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

The Board of Directors for the Land bank repeatedly made allowances for GECA , despite serious arrearages in the land contract given by the Land Bank for the GECA office.

After former Executive Director Kate Fields created Advanced Solutions and got the Energy Grant through the Department of Energy, she used this office for a time. Josh Freeman as registered agent of GECA deeded the property back to the Land Bank.

Instrument: 201002050006877 Volume Page:
Recorded: 2/5/2010 9:38:52 AM Prepared: 01/21/10 Mailed: 07/23/2010 Pages: 1
Document Type: QUIT CLAIM DEED-TREASURERS Interest: Consideration:
Grantor: GREATER EASTSIDE COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION
Grantee: COUNTY OF GENESEE LAND BANK AUTHORITY

Notes:
Legal Description: Sub: COLUMBIA HEIGHTS, Lt: 56, PrpId: 4105527004, St: 2802 FRANKLIN AVE N, , , City Code: 54 / Sub: COLUMBIA HEIGHTS, Lt: 57, PrpId: 4105527004, St: 2802 FRANKLIN AVE N, , , City Code: 54
Marginal: Bkwd I 200408270090558 (LC)

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:03 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Carolyn Sims, former 5th ward council and land Bank representative voted to extend GECA's contract and once ordered DCED to give "Poor Kate Fields" some federal money. She had lobbied the land bank to change their rules so that they alone could select the City of Flint representative on their board.

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:07 pm

Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Sorry, but Kate Fields always seemed to me to be a pretty Smart and competent woman. And have a pretty good understanding of Grants and funding? I find it a bit difficult to swallow that she was screwing this crap up with HUD? what else ya got?

Post Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:42 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

You have forgotten how she screwed up all of the complaints she made to HUD and councel and the campaign finance complaints that went nowhere.

Looks can be deceiving and I have hundreds of pages more.

Post Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:24 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

If she is do smart why is there a whistleblower lawsuit involving her company and Greg Eason. Eason was originally going to be her CEO for her energy company. What else does the corporate veil hide. So she ingratiates herself to people and hugs every council person as they enter. Friendships do not make good political decisions.

I know you read M-Live and then you should have noticed that "Old Flint Guy" took his complaint to the US attorney and stated they were investigating. Federal complaints take as long to complete as the product of elephants mating and sometimes longer.

Why else would Ananich stall the decision to give the energy grant to a company with 17 years experience so that the new council could change the grant over to her. Ananich was her President of GECA until he was elected, and then Josh Freeman took over. Ananich practically grew up knowing Kate as she was a friend of his fathers. He got nonprofit status and no taxes on the bank building on Franklin and Davison for her. He also signed as President of GECA for a $100,000 loan on the property. She still lost the property.

Post Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:37 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

YouTube - Kate Fields Speaks @ Flint City Council
Sep 3, 2006 ... Kate Fields Speaks @ Flint City Council ... Added to queue Habanera rehearsal, Kate Aldrich at the Detroit...by michiganopera9519 views ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIcKrxDkolQ - 101k - Cached - Similar pages

Not only did the city not lose the money, but HUD praised Nancy Jurkiewicz-Rich. The $1.4 billion lost was because Kurts through Emergency Financial Manager directives gave the money to Greater Eastside (kate's org.) and Flint West Village although neither one qualified. Council refused to reallocate the dollars.

The audit report from October 2010 details HUD HOME dollars received since that money was lost.

Post Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:01 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

If you look at these examples there are 2 common threads:

1- An emergency financial manager (EFM) made the decision to fund these two agencies through executive orders. Staff attempted to make the best of a bad situation but the situation could not be resolved. Cuts to staff by the EFM further hindered their ability to resolve critical issues.

2. The board of directors of these agencies had an obligation to be aware of the issues with unpaid taxes, etc. That is why boards have liability insurance because they have a fiduciary responsibility.

You could add a warning to not throw HUD officials out of you officice and don't trust council with hidden agendas!

Post Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:12 pm
Post Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:55 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: Don't let Board of Directors and auditors off the hook!
page 2

Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Cute. LOL

Post Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:02 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Each nonprofit had the same auditing firm. The tell tale signs of a company in trouble were often hidden. They did however predict that GECA could fail to be a continuing viable entity. I challenged the compny on this seeming duplicitous reporting and their higher cost lost their bid the next year. They actually expressed relief. I found it incredulous that they would comment on the merits of a pending lawsuit when they are not lawyers.

* A leading figure in the Treasurers office explained to me sometime around 2005 how some local nonprofits were inflating the values of their property holdings significantly in order to make themselves appear solvent. That was obvious in Flint West Village minutes when an appeal was referred to in the minutes to find a way to repurchase lost tax reverted properties before the next audit. The tax exemptions offered to potential land donors seemed excessive to me, especially when the intent was to demolish.

Post Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:15 am

* This was Dan Kildee
Post Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:57 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: 200 free parking spaces-no money for DDA bond

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

City of Flint adds free parking around mostly empty downtown ramp
Published: Friday, March 18, 2011, 8:16 AM Updated: Friday, March 18, 2011, 10:01 AM

Flint Journal file photoThe Rutherford Parking Structure is pictured just prior to its July 2009 opening.
FLINT, Michigan — The downtown’s new $8.1 million parking deck is now surrounded by a sea of free street parking.

The city added 200 free spaces in downtown Flint during its recent large-scale one-way street conversion project, even as the 388-space Rutherford Parking Structure sat mostly empty.

That is potentially a big problem for the city — since the Downtown Development Authority relies on paid parking at the deck to help make payments on the structure’s $10 million construction loan.

“It just doesn’t make sense to put (free) parking around a parking ramp,” City Councilman Joshua Freeman said.

When the DDA can’t make the full payment — which it hasn’t been able to do for the last three years — the cash-strapped city of Flint is on the hook for the balance.

So far, the city has paid $1.3 million on the loan, including interest, while the DDA has only paid about $326,000, according to the city Finance Department.

This year, the city will have to shell out just over half of this year’s $668,000 payment, said Flint Mayor Dayne Walling, who is also chairman of the DDA.

The city’s portion of the payment comes from its public improvement fund, which is strictly for capital improvement projects and debt payment — not the general fund, which pays for police, fire and other city services.

Councilman Delrico Loyd complained that the city is steering people away from a parking deck the DDA can’t fully pay for.

The parking deck opened in 2009 at Kearsley and Beach streets, one block off Saginaw Street. It was built in anticipation of a flood of new downtown parkers as new student housing and businesses located in the center of the city.

But the deck is only 40 percent full most days, officials said, and the DDA has struggled to pay off the loan.

The city council recently questioned the administration about the added street parking.

Walling said the street spaces provide a short-term option for an increased number of downtown visitors, Walling said. Parking is limited to two hours on the street.

Long-term parkers, such as people who work downtown, should be parking in the parking ramp, he said.

“It’s important to have adequate parking for all times of day and for events,” said Walling, who added that three- to five-year projections show even more spaces will be necessary to accommodate more businesses.

The DDA is working on ways to make more money so it can make the full payments on the bond, he said.

Part of the problem is that the previous city council approved extensions on tax abatements for downtown businesses, Walling said. The DDA would have captured a portion of that tax revenue for the bond payments.

Walling also said the DDA has always intended to put parking meters on the street parking spaces.

“Every single spot becomes a revenue-generating machine,” Walling said. “I’m pushing to get those parking meters in place as soon as possible.”

But that’s not soon enough for some city council members. Loyd said he wants the street parking “drastically” reduced.

“We can’t keep waiting and waiting and waiting for meters,” he said. “I’m getting just a little bit antsy. I want it fixed.”

But DDA officials said meters are already on the way. The DDA has picked a vendor and the meters could be in place as soon as six to eight weeks, said Gerard Burnash, DDA director.

Walling said the DDA will be able to make its full payments on the bond when the ramp is full and when parking meters are on the majority of downtown spaces.

When will that happen?

“We’re working on the projections,” Walling said.

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:24 am

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Hey, Walling, can you project when Pigs will be flying over Flint?

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:27 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Council knew when they bonded out the ramp that it could not make payments for at least 2 years. It was the city that changed the one way streets and created the free parking spaces. Council knew the DDA did not have money for parking meters after vandals destroyed the old meters.

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:59 pm
Post Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:01 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: NSP 3 Substantial Addendum

tmonahan01
F L I N T O I D

Kristen Longley had an article in the journal about this issue. (link below) The Carriage Town Neighborhood Association responded to the addendum during the public comment period and although supportive of working on the Hurley Stone St area, if the city tears the Hurley houses down, it is unlikely the can build new ones anyway. Any new excavations for foundations would likely uncover more Native American remains like what was found just a few hundred feet down the hill. The Chippewa's have spent the last 2 summers sifting the remains out of the piles and have now re-intered the remains on that site. The houses are all within the borders of the Carriage Town Historic District and to tear the houses down, the city must first comply with SHIPO sec 106 guidelines, then get approval from the Flint HDC, which is not easily done. CMH tried a few years back, the HDC said NO, CMH appealed to SHIPO (state historic preservation office) and they also said NO. CMH then appealed to circuit court and was denied there also. Tearing down houses in historic districts is not easily done.

So the CTHNA position is that rehabs could be done and we could do many more than the addendum proposes. There are 8 owned by Hurley, 3 owned by the land bank and the NA would certainly give a house recently donated by the Spencer Family for a total of 12 units, not 9. The houses that have been completed in Carriage Town are all sold and the ones that are almost done have many people looking at them to purchase.

Hurley Hospital has let these historic Homes decay to the point that some think they can't be saved. This may be the case but many units in worse shape have been done here and have been sold to great people who are now active in the local community. 2 houses recently were sold to people that were already renting in the neighborhood so we have actual homeowners and not more rental units.

To build a bunch of new houses in Flint makes no sense to me personally, in Carriage Town or elsewhere. We have an overabundance of available housing. Fix what we have if possible, put the rest into demolition and infrastructure (sidewalks, street lighting etc.) and let's get to work rebuilding the city one block at a time if needed, starting with the Hurley owned historic homes.

Tim Monahan
President
CTHNA

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2011/02/next_wave_of_federal_grant_mon.html

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:05 am

Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I have to laugh at the City of Flint's plans, how would anyone in their right minds put $240,000 + into a home and only sell it for $15,000 to $25,000??? Dayne needs to go back to school or something because according to my math that is a loss.

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:06 pm

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Maybe it's 15K to rehab the house & 225K for "pocket" money.

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:47 pm

Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

lol

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

It would be interesting to know how much grant money goes for it's intended purpose & how much goes into various pockets.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:04 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Reply with quote

Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

It seems it may be difficult to tear down houses in a historical District. But it sure seems to be easy to build new ones without permission. Stat EMS didn't seem to have a problem. I'm assuming Hurley will do the same thing. Just build it then say take me to court.

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:36 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote

tmonahan01
F L I N T O I D

Seems like the city just will not listen to reason. The requirements to tear down houses in historic districts, especially this close to the Native American excavation site would be all but impossible to overcome. Councilmen Lawler and Neeley know this, Eason knows this, Jackie Foster knows this, seems everyone knows this BUT THEY DID IT ANYWAY. What a waste of time on all our parts to try to rectify the problems. We need knew blood at city hall with some brains.

Tim Monahan
President
CTHNA

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:39 am

JCARPENTER
F L I N T O I D

TIM- city hall has brains they just dont know how to use them. I previewed all the Hurley owned homes and suggested that four of them were not worth rehab and should be torn down. The lots would be added to the home next door creating green space and making room for addition of a two car garage. This would make more room for kids to play and keep cars out the street. Guess why some people moved out of the city in the first place? The historical society said i did understand Historical preservation and would not approve of the plan. One home has since burned and all the rest continue to rot. Now, you tell me why its smarter to rehab homes that are not worth the money,build on postage stamp size lots, park your car and have kids play in the street is a good idea. I suggest adding a couple of people to the Historical Society that understands good neiborhood development and preservation will progress much faster. Call me i can help.

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:11 pm

tmonahan01
F L I N T O I D

Actually what we know is that SHIPO and HDC aren't going to approve this plan. The lots on the west side are some of the biggest in Carriage Town and new builds at 240.000 each is just plain nuts. The proximity to the Native American site will require an archeologist ON HAND during all excavations (This according the SHIPO) and if any remains are found the place becomes an archeological recovery site per Fed guidelines. If we rehab, we do not have to have an archeologist on hand, which would also be required during demo (technically, but ask forgiveness, not permission). With the allocation they are proposing, we get 12 houses done, not 9 (2 rehab / 7 new) and we meet all the Sec 106 requirements much more easily. So from an economic standpoint, rehabs will be allowed, demo will not (not my call, I agree with you on some of them but....) and no new builds will happen period because of the Sec106 requirements that any developer using Fed money MUST comply with. Personally, maybe we need to adjust the exterior materials list to make rehabs more affordable. We could also argue to get rid of the Historic Designation for Ctown or just this 4 blocks but I bought this house because it was in one, my attitude could change quickly though. The rules are not enforced anyway, If they had been, we WOULD NOT BE HERE because Hurley would have been forced to at least prevent further deterioration.

Anyway, I will sign a petition for "Carpenter for Mayor."

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:40 pm

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

People need to understand that rules and laws only apply to the little people. The elites do not have to follow them; what they want, they will get. They are above the rules and the law. I'm not being sarcastic, it's a fact.

Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:13 am

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

The city tore down at least one house in Civic Park, another historic District.

Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:20 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Jackie Foster was on Comcast today when they aired the Council meeting. Neeley just threw up his hands and shook his head at her responses regarding the NSP3 amendment. It seems the written history of the resolution noted that over $3 million would be lost if the amendment was not sent in by March 1, the next day after the council meeting. After telling Neeley no money was at risk, she then told him the amendment had to be approved by March 1st. When neeley read the paragraph to her, she came up with a convoluted response that evoked Neeley's reaction.

She also perplexed Freeman about the East side demolitions and I am not sure if that ever got resolved.

Look out as we are headed for a bumpy ride!

Post Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:26 pm
Post Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:10 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: Politics as usual By j Carpenter

JCARPENTER
F L I N T O I D

Is anyone out there fed up with politics as usual? We get self serving narcistic people like Walling making promices that they lack sufficent experience in keeping. They then make appointments to people based on donations, campaign mgrs.,persons of color, gender,age,etc.etc. The only thing these politicians seem to lack is common sense and basic business knowledge.All they need to do is break even. They wouldnt last six months in the business world.The only thing they do is keep on spending beyond the tax payers ability to repay and raise taxes to cover their mistakes.Oh! i forgot to mention,blame the union and or previous adms. for all their problems. Ok Politicians, here is all us tax payers want you to do. Take a basic business course and learn to do such things as, step one,when your in the hole stop digging.

Now here is all we want- #1 A SAFE place to live. #2 A CLEAN place to live.#3 A DECENT school system. Every thing else comes after this.

Hint -you dont start by layoffs in the police and fire depts. and pick up garbage every other week. Go back and get rid of all those inexperiensed appts. you made and hire some people that know what they are doing,to help you get this city out of this mess.

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:04 am

Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

That would be wonderful, but the only thing politicians care about is themselves. The only time they "care" about us is when they want our votes. After the election, we're beneath their notice.

We don't need politicians, we need leaders!

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:19 am

cleartheair
F L I N T O I D

I agree with both of you, we need to have leadership, not a self-serving nanny in the mayors office.

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:57 pm

tmonahan01
F L I N T O I D

I can not agree more. Just having to deal with DCED is all but impossible. The right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing. The NSP 3 Substantial addendum is just a shinning example of ineptitude on the part of the administration. They send in the addendum without any understanding of the historic regulations that govern a historic district, want to tear down the houses that Hurley has let rot for years and they assume the Flint HDC will let them. Deadline for submission is the end of the month. Good Luck DCED!

We need a mayor that will serve just one term cause if the new mayor does his job, EVERYONE will be pissed which means the job is getting done ACROSS THE BOARD, and reelection is unlikely. OR EVERYONE is mad equally so all are satisfied that the job is getting done and not by putting of the job by way of a stabilization bond.

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:31 am

JCARPENTER
F L I N T O I D

Some have not heard the latest. The governer may give the same powers to current mayors as to a take over person? God help us all if he allows that to happen in Flint. Duh, thats the problem with most of the cities all over the state. They are being run by a bunch of the same political types with no idea as to what the taxpayers want or how to furnish them the services and break even. The simple fact is that they lack the experiance to be put in charge of multi million dollar budgets.Lets all keep this in mind next time and stop electing people based on political party,money,color,gender,advertising,church affilation,ETC<ETC<ETC. Forget these measures and elect someone with a proven business background who will not listen to special interest groups ,bribes,downtown,parties or anything except getting our city back on track.

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 am
Post Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:15 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: Fraud at Flint Jobs Corp?

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Former directors were removed for embezzlement, but now new allegations are surfacing.

Job Corps Fraud Blog Nationwide mismanagement of Job Corps calls for action!

Government Accounting Office OIG Reports outcome study Oversight Performance riot termination wage and hour investigations Job Corps Centers
September 2, 2010 • 7:16 am 0
Allegations about Flint/Genesee Job Corps online diploma program
-from J

“There is wide spread corruption and unethical practices at the Flint/Genesee Job Corps operated by the Alluttiq management LLC. Many of the students, aka, trainees take the high school on line classes from Penn Foster. The work is supposed to be completed on the computer. The administrator provides the student with a print out of the questions with the answers. The diploma is not worth the paper it is written on. There is high staff turnover and the students do not put the proper time in to obtain a vocational trade but are given the certification. This location needs some oversight or investigation.”

-Howard’s response:

“Flint/Genesee Job Corps has an overall ranking of 52 for the rolling year ending July 30, 2010. They ranked number 7 for the GED/HSD category. Well, now we know how they do it – give the students the answers to the test questions. This is nothing new, how do you think these “high school diplomas” are “earned” at Job Corps centers?

It’s more difficult to cheat on the GED test because that test is monitored by a GED examiner who doesn’t work for Job Corps. Knowing that most students can’t pass the GED test, the Job Corps system pays a hefty sum to other companies whose services they contract to issue “high school diplomas” allegedly earned on-line. It’s just another Job Corps charade.

Here’s the funny part. Any serious educator who looks at Flint/Genesee’s other statistics will immediately notice something suspicious. They rank number 115 out of 122 Job Corps on the Literacy ranking. How can they do so well earning GED/ high school diplomas, when they rank so low on Literacy gains? Every teacher worth his salt knows that the skills needed to pass the GED and earn a high school diploma correlate highly to Literacy skills. Stated another way, Literacy is a significant factor in being able to pass the GED test or to earn a high school diploma honestly. Yet on this center there is a very high inverse correlation between the two.

You’ll probably say, “but those students who earn the diploma and GEDs are not in the pool of students whose Literacy and Numeracy gains are being tested and tracked.” Not true. High school diplomas are being granted to students who score below the eighth grade level on the TABE. In fact, a student can enter the New Summit high school program with just a 6.5 GE Literacy score on the TABE. These students are definitely not leaving the program with 10.0 GE reading level as is recommended for taking the GED test. Most states’ Education Depts want students to be functioning at the 10.0 reading and math levels before they take the GED. This is how Job Corps fools students and the public into believing that they have earned a “high school diploma”. Then when they go to interview for a job, the boss finds out that they can’t read or write at what is considered a literate level. The unions, especially, are questioning these diplomas.

So why is the Forestry Service looking for contractors to submit bids for providing high school programs to it’s centers? The Forestry Service has prided itself in remaining true to the original Job Corps goals and in delivering honest certifications. Is it now falling in line with the rest of the system that has sold its soul to the devil”?

42.529820 -71.629473
Filed under: Alutiiq, Contractors, Flint/Genesee Job Corps Center, number manipulation, Performance, Reader's Comments , Alutiiq, Flint/Genesee Job Corps, GED, literacy gains, online diploma program, overall ranking, Penn Foster, USDA forestry Service

Post Thu May 05, 2011 3:14 pm

Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Nice Job untanglingwebs.

Post Thu May 05, 2011 8:38 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Plus they had a serious bed bug epidemic!

Post Fri May 06, 2011 2:16 pm
Post Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:19 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Topic: HUD audit - Flint mortgage fraud

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Some individuals never even made their first payment! lengthy report 48 pages

Date Issued: July 22, 2010
Audit Memorandum No.: 2010-CH-1808
File Size: 1.13 MB

Title: Mac-Clair Mortgage Corporation, Flint, MI, Did Not Properly Underwrite a Selection of FHA Loans
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's (HUD) Office of Inspector General (OIG) reviewed 20 Federal Housing Administration (FHA) loans that Mac-Clair Mortgage Corporation (Mac-Clair) underwrote as an FHA direct endorsement lender. Our review objective was to determine whether Mac-Clair underwrote the 20 loans in accordance with FHA requirements. This review is part of “Operation Watchdog”, an OIG initiative to review the underwriting of 15 direct endorsement lenders at the suggestion of the FHA Commissioner. The Commissioner expressed concern regarding the increasing claim rates against the FHA insurance fund for failed loans. Mac-Clair did not properly underwrite 7 of the 20 loans reviewed because its underwriters did not follow FHA’s requirements. As a result, FHA’s insurance fund suffered actual losses of $562,551. Further, Mac-Clair’s direct endorsement underwriters incorrectly certified that due diligence was used in underwriting the seven loans.

We recommend that HUD’s Associate General Counsel for Program Enforcement determine legal sufficiency and if legally sufficient, pursue remedies under the Program Fraud Civil Remedies Act against Mac-Clair and/or its principals for incorrectly certifying to the integrity of the data or that due diligence was exercised during the underwriting of seven loans that resulted in losses to HUD totaling $562,551 which could result in affirmative civil enforcement action of approximately $1,177,602. We also recommend that HUD’s Deputy Assistant Secretary for Single Family take appropriate administrative action against Mac-Clair and/or its principals for the material underwriting deficiencies cited in this report once the affirmative civil enforcement action cited in Recommendation 1A is completed.

Post Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:27 pm

untanglingwebs
F L I N T O I D

Report: Mac-Clair Mortgage Corporation failed to properly underwrite certain Federal Housing Administration loans, may face civil action
Published: Thursday, August 26, 2010, 9:40 AM
Melissa Burden | Flint Journal
BURTON, Michigan — A local mortgage company and/or its owner may have to pay $1.18 million after a probe into the company by a government watchdog agency found it failed to properly underwrite seven of 20 Federal Housing Administration loans it reviewed.

Mac-Clair Mortgage Corp. underwriters failed to follow FHA requirements on seven loans, which cost FHA’s insurance fund $562,551, according to a July 22 report issued by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Office of Inspector General.

No formal disciplinary action has been taken against the company, said Brian Sullivan, a HUD spokesman.

Bernie Cason, owner of Mac-Clair Mortgage that moved from Flint Township to 4355 S. Saginaw St. in Burton in June and expects to close its doors in the next few weeks, said the report found no fraud. Cason said he disagrees with the OIG’s findings and issued a formal rebuttal about four weeks ago.

“OIG doesn’t have guidelines because they’re not an underwriting authority,” he said. “Our attorney is advising us six of the seven (loans) should be dismissed.”

Mac-Clair Mortgage was among 15 companies nationwide, and one of three in Michigan, that the OIG said in January it would review because of their unusually high number of defaults on FHA loans, much higher than the national average.

As direct endorsement lenders, the companies have the authority to underwrite the loans without prior FHA approval.

FHA has become a major source of financing for first-time homebuyers, but has also seen its loses rise dramatically. FHA insures mortgages, and when a loan goes into default and foreclosures, FHA pays an insurance claim to the lender, Sullivan said.

Between November 2007 and December 2009, Mac-Clair endorsed 2,856 FHA loans valued at more than $309 million and submitted 458 claims to the FHA insurance fund worth more than $41.4 million, according to the report.

OIG found that seven of the 20 loans it reviewed were noncompliant with FHA/HUD regulations in areas such as income, liabilities, gift funds, credit report and verification of rent.

The July 22 report from the OIG recommends HUD officials pursue remedies against Mac-Clair including possible civil enforcement action of about $1.18 million and administrative action against the company for its underwriting deficiencies. The figure is double the loss to the FHA fund, plus a $7,500 fine for each of the seven loans.

HUD enforcement staff are reviewing the OIG’s report, Sullivan said.

Cason said he is working with HUD on remedies, but called underwriting “an art,” and said there are exceptions to every rule in HUD’s underwriting guidelines.

In its rebuttal letter, Mac-Clair said staff “strive to comply with applicable rules and regulations” and that most of the loans reviewed defaulted as a result of a borrower having “unforeseen economic or personal setbacks.”

“These are unfair, biased decisions, uneducated decisions they made,” he said.

Cason also said it was unfair for OIG to compare his default ratios and claims against the FHA insurance fund to default rates in places such as Denver.

He said his company’s default rate was higher than others was because it does 75 percent of its business in Genesee County and that both Flint and Michigan had higher default rates on FHA loans than the rest of the country. In Mac-Clair’s rebuttal letter, the company said FHA loans consisted of about 65 percent of business from 2007 to June.

“It was a political move to begin with,” Cason said. “The OIG and HUD is going to be victorious in forcing companies to go out of business in high default cities.”

Cason said he is winding down his business.Mac-Clair, which has been in business since 1970 and had been in Flint Township since 1999, now has only about five employees.

In January, the company had about 55 employees, according to Flint Journal files.

Some of his employees stayed with his wife Kristi Cason, who this summer bought Cason Home Loans and stayed at Mac-Clair’s former Miller Road location.

“It just kept withering and withering down and it just made the most sense to just close the doors,” he said.

Mac-Clair Mortgage has had 20 complaints filed with the Michigan Office of Financial and Insurance Regulation dating back to 1999, said Jason Moon, an OFIR spokesman. The complaints against Mac-Clair were for advertising and marketing, Moon said.

Moon said there has been no public regulatory action against the company, but that he couldn’t comment if there are any active investigations against company.

Cason Home Loans is registered in Michigan to do business under J. Virgil Inc. based in Bay City, Moon said.