FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: SMITH VILLAGE Repayment Tab now over $2 million!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Channel 12 reported the weather is complicating the completion of homes in Smith Village , but many are shaking their head. Other construction crews are accomplishing huge amounts of work and are not bothered by the relatively dry weather. I have driven by Smith Village in the past and the crews were working in mud .

Why was Channel 12 contacted for this story? And why is Lela Mcgee Johnson using her maiden name? The question is what is the real reason for the story which most observers think is bogus and why didn't Channel 12 dig a little further.

Rumors abound that Charles Young and his Operation Unification crew are out for phase 2 of the project. I have heard two separate companies named for the successor- Siwek or the original Smith Village Development. Since both Young and Operation Unification were on the verge of losing properties, it seems logical to replace a partner that may be insolvent.

And if you really look at the homes built on Williams Street it becomes apparent that John Carpenter was right and Williams was not built for homes having their driveways on Williams. The builder has mounded dirt over the curbs so that the unfinished driveways can be used-no curb cuts.

Complaints have been filed with the realtors association, HUD and MSHDA reagrding one homeowners misadventure. After the couple gave up their rental to move into their new home, they discovered the home was vandalized. Not only was the copper missing, but the stainless steel sink was gone. The couple was left without a place to live. They have cancelled their purchase and instead have purchased a home in Grand blanc. They are attempting to get their security deposit back.

One of the couples argument is they were promised security- police patrols and security guards. Having the door kicked in as soon as the house was finished did not make them feel very secure.

Also since the NSP 2 money was sent fom the federal government to the State of Michigan and MSHDA, Channel 12 should have contacted MSHDA and not HUD.

Channel 12 gave many a good laugh!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FLINT (WJRT) -
(03/21/12) - Construction at a housing project near downtown Flint has hit another snag. Smith Village Project leaders say the weather has put work on hold for a few days.

The developers told ABC12 the first few families were supposed to be in their homes in January. Now, more than two months later, they are still waiting.

After months of construction and several setbacks, Smith Village marketing and sales director Lela McGee, says there is another delay in the first phase completion of the project. "Of course when you have changes, you get new things and you get labor pains."

In December, project leaders told ABC12 the first families would move in sometime in January. Would-be residents like James Seale are still waiting. "I thought we would have been but due to the weather it had a lot to do it with it," Seale said.

Wednesday McGee talked about why the project is on hold. "Part of it was weather in terms of drainage because the ground was soft and they were trying to get control of the roads and making sure the drainage and everything was up to par," McGee said.

This is one of several setback for the low income Housing project. In November, city council voted against water and sewer hook ups. A couple weeks later they reversed their decision. In December, the project was in a race against time to get the homes in place by a certain deadline or else they would have to forfeit federal funding.

Work is expected to resume in a couple days and the first families should move in the first week of April. For James Seale, that day can't come soon enough. He says he's waited 44 years for a new home. "When they get that in I'll be happy, I'll be very happy."

Wednesday, ABC12 spoke with HUD, the federal agency funding the project. They say, so far the project has stayed within their guidelines and dates. The next HUD deadline is February of next year - that's when homes of the second phase have to be in place.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:45 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Did anyone hear Rev. Flynn of Foss Avenue Baptist on the Saturday morning talk show when he adddressed his quest for funding fo the North East project? If you did I would like to verify his comments.

Flynn told Brown at Antioch that he was unhappy the north end was not receiving any of the NSP2 money and only the areas near downtown were being targeted for funding.

I am told that he went to the state, who received the funding and distributed it among the communities within the state, and was informed where the money was being spent. I am also told that Flynn stated the north end thugs would vandalize the proposed downtown area projects. That sounds somewhat harsh as the metal thugs come from everywhere, including outside of Flint.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:01 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

It appears that a large number of Flint residents had the same reaction to the Channel 12 story on Smith Village that I had. Channel 12 needs to stop being so gullible and allowing themselves to be used.

It seems to be a common thought that the developer is actually having money woes! Some even claim to know this is true.
Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:04 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Work is expected to resume in a couple days and the first families should move in the first week of April. For James Seale, that day can't come soon enough. He says he's waited 44 years for a new home. "When they get that in I'll be happy, I'll be very happy."

There is a James Seale who lives at 2226 Adams. Taxes on that property have been paid until this year? Is there another James Seale? If not is this person eligible?
Post Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:49 pm 
JCARPENTER
F L I N T O I D

If you will read my forum on "Smith Village Redevelopment by JCarpenter"you will see all of these "snags" "delays" etc etc that I warned everyone about. I have been in contact with one home buyer that was promised occupancy by Dec 30th 2011 and claims that the date was forged to say Jan 31 2012. The couple had to move into their parents house when their lease ran out. The house is still not finished and Mary Taylor Realtor refused to refund their deposit . Mary claims that they picked out carpet color and can not have the deposit. They are going to report her to Lansing. I think there are many more buyers in the same positoin with no homes ready for occupancy. Remember, half the homes must be ready for occupancy by year end and all of them sold. Only a fool would make such a statement and i"ll let you pick the fool. Hint, Just pick anyone from the Walling admn. and you cant go wrong.
Post Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:37 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

MORE WORD ON THE STREET IS EMERGING ABOUT UNPAID BILLS IN SMIITH VILLAGE. ONE CONTRACTOR, INITIALLY HIRED BY THE LAND BANK, IS OWED UPWARDS OF $80,000.

THE FROST SHOULD NOT HAVE AFFECTED THE LAYING OF BRICK IN THE PROJECT. MANY PEOPLE ARE DRIVING BY AND COMMENTING ON THE ABSENCE OF WORKERS .

IS SMITH VILLAGE A BUST ALREADY AND DID WALLING AND EASON FURTHER HARM THE FINANCES OF THE CITY BY THEIR FAILURE TO DO DUE DILIGENCE WHEN THEY HIRED THE DEVELOPER.

OR WERE THERE PROMISED KICKBACKS AND OTHER FINANCIAL ARRANGEMENTS IN THE DEAL?

WHERE ARE THE FEDS IN THIS MATTER? THEY HAVE A CULPABILITY IN ALL OF THIS. I KNOW COMPLAINTS WERE MADE AND THEY SAT IDLY BY AND ALLOWED THIS TRAVESTY TO HAPPEN.
Post Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:30 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

2012 EM 233 4-25-12

BY THE EMERGENCY MANAGER:
RESOLUTION TO ENTER INTO A CONTRACT WITH D1PONIO CONTRACING, INC.
IN AN AMOUNT NOT TO EXCEED $594,567.90.
The City has identified that $805,929.72 is necessary for infrastructure improvements on Avenue A, Root,
Chippewa, and Wood Streets in the Smith Village neighborhood. The work is to be completed by a combination
of contractors and city crews. These infrastructure funds are necessary to support the new housing development
currently underway.
The City previously bid out the work and selected DiPonio Contracting, Inc. to install the infrastructure. DiPonio
Contracting has completed some of the infrastructure work utilizing water and sewer funds. Work was stopped
until additional funding was identified.
The City of Flint allocated Community Development Block Grant funds in its 2011-12 Action Plan of the
Consolidated Plan for the Smith Village infrastructure project.
A new contract is necessary for the work that will now be completed utilizing Community Development Block
Grant funds.
Funds for the Smith Village infrastructure project are set aside in revenue account number 272-748.181-502.748
and expense account number 272-748.181-805.101.
IT IS RESOLVED, that City of Flint officials are authorized to do all things necessary to enter into a contract
with DiPonio Contracting, Inc. in an amount not to exceed $594,567.90 for infrastructure work in the Smith
Village neighborhood with funds to be made available in revenue account 272-748.181-502.748 and expense
account number 272-748.181-805.101.
APPR VED A TO FORM: APPROVED S TO FINANCE:

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Sun May 06, 2012 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun May 06, 2012 7:46 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

yesterday a councilman told me the Genesee County Road Commissioner had issued a "cease and desist" order to the project because of the condition of the county roads.

Odd as it was the Executive Director of the Road Commission was overheard saying he was doing record levels of preparation work early in the year and wondered what the media was talking about. All of the housing units had already been brought in so what heavy trucks would have been involved? The county has no jurisdiction over city streets and no heavy trailers with prefab homes are coming in now.

No construction is underway. There is nothing to prevent the continuation of masonry work in the development.

The EM order doesn't say what portion of the funding is Flint funds. How can a city initiate a project of this magnitude without having all of their funding in place? When was it determined infrastructure imporovements were made.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Tue May 08, 2012 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun May 06, 2012 7:54 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

HOW MANY MARKETING CONTRACTS ARE GOING TO BE ISSUED? OBVIOUSLY THE MARKETING EFFORTS TO DATE HAVE BEEN A FAILURE, AND YET THE JOURNAL ARTICLES HAVE IDENTIFIED MARKETING EFFORTS. IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, THE $80,000 WAS THE TOTAL AMOUNT IDENTIFIED FOR MARKETING.

2012 EM 194 signed 3/27/12

RESOLUTION
To authorize City Officials to enter into an $80,000.00 contract with The Spencer
Agency (Spencer Enterprises, Inc.), for the purpose of providing Marketing
Services related to the Smith Village project. The grant funds are from the
Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP2), and were allocated, through the
Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA).
BY THE EMERGENCY MANAGER
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009 was approved by Congress
on February 17, 2009 and Public Law 111-005 approved funds for the Neighborhood
Stabilization Program 2 for the overall purpose of assisting in the redevelopment of
abandoned or foreclosed homes under ARRA;
MSHDA applied for and was awarded funding and allocated $15,772,344 to the City of Flint
to fund NSP2 Eligible Activities and Costs associated with the stabilization and
redevelopment of the eligible census tracts; and
The MSHDA NSP2 Consortium Funding Agreement No.: NS2-2009-0049 for Flint NSP2
spells out the use of NSP2 funds for Flint; and
Funds are to be made available in expense account number 297-743.100-502.743
(revenue) and 297-743.100-900.100 (expense); and
IT IS RESOLVED, That City officials are hereby authorized to do all things necessary to
enter into an $80,000.00 contract with The Spencer Agency, for the purpose of providing
Marketing Services for the Smith Village project.
APPROVED AS TO FORM: APPROVED AS TO FINANCE:
1feter M. Bade, Chief Legal Officer Je7~A,h’,Fiance Director
EM DISPOSITION:
ENACT FAIL ____ DATED 3 -27-1 2..
Post Sun May 06, 2012 8:07 am 
JCARPENTER
F L I N T O I D

HA HA HA HA HO HO HO HAHAHAHAHA THE JOKE IS ON YOU DAYNE. REMEMBER WHEN I TOLD YOU HOW TO DO THIS PROJECT BEFORE IT WAS EVEN STARTED? TO LATE NOW,KNOW IT ALL. REMEMBER ALL THE JOURNAL STORIES AND CHANNEL 12 STORIES ABOUT HOW YOU WERE GOING TO BUILD ALL OF THESE WONDERFUL HOMES AND HAVE THEM SOLD AND OCCUPIED BY THE END OF DECEMBER? OOPS THEY FORGOT TO ASK YOU WHAT YEAR. WELL WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO NOW? I KNOW LETS BLAME IT ON THE WEATHER,AFTER ALL YOU CANT BUILD IN MICHIGAN IN THE WINTER RIGHT?OR SPRING RIGHT?OR FALL RIGHT? THATS FUNNY, I BUILT OVER A 1000 CONDOS IN THREE STATES YEAR ROUND. I KNOW LETS BLAME IT ON THE FACT THAT WE FORGOT THAT THERE WAS NO INFRUCTURE. FOR YOUR INFORMATION, THAT MEANS NO SEWER, WATER,GAS,ELECTRIC OR EVEN A STREET OR SIDEWALKS.OH HECK LETS JUST WASTE ANOTHER 1,000,000 OF OUR TAX DOLLARS AND WE WILL HAVE THIS PROJECT DONE BY DECEMBER[DONT TELL EM WHAT YEAR].AFTER ALL WE SURE NEED SOME MORE HOMES TO ADD TO THE 10,000 VACANT ONES WE HAVE ALREADY? I GUESS THIS IS WHAT WE GET WHEN WE VOTE FOR SOMEONE WHO LACKS TRAINING,METHODOLOGY AND EXPERIENCE TO DO THE JOB?
Post Sun May 06, 2012 7:40 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I am told that Young has been called in twice and told he must finish Phase One. Phase two will be going to another develoer.

I am also advised Young does not have the money left to finish Phase One. So who is stuck paying the costs to complete this job? These houses are not move in ready and don't even have driveways. Some driveways are mud piled up to the curb so the trucks could drive through the mud to the building site.

Homes were not intended in the plans to be built facing Williams.Some streetsin the project are passable only with four wheel drive,
Post Tue May 08, 2012 8:29 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Smith Village construction delays frustrate Flint homebuyers

Published: Saturday, May 19, 2012, 7:55 AM

By Kristin Longley | klongley1@mlive.com

FLINT, MI -- Dozens of beautiful new homes stand on the site of the New Smith Village housing development -- but they're out of reach for some of the people who agreed to buy them.

Five months after the developer completed 25 houses at Smith Village, some families are still being told their homes aren't move-in ready because roads, sewer connections, porches, landscaping and driveways aren't finished.

It's just the latest in a series of bumps in the road for the government-subsidized housing project, which started 14 years ago but stalled over the course of several city administrations.

For Quintin Evans and his family, the last few months have been nothing short of frustrating. He moved back to Flint in November to help his sister and mother move into his sister's new Smith Village home.

The family was told the women would be able to move in December -- but then December turned into January, then March, then April and now May, he said. The Flint home where the three live is crowded with boxes of belongings that have been ready to move for months.

"And they're still not getting any answers," said Evans. "It's taken a total toll on this family. It wasn't fair to tell them the house would be ready at this time and it wasn't."

Flint City Councilman Bernard Lawler, who represents the city's 5th Ward where Smith Village is located, is holding a news conference Monday to highlight the delays and try to get some answers for the families.
Lawler said the lack of communication and transparency from emergency manager Michael Brown's administration has hindered the developer's progress on the project. He said it's the city's responsibility to complete the main infrastructure, such as roads and sewer lines, so people can move into the houses.
L

"That's what they need to respond to," Lawler said. "To go out there now, you'll see some activity happening, but that's just happening yesterday. There's been two to three months with no activity."

He also questioned why Brown's office sent out a request for proposals for a new developer .

Tracy Atkinson, Flint's director of community and economic development, said the bid request was sent because Brown is "exploring all options" for city projects, including Smith Village.

She said the city is doing everything it can to keep the project on track, and her office has arranged meetings between the developer and banks, the county and other entities.

"The developer owns those homes," Atkinson said. "The city has been very involved with the developer over the past six months to get the units finished and sold... We've been at the table more than you would expect."

Lela McGee-Johnson, spokeswoman for developer Smith Village Construction Services, declined to comment Friday for this story, but said more information would be available at the press conference.

In total, 83 homes are supposed to be built by 2013 at Smith Village. The developer was brought on by Flint Mayor Dayne Walling's administration to finish the languishing project under threat of penalty from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Both Atkinson and Lawler said the first priority has to be getting the houses built and getting buyers into their homes.

"We have families who are upset because they're on delay," Atkinson said. "We feel their frustration."

Evans said he hopes the city and developer can resolve their issues so his sister, Alice Evans, can move into her house -- the first home she's ever owned.

"I've been inside my actual home and I really want it to be my home," she said. "The finger-pointing just needs to come to a stop."

Whatsome May 19, 2012 at 9:08AM

Come on Mr. Lawler don't put this on Mr. Brown
You know that Mr. Charles Young is the one (You guys keep using him on all NSP2 projects)
Remember you voted for him as the New Developer
So here we go no houses but he got our money BECAUSE of your vote
He is bonded and insured so whats the problem he said he loves the city so work through it -- dont stop
oh I forgot you (oops) he needs his money

I TOLD YOU SO

ic23b May 19, 2012 at 9:30AM

14 year on-going scam of Federal tax dollars. Nothing will happen until they get close to their next deadline. Stupidly at it's finest.

B17Bomber May 19, 2012 at 9:34AM

are these HUD Homes? if so why are these folk's complaining about something that they are going to get for free? never happy even when you are getting everything for nothing in life. GFYS.

vagaholic May 19, 2012 at 10:42AM

The city should provide an accounting of every cent that has been spent on this project and every entity who received the funds. There is a glaring suspicion of impropriety here. This whole mess reeks of backroom deals, kickbacks, and cronyism. The citizens of Flint (and all US taxpayers) should be livid. Perhaps it is time to ask 20/20 or some other investigative journalism program to get to the truth so that culpable entities face scrutiny and maybe even prosecution.
Post Sat May 19, 2012 10:00 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

1. The infrastructure should have been in place first. Walling and Eason screwed this up and not Brown.

2. Brown asking for proposals for a developer is the correct route for HUD.
This should have happened the first time.

3. The lawsuit from Eason and Walling changing the contractor, enabled by a weak city council, is still ongoing in Judge Yuilles Court .

4. Is there a relationship between lawler and Charles Young Jr. that should be explored. Young never met HUD or Home Rule Act criteria for these many contracts he has.
Post Sat May 19, 2012 10:06 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

IN MY OPINION YOU CAN BLAME MSHDA, HUD AND THE OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL (FBI TOO) AS THEIR FAILURE TO RESPOND TO COMPLAINTS HAVE ALLOWED THIS PROJECT TO COME O IT'S ULTIMATE CONCLUSION BY THEIR FAILURE TO ACT ON COMPLAINTS MADE TO THEIR AGENCIES.

BUT IT WILL THE CITY OF FLINT THAT HAS TO ULTIMATELY PAY FOR THIS DEBACLE.
Post Sat May 19, 2012 10:10 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

tdimhcs May 19, 2012 at 11:40AM

Smith Village NEEDS to be investigated!!

Mayor Walling, you should have consulted with an expert (i.e. Mr. Carpenter) and many of these problems could have been avoided.

This smells of improper use of federal dollars!

cleartheair May 19, 2012 at 11:43AM

Will the Flint Journal do an accounting? The way it looks is that Smith Village will cost an additional 12 million dollars that the City Of Flint will have to pay for, increasing our debt once again.

Is there anyone at the Journal who can do anything but just tweet all day? You people do not seem to be able to get more than a paragraph out in one sitting, Do some investigative journalism, and find us the facts.

Scrap this project now, and end the cities misery,

valtwin May 19, 2012 at 11:45AM

Hey Walling!!! Why not set an example and buy a house there and move your family in?

Phillip LaBarge May 19, 2012 at 11:49AM

Smith Village the fiasco that keeps on going and going and going .....
Smith Village is mismanagement. It is the Walling cherry on top of the ice cream sunday of mismanagement. This is what you get for electing a life guard.

superwrench May 19, 2012 at 12:37PM

Flint has a LOT of nice vacant homes, that are just waiting for owners. It would certainly be cheaper & faster to put fresh paint and appliances in a good, structurally sound home , than build new ones. Just how long will it be before Smith Village be full of burned out, boarded up homes, just like so many of the subsidized projects in Flint? SMITH VILLAGE IS A WASTE OF MONEY!!!

48162 May 19, 2012 at 1:52PM

This is REALLY old news - been going on for a long, long time. How about some investigative reporting, Kristin?

Man Up May 19, 2012 at 2:03PM

Hey Mr. Lawler,
I got some answers for you along with the other good posters on this. One this project was stupid ideas that made zero financial sense in the first place. The city cannot afford to subsidize a developers bad building idea. There are plenty of depressed properties that don't need infrastructure that could be turned into low income housing on a lower budget. Why another contractor? Oh maybe because the numbers that have been floated in the news are outrageous, and this is public money not private money. The developer can cry his eyes out, but he is looking for a hand out from the city/residents/tax payers. BOO HOO is a good answer too. This highlights the folly of this whole thing, and this development will cost Flint's taxpayers for years to come. You have to fund the infrastructure not and in the future. Who maintains it? Who builds the needed water/sewer treatment capacity to handle these new homes? Someone please tell Bernard Lawler that the city is in a bit of cash crunch right now. I have been in the development business for over 15 years, and I can tell you that this is a non-issues if this is a profitable development. The developer here wants to make a profit with no outlay of cash, and they want to have all of Flint subsidize their bad idea and profit for a bad idea. Few places in the US are developing raw land right now. WHY? There are a glut of vacant homes #1, and there has been a glut of already developed lots before the bubble burst in most parts of the US. Then there is that sticky issue of prices collapsing below the sales price that they want to sell Smith Village for. That is fiscal issue that is the foundation to the ruin of this entire thing. superwrench is already figuring it out; the end game leads to the thing being a mess.
Post Sat May 19, 2012 1:26 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: