FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Remember rock and roll
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
twotap
F L I N T O I D

How many of you youngsters remember when rock and roll started. Bill Haley, Chuck Berry and the guy who was ahead of his time Musically any way Little Richard. We would have dances saturday night at the HS gym with Bill Lamb introducing the latest tunes. I remember they shut down Belsay road one saturday and had a street dance with Lamb once again. He introduced Elvis singing Hounddog and on the flip side Dont be Cruel. He must have played that 50 times that night and everytime the gals ( and a couple of guys Shocked ) would go bonkers. I still listen to that stuff a lot although I also enjoy the Eagles, Aerosmith, Kid rock, Steve Vai, and my favorite easy listening gal Nora Jones. Cool ( I just missed seeing her live at Interlochen right after she swept the Grammys with 8 wins for "Come Away with Me". I believe music is one of lifes simple pleasures How about you folks what do you listen to? Very Happy

Last edited by twotap on Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:11 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Ya got a couple years on me twotap...Bill Haley was a little before my time. Never cared much for Elvis either, but Chuck Berry (remember "My Ding-A-Ling?) was always a hit. Jimi Hendrix...greatest guitar player ever (I'm sure that will be debated!). Zeppelin, Aerosmith, and from way back in my foolish teen years (under some illegal narcotic influence) it was all about Pink Floyd and Frank Zappa. Saw FZ live at Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor with my dad and step-mom. I've never seen so much pot in one place. (And yes, the three of us were smoking some of our own...not proud of it today, but won't deny it.)

Closer to current times, yes, Kid Rock, Matchbox 20, Creed, Kenny Wayne Shepard are all on my A-list.
Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:24 pm 
lunchlady
F L I N T O I D

TOM PETTY!

Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I like most everyone pre-Beatles, except Bill Haley. I was in the 10th grade at St. Mikes when Elvis was going to be on Ed Sullivan. The nuns warned us that he was evil and would tempt us all to sin. Naturally, everyone had to watch to see what all the fuss was about.

Never did like the Beatles; I prefer the Stones. I listen to 50's & early 60's rock, Blues, and Boogie Woogie & Honky-Tonk piano.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Well I forgot Bob Seger, Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks yeowsa) Very Happy , I agree Tom Petty, Steve Miller band, I even forget politics and listen to the Dixie Chicks. Shocked
Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:32 pm 
last time here

canned heat, mc-5 "kick out the jams mofo's"
who sang charlie brown??
elvis was the stuff!!
the beatles, when the stones came out i was hooked!!! i remember them being on ed sullivan. ole' ed was flabbergasted!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
there was a record store downtown (in the basement) that might have
been lambs, i bought a classic hendrix underground album there. thats
where i got all my rock & roll stuff. i got my black stuff at a record shop
on lippincott owned by mr.watkins.
the float
the dog
the hully gully
the twist
the mashed potatos

lamb was, in my eyes, personally responsible for bringing flint into what we
thought was the new age!! is he still alive and if so, i hope he realises the
tremendous debt of gratitude he is owed. Applause prayer prayer Applause

Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:53 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
who sang charlie brown??

That would be the Coasters. Laughing
Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:02 pm 
last time here

yeah!!! the coasters!!!!! Cool Laughing Laughing Laughing Cool

Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:06 pm 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

Geez, and I thought I was old! LOL!

I'm more the era of dances at Mt. Holly (where the girls went to meet guys and the guys went to fight!) and Sherwood Forest. Pine Knob when it was still Pine Knob and the Grandy Ballroom in Detroit (was that it? Doesn't ring right.)

We saw Terry and the Pack, Seger, Question Mark and the Mysterions, Ted Nugent---all for about a $2 admission fee at Mt. Holly. Geez that was fun.

And it wasn't Bill Lamb on my radio it was Peter C. Cavanaugh---and he played at our high school and teen club dances. Geez, I'd forgotten about teen club, wish our kids had something like that!

One more thing, the downstairs music store was Hatfield's. Remember the booths you could go into to try out the music? Different world, now the kids just download it onto their IPod. Smile Used to pay 3 bucks for an album...
Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:29 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

OK, who sang "Hound Dog" BEFORE Elvis did???

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
last time here

you were that girl who wore a long see-through scarf as a head band??
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
yup...mt.holly was hot too!!! Laughing Laughing

aw dave....it was a woman.....i heard it on "blues from the lowlands"
on 91.7 long long ago!! Embarassed Embarassed

Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:45 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Lt you should be ashamed of yourself. It was Willa Mae "big Momma " Thorton. Laughing Laughing

Also 105FM Flints Best Rock. Cool Saturday night, Buffalo Dick with his pal Buffalo Chip. now that was entertainment. Still have my 105 button. Laughing Very Happy
Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:07 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Deena schreef:
And it wasn't Bill Lamb on my radio it was Peter C. Cavanaugh...Used to pay 3 bucks for an album...

Ahh...WTAC, The Big 600 AM.

And I bought my 45's at Arlan's for 69 cents.
Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:26 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
Saturday night, Buffalo Dick with his pal Buffalo Chip. now that was entertainment.

Wasn't that Bill Lamb's son? Curt, I think.
Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:54 pm 
last time here

dave..i think it was mama (something) thornton? Shocked

oops!! i didn't look 2tap!!!! Laughing Laughing

Last edited by last time here on Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:12 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: