FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: the Eric Mays Saga contiues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Mays has just been released. He may have blown a .11 but I am told he says the marijuana was planted.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:33 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:46 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Your source states: "A recall petition must clearly state each reason for the recall, and each reason must be based on the elected officer’s conduct during their current term in office." Why are you bringing up recall? You think it should happen?
Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:54 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I am not the only one bringing up recall. Yes I think a recall may be in order, but that is up to the residents in his ward.

Yes a reason must be given and it must be stated clearly and understandable. It can also be frivolous, but the committee that approves the language must only look at the clarity.
Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:26 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint emergency manager to consult with governor about councilman's arrest

Amanda Emery | aemery@mlive.com By Amanda Emery | aemery@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on November 30, 2013 at 4:39 PM, updated November 30, 2013 at 5:07 PM

FLINT, MI -- Flint Emergency Manager Darnell Earley said he will discuss a city councilman's weekend arrest with Gov. Rick Snyder on Monday.
Flint City Councilman Eric Mays was arrested and jailed about 2:50 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 30, for alleged drunken driving and possession of marijuana after police said they found him trying to change a tire on a car with four flats on I-475 near Carpenter Road.

"I'm very disappointed to hear of these serious charges against Councilman Mays, particularly in view of the fact that he has sworn an oath to uphold and abide by the laws of the State and the city of Flint." Earley said. "I'll be conferring with the governor's office on this matter on Monday."

Flint Police Chief James Tolbert said Mays was arrested for operating while under the influence of alcohol and possession of marijuana. He was also cited for no proof of insurance and failure to submit to fingerprinting, Tolbert said.

Police said the vehicle Mays was with had been traveling north in the southbound lanes of I-475 on four flat tires.

Mays is currently lodged in the Flint City Lockup pending arraignment. An arraignment time has not been set.

Mays was won a narrow victory in Flint's First Ward in November, beating Anita Brown by seven votes.

With the city under state control, council members have little power but are expected to take a more active role when Snyder returns to city to local control.

Flint City Councilman Sheldon Neeley declined comment on the arrest. City Council President Scott Kincaid and other council members could not be reached for comment.

Residents in the First Ward had mixed reactions to the news of Mays' arrest. While some were angry, Elijah Muhammad said he felt sorry for him

"I think he has a strong voice and had I voted, I would have voted for Eric." Muhammad said. "But I'm really disappointed, I'm really disappointed in him."
Zykkiyia Turner, 22 of the First Ward in Flint, said the arrest is not appropriate behavior for a councilman.

"It's a shame." Turner said. "You're supposed to look up to people like that and respect people, not hear something like that. It's sad."

Brown, who will have a recount next week in her loss to Mays, offered support for him.

"I truly regret hearing that regarding him and anyone else." Brown said. "If there's anything I can do, I certainly would."

Brown said there are compassionate people in the First Ward that would stand beside Mays.

Political analyst Bill Ballenger said the charges against Mays aren't just bad for him, but reflects poorly on the council as well.

Ballenger said the negative publicity surrounding the arrest along with Mays' history increases the damage. The First Ward councilman pleaded guilty to felonious assault in 1987 and served a year of probation. Mays said the man had been threatening his life before Mays threatened him with a gun.

"The last thing somebody like Eric Mays, or anyone else with his background should do is allow this to happen." Ballenger said. "It's not good."

Amanda Emery is a police reporter for MLive-Flint Journal. Contact her at aemery@mlive.com or 810-285-0792. Follow her on Twitter or Facebook.
Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:29 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I'm very disappointed to hear of these serious charges against Councilman Mays, particularly in view of the fact that he has sworn an oath to uphold and abide by the laws of the State and the city of Flint." Earley said. "I'll be conferring with the governor's office on this matter on Monday."

I don't know what the Governor can do since Mays has not been convicted and are these felony charges/
Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:37 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Attorney: Arrested Flint City Councilman Eric Mays will contine to serve as long as voters want

Amanda Emery | aemery@mlive.com By Amanda Emery | aemery@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on November 30, 2013 at 7:21 PM, updated November 30, 2013 at 7:26 PM

FLINT, MI -- The attorney for Flint City Councilman Eric Mays said Mays expects to remain on council despite his arrest early Saturday.
Mays was released from the Flint City Lockup Saturday afternoon hours after he was arrested for alleged drunken driving and possession of marijuana on I-475.

Attorney Frank Manley said he is representing Mays, who also received citations for no proof of insurance and failure to submit to fingerprinting after his arrest.

"I expect him to remain on the city council until the residents in his ward deem otherwise," said Manley.

Manley declined comment on specifics of the allegations and said he needs to review reports in the case.

Manley said he make seek to have any case against Mays moved out of Genesee County due to the "hysterical outcry that appears to be emanating from people that have voiced their opinions so far."

"He is presumed innocent." Manley said of Mays. "His arrest has unleashed a feeding frenzy of malice."

Mays was arrested after Flint police were dispatched to southbound I-475 north of Carpenter Road in reference to a car with four flat tires around 2:51 a.m.

Police said the vehicle involved had been traveling north in the southbound lanes of I-475 on four flat tires. Mays was trying to change a flat when police found him.

Flint Emergency Manager Darnell Earley said he will discuss the councilman's arrest with Gov. Rick Snyder on Monday.

Amanda Emery is a police reporter for MLive-Flint Journal. Contact her at aemery@mlive.com or 810-285-0792. Follow her on Twitter or Facebook.
Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:39 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Where is the hysterical outcry that Manley is addressing? The journal comments were somewhat supportive. Earley may go to the Governor, but what power does the Governor have over this situation? A little bit of hyperbole?
Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:43 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Facebook

Mike Killbreath MORE TO THE STORY: .... "Mays was arrested after Flint police were dispatched to southbound I-475 north of Carpenter Road in reference to a car with four flat tires around 2:51 a.m. Police said the vehicle involved had been traveling north in the southbound lanes of I-475 on four flat tires. Mays was trying to change a flat when police found him."

Um, Flint police found him sitting in a Genesee Township police car after the vehicle with flat tires struck the side embankment in Genesee Township. So why is Flint police handling the case? The State Police should be investigating who was at the nearby party attended by many of his political enemies, and maybe they can find out who put a drug in this guy's drink. If he doesn't remember leaving the party and doesn't remember driving the wrong way on the expressway, how would a 0.11 blood alcohol content cause that kind of behavior?

Eric Mays has powerful friends in his corner if Frank Manley is on the case. He may be the best defense attorney in Michigan.

There is much more to this story, including why the Emergency Financial Manager would be sending out a Saturday press release about consulting the governor Monday on this matter.

Eric Mays was sent to jail for talking more than 3 minutes at a public hearing about what he called public corruption, despite a Flint City Charter ordinance which guarantees 10 minutes of public comment at public hearings. This is a rule that can't be changed without a vote of the citizens, yet at 2 minutes and 41 seconds, Mr. Mays was cut off and told his time was up. The EFM handed out tax breaks to his friends at Uptown for a dozen Downtown Flint buildings. One of the tax breaks went to Genesee Towers, which was subsequently handed over to Uptown for a dollar with a $750,000 check to help tear it down.

Follow the money and you will get a better idea what's going on here with Mr. Mays. He intends to use the subpoena power given city council members to find out where all the money in this city has gone. Do you suppose someone would go so far as to drug this guy at a party to get him arrested for drunken driving while tossing a bag of weed in his car? As far as I'm concerned, anybody involved could face very serious, serious charges that could include participating in a conspiracy to commit attempted murder. Mays could have been killed after he was obviously drugged by political enemies. That's my take on this case.

Mike Killbreath, 8am-9am Weekday Host
The Morning Gazette Radio Show
Flitn's News Talk WFNT 1470 AM

7 hours ago · Like
Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:30 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Part of the question is how did Mays get the money to hire the Manley Firm? They don't come cheap and he has no money.
Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:32 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

WJRT TV 12 the late news

Flint -
(11/30/13) Newly elected Flint city council member Eric Mays was arrested early Saturday morning for drunk driving and marijuana possession.

Flint police tell us Mays told Flint PD, he was celebrating at establishment near Industrial and Leith streets in Flint.

Police say Mays admitted to getting into his car and taking off.

Police say he hit something along the way, kept going, but left a trail behind.

Lt. James Peterson says, "officers wound up tracing debris and vehicle fluid back at Leith and Industrial until they found what he ran into".

Police tell us Mays ended up going north on southbound I-475. Near carpenter road his four tires went flat, leaving him stranded on the highway.

When Flint PD arrived, Mays was in the back of a Genesee township police cruiser.

Police say he was taken to the Flint city lockup after he blew over the legal limit.

They kept him there until around 3pm on Saturday.

Lt. James Peterson says, "he realized that this was not a good thing for him and he was pretty embarrassed by it, as he thought about it."

Late Saturday night we talked to Frank Manley, who is representing Mays.

He released this statement saying, "Controversial does not mean guilty. We will review the facts and vigorously defend. It is our expectation that unless and until the voters speak Mr mays will remain a city council member."

We are waiting to hear back from the president of the Flint city council to find out if this has any impact on his seat.
Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:36 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Mays was at a party in the 599 hall. The original accident was in that vicinity. The question of who gets to prosecute him will be interesting.

His claim of being drugged by possible Anita Brown supporters shows we will be led on a conspiracy hunt. What other conceivable enemies were there to discredit?
Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:42 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Firm Profile

The Manley Firm, P.C., founded in 1982 is the latest area of the Manley family's commitment to helping people, especially those in Flint and Genesee County.

The Manley Family has a rich tradition of community service dating back to 1929 with Frank J. Manley Sr.'s work with the Mott Foundation, continuing with Dr. Frank J. Manley, Jr.'s innovative prison programs, to today's provision of top rate legal services at The Manley Firm, P.C.

The Manley Firm, P.C. has achieved recognition as one of the finest criminal defense law firms in the State of Michigan and has been bestowed with Martindale Hubble's prestigious AV rating for achieving and maintaining the very highest standard for legal ability and ethical conduct.

The Manley Firm, P.C. also accepts, in association with outstanding civil attorneys, personal injury cases including: automobile accidents, wrongful deaths, dog bites, slip & falls, as well as various other civil actions.
Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:55 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Will Peter Bade handle this case personally?
If Eric was charged under state law, Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton's office will handle it--unless Mr. Manley is successful in getting case transferred to another county.
Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:57 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Eric Mays' attorney speaks about Mays' arrest

by Josh Marshall
Josh Marshall is a reporter for NBC25. He studied Broadcast Journalism at West Virginia University.

FLINT -- Flint's First Ward Councilman Eric Mays’ attorney, Frank Manley, spoke with NBC 25 after his client was arrested for operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol and for possession of marijuana.

"Once you separate the who from the what, you will find that it's a simple misdemeanor and councilman Mays is presumed innocent and we will proceed accordingly. He is a city councilman in a city that is controlled by the Emergency Financial Manager but it’s our expectation that it is only the voters that can and will have a say in whether or not Mr. Mays continues to serve," said Manley.

Flint police received a call at about 2:50 Saturday morning that a vehicle was driving north in the southbound lanes of I-475.

Flint police responded and found Councilman Mays changing four flat tires on I-475 near Carpenter Road. The Genesee Township police were already on the scene.

The Flint police also say that Mays had no proof of insurance and refused to be fingerprinted.
Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:51 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

There was over 300 people at the cabaret but Eric is the only one that had a problem.

Things the police need to check out :

Was Mays drunk when he arrived?

Did Ed Taylor have moonshine and did Eric drink some?

Was Mays seen drinking Wild Goose?

Was Mays seen at the Paradise Liquor buying the marijuana?

Was Mays driving a white Impala with a dealer plate?

Who is paying for Mays attorney?
Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:07 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: