FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: It's Time to Bring the National Guard to Flint's Streets

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
patclawson
F L I N T O I D

The Governor of Illinois is willing to consider deploying the National Guard to combat Chicago street violence. Why isn't Rick Snyder willing to consider the same here in Flint where our problems are the worst in the nation?

It's long past time that National Guard resources should be used here. It's also long past time that we started considering curfews - and maybe even martial law. It is obvious that the existing law enforecement structure can't deal effectively with the scale of the crime problem in Flint and it is critical that at least a minimal level of safety and security be restored to our residents,

Pat Clawson
Candidate - 49th District House of Representatives
patrickclawson@comcast.net

==========================
SOURCE: CBS CHICAGO
09/21/2013

(CBS) – Gov. Pat Quinn says he would consider using state resources to help combat Chicago street violence, but only if city officials want the assistance.

Speaking about this week’s mass shooting in the Back of the Yards neighborhood, Quinn says he’s open to talking with Mayor Emanuel and Police Supt. Gary McCarthy about supplementing Chicago law enforcement with state police or the Illinois National Guard.

“It has to be done in a coordinated fashion with the local law enforcement, with their full cooperation,” Quinn told reporters Saturday.

He said he’s had no specific conversations, but noted state police are helping patrol in East St. Louis, another city that has its challenges with violent crime.

Talk about using state resources to fight Chicago crime isn’t unprecedented. In 2008, then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich suggested using the state police and National Guard to help Chicago police with “out of control” violence. The comment was widely interpreted as an insult to then-Mayor Richard Daley, with whom Blagojevich was feuding.

Quinn said potential solutions to crime include community efforts to minimize the impact of gangs and early education.

He says he also remains committed to doing something about assault rifles – one is suspected of being used in Thursday’s shooting – and high-capacity ammunition magazines.

“I think anyone who saw what happened in Cornell Park the other night was horrified by the violence. I live on the West Side of Chicago. It is an area that has been inflicted with violence, and we’ve got to protect the people,” Quinn said.

The governor spoke in the Little Village neighborhood Saturday morning at the reopening of a credit union.

Emanuel, appearing at St. Sabina’s later in the day, did not take reporters’ questions and walked off after making a statement about the event there, a basketball “Peace Tournament” featuring NBA stars.

#####
Post Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:08 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

National Guard?? Ya right, the first time some member "busts a cap" so to speak on some young black thug who's "just turning his life around" you will have Al And Jesse on their way to Flint and Obama on the tube proclaiming if he had a son he would look like the deceased. That is if the Guardsmen and women were actually allowed live ammo in the first place.

Post Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:32 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Even the National Guard cannot undo the decades of disinvestment and the mismanagement of federal grants that contributed to the high poverty rates and unemployment. The state warned politicians and others of the coming loss of manufacturing jobs and the rise of low paying service jobs. The federal government added to the problems when they initially cut COPs grants and Byrnes grants.

The failure of the current Police administration to implement policies and cooperate with task forces had led to the entrenchment of Chicago and LA based gangs and the drug trade. Every day there are heroin overdoses throughout the county. FBI reports indicate Flint is one of the major drug hubs in the state and it serves as a conduit for other areas within the state.

Michigan does not have the money or the prison space to incarcerate all of the criminals. However, I find your National Guard idea and curfews interesting. If it led to even a few young people not following the drug trade, it might be worthwhile.
Post Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:40 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

So just what would the guard be doing?? Arresting those punks out after curfew and taking them where. Home, jail a tent?? What happens when Mr. baggy drawers resists? How many National guard members know the laws? By the way just how many of these gangsta drug dealers do you think would accept a 9-5 job at say $12 an hour if it was offered? Flints so far gone nothing will bring it back and nothing will deter the thug punks who control so much of it.

Would like to add what happens when a dozen or so illegally armed baggy pants punks start taunting and challenging the guard which you know will happen or worse start firing at them when they discover that the libs behind this fiasco would not allow the Guard to carry live ammo. Sound preposterous not really. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A stunning report released Wednesday night at the national security newsletter NightWatch says that U.S. Marines guarding the embassy in Cairo were not allowed to carry live ammunition, thereby limiting their ability to protect the facility when it came under attack, the Washington Free Beacon said Thursday.

According to NightWatch, U.S. Ambassador to Egypt Anne Patterson "did not permit US Marine guards to carry live ammunition, according to USMC blogs. Thus she neutralized any US military capability that was dedicated to preserve her life and protect the US Embassy."

Post Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:43 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: