FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Judges Forum

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
rapunzel

Input on thoughts of Judges forum?

Constituents were not expected to be so rude. Cheering sections divided by the isles.

Your thoughts...note takers? Heros?

What will happen to Zerka as an attorney if he loses to incumbant? Destined to practice in a city near you?

What will happen to attorneys supporting Weiss if Zerka wins?
(Not happen for..?)
Crawford clearly had all the right answers...but did any one hear?
RAP
Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:31 am 
TRB

Judicial candidate forum held from 6-8 p.m. Sunday at the First Presbyterian Church, 746 S. Saginaw St.
This event was sponsored by the Genesee County Bar Association, NAACP and the League of Women Voters.

All the chairs were taken some standing room. The audience was 50% the campaign committees of Judge Weiss and his challenger Al Zerka. Judge Perry was present with the balance of the Crowd being a mix of regular participants and supporters of Judge Marble, Crawford and challenger Ward.

Mayoral candidate Dale Weighill was present. No other elected officials were present with possibly Lee Gonzales being represented by his wife Brenda.

Ms. J. Hall of the league was the moderator.

The 68th District court candidate went first then the Probate Court candidates.

68th District Court

#1 Civility

Judge Herman Marable- The impact of a judge on the civility of litigants and other attorneys is under rated. But the 68th District Court is the peoples court. Many People are unrepresented.

Lynette Ward- Judges must act civil. If the judge does not the litigants will not. The burden falls on the judge.

Judge William Crawford- Judges must start on time and end on time. Judge must explain what is going on. Judges should not allow cross talk.

#2 Widen the access to justice and legal assistance to the unrepresented.

Ward- The public defender program is based upon need. We need more money from the city.

Crawford- Reward the pro bono service of attorneys... put a spot light on attorneys that offer free help.

Marble- Our public defender only shows up once a week. We need more. The public defender should be present every morning.

#3 Organization of the court.

Crawford- We have a major under funding, lack of resources, need more staff to process cases . The 68th District court is top heavy in administration. We need fewer chiefs and more workers.

Marble- Lack of funding led to problems. There are also problems that do not relate to money. The 68th District Court is top heavy in administration. There is a lack of cohesiveness in the court with moral problems. Marable talked about the “ pink elephant in the room” charges concerning competence against him.

Ward- The court has deficient resources. The 68th District Court is not top heavy in administration. [She is a court administrator-TRB]We have working supervisors, and the court needs their experience. We have employees afraid to go into certain courtrooms. Inference was that Marable was not carrying his load.

#4 Over crowding in the jail affecting sentencing.

Marable- Our jail has been obsolete since it was built. Judges are under pressure to give lighter sentences and to release early. He advocates innovative sentencing, making the penalty equal the crime. We need a comprehensive strategy.

Ward- There needs to be a drug court in 68th District court. Drugs and domestic violence need to be treated this way.

Crawford- Driving while intoxicated the second time and domestic violence need to be harshly dealt with. He ensures punishment. Young people have too much time on their hands.

Audience
Q#1 Collecting fines

Ward- We need judges to enforce the court rule to pay fines.

Crawford- Need to run this part of the court like a business and go after collections. When people are poor order community service.

Marble- I advocated a contract with an outside firm and the other judges did not support me. We have the highest poverty rate in the state people cannot pay.

AudienceQ #2 Why vote for you

Crawford- I treat people with respect and lead by example.

Marble- I have been a positive active community leader, fair, people can be heard.

Ward- I stay competent, I have kids, stay positive, encourage others to do better.

Audience Q#3 should community people be able to give a statement like direct victims of a crime for nuisance crime.

Marble- I sentence community service for nuisance crimes.

Ward- She supports victim impact statement did not address nuisance crimes.

Crawford- We have to keep a balance. Sentences are to punish.

AudienceQ #4 Civility

Ward- If you give respect you get respect.

Crawford- You have to be tough when you need to be. I am tough on domestic violence. A judge has to be even and tough minded.

Marble- I do my best. I do not believe in assembly line justice.

Closing

Crawford- Talked of his many endorsement and humility.

Marble- Talked of the campaign promises he made when he first ran that he has lived up to.

Ward. I am fair and competent.

Probate Court Judges/ Family Court.

Q#1 Is DHS too powerful

Challenger Albert Zerka- I have practiced for 16 years, they are much too powerful. The Judges delegate too much too them.

Judge Robert Weiss- We cannot protect children when we have cut the ranks of DHS workers the way we have.

Q#2 Should the parents of truants be jailed.

Weiss- Judge Beagle has created a truancy court, He handles these cases and I think it is a great program.

Zerka- Parents need to be made to get kids to school.

Q#3 Cost of representation

Zerka- Attorneys charge too much. Judges don’t get to work on time. Judges delegate too much to referees.

Weiss- When people are not represented it take a lot of time from the court. We need more pro bono attorneys.

My cases are on time. I have no cases more that a year old. I am proud of my record the job is getting done.

Q#4 Civility

Weiss- We need to change how we treat each other. It’s a sign of our times that people do not have respect for one another.

Zerka- Civility starts with the judge. Go to court any Monday and see what the litigants get away with.

Audience Q#1 What is your strongest attribute

Zerka- I don’t make promises I can’t keep.

Weiss- Integrity , honesty I treat people with respect.
I do not label my self as partisan.

Audience Q#2 FOC setting support outside of the guideline.

Zerka- It’s the judges role to make FOC do it right.

Weiss- FOC must follow the guidelines.

Audience Q#3 Peoples lack of faith in judges.

Weiss- We make tough decisions somebody loses in the adversarial system.

Zerka- There is a lack of faith in judges.

Audience Q#4 Pet attorneys get favored treatment

Zerka- Attorneys should not meet with the judge without their clients.

Weiss- Meeting with the attorneys in chambers settles cases. Our combative family law system is out of date.

Audience Q#4 Flint Youth Crime

Weiss - I help kids every day in Family court.

Zerka - Society must punish then rehabilitate.

Audience Q #5 Court funding

Zerka - I will work with the decision makers.

Weiss- The Supreme Court has just asked me to work on a project to break the cycle of kids in family court, Juvenile. This will save money by inference.

Audience Q# 6 Endorsement

Zerka- Attacked Weiss Democratic Party endorsement.

Weiss- I was appointed by a republican governor and supported by a cross section of the community to include democrats.

Closing

Weiss- I have history, background and am a role model. From city attorney, to staff attorney for the National Democratic Party during Watergate, 13 years as MSU Trustee, to Prosecutor to Judge I have served the community.

I have integrity and have never been prosecuted for a crime anytime.

[This is the 800 pound gorilla that was hanging in the air-TRB]

Zerka- Its time for a change. A judge should be held in high esteem.

I am example of being wrongly accused. Weiss did not charge me when he was prosecutor but Bush did , [for arson-TRB], I was found not guilty.

I was wrongfully accused. The jury found me not guilty.
End

Submitted By Terry Bankert [TRB]
10/30/06
Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:06 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Carolyn Simms slide in a bit late but was there for most of the debate.

I Must hit upon one of my "Opinions” which takes us off topic a bit. But, this is one of the reasons I believe we need a smaller Council. And a Full time council. So that they are able to be at public functions, have the time to be in the community, afford to live off the wages of council pay and be able to spend their time researching issues for themselves. Thus not accepting every mayoral inadequate fixation or idea as a fact because the mayor said it was so.

But back to the debate. i really didn't feel anyone had ay BIG wins. Many of the questions didn't really have anything to do with what they actually had power to influence or make decisions on. I'm betting Judge Marable was correct when he said Admin was TOP heavy. Government is always TOP Heavy. It's the Nature of the Beast. Pay a lot of people to make decisions and not have enough workers to actually implement the programs or ideas.
Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:47 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Terry can you provide some Unbiased insight into the Arson Thing? What was the aligation? What was he supposed to have burnt down?
Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:56 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
TRB

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
Terry can you provide some Unbiased insight into the Arson Thing? What was the aligation? What was he supposed to have burnt down?

I do not know.
Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:46 am 
Ted J

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1162219859268880.xml&coll=5
I'm just wondering what the point is of undermining the numbers of these public forums. They did it with the Council FOrum/debate saying there was 1/3 what the real number was. And here again. THere were 5 rows of chairs on both sides of the room with approxamately 15 chairs (possibly 20) on each side. It was almost completely full. They pulled a few chairs from along the wall becuase of lack of room. Now had I been reporting on this it would have been.

Forum was attended by approxamately 150 people standing room only. (there was about ten or so empty chairs) It was packed house. Where did they come up with a "50" number? 150 is a long way away from 50.

What could possibly be the purpose of misrepresenting the numbers time and time again. Or is it all that time in college writing. They never took a math class! Now this is not a preception thing! It's what was really there. I'm going to go back and look at my video. But what possible end could there be to mispresent the facts?
Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:28 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Electing Judges, an important democratic process.

In the Nov. 7th election for Family Court [probate] in Genesee County MI, between Robert Weiss and Albert Zerka, Judge Weiss is the best choice. We want judges that have no favorites and make decisions. Judge Weiss has proven himself as a judge who makes decisions, protects the rights of all people and holds the attorneys toes to the fire. We need stability in the Family Court. We need Judge Weiss.

Judges are important!

“We are under a Constitution, but the constitution is what the judges say it is, and the judiciary is the safe guard of our liberty and our property under the constitution.”
Chief Justice Charles Evans Hughes, speech, Elmira N.Y. 1907

Judges protect justice!

“Justice is the tolerable accommodation of the conflicting interests of society, and I don’t believe there is any royal road to attain such accommodation concretely”
Judge Learned Hand, in P. Hamburger, The Great Judge 1946

To be politically active is good citizenship!

“The voice of protest, of warning, of appeal is never more needed than when the clamor of fife and drum, echoed by the press and too often by the pulpit, is bidding all men fall in and keep step and obey in silence the tyrannous world of command. Then, more than ever, it is the duty of the good citizens not to be silent.”
Charles Eliot Norton, True Patriotism, 1898

Attorneys have an obligation to be active politically!

“... all Genesee County attorneys..[should]... stand up for what they believe, regardless of consequences. That is our highest duty and responsibilities as citizen attorneys in a free democratic society.”
Jerome D. Winegarden Jr. 2002

I support Judge Robert Weiss and his candidacy for the Genesee County Family Court November 7 2006.

Terry Bankert
10/31/2006
Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:59 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

Count was about 70 in attendance. With 10 or 15 coming in later.

Zerka was found "Not guilty" of arson of a business he owned. store?

RAP
Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:09 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Probate Court
A clear case for re-electing Robert E. Weiss
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Tuesday, October 31, 2006
http://www.mlive.com/columns/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-2/1162306426205600.xml&coll=5

Genesee Probate Judge Robert E. Weiss has had a long and respectable record
in public office, including the last four and a half years on the county's
Family Division bench. In this oftentimes emotionally draining duty, he is
viewed as having made good decisions involving children, whose welfare have
been an overriding interest for him his entire professional life.

If Weiss is re-elected to a six-year term Nov. 7, that service would
conclude the 67-year-old's judicial career, as he would face mandatory
retirement. There is no reason he shouldn't be retained in this post, and we
recommend voters select him over his opponent, family law attorney Albert A.
Zerka, 43.

While Zerka is personable and appears energetic, we're not persuaded he
would make a better judge than Weiss, whose 13 years as county prosecutor
adds enormously to his community and legal knowledge. He's seen firsthand
the results of family disintegration and drug use that often lead to the
courts taking children from their biological parents.

Weiss sees himself as a no-nonsense jurist, who demands parents get off
drugs if they want custody of their children. In delinquency cases, he says
forcing children to face consequences might keep their misbehavior from
escalating. To his credit, Weiss also calls for more government help to
solve these profound social ills, specifically speaking out for more
residential mental health facilities for youngsters who desperately need
such care.

Zerka faults the hours Weiss keeps, as well as his rulings and the
incumbent's courtroom demeanor. However, Weiss' work output is in line with
other judges and the incumbent notes that none of his 21,000 cases is more
than a year old. Considering all of this, along with the vast difference in
experience between the two, and Weiss is the obvious choice.
Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Friends

Marable earns endorsements for re-election to bench
HOMETOWN HEADLINES
FLINT
http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-40/116239630870700.xml&coll=5
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITIONWednesday, November 01, 2006
By Paul Janczewskipjanczewski@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6333
FLINT - Flint District Judge Herman Marable Jr. has been endorsed by several groups in his re-election bid to the court.
He has been endorsed by the Greater Flint AFL-CIO, the Genesee County Democratic Black Caucus, the Genesee County Democratic Women's Caucus and the Greater Flint Building Trades Council.
Marable said he has also been endorsed by The Family Times and the Flint Enquirer.
Marable also will be at a prayer breakfast from 8:30-10 a.m. Saturday at Fatman's Restaurant, 4028 W. Pierson Road.
The breakfast is hosted by The Friends of Judge Marable Committee in his bid for re-election to the court.
The public is invited to pray, meet and eat with Marable. A buffet-style breakfast will be served.
Additional information may be obtained from the committee at (810) 743-7871, or (248) 352-9188.
- Paul Janczewski
Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:44 pm 
ZERKA FOR JUDGE NOV.7

Enought with the "Arson Charges"
Albert was WRONGFULLY ACCUSED.
If Weiss people think that will change voters opinion they're wrong.
We all know Weiss is scared because for every 2 people that hate Weiss, theres 10 that vote for Zerka.
Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:27 pm 
[x]Weiss

Genesee Probate Judge Robert E. Weiss has had a long and respectable record
in public office, including the last four and a half years on the county's
Family Division bench. In this oftentimes emotionally draining duty, he is
viewed as having made good decisions involving children, whose welfare have
been an overriding interest for him his entire professional life.

If Weiss is re-elected to a six-year term Nov. 7, that service would
conclude the 67-year-old's judicial career, as he would face mandatory
retirement. There is no reason he shouldn't be retained in this post, and we
recommend voters select him over his opponent, family law attorney Albert A.
Zerka, 43.

While Zerka is personable and appears energetic, we're not persuaded he
would make a better judge than Weiss, whose 13 years as county prosecutor
adds enormously to his community and legal knowledge. He's seen firsthand
the results of family disintegration and drug use that often lead to the
courts taking children from their biological parents.

Weiss sees himself as a no-nonsense jurist, who demands parents get off
drugs if they want custody of their children. In delinquency cases, he says
forcing children to face consequences might keep their misbehavior from
escalating. To his credit, Weiss also calls for more government help to
solve these profound social ills, specifically speaking out for more
residential mental health facilities for youngsters who desperately need
such care.
Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:59 am 
Flint Citizen

I think that Zerka has Weiss beat. I can drive down ANY street and see the signs of "Zerka for Judge." As for Weiss, I have not seen any signs around town, nor any phamplets. Sorry Weiss!!
Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:14 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Flint Citizen schreef:
I think that Zerka has Weiss beat. I can drive down ANY street and see the signs of "Zerka for Judge." As for Weiss, I have not seen any signs around town, nor any phamplets. Sorry Weiss!!

keep in mind the signs don't vote.

the other thing is.........

there are lot more people who vote than signs.

So even if say there were 2,000 Zerka signs to say, 500 Weiss signs....
there are 20,000 votes you can't assume what the other 17500 not accounted for [by signs] are going to vote for.

Frankly I haven't seen enough negative buzz/publicuty about Weiss to suggest the voters weren't going to support him...so I suspect he'll win.

But, hey, he's old, this is probably his last campaign. Albert is young, no doubt he & his campaign picked up a ton of experience that will give them an advantage next time, especially if the opponent is a non-incumbent.
Who knows? Maybe Weiss will be asked to be the Spartan's next football coach by Joel Ferguson????

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:37 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: