FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Local Politicians Should Work To Get Toyota Factory
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Instead of Crying about GM leaving, High Crime, High Unemployment Rates, Lots of Murders, Senate Candiate Cleaning up parks.. Why not work together on such a venture like this????

Toyota to Build Two Plants in North America
Reuters
TOKYO (Oct. 2Cool - Toyota Motor Corp. will build two assembly plants in North America, Japan's Mainichi newspaper reported on Saturday.

Toyota is considering building a plant in northern part of Midwest to assemble Yaris compact cars which are selling well, the Japanese daily said.

The plant, with the annual production capacity of 200,000 units, was expected to be operational in 2009, it said.

Toyota will also build another plant in North America to start producing sport utility vehicles around 2010, it said.

Toyota will decide where to build the assembly plants by the end of this year, the daily said.

Toyota officials were not immediately available for comment.
Post Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

While this is a good idea... you need to look at the problems you just mentioned as to why they won't. My first reaction was to think your nuts! However, maybe we should. My own thought was to have Flint citizens take the time to write their congressmen and Representatives and All government officials in an attempt to get the Federal government to build us a new jail. Considering they will spend 229,000,000.00 each to build bridges to almost nowhere in Alaska. This may not be a bad idea. I'll do some searches and see who i might want to write!

Now as far as why they won't. It is for just all the reasons you had just mentioned.
quote:
High Crime, High Unemployment Rates, Lots of Murders, Senate Candidate Cleaning up parks
These are the reasons they probably wouldn't come. So how do we defend our High crime rates and turn that into a positive attribute that might make them want to come here? Or the fact that our High School drop out rates leaves us with the label of having a highly uneducated available workforce? Or the fact that if they decided to build a plant here in Flint that they won't get shot or car jacked on their way to work? Or that our elected officials use their office to serve themselves and not the community they were elected to serve.

I'll be glad to help begin the campaign to write Toyota and ask them to come here. I'm just interested in how you plan on turning these obvious negatives into a positive to make Flint desirable to Toyota to come here and build a plant. It is an imaginative idea.

Ryan, Have you ever been to Japan? Do you even have a clue as to what they look or how they operate as company in the US? We would need to write them a letter, or many letters, highlighting the things they are looking for. Not just beg them to come here.
Post Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
While this is a good idea... you need to look at the problems you just mentioned as to why they won't. My first reaction was to think your nuts! However, maybe we should. This may not be a bad idea. I'll do some searches and see who i might want to write!

Ted its worth a try, I mean I am all about American Car Companies and BUY AMERICAN. However, since Pandora's box has been opened and we are flooded with foreign cars. Why not take a bad situation and make it into a good one???

I am a believer that if we can get more good paying jobs here in Flint, or even decent paying jobs, things will improve here. I know a lot of people who want to work, but the jobs just aren't out there right now.
Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

OK, but how about responding to the questions??

1st off. You'd be surprised (obviously) to know that most toyotas built in the US are made with more American Made parts than GM, Ford or Chrysler!

So how do we defend our High crime rates and turn that into a positive attribute that might make them want to come here?

Or the fact that our High School drop out rates leaves us with the label of having a highly uneducated available workforce?

Or the fact that if they decided to build a plant here in Flint that they won't get shot or car jacked on their way to work?

Or that our elected officials use their office to serve themselves and not the community they were elected to serve?

Your the one that put the idea out there! How about some ideas on how to go about it. We've got some pretty Steep negatives to overcome. So how do we do it?
Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
larry

thats the attitude ryan work together
Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:35 am 
Chris

Ryan would you please run for mayor? I have watched you since you were in high school, and always thought "Damn that boy will be Mayor someday!"

Back in the day when you fought to save autoworld. I think your a good guy, who truley cares about da flint town
Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:45 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
larry schreef:
thats the attitude ryan work together

Thanks for the good word Larry. I believe in Flint and know we will turn around. We always have. It started out in Fur Trade, then the fur was gone, we then did lumber, then the land was clear of good lumber, we switched to Carriages/Bicycles, then we went to the Horseless Carriage, then into the Automobile. We have evolved throughout history, and we will and shall evolve again. The people of this great city have it in their blood to be hard working and to survive.

These hard times are only history repeating its self, we shall over come this too. We need to all think positive, work hard to make Flint better.
Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:12 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
OK, but how about responding to the questions??

1st off. You'd be surprised (obviously) to know that most Toyotas built in the US are made with more American Made parts than GM, Ford or Chrysler!

~ I agree, and if AMERICAN workers are making them, we should embrace them!

So how do we defend our High crime rates and turn that into a positive attribute that might make them want to come here?

~ The high crime rate will only reduce with more jobs and more money in the city coffers. The high crime rate is something that if we work on, more police, less abandon houses, more jobs it will subside.

Or the fact that our High School drop out rates leaves us with the label of having a highly uneducated available workforce?

Lets be honest here, that shouldn't effect their decision. We have building Automobiles, and working in factories in our blood.. ( yes even still today)
Flintstone's have built more cars than any other in the world.

Or the fact that if they decided to build a plant here in Flint that they won't get shot or car jacked on their way to work?

~ I agree that we have too many murders here, but lets be honest we have had 43?? How many have occurred in the shop, close to the shop?? None that I know of. Crime happens in every city, Grand Blanc, Knoville TN, St. Louis, L.A. Chicago etc...

Or that our elected officials use their office to serve themselves and not the community they were elected to serve?

~ Unfortunately, that's what most Politicians do, Republican or Democrat.. It goes hand and hang with the job now a days. Only because WE allow it to happen.

Your the one that put the idea out there! How about some ideas on how to go about it. We've got some pretty Steep negatives to overcome. So how do we do it?

I think we need to attract any job we can get, who cares if its not General Motors or U.A.W. Our Citizens need jobs, and to put food on the table. General Motors has left us high and dry. If we continue to think that GM will come back and SAVE us, than we will surely continue to struggle.
Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:21 pm 
steve

ok here is the solution .jobs are hard to come by in flint but even the lowest scumebag has worked hard to make flint 3 wost city , and if they will work that hard imagin if they had a honest job.

as for flint education there are a lot of older drug addicted loosers on the street that sumhow have the brains to feed there habit yet are still alive. and ask a dealer the fourmula of coverting coke into crack .

thanks to 2005 House Bill 5143 (Repeal “duty to retreat” in self defense )
www.michiganvotes.org/2005-HB-5143 we can meet THUGS with the same force they would use in us. and in time it should make us all safer.

also flint michigan is known for good manufacturing work force no matter what the U.A.W (u aint working) mafia OOPS i mean union has done, namley for years making unreasonable demands and going on strike made it atractive for the democrats to give us NAFTA and send jobs away.

and finaly make the state lower the tax on bussiness and that alone will make michigan more attractive to companys.

sorry all about the spelling.
Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:53 pm 
Karen

Ryan can I help in some way? Anything I can do to help you get TOYOTA here in Flint Michigan? Please let me know, I want to help. I can donate my time or some money to get the campaign going.

Karen

davisonsupporter@hotmail.com
Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:32 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
~ The high crime rate will only reduce with more jobs and more money in the city coffers. The high crime rate is something that if we work on, more police, less abandon houses, more jobs it will subside.

Ryan? In What world?? Come back to earth please. NEVER EVER in any city in the USA has Crime dropped becuase jobs came to town! It's always followed. Crime drops, jobs come! It's that simple. New Yorl did it under Mayor Rudy! Unemployment and poverty increased and crime droppped! It seems that only in cities where city leaders excuse crime because of such definiative excuses as poverty and unemployment that in those cities, crie does seem to increase! Why do you want to put the cart before the horse! It's easier for a horse to pull a cart in a harness. Then to have a horse push a cart!

quote:
Lets be honest here, that shouldn't effect their decision. We have building Automobiles, and working in factories in our blood.. ( yes even still today)
Flintstone's have built more cars than any other in the world.

Does your company want intelligent workers who can think or the "cheapest" labor you can find? Here is an article about Toyota's choice of Ontario as compared to some locations where they could have found more government incentives or less expensive labor.

"Several U.S. states were reportedly prepared to offer more than double that amount of subsidy. But Fedchun said much of that extra money would have been eaten away by higher training costs than are necessary for the Woodstock project.

He said Nissan and Honda have encountered difficulties getting new plants up to full production in recent years in Mississippi and Alabama due to an untrained - and often illiterate - workforce. In Alabama, trainers had to use 'pictorials' to teach some illiterate workers how to use high-tech plant equipment."

Alabama, Toyota and Honda officials say these claims aren't true. The comments from Ontario probably reflect bias or urban legend more than fact. But still, the choice between "good" and "cheap", usually drives Toyota to "good" workers, no matter what location, Canada or Alabama."
quote:

Do you ever read about a subject before you start making ridiculous statements!?!

quote:

What business owners are you talking too? The ones I'm talking too are building their businesses and then moving out of the city! The two I talked to in the last two days. Just moved out! Thier response to me. "Are you NUTS? Why once I can afford to move out. WOuld I stay in Flint? The Mayor here uses the police as his own gestopo and won't go after criminals that break inot my buisness or my property." YES That was thier response. I've known them for years. Before they even had those businesses.

~ I agree that we have too many murders here, but lets be honest we have had 43?? How many have occurred in the shop, close to the shop?? None that I know of. Crime happens in every city, Grand Blanc, Knoville TN, St. Louis, L.A. Chicago etc...
quote:

Yes crime happen everywhere. But, how flint handles it is so compeltely different than anyplace else in the USA. Only in FLint will the Mayor send out police to roust church "Teen" functions or break up weddings and birthday parties. Becuase, they are being held in violation of some unknown law! (They are his political opponets). No where else that I can find that a city FINES the victim for being victumised! Only in Flint! I can see toyota NOW. We can't wait to build a plant in a city where if thier cars are stolen from the lot. The city Fines toyota for getting their car s stolen!

~ Unfortunately, that's what most Politicians do, Republican or Democrat.. It goes hand and hang with the job now a days. Only because WE allow it to happen.

quote:

Now there is something I can wholeheartedly agree with. Thus the reason I spend so much time writing letters and talking about this stuff on my TV show! I'm sick of it! I just don't udnerstand why the best and simplist solutions cannot be had! To Paraphrase and change it alittle an Marine quote "uncommonsense is a common virtue"
Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:24 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Well Ted, if we don't try, we will never get more jobs here. If we don't ask, we will never know. If more people start asking, demanding, marketing, promoting, hell the sky is the limit.

What a great way to connect to the "Middle Class". Get down in dirty, build a factory in The Big 3's Heartland, build in where the middle class will appreciate it. Where the hard working people of Flint Michigan have been screwed over.

Can you imagine how good the publicity would be if they built a Factory in Flint Michigan, Birthplace of General Motors and The United Auto Workers?

Talk about sticking it to them, I think America then would say Good for Toyota! Bring jobs, Tax Dollars into an semi economically depressed area.
Helping build up a city, that GM had robbed.

I think it would be a good think for a company to do. That would take balls to do, and would send a message to Hard working Americans! Yeah it maybe a foreign car company, but its creating jobs right here in Flint Michigan.

At this point we need to do anything and everything we can do bring jobs here. One more job, is one more than we had. One more person working. I am sick and tired of local politicians only worrying about themselves and not The People of the City of Flint.

I think we should all push like hell to get this plant built here. I have lots of hard working relatives that were born and raised on the East Side of Flint, that know how to build a Quality Automobile.
Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:20 am 
Dan

bless You. ZZZzzz Zzzzz ZZZZzzzz
* wipes drool from face*

I almost fell alseep reading that, sounds like another Dayne Walling to me

Flints dead, move on, move out, don't forget to turn off da lights
Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:32 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Ryan, I'm all for trying.
This is the only thing. There is a natural system or process to get anything done. It's a list of written of unwritten processes that have to be accomplished in order to "GET ER DONE!"

I've been watching and planning for some time as to how to get this laof of jobs turned around. I've already proposed a that we a city have some cummintiy functions that actually accomplish something. Not these stupid get together and talk and cry and pray about a issue. I've mentioned it already. A couple different ideas.

While I like your idea for contacting toyota as the public. We need to first lay down a foundation before sending the letter. Flint's biggest Problem has been the GM thnking style. Lets make a BUCK today, and let someone else down the road have to deal with the consequences of todays actions. Instead of preparing for the future. Look at all the rehabilitations that down town has gone through in the last 20 years? millions on top of millions wasted becuase no one laid a foundation or planned, or maintained the plan for things to grow.

Take the time to read some of the letters I've written council. You'll see those ideas I've suggested. Damn, too many of them don't require federal grant money, they are easy to do. So officials won't be able to look good themselves if the city followed the ideas.
Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:10 am 
Jim

Thats a boy Teddie. Be nice now! Larry will be nice back
Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:39 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: