FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint Governance-Bankert, Earley v Council

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Terry Bankert

6 hrs · Flint, MI

The trilogy of change in Flint continues to come together . That is 1. Creation of a master plan. 2.change the city zoning to match the priorities of the master plan. By ballot form a charter commission fill it with the leaders of step 1 &2 use the charter commission to write a new charter to reflect the values of the master plan and change Flints form of government from the failed strong mayor to city manager .

By nature those who gained power to do step 1 continue in 2. And are organizing to elect themselves to control step three. All is being done in consort with the consent and direction of the emergency manager who answers to the Governor who is an friend of the Uptown Six a private corporation that effectively owns downtown and is re shaping it to match the vision if the Mott Foundation. This is downtown vs the neighborhoods and they are having their way . Trickle down revitalization of Flint. What helps downtown will trickle down to the neighborhoods . The only way to work for neighborhood revitalization is to back nbh candidates for the Flint Charter Commission.

Bethany Hazard They have worked so hard on this I have lost every friend I had in my neighborhood. I got worse when Walling became mayor. I realized how bad it was around here when I got sick and my car broke. The only shop that would fix my car was way out on Sa...See More

5 hrs · Like
Bethany Hazard Now the cut off limit is 22 thousand to get a break on the fees for water. I makes lot less than that. I wanted to try in hang in here, and not move like all my friends. When I brought my mail in, I opened the letter from the city and it was a refusal letter for water help. With my swollen knee and sickly self, I sat down and cried. Now, I really realize I am not wanted here and this city will continue to drive anyone out who mows tbere grass and picks up trash here. They would rather have rentals with drug dealer in them and people who shoot guns than my friends who mowed and kept up their yards. once nice homes have turned to trash. The city knows that this landlord is a slumlord and rents habitually to drug dealers and recently there was gunfight across from me. This leads me to believe this landlord is getting a piece of the dealers pie. The city know this landlord is out to destroy neighborhoods and let him buy up over 300 houses. So I going to surmise, and think the city is in bed with this landlord. I am looking for a house attorney.. I am not wanted here anymore. I AM PAYING a fortune for a house I'd be lucky to get 10 grand for. THIS IS WANT WALLING IS ALWAYS SAYING, SHRINK THE CITY. CONGRATS TO HIM, HE HAS MEANT HIS GOAL. AT LEAST THEY COULD GIVE US A FAIR PRICE FOR OUR HOMES IF THEY WANTED US OUT SO BAD, If a new homeower moves in they tell me they get the houses now for 10 grand and one told me an an owner wanted out so bad that he took 2 grand. I am the last one left that picks up the overpriced getto stores trash, I am the last one left here that pics up trash and glass in the street. HATE TO SEE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE WHEN I'M GONE.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:22 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Bethany is a good person who has faced many obstacles. She and her daughter bought this home because her daughter loved Flint. Her daughter was diagnosed with cancer and the expenses depleted her finances. She has sacrificed so much since her daughter's death to keep the home she loved, but the toll on her health and sanity is tremendous.

If her income is below the city guideline, why are they refusing to help her and how any others are being denied?

She had some unnecessary expenses during her daughter's cancer treatment. I could not believe she had to pay $500 ambulance fees to transfer her daughter from one McLaren building across the street to another for every treatment.
Post Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:31 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

August 6, 2014
Scott Kincaid, President
Flint City Council
1001 5. Saginaw St.
Flint, MI 48502

RE: Request for Special Council Meeting

Dear President Kincaid:

This letter is in response to the City Council’s request for a special City Council meeting to address the 2014 Final Report from the Flint Blue Ribbon Committee on Governance. As you know, this matter was on the agenda of the regularly scheduled Flint City Council meeting on Monday, July 28, 2014 as a special order from me as Flint Emergency Manager. Several members of the Blue Ribbon Committee along with Chairman Robert Wesley were in attendance, in addition to Mayor Walling and Elizabeth Murphy from the administration. The purpose of the special order was for the chairman and the committee to engage the Council in meaningfi.il dialogue, and to solicit productive input relative to the Blue Ribbon Committee’s recommendations. Moreover, the meeting was scheduled consistent with my 7 Point Transition Management Plan as it relates to the matter of Governance.

Unfortunately, the intent of the meeting was either lost or totally ignored by a majority of Council members resulting in a squandered opportunity for constructive engagement, in favor of personal attacks directed towards me and members of the administration; irrational and politically motivated criticisms of Governor Snyder; and most egregious, unfair, and obnoxious comments about the volunteers who served on the Blue Ribbon Committee. Should anyone dispute my account of the meeting, I invite their attention to the video recording of the three and one half hour
proceeding found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9wLNtEtIwc.

Such a review clearly illustrates what was truly a sad and embarrassing display for the residents of this community who so desperately need sound elected leadership on these critical issues if Flintis ever to sustain long-term financial and organizational solvency. So far, that has been achieved only through multiple state interventions. Ignoring the substance of the Blue Ribbon Committee’s
recommendations, while individual Council members engaged in verbally abusive grandstanding, and levying ill-advised and unfounded political attacks, does not make a very compelling argument for a return to home rule order of any kind.
I would point out that the individuals who served on the Blue Ribbon Committee were volunteers, the majority of whom are City of Flint residents. They all donated extensive amounts of their personal time to grapple with the complex issue of governance, which has been a key dysfunctional component in Flint’s two experiences with state receivership. Over the past six months their work
consisted of better than twenty-four hours of meetings, and ten hours of public workshops, spread over three separate meetings. Moreover, a core group of five to six committee members spent several hours planning and hosting the public workshops. Finally, another group of five to six members spent a considerable amount of time editing, reviewing and commenting on the final draft of the report. They were willing to participate in this difficult task because of their dedication
to the City of Flint and a deep concern about its future. I have said repeatedly that a third financial emergency in Flint should be avoided at all costs.

The Committee recognized the seriousness of this issue as was evidenced by their commitment to the project. It’s time that the City Council did as well. The opportunity for Council to engage on this issue occurred on Monday, July 28, 2014. Council failed to do so. Therefore, I see no useful purpose being served by rescheduling a special meeting just to have a repeat of the same indignant and downright rude treatment of staff and citizens. Given some of the antics I have witnessed over the past few months, I remain unconvinced that the same council members’ approach to a substantive discussion would be any different
irrespective of how many meetings are held.

For the above reasons, Council’s request for a special meeting concerning this matter is hereby denied. If there are legitimate issues council members wish to be considered as the process moves forward, put them in writing directly to me and I will be happy to review them.

Sincerely,
Darnell Earley, ICMA-CM, MPA /
Emergency Manager
Flint, MI
cc Wayne Workman, Michigan Department of Treasury
Randall Byrne, Michigan Department of Treasury
Edward Koryzno, Michigan Department of Treasury
Fred Headen, Michigan Department of Treasury
Terry Stanton, Michigan Department of Treasury
Dayne Walling,
Post Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:37 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint emergency manager blasts City Council for 'obnoxious' behavior, denies meeting request

Ron Fonger | rfonger1@mlive.com By Ron Fonger | rfonger1@mlive.com
on August 07, 2014 at 8:25 AM, updated August 07, 2014 at 8:50 AM

FLINT, MI -- The majority of City Council members were so "egregious, unfair and obnoxious" the first time they met to discuss a report from the Flint Blue Ribbon Committee on Governance that they won't get a second chance.

That's the word from Emergency Manager Darnell Earley, who Wednesday, Aug. 6, denied council's request for a special meeting to discuss the report again.

Because Flint is in a financial emergency, and Earley has been appointed to run the city's affairs, he controls when council meets and what subjects appear on its agenda.

"The opportunity for Council to engage on this issue occurred Monday, July 28, 2014," Earley said in a letter to City Council President Scott Kincaid. "Council failed to do so. Therefore, I see no useful purpose being served by rescheduling a special meeting just to have a repeat of the same indignant and downright rude treatment of staff and citizens.

"Given some of the antics I have witnessed over the past few months, I remain unconvinced that the same council members' approach to a substantive discussion would be any different irrespective of how many meetings are held," the letter says.

Council members during that July 28 meeting chastised the way Earley convened the Blue Ribbon Committee, and lashed out at committee chairman Robert Wesley, who volunteered to take on the job.

The committee's report recommended shifting to a council-manager government, with an elected mayor and appointed city manager, city council changes considered by a charter commission, along with ongoing training for all council members.

The report calls for charter amendments to be put before voters on the November ballot.

Earley invited Kincaid to watch video of the meeting, which stretched on three hours and 30 minutes, calling it "truly a sad and embarrassing display for the residents of this community who so desperately need sound elected leadership on these critical issues if Flint is ever to sustain long-term financial and organizational solvency.

"So far, that has been achieved only through multiple state interventions," the letter says.

Kincaid declined comment on the letter, saying it has yet to be distributed to all council members.
Post Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:00 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Comments on this subject were as controversial as the meeting. The whole Emergency Manager Act has created a division that continue to erupt!

Nayyirah_Shariff_333

Darnell Earley has the power under PA 436 to implement a model charter without the vote of the people. I think the only reason he hasn't done it yet is because he has his marching orders to co-op buy in and use the voters as political cover

onlythetruthin2012

Mr. Paxton, you just don't get it, do you? The question regarding the Charter Commission is going to be on the ballot, so the residents can vote on whether they think it's necessary, or not. Then and only then, there would be an election, in which the voters of the COF will have the opportunity to vote on who sits on this Revision. Commission. Darnell Earley isn't obligated to engage the Council at all. In fact, both Mike Brown and Ed Kurtz didn't give the Council the time of day. So I suggest, if you want to keeping pontificating about about what's wrong with the EM, you need to check your facts!!!

Dean Paxton

@onlythetruthin2012 I think we're both talking about the same thing. I don't want Lansing to put charter revision on the agenda. I want the people of Flint to make that decision.

Dean Paxton

What is painfully obvious and missing in the sentiment here, is that the EM doesn't need the council, or mayor to make any decisions.

He sent people to explain and discuss the plan to the mayor and council as a show of a minimum amount of due diligence. So that later, perhaps in some court, "open dialog" would be "covered."

He does not require the mayor, council, or citizens opinions and feedback, at all. Yet, in writing and in the press, he has publicly criticized them for having a negative opinion?

Again we all lose.

jkb01

Why can't City Council visit other local governments within Genesee County and see how meetings should be run. All this council wants to do save a few members is grand stand and pander all in the name of "the people". If half their time was spent actually operating as a true council instead of fighting this cause or that cause or pandering to "the people", they might actually be able to do something productive and possibly even govern the city so and EFM isn't needed. Well, I guess its time for me to wake up from my dream!

onlythetruthin2012

Mr. Paxton, you need to check your facts before you engage your fingers. The Blue Ribbon Committee has only 3 members that aren't residents of the City of Flint. The next problem I have is your comment regarding Mr. Early's unwillingness to work with the Flint City Council. On March 24, 2014, Mr. Early presented a 7 point plan to the City Council, which was an outline of steps that needed to take place before the City could be returned to local control. This plan would have allowed for the City Council to work with the EM, to achieve that goal. Instead of embracing the plan, the City Council stonewalled the EM, by first postponing the vote for 2 weeks, then finally agreeing to accept this plan on April 7, 2014.

There have been several instances that the EM has asked for the Council's assistance to work with him to achieve the ultimate goal of returning the City to local control. Every time he's asked, he's been attacked, by the majority of this Council, so who's got the problem?

Dean Paxton

@onlythetruthin2012

Why would he do any of that? He isn't required, by law, to do any of that. Because he's a great guy? Because he cares what you, I, or anyone in city government thinks? Not at all... and in reality he has done nothing to incorporate anyone's opinion, except Lansing.

That's the problem that I have. And it's not personal, or against Mr. Earley. It's with the law itself.

Dean Paxton

Charter revision is needed, but within the boundaries of democracy. Not as a mandate from a Governor, or outside parties who will not live with the outcomes of their decisions. When you suspend democracy, people become angry. It's pretty simple.

That's the way the City Council always rolls. I'd call them a bunch of circus animals but I don't want to insult circus animals. They need to be disbanded and the City run by a Manager. If the people of the City of Flint are allowed to elect their leaders, you'll get more of the same: Incompetent, boorish, uneducated fools that cannot even run their own lives much less a city.

justicesearc

Since the City Council and the Mayor contributed to the problems, what makes anyone think they have the best interest of Flint in mind. Perhaps an outside person should make the changes needed - and the voters can then choose the old way or the new way.

TheStruggle

The meeting was great! No, we don't agree with the Blue Ribbon Committee or Darnell Earley! He is like Burger King, "Have it your way"!

Dean Paxton
This is a truly an unfortunate situation, especially for people. I watched the entire meeting, what I witnessed was frustration and anger over the exclusion of the council and citizens in the process. The EM decided to establish a mechanism, consisting of mostly non-Flint residents, and excluded most of the citizens and government from his process, which is voluntary, it's not his responsibility to reshape government and change the charter of this city. That is something that is purely outside democracy, in my opinion.

Now it just got worse.

It's a shame some peaceful dialog could not have happened, it would seem both sides of that table are unable to resolve differences. To me, it would seem that EM is disinterested in collaboration and the council has become increasingly frustrated, to put it mildly.

The entire situation is beyond regrettable, it's shameful and needs national attention.

Charter revision and government restructuring needs to come from the citizens of Flint, not Lansing.
Post Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:10 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

AC Dumas added 3 new photos.

16 mins ·

I was there! Pictures of Emergency Manager Darnell Earley's illegal Blue Ribbon Committee. They are: Jim Richardson with black jacket (2nd row), lady with cream jacket and lime green dress (Don't know her name), BRC Chairman Bob Wesley and Mayor Walling. Lady sitting next to Wesley is the Assistant Emergency Manager for the City of Flint! Councilman Nolden is at his seat next to Councilperson Jackie Poplar who gave an excellent presentation! All the Council members express their conviction during this meeting! Where are the "several" illegal appointed members! Where was Democratic Commissioner Brenda Clack that voted for this madness? Our elected officials that "We the People" elected need to held accountable! What's your thoughts? Join the conversation and tune in to the "Truth shall make you free" broadcast with your host AC Dumas tomorrow morning on Flint's gospel radio station, WFLT 1420 AM from 9:30-10AM. This is a call in show 810-239-5733 and your calls are certainly welcome! Thanks for listening!
Post Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:22 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Terry Bankert

17 hrs · Flint, MI

On Wednesday 08/13/14 at 6 pm 1714 Oklahoma Flint Mi. in the basement studio of Flint Talk Radio the First meeting of the Facebook group "Flint Citizens committee on Governance" will meet live stream in the studio. If you like transparency it is the order of the day. This meeting will be a discussion on my concept of the Flint Trilogy of Change and what actions can we collectively begin. I will run it as a GA.
Post Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:21 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

EME 3382014
6/25/2014
(Changes proposed to Flint City Charter and Code before Blue Ribbon committee reveals recommendations. not enacted)

ORDINANCE NO. _________
An ordinance to amend Chapter 2,
“Administration,” of the Code of the City of
Flint by deleting %2-39 through 2-42.
IT IS HEREBY ORDAINED BY TIlE
PEOPLE OF THE CITY OF FLINT:
Sec. 1. That the provisions of Chapter 2,
Administration, be revised to delete %2-39
through 2-42, which shall be deleted in its
entirety as follows:
ARTICLE VIII. RESERVED
DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNITY
DEVELOPMENT
§2 39 CREATED.
A Department of Community
Development is hereby created in accordance
with Section 1 203 of the Charter of the City of
Flint.
§ 2 40 APPOINTMENT OF DIRECTOR OF
DEPARTMENT.
C
divisions within the Department and to
appoint all subordinates and employees
within the Department pursuant to
personnel policies of the City developed
pursuant to the provisions of Section 1
302 of the Charter.
(e) May, with the approval of the
Mayor, adopt rules for the administration
of the Department governing all personnel
policies not governed by the provisions of
AFFAIRS.
42 MANACEMEN’T OF FISCAL
The management of the fiscal affairs of
said Department of Community Development
shall be the responsibility of the Director of
Finance of the City of Flint.
Sec. 2. This ordinance shall become
effective immediately upon publication.
Adopted this ______ day of
The head of the Department of
Community Development shall be known as the
Director of Community Development and shall be
appointed by the Mayor with the approval of the
City Council and shall serve at the pleasure of the
Mayor.
§ 241 DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
OF DIRECTOR.
The Director of the Department of
Community Development shall have the
following duties and responsibilities:
APPROVED AS TO FORM:
~kI(
Pet# M. Bade, City Attorney
EJDISPOSITION: ~ raE 3siaoiq
ENACT
FAIL
IL
(a) The administration of Federal
and State programs involving housing
(except public housing); community
development, renewal, preservation and
conservation activities; relocation
services; social sen’ices delivery
programs; and such other Federal and
State programs as may be designated by
the Mayor or Federal statute;
(b) Shall, with the approval of the
Mayor, have the authority to establish
REFER TO COUNCIL _________
Darnell Earley, Emergency Mana~r
SAOrdinance Files\Article VIII Deletion of Department of Economic 5/7/14
Post Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:28 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

East Village Magazine is now on line if you can't find a copy of the July 2014 edition.

The lengthy editorial describes in detail how the Central Park residents are upset with City hall administration about the proposed lnd use and zoning designations in the newly adopted Master Plan.

According to the editorial the zoning changes may attempt to eliminate the neighborhood cul-de-sacs. The community is also upset about the proposed rezoning of the community bounded by Crapo, Court, Chavez and Kearsley from B-1 (two family) to Mixed Residential (MR-2).

"The neighborhood, adjoining the Flint Cultural central, contains single-family, two family and grandfathered-in multifamily buildings.

This proposed zoning does not allow single and two-family dwellings outright , but encourages retail conversions and construction. The MR-1 mixed-residential uses similar language as MR-2 and has the same problems as MR-2."
Post Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:06 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The draft master plan proposes to open up the cul-de-sacs. I remember this area fighting for those cul-de-sacs to eliminate crime accessibility and heavy traffic in the area. Residents in the area oppose the proposed land use recommendations which run contrary to what the residents to what residents believe is needed.

The editorial by Gary Custer further details the history of the area, designated an Urban Renewal District in 1967 and 68, and the residents battle to keep the neighborhood a viable entity . Custer states the residents attended thousands of meetings, and battled government and business entities that threated the best interests of the neighborhood.
The article cites the loss of the manning Street Historic District for a parking lot as one of their few losses and an action residents believed to be illegal.
Post Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:16 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Central Park Victories:

*East Street Park established as a buffer to Interstate 475 and its service drives-despite pressure for a strip mall-and the removal of a rundown gas station and auto repair to add land to the park.

Note - the land was contaminated and needed remediation

* Between 1976 and 1985, the neighborhood parkways had their trees restored

* Kearsley Street was greatly improved when utility lines went underground, new parkway trees were planted and pedestrian lighting was installed.

*"The neighborhood was down-zoned fro C-1(multifamily, low density) to B-1 (two family) residential, preventing further breakups of older homes or their use as fraternity houses and other high-density living units."

* East Villge magazine was created ion July 3. 1976 to give the residents a voice and to make them informed about threats to their quality of life.

* Across from Central High School, a violent youth hang out was removed and replaced with apartments.

* 45 years of neighborhood cleanups

* the prevention of numerous attempts at illegally transforming residential properties into commercial use.

* Maintained the residential parkways when Crapo was widened for school bus parking.

*""two local historic districts and two national historic sites designated. The entire neighborhood has recently been designated a potential state historic district by the State of Michigan."

* In the last 40 years the community has developed and adoted three neighborhood master plans.

* The community has eliminated drug activity when it has occurred.
Post Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:38 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Victories continued:

* The Court Street Village non-profit and residents created a neighborhood youth program that involves youth in positive activities that includes trips, graffiti removal and cleanups.

* unsightly parking lots have been screened

* Four w single family homes an a duplex have been constructed on vacant lots.

* The installation of the cul-de-sacs reduced the traffic on Second Street from 4500 per day to 450 by blocking traffic through the neighborhood by cars attempting to gain access to Court or Kearsley Streets

* " Commercial activity has been reduced from more than 20 businesses, antithetical to a residential neighborhood, to a single attorney's office on the edge of the neighborhood at Court an Pierson streets."

* "The derelict John's Mini mart and a fire damaged house next door were replaced by a well maintained lawn where a neighborhood picnic is held each year."

* "Other properties, damaged by fire or neglect, were rmve and replace with well maintained foliage to prevent blight in the 45 years. The Land Bank is now planning to remove a derelict house at Crapo and Second Street this year.

Post Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:30 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: