FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint & Detroit murder rates
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

News about Detroit Murder Rate

bing.com/news

Detroit's murder rate drops 14-percent

Detroit's murder rate drops 14-percent

WHTC · 1 day ago

DETROIT (WKZO) -- Detroit Police Chief James Craig says murders are down in the Motor City so far this year. Through the end of August, 189 homicides had been…

Detroit Police Chief James Craig: Homicide clearance rate boomed from 11 to 72 percent in two years

MLive · 11 days ago

Detroit police: Homicide pace lowest in decades

The Detroit News · 3 days ago
Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:02 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint murder rates have been down this year until a recent spike in the last few weeks.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:03 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Wayne County

August 31, 2014 at 1:00 am
Detroit police: Homicide pace lowest in decades
George Hunter
The Detroit News

Detroit Police Chief James Craig is at the scene of a killing last week. Through August, 189 homicides were reported in Detroit. Purchase Image
Detroit Police Chief James Craig is at the scene of a killing last week. Through August, 189 homicides were reported in Detroit. (Robin Buckson / The Detroit News)
Detroit— Despite three fatal shootings over the weekend, Detroit Police officials say it’s possible the year will end with fewer than 300 homicides for the first time in nearly a half-century.

Through August, there were 189 reported homicides in the city this year, a drop of about 14 percent over the same period in 2013, when Detroit recorded fewer than 350 homicides for only the fourth time in the past 40 years.

Detroit Police Chief James Craig said he expects the trend to continue.

“We’re hoping we don’t hit the 300 mark for 2014,” Craig said at Thursday’s Board of Police Commissioners meeting. “That would be historic, to not have 300 homicides. ... July and August are typically our toughest months because of the heat, so unless we have an Indian summer, I think the number of shootings will diminish.”

The last time the city had fewer than 300 criminal homicides was 1967, when there were 281, according to FBI statistics. It came close in 2010, when the city ended the year with 308 homicides.

While the number of homicides has dwindled, so has the city’s population, which is now about 700,000. The homicide rate per 100,000 residents is a more accurate indicator of the impact on a city.

In 2012, the rate hit a 20-year high of about 54.6, roughly the same as in 1974, when Detroit recorded 714 homicides and became known as the “Murder Capital.” The homicide rate in 2013 dropped to 47.4.

Still, if the city were to fall below the 300 mark in homicides, it would be a milestone for a city that has been fighting the image as one of America’s most violent cities for decades.

Detroit ranked third in a list earlier this year by CNN, based on FBI statistics. First on the list was Camden, New Jersey; followed by Flint; Detroit; Oakland, California; St. Louis; Cleveland; Gary, Indiana; Newark, New Jersey; Bridgeport, Connecticut; and Birmingham, Alabama.

Falling below 300 homicides for the year would represent a significant achievement, Detroit Police Sgt. Michael Woody said.

“It’s not just one thing leading to these lower numbers; there are several factors at work,” Woody said, adding a focus on crime “hot spots” through the department’s COMPSTAT program, along with stronger ties to the community have helped lower the city’s crime rate.

“Who would have thought if you have a relationship with the community, that would help solve crimes? I ask that question facetiously, but it’s true,” Woody said. “People are talking to us more now, and that’s helping get these criminals off the streets.”

Assistant Police Chief Steve Dolunt said a few criminals are causing the most havoc.

“About 10 percent of the people are committing 90 percent of the crimes,” Dolunt said during a presentation to the Board of Police Commissioners.

Craig said violent crime is down 9 percent this year over the same period in 2013, with a 14 percent drop in non-fatal shootings. However, one area that has increased this year is justifiable homicides, with 20 so far in 2014, up from 14 during the same period last year.

There were at least three fatal shootings over the weekend, including two teenagers whose identities were unknown, who were killed after a man pushed them out of a car; and a 23-year-old man who was shot to death at the Smith Homes public housing project Saturday night.

A witness phoned police at about 3:40 a.m. Sunday to report seeing a man stop in the 15800 block of Stoepel, near Livernois and the Lodge Freeway, and force two people from the car, Detroit Police Officer Adam Madera said.

“After they were forced from the vehicle, the witness reported hearing four gunshots,” he said. “When officers arrived, they found two unknown teens, a male and female, lying in the street with multiple gunshot wounds. They were pronounced dead at the scene.”

Madera said police don’t know the ages or identities of the two victims.

In the Smith Homes incident, which happened about 10:58 p.m. in the 14200 block of Crescent Drive, a second 23-year-old man was pistol-whipped. He was taken to an area hospital, where his condition was listed as stable. The circumstances leading up to that incident are unknown, police said.

The incidents follow multiple shootings in the city last week, including a triple shooting at about midnight Friday in the 14500 block of Robson near Grand River and Greenfield, which left one dead; and three shootings on the east side Thursday and Friday that killed one and wounded six others.

Police have done a better job of solving homicides, Woody said. “The national average for solved cases is about 60 percent, and we’re at about 66 percent now,” he said.

Major Rush, whose 18-year-old daughter LaTasha Cheatum was killed in a June 2010 drive-by shooting, said there’s still work to be done. The murder of his daughter, who was eight weeks pregnant when she was shot while driving on eastbound Interstate 96, has never been solved.

“Technology is changing, and a lot of these criminals just aren’t very smart,” said Rush, 52. “They’ll walk right into a CVS (drug store) and rob it without wearing masks, knowing there are cameras that will show their faces. So I think a lot of them are getting caught before they can kill someone.

“But I think the police could do better at solving these murders. I try to call the detectives to get an update on my daughter’s case, and I can’t ever get anyone on the phone.

“This has been the roughest four years of my life.”

10-year trendThe number of homicides in Detroit has fluctuated between 308 and 392 over the past decade.
2013: 333
2012: 386
2011: 344
2010: 308
2009: 364
2008: 342
2007: 392
2006: 354
2005: 374
2004: 387
2003: 369
Source: Detroit Police and FBI statistics

ghunter@detroitnews.com
(313) 222-2134

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140831/METRO01/308310030#ixzz3CLNuGw2f
Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:08 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Detroit ranked third in a list earlier this year by CNN, based on FBI statistics. First on the list was Camden, New Jersey; followed by Flint; Detroit; Oakland, California; St. Louis; Cleveland; Gary, Indiana; Newark, New Jersey; Bridgeport, Connecticut; and Birmingham, Alabama.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Since these rankings are made by 100,000 population, the real question is whether our reduced murder count will reduce our rankings.

Is the administration lying about how much of our population as recently fled Flint? Recent murders and shootings appear to be in the north west area. Is it rue there are now directed patrols in that area?

Do we have enough police to solve these violent crimes?

What role is the Michigan State Police taking?
Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:18 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Detroit Police Chief James Craig: Homicide clearance rate boomed from 11 to 72 percent in two years

Detroit's new Police Chief James Craig was introduced to the media during a press conference with Mayor Bing and Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr Wednesday, May 15. Craig, a native of Detroit is "coming home" after serving in the Los Angeles, Portland and Maine police departments before becoming chief in Cincinnati in 2011. (Tanya Moutzalias | MLive.com)

Gus Burns | fburns@mlive.com By Gus Burns | fburns@mlive.com

on August 22, 2014 at 10:15 AM, updated August 22, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Tanya Moutzalias | MLive.com
DETROIT, MI -- The Detroit Police Department's homicide clearance rate in recent years has been abysmal, but Detroit Police Chief James Craig says things have changed.
Despite solving or closing only 11 percent of homicides in 2012, according to Kevyn Orr's report to creditors last summer, Craig in an online chat with MLive readers Thursday said the figure is now at 72 percent.

"I am excited to report that year-to-date, our homicide clearance rate is at 72 percent, which exceeds the national average," Craig said. " What is different today is our community is regaining confidence in their police department and there is a willingness to report and work with the department in solving these cases.

"Leadership has also played a key role in accountability and the relentless followup required to bring closure to a case."

Craig took charge of the department in July of 2013 and the department closed out last year with a homicide closure rate of 43 percent.

The homicide clearance rate is calculated by figuring the percentage of closed homicide cases compared to homicides committed over a selected period of time.

A case is considered "cleared" once a suspect has been identified or there is a reason that a warrant cannot be issued, for instance the suspect dies or witnesses are unwilling to cooperate.

Although the department hasn't solved 72 percent of the killings in 2014, it's clearance rate is helped by closing cases stemming from previous years.

The number has slipped from the 92.7 percent clearance rate reported by the department in March.

During the same discussion with Craig, he answered several other questions related to his tenure and public safety in Detroit. Here's a recap:

Craig discussing on-body cameras. The department conducted a two-month trial using a select number of officers earlier this year:

We are conducting an evaluation and if we deployed the on-body cameras, Department-wide we would establish policy based on what has worked well in other municipalities. Policy would certainly address privacy issues.

What Craig says makes Detroit unique to other cities he's lived in, including Los Angeles, Cincinnati and Portland, Maine:

"What stands out for me is what I have described as 'a culture of violence.' Specifically crimes committed against seniors and children. It appeared that there had been an acceptance to violence that I had not witnessed in the other cities I worked. Now after 13 months, people are more apt to recognize that violence is not the way life should be and together police and community can change the conversation.
Craig on Detroit's auto theft problem:
This has been a historic concern in the city of Detroit, and I was a victim of auto theft when I worked for the Department in the late seventies. My dad three months ago had his vehicle stolen, so I know first had that this is problem that effects everyone in the region. On the positive side, we have reduced auto theft year-to-date by 20 percent which translates to roughly 1,700 fewer auto thefts. Car jackings have also declined 33 percent or 167 fewer crimes.

Craig on police militarization:

I would offer the view that in Detroit we have a robust Neighborhood Policing Initiative that place focus on neighborhoods partnering with the Department and by working together find solutions to problems. When there is no relationship with the community you serve, problems emerge that reflect the absence of a trust based relationship. Using military type equipment, such as an armored SRT vehicle in barricade suspect, active shooter, or serving warrants at "high-risk" location work to keep officers and the community safe. I refute the notion here in Detroit on the militarization of the police. Rather, police tactics employed are for the sole purpose of ensuring a safe outcome.

Do Detroit visitors have good reason to fear theft or violence against them?

We have seen over the year successful large scale events, Tigers' opening day, the fireworks, Thanksgiving Day parade, and the largest Jazz festival that have occurred without significant problems. Of course, like in any major American city there will be vehicle break-ins around sporting venues, but we have seen reductions and a diverse group of people who visit and engage in Detroit's entertainment. Certainly the perception of violence has plagued this city for too long and it will not change overnight. Certainly people I talk with feel and see a change that has been positive.

Craig's view on use of police helicopters:

I love helicopters as an effective tool for public safety. But as you can imagine, it is a costly tool and given our present financial state, it has been a challenge to deploy the one helicopter that we have in our fleet. We do partner with MSP, Coast Guard, and Immigration when we deploy air support. We are exploring a low cost alternative that can be as effective as a helicopter.

Craig on the scrap metal problem:

I know this has been a big problem in the city. This has been a big concern to the Mayor and we are working in partnership with his staff to abate this problem. Part of focus has been the scrap yards and we have directed enforcement against the scrap dealers. Most in violation, have been outside of the city and so we have partnered with MSP and other law enforcement agencies.

Craig's view on private security, like the extensive program that includes bike patrol, a video monitoring system and even police-like vehicles used by Dan Gilbert's companies:

We work closely with private-sector security as well as other law enforcement agencies in keeping our city safe. I welcome the "additional presence" that private security can provide. As I have stated in the past, we cannot be on every corner of every street in the city. Some neighborhoods in cities I have worked have contracted security services that certainly has been a benefit to the local police departments.
Craig concluded the conversation by naming his favorite thing about being in Detroit:
The turn-around of this iconic city. What a great time to be home serving the people who live, work, and play in Detroit.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:24 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Detroit's new Police Chief James Craig was introduced to the media during a press conference with Mayor Bing and Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr Wednesday, May 15. Craig, a native of Detroit is "coming home" after serving in the Los Angeles, Portland and Maine police departments before becoming chief in Cincinnati in 2011. (Tanya Moutzalias | MLive.com)

Gus Burns | fburns@mlive.com By Gus Burns | fburns@mlive.com

on August 22, 2014 at 10:15 AM, updated August 22, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Tanya Moutzalias | MLive.com
DETROIT, MI -- The Detroit Police Department's homicide clearance rate in recent years has been abysmal, but Detroit Police Chief James Craig says things have changed.
Despite solving or closing only 11 percent of homicides in 2012, according to Kevyn Orr's report to creditors last summer, Craig in an online chat with MLive readers Thursday said the figure is now at 72 percent.

"I am excited to report that year-to-date, our homicide clearance rate is at 72 percent, which exceeds the national average," Craig said. " What is different today is our community is regaining confidence in their police department and there is a willingness to report and work with the department in solving these cases.

"Leadership has also played a key role in accountability and the relentless followup required to bring closure to a case."

Craig took charge of the department in July of 2013 and the department closed out last year with a homicide closure rate of 43 percent.

The homicide clearance rate is calculated by figuring the percentage of closed homicide cases compared to homicides committed over a selected period of time.

A case is considered "cleared" once a suspect has been identified or there is a reason that a warrant cannot be issued, for instance the suspect dies or witnesses are unwilling to cooperate.

Although the department hasn't solved 72 percent of the killings in 2014, it's clearance rate is helped by closing cases stemming from previous years.

The number has slipped from the 92.7 percent clearance rate reported by the department in March.

During the same discussion with Craig, he answered several other questions related to his tenure and public safety in Detroit. Here's a recap:

Craig discussing on-body cameras. The department conducted a two-month trial using a select number of officers earlier this year:

We are conducting an evaluation and if we deployed the on-body cameras, Department-wide we would establish policy based on what has worked well in other municipalities. Policy would certainly address privacy issues.

What Craig says makes Detroit unique to other cities he's lived in, including Los Angeles, Cincinnati and Portland, Maine:

"What stands out for me is what I have described as 'a culture of violence.' Specifically crimes committed against seniors and children. It appeared that there had been an acceptance to violence that I had not witnessed in the other cities I worked. Now after 13 months, people are more apt to recognize that violence is not the way life should be and together police and community can change the conversation.
Craig on Detroit's auto theft problem:
This has been a historic concern in the city of Detroit, and I was a victim of auto theft when I worked for the Department in the late seventies. My dad three months ago had his vehicle stolen, so I know first had that this is problem that effects everyone in the region. On the positive side, we have reduced auto theft year-to-date by 20 percent which translates to roughly 1,700 fewer auto thefts. Car jackings have also declined 33 percent or 167 fewer crimes.

Craig on police militarization:

I would offer the view that in Detroit we have a robust Neighborhood Policing Initiative that place focus on neighborhoods partnering with the Department and by working together find solutions to problems. When there is no relationship with the community you serve, problems emerge that reflect the absence of a trust based relationship. Using military type equipment, such as an armored SRT vehicle in barricade suspect, active shooter, or serving warrants at "high-risk" location work to keep officers and the community safe. I refute the notion here in Detroit on the militarization of the police. Rather, police tactics employed are for the sole purpose of ensuring a safe outcome.

Do Detroit visitors have good reason to fear theft or violence against them?

We have seen over the year successful large scale events, Tigers' opening day, the fireworks, Thanksgiving Day parade, and the largest Jazz festival that have occurred without significant problems. Of course, like in any major American city there will be vehicle break-ins around sporting venues, but we have seen reductions and a diverse group of people who visit and engage in Detroit's entertainment. Certainly the perception of violence has plagued this city for too long and it will not change overnight. Certainly people I talk with feel and see a change that has been positive.

Craig's view on use of police helicopters:

I love helicopters as an effective tool for public safety. But as you can imagine, it is a costly tool and given our present financial state, it has been a challenge to deploy the one helicopter that we have in our fleet. We do partner with MSP, Coast Guard, and Immigration when we deploy air support. We are exploring a low cost alternative that can be as effective as a helicopter.

Craig on the scrap metal problem:

I know this has been a big problem in the city. This has been a big concern to the Mayor and we are working in partnership with his staff to abate this problem. Part of focus has been the scrap yards and we have directed enforcement against the scrap dealers. Most in violation, have been outside of the city and so we have partnered with MSP and other law enforcement agencies.

Craig's view on private security, like the extensive program that includes bike patrol, a video monitoring system and even police-like vehicles used by Dan Gilbert's companies:

We work closely with private-sector security as well as other law enforcement agencies in keeping our city safe. I welcome the "additional presence" that private security can provide. As I have stated in the past, we cannot be on every corner of every street in the city. Some neighborhoods in cities I have worked have contracted security services that certainly has been a benefit to the local police departments.
Craig concluded the conversation by naming his favorite thing about being in Detroit:
The turn-around of this iconic city. What a great time to be home serving the people who live, work, and play in Detroit.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:24 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

News about Detroit Chief On Gangs

bing.com/news

Detroit police arrest 30 in response to believed gang activity on east side

The Detroit News · 5 days ago

Detroit— Detroit police officials promised a gang crackdown in honor of a young woman who died ... in one of the most violent ZIP codes in Detroit. And it left…

Gangs in Detroit are relatively unstructured, says police ...

Gangs in Detroit are relatively unstructured, says police chief hoping to keep it that way
www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2014/07/gangs_in_detroit_are...

Jul 25, 2014 · DETROIT, MI -- Police Chief James Craig knows all about gangs. He spent 28 years in the Los Angeles Police Department before moving on to become chief …
Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:50 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

August 29, 2014 at 7:51 pm
Leonard N. Fleming, George Hunter and Mark Hicks
The Detroit NewsDetroit— Detroit police officials promised a gang crackdown in honor of a young woman who died Wednesday in a hail of bullets.

On Friday, police said Operation Aundrea Garland produced 20 felony arrests, two confiscated handguns and 10 misdemeanor arrests, among other action and discoveries.

“The citizens in the city of Detroit deserve safety and security in their community. To achieve this, the Detroit Police Department launched Operation Aundrea Garland and will continue to purge this infiltration of violence,” read a statement released by DPD officials. “We will not stand idly and tolerate these senseless killings by cowards who have no regard for life.”

Garland was killed Wednesday in what became a flashpoint for a 24-hour period in which three incidents of gunfire in or near the east side left six others wounded in one of the most violent ZIP codes in Detroit. And it left Police Chief James Craig vowing to step up efforts to crack down on gang activity.

“Officers flooded the area of the incident and the entire 9th Precinct in hopes of obtaining pertinent information about the shooting and to possibly identify the suspect (in the Garland case),” Detroit police wrote in an email to The News.

Police had not identified a suspect in Garland’s shooting as of Friday afternoon.

The latest initiative under Operation Restore Order, a series of high-profile raids that started with the Colony Arms Apartments in January, was scheduled Thursday for the 8th Precinct on the west side, but after the quadruple shooting onEdmore,deployment was switched to the 9th Precinct, where the shootings occurred, and renamed “Operation Aundrea Garland,” Craig said.

Other statistics from Operation Aundrea Garland: Three vehicles were recovered and one was impounded; at least 62 vehicles were investigated along with 82 males and 18 females; 184 citations were issued and 2 grams of marijuana was found.

“The neighborhood has been under siege by these gang members, and it’s going to stop,” Craig said Thursday.

Gang violence has persisted in the city, despite Craig’s crackdown — drawing the ire of activists, residents and investigators who are pushing for stronger measures to combat violence

There have been several recent efforts to quash gang activity on the east side, home to several organizations that include the 7 Mile Bloods, the Hustle Boyz and the Hab Squad, which police say is named after Ihab Maslamani, who was convicted in 2009 after kidnapping and killing a man he abducted from an Eastpointe sandwich shop.

On Wednesday night, Aundrea Marie Garland was slain and three others were wounded on the 16600 block of Edmore. Police in Detroit and Harper Woods are investigating whether there’s a connection between those shootings and a shooting at nearby Eastland mall on Wednesday afternoon that injured two people, including a member of the 7 Mile Bloods.

Detroit police also are investigating whether a third shooting early Thursday on East State Fair, in which a 38-year-old man was hurt, is related.

Craig, who visited the Edmore crime scene Thursday, called the shooting gang-related and vowed to apprehend those involved.

“There’s been a dispute with gangs in that area, and our effort in the next few days will be to dismantle these gangs,” Craig said at Thursday’s meeting of the Board of Police Commissioners.

lfleming@detroitnews.com
(313) 222-2620

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140829/METRO01/308290091#ixzz3CLaNh2H8
Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:58 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Local CBS Detroit

Police: Fatal Quadruple Shooting Was Gang Related; Suspects Heavily Armed

August 29, 2014 6:56 AM

DETROIT (WWJ) - Detroit police say a several recent shootings on the east side, including one that took the life of an 18-year-old girl, are gang related — and they’re coming after the killers.

Police Chief James Craig said investigators believe two gangs are responsible for at least three incidents over a 24-hour period that injured six people, some critically, and killed 18-year-old Aundrea Garland.

Garland was killed around 11 p.m. Wednesday at a home in the 16600 block of Edmore, in a neighborhood near 8 Mile and Kelly roads, while hanging around with friends outside. A vehicle with four men inside stopped in front of the house, police said, and one man got out wielding a “high-powered weapon” and opened fire. Witnesses said the rapid shots sounded like they came from a machine gun. Three men — ages 18, 19 and 20 — were injured; two remain in critical condition.

Investigators haven’t yet said how the Edmore shooting might be connected to an incident earlier that day at Eastland Mall, located nearby. In that case, a 22-year-old woman and 30-year-old man, identified as a local rapper, were wounded as they left the mall around 3:30 p.m. near the vacant Sears store. Investigators recovered more than two dozen casings from a large-caliber gun, possibly an assault rifle, and said three or four suspects might be involved.

Police also are investigating whether a third shooting that occurred early Thursday on East State Fair at Kelly Road, in which a 38-year-old man was hurt, is related, the Detroit News reported.

Chief Craig said the gang members are heavily armed and his office is working to dismantle the groups.

“The neighborhood has been under siege by these gang members, and it’s going to stop,” Craig told the newspaper. “We’re going to put forth every ounce of effort to figure out who did this.”

Garland’s mother, Margaret, has a strong message for her daughter’s killers.

“I just want them to know that whoever pulled that trigger last night, I want you to know that you took my baby away from me and I hope you go to hell for what you did to my child,” she said, tears streaming down her cheeks. “You will reap what you sow, you best believe that, you better believe that. And I hope you don’t never have another good night’s sleep because you took my baby. My baby didn’t deserve that. You didn’t even know my child.”

Craig said “the streets are talking” and he hopes someone will give investigators the tip they’re looking for.

Anyone with information is urged to contact police at 313-596-2260 or Crime-Stoppers at 1-800-SPEAK UP.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:01 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Gangs in Detroit are relatively unstructured, says police chief hoping to keep it that way

Detroit chief latin counts.JPG

Detroit Police Chief James Craig, alongside U.S. Attorney Barbara McQuade, FBI agents and other law enforcement officials, announces the arrest of 33 men who authorities believe are involved in a southwest Detroit street gang known as the Latin Counts, in a press conference at McQuade's office July 25, 2014. (Khalil AlHajal | MLive)

Print
Khalil AlHajal | kalhajal@mlive.com By Khalil AlHajal | kalhajal@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on July 25, 2014 at 1:45 PM, updated July 25, 2014 at 5:53 PM

DETROIT, MI -- Police Chief James Craig knows all about gangs.

He spent 28 years in the Los Angeles Police Department before moving on to become chief in Portland, Maine, Cincinnati and Detroit.

Gangs in L.A., Craig said Friday, are highly structured in away that Detroit's gangs are not, and he'd like to keep it that way.

"Here in Detroit, the good news is they're not structured very well," Craig said during a press conference Friday.

"We do not want to see structure take place... As we continue this kind of work, we are ahead."

Craig made the comments while announcing the arrest and indictment of 33 men for crimes local and federal authorities believe are related to the Latin Counts street gang in southwest Detroit.

"We're ahead and I'm really excited about the work we're doing here in Detroit," Craig said.

The arrests were made with the help of a coalition of law enforcement agencies called Detroit One.

"One of the goals of Detroit one was to end the no-snitch culture," said U.S. Attorney Barbara McQuade. "I think we're making a difference. I think we're seeing more cooperation from the community."

Craig said witnesses coming forward to help police with information has grown increasingly common over the last year.

He said the city has seen a 37-percent drop in the occurrence of robberies, 32-percent decrease in carjackings, and a major jump in the number of warrants sought in homicide cases.

"I've see a dramatic change over the year I've been here," Craig said. "At one point, we had an 11 percent clearance rate for homicides... Year to date, we're sitting on a 70 percent clearance rate for homicide."

The Latin Counts arrests included the indictment of Victor Vasquez, 23, of Detroit, charged with using and carrying a firearm in the course of a homicide.

He's accused of involvement in the April 18 killing of Mustafa Al-Yasiry at the Big Apple Market in southwest Detroit.

Vasquez isn't charged with actually shooting Al-Yasiry.

"It alleges simply that Mr. Vasquesz aided and abetted the use of a firearm in that homicide," said McQuade.

Police believe several members of the Latin Counts beat Al-Yasiry and that one shot and killed him.

The indictment describes the Latin Counts as a street gang with branches in Michigan and Illinois.

Michigan branches include the Downriver Mafia Counts, the Toledo Mafia Counts, the Bayside Counts, the Chopin Boy Mafia Counts and the Cadet Mafia Counts, according to the indictment against Vasquez and four other alleged members.

"An individual becomes a Latin Count after they are 'jumped into the gang," the indictment reads. "An individual is 'jumped when several members (between three and five) physically assault the prospective member. The assault lasts between 30 seconds and one minute depending on whether the individual fights back."

New members are expected to to engage in violence, sell drugs, steal guns and intimidate rival gangs to protect territory, investigators allege in court documents.

Gang members identify themselves with red and black clothing and accessories typically tilted to the left, and with symbols including a five-point star, a five-point crown, the letters L.C., five dots, a knight's helmet and the number 5, according to the indictment.

"The Latin Counts have a manifesto that members are required to learn," the indictment reads. "The manifesto explains the significance of their name, symbols, and relationships to each other."

Members pay monthly dues known as a "nation tax," and leadership positions include a president, vice president, minister of finance, minister of communications and a board of directors, investigators allege.

"Other positions include 'pee-wees' (new members that need to prove themselves), enforcers and 'hood chiefs' (leader in particular neighborhoods)," the indictment reads.

"Approximately once a year, high-ranking Latin Counts from the Chicago Latin Counts gang visit the Detroit Latin Counts gang to maintain relationships, provide guidance and socialize."

Officials couldn't say how many members remain on the streets, or how deep an impact on the gang's operations the recent arrests might have.

"We're hopeful that this indictment will deal a serious blow," Craig said. "They have been very active in southwest Detroit for many years... While gangs tend to find replacements when certain members are taken out, I can assure you that this today is going to send a certain message... We're not going to stop there."

Five the men were charged this week with assault causing serious bodily injury in aid of racketeering.

They include Vasquez, Avery Danardis, 20, of Dearborn, Jeffrey Lunsford, 34, of Ecorse, Kyle Voltz, 24, of Lincoln Park, and Jacob Hixson, 20, of Detroit.

Two more, Tim Galvan, 32, and Luke Reardon, 23, both of Detroit, were each charged with being felons in possession of firearms.

Lawyers were yet to be listed for the men in court records.

Another 26 suspects were indicted earlier this year, accused of involvement in a heroin and cocaine distribution conspiracy in southwest Detroit.

"They are individuals who commit violent acts on behalf of the Latin Counts," said McQuade.

Officials credited collaboration between local, state and federal law enforcement agencies for the latest arrests and for the statistical progress.

"Those who continue to engage in this level of violence must know that it's over," said Craig.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:05 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The structure of the Latin Counts bears a resemblance to that of the Insane Spanish Cobras.

Flint lacks the number of officers who were able to get information from the streets. Officers have retired because they were unable to et permission to investigate gang activity they were made aware of. Told to just answer 9-11 calls and forget the criminal activity they were aware of left them disillusioned.

Mike Killbreath had an interview last month about a landlord who kept complaining about an east side drug lord. Police never resolved the problem but the landlords house got shot up. Security cameras tracked the shooters vehicle leaving the drug house to shoot up the landlord's house. The landlord left and is considering dumping his properties since city policies have him already losing money on his investments.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:16 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The structure of the Latin Counts bears a resemblance to that of the Insane Spanish Cobras.

Flint lacks the number of officers who were able to get information from the streets. Officers have retired because they were unable to et permission to investigate gang activity they were made aware of. Told to just answer 9-11 calls and forget the criminal activity they were aware of left them disillusioned.

Mike Killbreath had an interview last month about a landlord who kept complaining about an east side drug lord. Police never resolved the problem but the landlords house got shot up. Security cameras tracked the shooters vehicle leaving the drug house to shoot up the landlord's house. The landlord left and is considering dumping his properties since city policies have him already losing money on his investments.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:16 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

One person in custody after early morning shooting leaves five people injured

A shred of police tape remains tied to a utility pole outside a Flint party store Martin Luther King Avenue near Dayton Street where police say five people were injured during an early morning shootout Thursday, Sept. 4. Four victims are in good condition and one is in serious condition, police say.

Molly Young | myoung7@mlive.com
on September 04, 2014 at 1:00 PM, updated September 04, 2014 at 1:02 PM

FLINT, MI -- One person is in custody after five people were shot outside a Flint party store early Thursday morning, Sept. 4, according to Lt. Brian Cole with the Michigan State Police.

The shooting happened on Martin Luther King Avenue near West Dayton Street in Flint, sending five people to a hospital, where four were listed in good condition and one in serious condition, Cole said.

Kisha Duncan, who has worked at the party store near the scene of the shooting for over a decade, said she wasn't surprised to hear about the incident.

"At nighttime, it's something else around here," Duncan said, adding that she was not working when the shooting occurred. "The way they shoot up and down the streets around here, I'm not surprised. I'm glad no one got killed."

Duncan said she wasn't sure where the shooting happened, other than to say it couldn't have been inside the 24-hour convenience store, since all the doors are locked at that time and sales are made through a bulletproof revolving window.

Justin Sullivan, who lives within sight of the scene, said the shooting doesn't come as a shock to him, either.

"It's normal around here," he said, saying it doesn't scare him. "I just don't go up to the store that late at night."

Sullivan said he was out of town and did not hear or see the shooting.

One man, Eze Ijeh, who was walking near the scene Thursday morning, also said shootings are not uncommon for the area.

"A lot of people get killed over stupid stuff," he said. "It is scary."

The community needs to rebuild a sense of value in human life again, says City Councilman Wantwaz Davis.

"It saddens me that people just don't have value of human life in their heart," Davis said. "They feel killing is a form of resolution, but it's not. It just creates more problems in the families and lives of (both sides)."

Non-fatal shootings are up 1 percent year-to-date from last year, said Flint police Chief James Tolbert.

Tolbert did not comment on the facts of the case, except to say that "there are a lot of nuances to this particular shooting," and that detectives from the Major Crimes Unit are still sorting out details.

Davis said he fears the violence will not stop anytime soon.

"This situation will create even more problems. It will never be resolved because now you have to look at retaliation," he said. "It's just an ongoing cycle that needs to come to an end. I feel sympathy for those who got shot, and I feel sympathy for the people who carry guns and shoot them off with no value of human life."

The investigation is ongoing.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:09 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Non-fatal shootings are up 1 percent year-to-date from last year, said Flint police Chief James Tolbert.

Murders are down but non fatal shootings are up. What does that mean for our rankings based on FBI statistic?

What is the major Crimes Unit and is it Flint Police or State Police? I notice the State police provided the initial comments.
Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:13 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Thanks KiNG 810 Facebook page

KING 810

21 hrs · Edited ·

Flint, MI.

It's a shame we gotta live this way.

http://www.redding.com/news/national/flint-camden-baton-rouge-homicides-down-across-the-country-little-has-changed-in-these-cities

Flint, Camden, Baton Rouge: Homicides down across the country, little has changed in these cities

R.I.P.s are scrawled on the shell of a burned-out brick building, pockmarked by...

redding.com

Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:37 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: