FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint: Violence and high water costs cause resident loss
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Violence, $83,000 water bill force owner to close Flint mobile home park

Gary Ridley | gridley@mlive.com By Gary Ridley | gridley@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on December 19, 2013 at 6:00 AM, updated December 19, 2013 at 6:10 AM

FLINT, MI -- The owner of a Flint mobile home park says he is closing the facility over his concerns of violence in the area and his inability to pay a growing water bill.

Cass Ramaj, owner of the Sunset Village Mobile Home Park at Dort Highway and Lippincott Boulevard, said he has stopped collecting rent and plans to close the park by the end of December. Ramaj said theft and scrapping is out of hand in the park and the seemingly constant sound of gunfire makes it too much of a liability to allow residents to continue living there.

"I can't have anyone getting killed," Ramaj said. "It just isn't worth it."

The park is located on the border of the neighborhood that a report by NeighborhoodScout.com listed earlier this year as the 19th most dangerous in the nation. The neighborhood east of Dort Highway between Lippincott Boulevard and Atherton Road experiences 70 violent crimes per 1,000 residents and there is a 1 in 14 chance of a resident there becoming a victim of violent crime, according to the report.

Robert Morrison, 55, is one of the few people still in the park. Morrison agreed that crime has taken over the area around his home of 11 years.

"I hear gunshots out here," said Morrison while sitting in his tidy home Wednesday, Dec. 18. Morrison said that he's been able to avoid being victimized by the increasing crime.

Morrison said he had a feeling the park was closing about two months ago, before Ramaj told the residents they would have to leave.

"There was no one in the office," Morrison said. "There's no maintenance."

The park now sits mostly vacant. Some of the trailers have been visibly picked over by scrappers, leaving behind only empty shells with missing doors and windows. Pink insulation from a trailer covers the drive near the shuttered office of the park at the entrance from Lippincott Boulevard.

The outside walls of one trailer are completely gone, with just the structural skeleton of the former home remaining. Footprints are scattered throughout the snow in the park, going in and out of the vacant trailers.

"The theft is enormous," Ramaj said.

Ramaj said it has been nearly impossible for him to continue paying bills at the park since so few renters live there. Ramaj said that nearly a dozen people lived at the park but there are only a couple still there.

"We can't even collect enough rent to pay a quarter of the water bill," Ramaj said.

Flint City Council President Scott Kincaid said the lack of renters and increases in the city's water and sewer rates are likely driving the park's closure.

"The real reason they're closing is they haven't paid their water bill," Kincaid said.

Kincaid sued the city after Emergency Manager Michael Brown raised water and sewer rates 35 percent in 2011. Kincaid said the water rates, and fees charged by the city to use the services, are excessive and are forcing businesses and residents out of the city.

City records show the park owes nearly $83,000 in sewer and water fees, an amount that Ramaj said he mostly inherited from the park's previous owner. More than $28,000 of the debt stems from service charges rather than usage. City records show the last payment on the debt was roughly $3,200 in early July.

"This is just another example of the increase of the past emergency manager," Kincaid said.

Records show that Ramaj also owes more than $14,000 in taxes on the property.

Ramaj said he previously sold the park to another owner but bought it back about 18 months ago after the owner fell so far behind on the water bill that the city shut off service to the park's residents.

"They were without water for 24 hours," Ramaj said.

Ramaj said he is doing everything he can to help residents find a new place to live, including working with the owner of a nearby Burton mobile home park to relocate residents.

Bruce Stein, owner of Twin Meadows Mobile Home Park, said he is helping Sunset Village residents move to his facility at Bristol and Fenton roads.

Stein said his staff has been able to move some trailers from Sunset Village into his park and has provided homes for Sunset Village residents whose trailers could not be moved.

"We're just doing what we can, where we can," said Stein, noting that he is offering special rental rates to Sunset Village residents to help ease the transition.

Morrison said his trailer is going to be moved to Twin Meadows and he is looking forward to life in his new neighborhood.

However, Twin Meadows hasn't been without its own recent problems.

The property still shows scars from more than a dozen arson fires that destroyed homes in the park from September 2011 to spring 2012. Two men have been convicted in the blazes.

A water main was connected to the park in July 2012 after residents were forced to live off of bottled water because arsenic levels in water from wells at the park was found to be roughly four times the allowable federal limit.

But, Morrison said he understands the problems the park is facing and is appreciative of the effort Ramaj has put forward to help residents find a new place to live.

"I think they're being fair," Morrison said. "They actually treat us pretty good. "

Ramaj said he hopes to sell the property but he has not yet identified any buyers.

"I just don't know," Ramaj said of the future of the park.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:32 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Several Flint apartment complexes have been torn down in recent years. The vacant and vandalized apartments near the Perani Center need to come down. The apartments near Pierson and Cloverlawn have a sign indicating the complex is under new ownership and being rehabilitated. However, a drive around the complex show the rehab is only in the front and the back units remain boarded up and in disrepair.

Other apartment complexes show signs of future distress. University Boulevard becomes Sunset between the Flint River and Ballenger Highway. Once a very nice neighborhood with some prestigious homeowners, the area between Sunset and Court has been hit with drug raids, robberies, violence and a recent murder. The worst sign of future problems is in the signage of the apartment complex. The signs advertise the promise of no credit checks, reduced first month rent and more. This does not bode well for nearby Kettering fraternities, Mott park and McLaren Hospital.

What is the vacancy rate of rentals in Flint and what does the loss of units signal? Is the population loss greater than anticipated?
Post Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:54 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The Journal story discusses metal thefts, but the Journal and the other media could do a huge story about the cost of the commercial vandalism. I drove down South Dort Highway days ago and noticed the former Superior Coney Island, just north of Eldon Baker Drive, was gutted. Even the large windows were gone. Shortly after midnight the remains of the building went up in flames.

Driving Corunna Road from Court to Ballenger, there are numerous closed buildings, including the former Zimmerman School. A once small apartment building near the print shop has been vandalized and is an eyesore. I noticed the front door kicked in on a two story building that once housed several businesses and most recently a car sales. Without entering one can easily imagine the extent of the metal theft.

Flushing Road east of Ballenger has buildings, that once housed small business ventures, and one can now see through the entire building into the back lot. The former Dover owned building, despite efforts to protect it, is being vandalized. Flushing Road, towards more Kettering Frat houses and Ballenger Park, is riddled with abandoned homes. In fact all over the city the sigs of abandonment and vandalism is apparent.

Earley's communication to the State indicates high defaults in water bills and taxes. Facebook has local residents discussing their water being shut off and their inability to have it turned back on. Kincaid is right about the excessive water bills and the high cost of living in Flint.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:14 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Genesee County forecast: Flint's population will drop to 67,000 by 2040

Ron Fonger | rfonger1@mlive.com By Ron Fonger | rfonger1@mlive.com
on December 23, 2013 at 6:00 AM, updated December 23, 2013 at 6:02 AM

FLINT, MI -- The city of Flint's population will continue to sink for the foreseeable future, dropping to just 67,133 by 2040, according to a new report from Genesee County planners.

"The city of Flint has continued to see a steady loss in population over the past several decades, averaging a loss of 19,000 persons per decade since 1980," the population projection report says.

"At some point in the future this rate of loss should level out, however, this is hard to estimate given the consistency of population loss in the city even with significant investments made in the community over the past decade," the report says.

The county report projects Flint's population to drop from 102,486 in 2010 to 67,133 by 2030, a 34.5 percent drop. The city's population peaked at nearly 200,000 in the 1960s, according to Flint Journal file,

But Flint's chief planner and two members of the county Board of Commissioners who represent Flint said the population projection seems too grim in light of improvements in long-term planning and in the city's downtown.

"We do project there will be population loss in the near-term future -- from 2010 to 2020," said Flint Chief Planner Megan Hunter. "If the current population trend continues, we estimate Flint would lose 20,000" more people."

"We feel if we implement the master plan, we will stabilize around 2020 (and have) much less decline and possibly some population gain," Hunter said.

The city's master plan is based on the premise that Flint's population will be 76,000 to 150,000 in the long term.

Flint's first master plan in more than 50 years was adopted in October, spelling out existing conditions in the city and projected population growth, land use and other needs.

Hunter said the county's population projections may not take into account developing trends like a migration of younger people to cities and how such a shift would benefit Flint.

In addition to the city, the county's report projects only three other cities or townships will lose population from 2010 to 2040 -- the city of Davison (-2.5 percent), Genesee Township (-1.4 percent), and Flint Township (-0.8 percent).

Mundy Township is expected to grow at the highest rate of any community here -- 30.8 percent by 2040, followed by the village of Goodrich -- up 28.8 percent, and Fenton Township -- up 22.3 percent.

"We had a fairly large increase in the last census, and we've been trying to address that in addressing the (future) of the Hill Road corridor," said Mundy Township Supervisor David Guigear.

Projections that the county's growth will be concentrated in areas like Fenton, Mundy and Grand Blanc townships "seem to be coming to fruition," Guigear said.

The Flint Journal could not reach county Planning Commission Director-Coordinator Derick Bradshaw for comment on the new study, which was reviewed recently by the county Metropolitan Alliance.

County planners said in the report that they used a different methodology in predicting how deep Flint's population could fall during the next 27 years because no other local unit of government "has a fraction of the continued loss realized in the city of Flint."

The report predicts the percentage reduction of households in Flint continue at a rate of about 17 percent per year through about 2012.

The rate of decline is projected to fall, dropping to 6.5 percent by 2040. The report says it takes into account areas of growth in the the city, such as Smith Village, the Durant, and student housing.

The Census Bureau estimated Flint's population as just above 100,000 in 2012 and the county report projects it will drop to 93,009 by 2015; 82,543 by 2020; 77,343 by 2030; 69,646 by 2035; and 67,133 by 2040.

The county's total population is estimated to drop by 2,760 people -- to 423,030 -- between 2005 and 2040, less than 1 percent.

County Commissioner Brenda Clack, D-Flint, said she thinks Flint can avoid the big losses of population predicted by the Planning Commission.

"That number seems to be awfully low, but I realize many people -- particularly young people -- are choosing to leave," Clack said. "I would have to disagree with that number (but) we're going to be a new type of city."

Commissioner John Northrup, D-Flint, said he's also "a little more optimistic" about Flint's future population than the projection.

"There are some nice things going on" in Flint" but "if the crime problem isn't corrected, that trend line is probably (right)," he said.
Post Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:53 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I have spoken to Genesee County politicians who say the population in Flint is already at about 88,000. Flint is selling pipe dreams. I have heard some people in Woodcroft Estates are leaving over the income tax. There is now an assisted living home on Hawthorne.
Post Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:56 am 
stevemintline
F L I N T O I D

13-14% decrease in population in three years? No way.
Post Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:31 am 
Crowfeeder
F L I N T O I D

Projecting Flint's population in 2040 ? lol... Too many unknowns and
variables for accuracy beyond 5 years.Still it's good to plan ahead with the proviso that changing the plan along the way is a given. I think it's a given that Flint needs to be downsized. Encouraging the migration of the welfare/criminal class by high water rates is a good start.
Post Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:27 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Steve-Drive the north end and see the newly vacant housing. South side too.

Crowfeeder- The people leaving are those that can afford to upgrade their housing in the suburbs. Flint homes are abandoned or rented out. Foreclosures and housing value decline make some suburban homes a real bargain.

Four of my neighbors are planning to leave within the next two years. They are professionals and business owners
Post Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:11 am 
stevemintline
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Steve-Drive the north end and see the newly vacant housing. South side too.

Crowfeeder- The people leaving are those that can afford to upgrade their housing in the suburbs. Flint homes are abandoned or rented out. Foreclosures and housing value decline make some suburban homes a real bargain.

Four of my neighbors are planning to leave within the next two years. They are professionals and business owners

I drive to all parts of the city regularly. I don't need you to tell me where to go to see vacant housing. It's no surprise that there's vacant housing all over the city. We lost 20,000 residents between the 2000 and 2010 censuses. I refuse to believe we've lost another 14,000 in three years. That's a statistical anomaly that you'd be hard pressed to prove true.
Post Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:40 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

That was an estimate given to me by some county officials.
Post Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:22 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

This is America's Most Apocalyptic, Violent City — And You’ve Probably Never Heard Of It

policymic.com

In this forsaken town 66 miles northwest of Detroit, the American dream has become the American nightmare.

This is America's Most Apocalyptic, Violent City — And You’ve Probably Never Heard Of It

Laura Dimon's avatar image By Laura Dimon 21 hours ago

this, is, america's, most, apocalyptic,, violent, city, —, and, you’ve, probably, never, heard, of, it,

Image Credit: AP

We all know about Detroit. We've heard the sad story of this dwindling midwestern city's deterioration into desperate insolvency. We know how they filed for the largest municipal bankruptcy in American history, with debt estimated at $18-20 billion following the collapse of the auto industry. The city, which was No. 1 on Forbes' "most miserable cities" list, has 78,000 vacant buildings; 40% of the streetlights do not work, and more than half of the city's parks have closed since 2008. It takes an average of one hour for the police to respond to any call.

But this story is not about Detroit. It's about Detroit's failing and forsaken neighbor, 66 miles to the northwest. It's a story about Flint, Michigan.

Flint was the birthplace of General Motors (GM) in 1908. According to journalist and Flint native Gordon Young, 47, the city flourished on a strong economy built around the auto industry. By the 1960s, it's per capita income for a city of its size was one of the highest in the world, Young says. "That is really hard for people to even fathom now."

Before the Great Recession and at peak employment, there were 80,000 jobs from GM alone. In addition, there was a satellite system of part suppliers for GM, who sprung up around the factories, supplying thousands of more jobs.

(Photo by Justin Clanton)

Today, there are only 4,000 GM jobs. An average of five people leave the city every day. "The memories of the old Flint made this decline even more dramatic for me," Young said.

The Buick city plant is the largest brown field in the U.S. now. Because it's an industrial site with potential toxic environmental damage, attempts to re-sell and re-purpose the land are highly risky.

Flint now drowns in the hell that has become of much of America's Rust Belt. The New York Times labeled it "murdertown, USA" and said it was "synonymous with faded American and industrial power."

(Photo by Gordon Young)

In a Slate article, Young wrote, "After the loss of nearly 80,000 GM jobs over the last three decades, Flint has landed on the Forbes list of 'most miserable cities' and 'fastest-dying cities.'" Filmmaker Michael Moore is a Flint native and made the 1989 documentary "Roger and Me" about the city (which was recently inducted into the National Film Registry.) Moore said of his hometown, "The only difference between your town and Flint is that the Grim Reaper just likes to visit us first."

(Photo by Gordon Young)

In Young's book, Teardown: Memoir of a Vanishing City, he chronicles his return home after being away for 15 years. One synopsis of the book reads, "There are desolate blocks where only a single house is occupied, and survivors brandish shotguns and monitor police scanners. While the population plummets, the murder rate soars. Throw in an arson spree and a racially motivated serial killer and Young wonders if Flint can be saved."

In the book, Young compares bright childhood memories of Catholic schooling and free swimming lessons to the grim present of abandoned houses and shuttered schools.

"I went back to my old neighborhood," he said. "It’s one of those neighborhoods where outsiders wouldn’t even believe it was the United States. So many burned out houses, houses with trees growing through them."

"Some of these areas would look totally abandoned, but in fact, they're not," he said.

(Photo by Gordon Young)

A third of the city has been left abandoned. If all of the abandoned houses, vacant lots, and buildings were consolidated, there would be 10 square miles of "blight" in the city.

Young said, "You can buy houses by the dozen on eBay. You can get houses for $500."

Flint is a small city of about 100,000 people. In 2012, Flint's statistics, per 100,000 people, were: 62 murders, 106 forcible rapes, and 662 robberies. The murder rate alone is higher than Baghdad's.

The numbers have earned it the No. 1 spot on Business Insider's "most dangerous cities" lists for 2010, 2011, and 2012. Violent crimes in total — including murder, nonnegligent manslaughter, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault — reached 2,729.5. The poverty rate is over 40%, and the percentage of adults with a high school degree is roughly 83%.

A 24/7 Wall St. special report stated that, "Like Detroit, Flint has suffered economically in recent years. The median household income was just $23,380 in 2011, the second-lowest of all 555 cities measured by the U.S. Census Bureau."

Photojournalist Brett Carlsen visits Flint whenever he has the means. He wrote, "With close to one third of the city’s homes vacant, those that are left exist in a whirlwind of violence, abandoned homes, and financial struggles unlike many other places in the United States."

In a Wired piece, documentary maker Zackary Canepari said, "Flint is an incredibly unique place. Historically, it is the American dream turned into the American nightmare."

Flint is emblematic of a deeper story in America, only one of the many similar tales to emerge from the once thriving, now deteriorating Rust Belt of the United States. These manufacturing and industrial hot spots, spanning from Albany, New York, west across Ohio, Indiana, and through Michigan, were once the great symbols of American innovation and economic prosperity. Today, they're mere vestiges of a bygone era that's been eclipsed by new economic power centers like Wall Street and Silicon Valley.

Proof is in the numbers: Of the 15 American cities that have lost the largest share of their populations since 1960, 14 are in the industrial Northeast and upper Midwest. Flint, like Detroit and Gary, lost about 20% of its population during the first decade of the 21st century. In the 1960s, Flint's population was double what it is today.

Thankfully, there's another side to this story of depression and decay, a side of this city that's easy to forget by focusing on the despair alone.

There's a spirit, a certain resilience, and an undeniable loyalty. Canepari said, "For a place that is so deeply dysfunctional, it has an incredible amount of identity. People are proud to be from there. And you can see why."

The everyday people of Flint refuse to be defeated. Flint native and photographer Justin Clanton, 27, said, "I love it here. Crime is a .., but, hey, not every place is perfect. There are few other places I would want to live. I'd choose the 'worst city in America' over a ritzy area any day."

Locals hate that the only story told about Flint is a negative one. "There are people trying very hard to make this city a better place," Young said.

"People who have not given up."

Laura is a journalist at PolicyMic. She's been published on theatlantic.com, economist.com, Daily Beast, and Huffington Post. Columbia Graduate School of Journalism '13. www.lauradimon.com.
Post Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:33 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The 10 Most Dangerous Cities In America In 2013 | Curiosity ...

www.curiosityaroused.com/world/the-10-most-dangerous-cities-in...

Heading into 2013, the list of the 10 most dangerous cities in the US per capita didn’t include many of America’s largest cities. The most dangerous major ...

The 10 Most Dangerous Cities In America In 2013

By Editorial Staff on August 13, 2013

Heading into 2013, the list of the 10 most dangerous cities in the US per capita didn’t include many of America’s largest cities. The most dangerous major American cities were Atlanta (26th), Baltimore (27th), Washington, DC (46th), Philadelphia (50th), Newark (51th), while New York City didn’t even make the top 100 most dangerous list. Instead, the 10 top most dangerous American cities were the decaying manufacturing hubs and relatively smaller cities with histories of racial tension and poverty.

The cities that made the top 10 were all located on the East Coast and the Mid-west, with 4 of the top 10 located in Michigan. The most dangerous city from the west coast was Oakland, California, which ranked Number 13 – not quite high enough to make the cut for the final top 10 list.

Out of the list of the top 100 most dangerous cities in America, no cities from Oregon, Montana, Washington, Idaho, or Alaska made it onto the list.

Based on FBI data of the number of violent crimes in each US city with 25,000 or more people and official census data, here are the 10 most dangerous cities in America in 2013.

10. Inkster, Michigan

Inkster, Michigan
Inkster, Michigan (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Coming in at #10 on this list of America’s most dangerous cities is Inkster, Michigan, a city of 25,111 people.

The reported violent crime rate was 1282 per 100,000 residents, compared with the national average of 241 per 100,000. Inkster residents have a 1 in 55 chance of being victim of a violent crime.

In addition to its high per capita violent crime, Inkster also has a big problem with property crime. Inkster residents have a 1 in 17 chance of being a victim of violent or property crime.

9. Newburgh, New York

Newburgh, New York
Newburgh, New York (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Residents of Newburgh – a city with a population of 29,026, have a 1 in 55 chance of being victim of a violent crime, versus the 1 in 251 chance of the average resident of the state of New York. An individual’s chance of being a victim of either a violent crime or a property crime in Newburgh is 1 in 16.

When you combine violent crime and property crime, there are very few communities in the US both large and small which have a crime rate as high as Newburgh.

8. St. Louis, Missouri

St. Louis, Missouri
St. Louis, Missouri (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
With a population of 318,069, St. Louis is significantly larger than cities #9 and #10 on this list. However, your odds of being victimized by either a property crime or a violent crime is a frightening 1 in 10. It is the most dangerous city in Missouri, whether you’re comparing larger cities or smaller communities.

When it comes purely to violent crime, your odds of becoming a victim is 1 in 53, which is significantly higher than the Missouri average of 1 in 224.

7. Atlantic City, New Jersey

atlantic city
Atlantic City Boardwalk (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
The 2012 murder of 2 Canadian tourists in broad daylight brought sensationalistic headlines – the Philadelphia Daily News declared Atlantic city a TOURIST DEATH TRAP.

Although it was later revealed that the attacker was a woman with a history of schizophrenia, the incident did bring the national spotlight onto a tourism driven city that – outside of its boardwalk – is just like any other poor urban area in the US that’s struggling to keep upper and middle class citizens.

Chances of being a victim of violent crime in Atlantic City is 1 in 53, while your odds of being victimized by property crime is as high as 1 in 13. However, those numbers are significantly lower on the highly policed boardwalk areas.

6. Detroit, Michigan

Detroit's 8 Mile
Detroit’s 8 Mile (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Depending on the statistics used, Detroit sometimes ranks #2 or even #1 as the United States’ most dangerous city. Using FBI’s violent crime data for cities with a population greater than 25,000 however, Detroit sits at #6 heading into 2013. With a population of 706,585, Detroit is also the largest city to make the top 10 list of the most dangerous cities in the USA.

Detroit has a per capita violent crime rate of 1348 per 100,000 citizens, and an overall crime rate of 8400 per 100,000 residents. Detroit has one of the highest car theft rates in all of the United States, with 1 in 62 residents experiencing a car theft every year.

5. Saginaw, Michigan

Saginaw, Michigan
Saginaw, Michigan (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Residents of this city of 51,230 people have a 1 in 16 chance of falling victim to either property-related or violent crime. Chances of falling victim to a violent crime are 1 in 43, while odds of being a victim of property crime were 1 in 26.

4. West Memphis, Arkansas

West Memphis, Arkansas
West Memphis, Arkansas (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
West Memphis, Arkansas has a population of 26,054. However, odds of becoming victimized by a violent crime were 1 in 42. The chances of being a victim of either violent or property-related crime was a frightening 1 in 8 – if this list were based on overall crime statistics rather than violent crime, West Memphis, Arkansas would rank number one.

3. Flint, Michigan

flint
Flint, Michigan (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
On lists that only look at American cities with 100,000 residents or above, Flint, Michigan ranks regularly as the most dangerous city in the United States. A resident’s chances of becoming victim of either violent or property crime is 1 in 11. Chances of being a victim of a violent crime in Flint are 1 in 42, while your chances of falling victim to a property crime is 1 in 15.

While the car theft rate isn’t as high as Detroit, its still one of the car theft capitals of the US, with residents experiencing a 1 in 130 chance of having their car stolen.

2. Camden, New Jersey

Camden, New Jersey
Camden, New Jersey (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Like most other cities on this list, Camden’s high crime is driven largely by poverty and gang violence. Camden was named the nation’s poorest city by the U.S. Census bureau in 2011.

This community of 77,283 people was the 2nd most dangerous city in the U.S., with residents experiencing a 1 in 36 chance of being victimized by a violent crime. A resident’s chance of falling victim to either a violent or property related crime is a staggering 1 in 11.

1. East St. Louis, Illinois

East St. Louis
East St. Louis (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
East St. Louis was the most dangerous city in America heading into 2013 based on violent crime statistics. East St. Louis has suffered tremendously from de-industrialization and job loss. The exodus of middle and upper class residents has left a city ridden with poverty (the average household income is $21,000, compared to the national average of $50,000), gang violence, and budget cuts that have reduced its police force by 33% from 2008-2011, leaving it ill equipped to handle the ever-increasing cycle of violence. A U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Illinois once referred to East St. Louis as the “Wild West”.

Odds of falling victim to a violent crime in East St. Louis were a frightening 1 in 17. Odds of falling victim to either a violent crime or a property-related crime were an even more disheartening 1 in 7. On top of these numbers, residents of East St. Louis were more likely than residents of nearly any other city on this list to have their car stolen (with the exception of Detroit), with a 1 in 64 chance of being victim of car theft.

Note: Violent crimes statistics used in this list include homicide (non-negligent murder), forcible rape (doesn’t include statutory rape), armed robbery, and aggravated assault (assault that causes severe bodily injury).

The data is taken from the FBI’s most recent “final non-preliminary” statistics, making it the most accurate and up-to-date national data on crime in the United States of America. Population data was taken from the most recent U.S. census
Post Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:58 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint is only #3 on this list. With the addition of Inkster at #10, there are now 4 Michigan cities on the list.
Post Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:07 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

More: Crime Violence Cities FBI 

How Flint, Michigan Became The Most Dangerous City In America

Christina Sterbenz and Erin Fuchs Jun. 16, 2013, 12:11 PM

The words "No Trespassing" are seen on the front of an abandoned house in a former thriving working-class neighborhood near downtown Flint, Michigan July 8, 2009.

We've been ranking America's most dangerous cities for several years, and there's one city that keeps making the top of the list — Flint, Michigan.

Flint had 66 homicides in 2012, tying a record it hit two years ago.

Forbes has also ranked Flint as one of most dangerous places for women. The most striking attack of 2012 occurred when an 87-year-old woman was raped outside her home in broad daylight. She decided to leave Flint.

The city has probably changed a lot in that woman's lifetime. Flint hasn't always been this dangerous or depressing.

Flint had a booming auto industry in the mid-1900s. The United Automobile Workers, in its infancy, triumphed over industrial bigwig General Motors after a 1936 strike began an era of union labor. The people in Flint had stable work and earned decent money up until the late '70s.

GM's Flint operations employed 80,000 people in 1978. At the time, New York City had a reputation for being the most dangerous place in America — not Flint.

However, the tide started to turn for Flint in the '80s. That's when GM started setting up factories in Mexico and dramatically reduced its operations in Flint. By 2006 GM employed just 8,000 people in Flint, according to Flint's city manager.

With no major industry in Flint, the city's unemployment and poverty rates have soared as many people have fled the city. Here are some factors that contribute to making Flint a dangerous place:

•Flint only employed 122 police officers in 2012, down from 265 five years earlier because of budget cuts, Mlive.com reported. With 122 officers, Flint employs one officer for about every 830 people. Comparatively, New York City (which didn't even make the top 25 most dangerous cities) covers about 235 people per cop.

•According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Flint's unemployment rate rests as 16.0 percent. Though not as low as Detroit's, which rings in at 17.5 percent, Flint's lack of work doesn't bode well for the local economy. More than 38% of people there live below the poverty level, according to the most recent Census numbers. Poverty and crime are known to go hand in hand.

•Drugs are a known accelerant for crime, including violent crime. Heroin use has increased dramatically among people between 18 and 29, the Flint Journal reported in 2011. That year, two teenagers died of overdoses within three days of each other.

As things get worse in Flint, its population continues to drop off. There were nearly 125,000 people living there in 2000, but that number declined to roughly 101,000 by 2011. This decline suggests Flint is no longer a place where people want to live.

A news clip featured in Michael Moore's "Roger and Me" back in 1989 sums up how Flint's reputation has changed.

"Flint is best known for its principal industry," a newscaster said back then, referring to the auto industry. "But it's quickly gaining notoriety as a major crime center."
Post Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:58 pm 
stevemintline
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
That was an estimate given to me by some county officials.

You're really good at paraphrasing anonymous sources. Got any evidence that the city lost one of every seven residents in just three years? Knowing four people that plan to leave within two years is a good start, now we just need to account for the other 14,000 or so.
Post Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:16 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: