FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Burton-Bentley School election under fire

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

John Gleason's status.

46 minutes ago

Boy we got 'em jumping now. I turned over the election regarding the Bentley School millage to the State police yesterday. Double digit issues involving voters. Multiple ballots,not letting registered voters vote, etc. This morn a parent came in and petitioned to have a recount. The board of canvassers will met on it next week. It is disappointing to hear the Burton officials yelp about this. I can't investigate these issues. I have no investigative authority. That's why I asked the Mi. State Police to look into the allegations.However, I will always stick up for the voter. Whether Flint , Burton or anywhere in Genesee County. Peace to you all.
Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:27 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Gleason was on the Mike Killbreath radio show yesterday and he stated he had 13 e-mails of complaints regarding the election. Burton has a new clerk because of a retirement. The State Police re investigating the complaints.
Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:31 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Recount requested in Bentley School millage vote

Posted: Mar 04, 2014 12:15 PM EST

Updated: Mar 04, 2014 4:27 PM EST

By Randy Conat - bio | email

BURTON (WJRT) -
(03/04/14) - A recount has been requested in the controversial Bentley School millage vote.

The Genesee County Clerk is asking state officials to look into allegations of voting irregularities.

John Gleason says he has received a number of complaints about the vote in the Bentley School District. He has now passed those complaints on to the Michigan State Police.

The State Police will turn the documentation over to the State Bureau of Elections.

A spokesman for the Secretary of State says the department will evaluate the allegations once the State Police have passed along the documentation.

Voters in Burton went to the polls Feb. 25 to decide a $5.2 million bond proposal. The issue went down to defeat by only 16 votes out of the 800 ballots cast that day.

Some who complained to Gleason say they saw voters handed multiple ballots. Others told him they were turned away from the polls and told to come back later.

"When you get multiple complaints, people's rights through their votes were compromised, we have to address them. So we're going to wait until we hear back from the State of Michigan about how we proceed through this," Gleason said.

Burton mayor Paula Zelenko says the complaints have been cleared up and she and the city clerk are satisfied there was nothing inappropriate at the polling place.

"Everything was above board. I find the county clerk's action are bizarre and unusual when he hasn't provided us with the information and he hasn't provided his own office with the information about what the concerns are," she said.

The election results have been certified, but since a recount has been requested, four members of the county Board of Canvassers will meet next week to decide if a recount is justified.
Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:38 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Burton resident demands recount for Bentley schools election

Roberto Acosta | racosta1@mlive.com By Roberto Acosta | racosta1@mlive.com
on March 04, 2014 at 6:53 PM, updated March 04, 2014 at 6:59 PM

BURTON, MI -- A demand for a recount of the failed Bentley schools bond proposal tally now sits with the Genesee County Clerk’s Office, awaiting review by the Board of Canvassers who will determine whether the request moves forward.

bentleyhighschool.jpg
A Burton resident has filed a recount request, alleging errors in connection with a Feb. 25 bond proposal for Bentley schools.
MLive.com File Photo

Clerk-Register John Gleason confirmed the recount had been requested Tuesday, March 4, by Burton resident Robert Gooch. Gleason said he has had other complaints about the election, including at least one voter receiving additional ballots.

In the request, Gooch states, “It is my sincere belief that there were numerous errors committed in the actual electoral process that day.” He lists seven complaints, including “registered voters being turned away and told to come back,” poll workers on cell phones, others apologizing for errors because they were new to the process and discrepancies in the ballot and sign-in numbers for multiple voters.

The Bentley schools bond proposal to raise $5.2 million for improvements to building and athletic facilities in the district failed by a total of 16 votes.

Gleason said he’s turned over the complaints he’s received to the state police and state Bureau of Elections for a further investigation into the allegations, noting the clerk’s office is not an investigative body.

He’s also asked Burton City Clerk Teresa Karsney to file a Freedom of Information Act request to view submitted emails, noting the process may now be hindered due to police involvement. He took exception to her exchanges with clerk employees.

“She’s very discourteous and everyone she’s encountered she’s been gruff to,” he said of Karsney’s alleged behavior over the phone. Karsney has the allegation and says the city has refuted any election mishaps, while questioning Gleason’s allegations.

During a Monday, March 3, meeting, Burton Mayor Paula Zelenko said, “There were no irregularities in the way the election was handled.” She noted Karsney was allegedly told by Gleason "It's none of your business" and a FOIA request would be needed to view the complaints.

Zelenko called Gleason's refusal to turn over the complaints "unusual and bizarre" and expected he would call in Karsney to review them before forwarding items onto any other agency.

"I think it’s political posturing by the county clerk trying to make a name for himself," she said, noting an incident of a voter being turned away was because the person had not voted in two consecutive presidential elections and taken off the voter roll.

City Council President Tom Martinbianco called statements made by Gleason “really out of bounds” in regard to alleged irregularities.

“He was making statements about irregularities when our clerk was there the entire time,” said Martinbianco.

“I want it fixed. I don’t want to fight over it,” Gleason responded Tuesday afternoon. He gave no specific timeline on when the Board of Canvassers would meet to make a final recount decision, but said it would most likely occur next week.
Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:46 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: