FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Genesee Towers safe?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint City Council members question recent public use of Genesee Towers
When Kurta brought an inspector back from retirement to conduct inspections on the genesee Towers, not all of the dangerous situations were outside. At one time the elevator was connected using electrical cords. I once worked on the 17th floor and the elevator was a constant source of concern. Besides the elevators, there were other issues and citations about the interior structure. Kudos to LLoyd for discussing this issue.

Tell me why it is ok to endanger citizens by having them sign these no liability documents? The city could knowingly be endangering citizens and these citizens willingly agree to it. Not a smart move as ar as I am concerned..

Published: Wednesday, July 20, 2011, 9:46 PM Updated: Wednesday, July 20, 2011, 9:49 PM
By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal The Flint Journal

View full sizeSean Ryan | The Flint JournalThe Genesee Towers building lights up during an art performance on July 8. The Flint Public Art Project put on the show as part of the Downtown Art Walk. A Flint City Council member is questioning the decision to let public inside the barricaded structure.
FLINT, Michigan -- Flint Councilman Delrico Loyd wants answers related to a recent event held inside the dilapidated Genesee Towers building.

Dancers and other members of the public were allowed inside the structure on July 8 as part of an art project during the Downtown Art Walk.

At tonight's city council meeting, Loyd said the decision to allow people inside was disrespectful to the city's taxpayers, who collectively had to pay an $8.9 million judgment from a longstanding lawsuit.

City Administrator Greg Eason said everyone who entered the building signed a form releasing the city from any liability.

Still, Loyd said it never should have happened.

"Our understanding was that building was not a safe facility," Loyd said. "We still have barricades up. Nobody should be going inside the building, especially to hold events."

Loyd said he wants the city council to enact an ordinance or take some action to prevent outside entities from using the building until the city decides what it will do with it. He also asked the administration to inform council at its next meeting who authorized the use of the building.

Eason said the city wants to have a property manager come in and assess the building for potential uses, and asked for the council's support.

"We have an $8.9-million gorilla that's sitting there downtown," he said. "We still have to figure out how are we going to solve this problem. Let us please be proactive."

Sponsored Links
Post Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:32 am 
cleartheair
F L I N T O I D

I was at the towers for the artwalk event, the people drove to the 9th floor and walked up the stairs. There is NO danger being in Genesee Towers, any discussion of this building being unsafe is just nonsense.

Let's not waste any time talking about this matter.
Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:06 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
cleartheair schreef:
I was at the towers for the artwalk event, the people drove to the 9th floor and walked up the stairs. There is NO danger being in Genesee Towers, any discussion of this building being unsafe is just nonsense.

Let's not waste any time talking about this matter.

The stupidity lies with you and your cohorts as the parking structure was one of the sites with the most violations. This was why Kumar bought the toxic used paint from Canada for-to paint the metal beams. The Judge ordered Kumar to stop using unqualified workers such as the laborers from Odysssey House.

Let me get this straight. You and your cohorts behaved stupidly so no one should discuss it. Look up the meaning of condemned and you should realize none of you had any right to be in the building.
Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:41 am 
cleartheair
F L I N T O I D

Stupidity? What is YOUR experience with construction? FYI, ,there are no exposed beams in the structure or any other part of the building except for the very top floor. The building is a concrete beam construction, you would be hard pressed to find a beam in the building except for the elevator hoistways.

The parking structure is rough but it is designed to hold hundreds of cars, and they had one.

"toxic used paint" ? Used paint is dry, how do you paint with dry paint? So you are saying that Canada (who have tougher environmental standards) allows the use of toxic paint around its citizens? Also no one was eating paint from what i could see.

Unqualified workers? Anyone working on the building would be doing remodeling type work and nothing of any consequence to most of the public. Commercial work requires licences, that does not make anyone more qualified, it is just required by the city

The building is condemned because the elevators do not have state certification and the skin of the building is crumbling, neither of which had anything to do with the people doing this art project.

If you inspected them all the old GM plants would be closed because of toxins.

I know you want to be the authority on everything Flint and I for one appreciate the information you present here, but do not speak on things you know nothing about.

You are wrong on every count and if you want to debate this further I will be happy to, I am more then happy to do a walk through of the building with you also. The rest of your post makes no sense, so I will leave it there.
Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:29 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The former owner of the genesee Towers ws taken to court because of his propensity to use unskilled and untrained labor to repair the structure. The Judge ordered him to use only commercial repair crews. The city had to continually drive by even at night because Project Strive had workers user the contractor tools at night in the building. Kumar would ask the commercial crews to leave and then he used the Strive crews.

Maintenance and security at the Mott Foundation Building called City hall when they observed a near disaster- a young man stepped off a scaffold near the top and the scaffolding fell seconds later.

The Flint Journal printed a story about the paint. The paint had been used in Canada and the runoff was purchased by Kumar and stored on Dort Highway near pierson. The DEQ investigated and the truck driver that brought the paint in stated he would never have delivered the barrels had he known what was really in them. Check the Journal archives.

More recently there was a Flint Journal story about a zoning change Kumar wanted for his Dort Highway building. Flint and Genesee Township residents who must depend on wells as there is no access to Water lines across this stretch of highway were fearful the barrels, which had been left outside at one time, would leak and contaminate the area wells.

Parking structures fail all the time just as bridges do. You do not have to see the structural damage to find out it is there. That is why the county is planning to demolish their parking structure on Beach Street. The Hotel parking structure was in serious disrepair several years ago.

Former City Emergency Fianancial Manager Ed Kurtz brought in retired inspector Jake Hawkins for the sole purpose of an ongoing inspection of the facility. Kumar blamed the City for problems after the basement flooded. The elevators were one issue, but there were many more. I once worked in the building and there were constant issues.
Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:36 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I still say if a building is condemned, no one should have given you access to the building. I applaud Lloyd for his courage in opposing this issue.
Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:40 pm 
cleartheair
F L I N T O I D

Smoke and mirrors, it is a meaningless gesture
Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:34 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
cleartheair schreef:
I am more then happy to do a walk through of the building with you also.
Who are you and what is your authority to walk anyone through a condemned commercial building owned by the city and that I was forced to help pay for with special tax assessment?

Delrico Loyd is right. No one should be allowed in the building until the problems causing it to be condemned have been rectified and the entire building has been certified to meeting building codes.

The "waivers" signed aren't worth the paper they're printed on.
Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:09 pm 
cleartheair
F L I N T O I D

OOSL2, And I will be happy to walk through the building with you too, after all, I own a square inch or two also.

I have to ask, what exactly do you think will happen? What would be different than walking through any other building? [/quote]
Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:24 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
cleartheair schreef:
OOSL2, And I will be happy to walk through the building with you too, after all, I own a square inch or two also.

I have to ask, what exactly do you think will happen? What would be different than walking through any other building?
I will not walk into the building, let alone through it, as long as it is condemned. I stand by my original post, including asking your authority to offer anyone a walk-through. Again, who are you and what is your authority to offer a walk-through?
Post Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:54 pm 
cleartheair
F L I N T O I D

If you are scared, that's ok.

And my i ask who the hell are you? If you are afraid, just leave us alone.
Post Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:27 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
cleartheair schreef:
If you are scared, that's ok.

And my i ask who the hell are you? If you are afraid, just leave us alone.
You have declined to respond as to your identity and your authority to lead personal tours through the building so I must presume you have none and may actually be violating legal boundaries should you do so. Let's see how soon this plays out in court with you as an unknown person inviting personal tours of a condemned building owned by the city. You can be identified. If you are a City of Flint employee your job should be done! I believe taxpayers who were forced to pay an astronomical property tax "surcharge" for the judgment are not going to stand for such irresponsible behavior by city administration.
Post Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:55 pm 
cleartheair
F L I N T O I D

Sure i paid the tax, so what?

You are just not very smart, it is simply a building just like any other empty building, You talk like a cop, with all those mumbo jumbo words in your statement.

Your overreaction to going into an empty building is amazing, all i can say is so what..

You have still not said who you are.
Post Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:15 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

PROPERTY VANDALS SHOULD BE PROSECUTED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW. THE DESTRUCTION AND DEVALUATION OF PROPERTY SHOULD BE PUNISHED AS SEVERELY AS FELONIOUS ASSAULT AGAINST A PERSON. ANYONE WHO INVITES TRESPASSING ON CONDEMNED PROPERTY SHOULD BE PROSECUTED IN LIKE MANNER.

mlive.com
Police arrest at least one for scrap metal theft at Genesee Towers
Published: Monday, July 25, 2011, 4:45 PM Updated: Monday, July 25, 2011, 4:57 PM
Khalil AlHajal | The Flint Journal By Khalil AlHajal | The Flint Journal The Flint Journal

FLINT, Michigan — Police arrested at least one person for scrap metal theft at Genesee Towers this afternoon, police said.

Several police cruisers were seen outside the building around 4 p.m. Two police vehicles remained 4:30 p.m. while workers prepared to secure the boarded-up lower level.

Police said copper inside the building was being targeted. It was unclear how many were arrested. Police haven't yet provided more information.

The city took ownership of the building on 1st Street in Downtown Flint last year after losing a lengthy lawsuit. A judge upheld an arbitrator's ruling that the city had to take ownership and pay the former owners for the property.

© 2011 MLive.com. All rights reserved.
---
Source: http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2011/07/police_arrest_at_least_one_for.html
Post Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:02 pm 
cleartheair
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
PROPERTY VANDALS SHOULD BE PROSECUTED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW. THE DESTRUCTION AND DEVALUATION OF PROPERTY SHOULD BE PUNISHED AS SEVERELY AS FELONIOUS ASSAULT AGAINST A PERSON. ANYONE WHO INVITES TRESPASSING ON CONDEMNED PROPERTY SHOULD BE PROSECUTED IN LIKE MANNER.

So again you are wrong, I nor anyone I know stole anything.

So you in your screaming rant is accusing us of stealing?

I agree with you, scrappers should be arrested, You are a real piece of work, the topic is Is Genesee Towers Safe? Not is OO happy with me.
Post Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:12 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: