FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Bring back Flint's gang unit

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I watched with interest as students in Detroit went to the Board of Police Commissioners to to protest the disbanding of the gang unit. They presented their case in a well thought out strategy that argued the transfers amounted to a reorganization ans as such needed to be approved by the Board of Commissioners. Although leaders had stated these officers would be returnrd to patrol, most would have returnrd to detective status and there would be little or no impact on patrol.

When Flint had both a gang unit and the CATT unit there was hope that the gangs could be brought under at last a semblence of control. The CATT team was so effective that the gangs posted "CATT Killa" grafitti on Franklin Avenue in nearly 3 feet high letters.

Sheriff Pickell was right as the multi juisdictional specialized task force units have been successful in breaking up and disrupting the activities of major criminal units. Flint needs his help and at the very least a gang unit.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:14 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

From the FBI 2011 Gang Threat assessment

Non-Traditional Gangs

Hybrid Gangs

The expansion of hybrid gangs—non-traditional gangs with multiple affiliations—is a continued phenomenon in many jurisdictions nationwide. Because of their multiple affiliations, ethnicities, migratory nature, and nebulous structure, hybrid gangs are difficult to track, identify, and target as they are transient and continuously evolving. Furthermore, these multi-ethnic, mixed-gender gangs pose a unique challenge to law enforcement because they are adopting national symbols and gang members often crossover from gang to gang. Hybrid gangs are of particular concern to law enforcement because members often escalate their criminal activity in order to gain attention and respect.

Hybrid gangs, which are present in at least 25 states, are fluid in size and structure, yet tend to adopt similar characteristics of larger urban gangs, including their own identifiers, rules, and recruiting methods.11 Like most street gangs, hybrid gang members commit a multitude of street and violent crime.12 Law enforcement reporting suggests that hybrid gangs have evolved from neighborhood crews that formed to expand drug trafficking, or from an absence of or loyalty to nationally recognized gangs in their region.

■Law enforcement officials in many jurisdictions nationwide report an increase in juvenile gang membership and violent crime among hybrid and local gangs, according to 2010 NGIC reporting.
■NGIC reporting indicates that hybrid gangs are dominating nationally recognized gangs in some jurisdictions and merging with other gangs to expand their membership.
Hybrid and Almighty Latin King Nation (ALKN) Gang Members Arrested on Drug Charges

In November 2010, hybrid gang members in Pontiac, Michigan, known the “New World Order,” were charged along with members of the ALKN for numerous drug offenses. Several guns, drugs, dozens of cell phones and $10,000 in cash were
seized by FBI, DEA and local police departments. Many of the gang members arrested were juveniles and young adults.

Source: Online article “7 Members of 2 Gangs n Pontiac Face Drug charges” MyFoxdetroit.com; November 14, 2010
Post Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:17 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

It was over 10 years ago that the evidence of hybrid gangs in the Flint area became evident. At the end of Clovis Street in the Beesher area of Mt Morris Township grafitti ran for almost two blocks along the concrete wall that serves as a sound barrier from I-475. It was ther that I first saw beautiful grafitti that defied definition. A Gangster Disciple Heart has six wings and yet these hearts had only five wings. Other symbols were a combination of Gangster Disciple and typical Vice lord symbols. There was other evidence of a union of two groups typically thought to be enemies.

Then there was a small rag tag group calling themselves FTM. They were multi racial and claimed prior diverse gang affiliations. Some were from the 11th and ML King area.

I saw their grafitti all along the Cleveland and Poplar Street area by Kearsley Park. I was photographing their grafitti when they seemed to come out of nowhere, I just kept on shooting film. Luckily I had a friend with me who got out of the car and talked to them. My friend was on disability and later claimed my friend gave them money to buy paint for more grafitti. My friend did not have the money and no one would pay for more of some of the worst grafitti Flint had ever seen.

There are signs of these hybrid gangs all around Flint. They are considered by the authorities to be dangerous and becoming more prevalent.
Post Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:32 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

From Robert Walker's GangRUs

Definitions of Gangs

What is a criminal street gang? What is a prison gang?

Webster's Dictionary defines a gang as:

A group of persons working to unlawful or antisocial ends; for example, a band of antisocial adolescents or,

A group of persons having informal and close relations.

The above definition obviously does not fit the definition needed to describe a street gang.

What is the definition of a criminal street gang or a gang member in your state? There is no national criminal street gang definition.

Many states have passed gang-related legislation which, for the most part, includes a gang definition. Law enforcement entities in those states that have not passed legislation, also have many definitions for a gang. Each definition is designed to fit the desired requirements to identify gangs through federal or state statute or departmental policy.

Definitions run the risk of initiating a wave of anti-gang hysteria and the ensuing array of ineffective and costly anti-gang activities: namely, curfews and sweeps --the unfortunate, but prevailing strategies currently used in many parts of the country.

Without some kind of working definition, another commonly occurring predicament soon surfaces. Generalizations are applied to white supremacy groups, bikers, Asian gangs, African American and Latino gangs alike when in reality there are clearly discernable differences among these groups (Bureau of Justice. Assistance-Program 2, 14,30- l991).

Criminal Street Gang Definition

A generic definition that may serve as a guideline for those states that do not have a criminal street gang definition is as follows:

A criminal street gang may be defined as a group of people who form an allegiance for a common purpose, who engage in criminal activity, and who conform to one or more of the following traits.

1. share a common group name;
2. share common symbols, tattoos, or graffiti;
3. share a common style of dress;
4. frequently congregate upon, or lay claim to a geographic location; and,
5. associate together on a regular or continuous basis.

Gang Member Definition

The following may be considered in identifying a gang member:

Gang membership may involve very different levels of commitment and participation. The type of commitment and participation needs to be delineated to establish a level of membership for each identified participant. A person will be identified as a gang member if he or she meets two or more of the following criteria:

1. An individual admits membership to a group which meets the criteria of a gang.
2. A reliable informant identifies an individual as a gang member.
3. An informant of previously untested reliability identifies an individual as a gang member and such identification is corroborated by independent information.
4. An individual resides in or frequents a particular gang's area and adopts it style of dress, use of hand signs, symbols or tattoos and/or associates with known gang members.
5. An individual has been arrested in the company of identified gang members for offenses which are consistent with gang activity.

Identifying a gang associate

Using the above criteria, a gang associate may be identified:

As a gang associate if he or she meets any one of the above listed criteria

The following are examples of state gang statutes:

A criminal street gang in Arizona is defined as:

an ongoing formal or informal association of persons whose members or associates individually or collectively engage in the commission, attempted commission, facilitation or solicitation of any felony act and who has at least one individual who is a criminal street gang member.

In Delaware a criminal street gang means:

Any ongoing organization, association, or group of 3 or more persons, whether formal or informal, having as one of its primary activities the commission of one or more of the criminal acts enumerated in Subdivision (a)(2) of this section, having a common name or common identifying sign or symbol, and whose members individually or collectively engage in or have engaged in a pattern of criminal gang activity.

And in Florida a criminal street gang is:

A formal or informal ongoing organization, association, or group that has as one of its primary activities the commission of criminal or delinquent acts, and that consists of three or more persons who have a common name or common identifying signs, colors, or symbols and have two or more members who, individually or collectively, engage in or have engaged in a pattern of criminal street gang activity.

The key to the any gang definition is the phrase, "engage in criminal activity" or other similar wording. There are many legitimate fraternal groups, boys and girls clubs, sports teams and other organizations that have a common name and who may wear a particular uniform or articles of clothing.

State of Georgia

The State of Georgia Street Gang Prevention and Terrorism Act has a very good definition of a "gang", in that it not only defines what a gang is, but also defines what a gang is not. This is accomplished by adding the following language:

"Such term (definition of gang) shall not include three or more persons, associated in fact, whether formal or informal, who are not engaged in criminal gang activity."

The entire Georgia statute, along with the other state statutes, may be viewed below.

Security Threat Groups - STG

Many departments of corrections use the term "Security Threat Group" (STG) to classify some prison gangs within their individual departments. Prison gangs, like street gangs, thrive on publicity to intimidate and to enhance their power and reputation. The term STG directly relates to the security of institutional operations and is used to eliminate the recognition the gangs seek.

Security Threat Group Definition

A typical definition of a Security Threat Group might include the following:

• The (Name of the Department) Security Threat Group policy defines an STG as any formal or informal organization, association, or group of three (3) or more inmates that have a common name, and whose members or associates engage or have engaged in two (2) or more activities that include planning, organizing, threatening, financing, soliciting or committing unlawful acts or acts of misconduct classified as serious threats or potential threats to the safety and security of the public, the Department, employees, visitors and/or other inmates.

Hybrid Gangs

New youth gangs are formed almost daily throughout the country. Although many of these gangs call themselves the same names of the older, traditional gangs, they are in no way, representative of the original gang. These gangs are known as hybrid or copycat gangs.

While the predecessor gang may have been formed along race, ethnicity and cultural lines, the hybrid gang is usually a mixture of races and ethnicities. They may use colors from several gangs and may even use the colors of rival gangs. An example of this would be for a hybrid Crip set to use the color red instead of the traditional color of blue. They may also do the same with signs and symbols used in their graffiti and tattoos. Whereas the older, traditional gangs may have some semblance of leadership and/or codes of conduct, the hybrid gangs do not.

Law enforcement and those who provide information about gangs need to recognize that not all gangs wearing blue, or black are Crips or Gangster Disciples, nor are all gangs who wear red, affiliated with the Bloods.

We must all become aware of the differences of the gangs of today.

Criminal Street Gang Definitions - State by State

Gang related definitions
NEW = State and Federal Definitions of Gang Terms - PDF Format

NEW - State of Georgia 2007 Street Gang Terrorism and Prevention Act

Georgia Gang Act
NEW - State of South Carolina 2007 Criminal Gang Prevention Act

SC Gang Act
Post Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:41 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

I think we should have police respond to 911 calls and not take them off of 911 calls for the task forces and seatbelt patrols. In addition I think we should legalize our medical marijuana dispensaries instead of shutting them down in favor of gangbanger dispensers.

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:32 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Adam-your response is reactive and not proactive. A proactive police department can help reduce the number of 911 calls. It was special units that pinpointed specific criminal activity and captured the crews before they could continue their crime spree. This worked very well in the college cultural area with some robbery rings. This is an old concept that works well today.

It would be wise for you to seek out and discuss this issue with some high ranking LEOs. The police union can help you too.
Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:23 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Yeah so knowing that there is police for our seatbelt task force but none for 911 calls should make me feel safe? We do need some investigators but the drug task forces seem useless at best. I think emergency 911 calls are more important than FANG.

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:43 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The seat belt task force is a State of Michigan program that pays for officers from all over the county.
Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:08 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

FANG also seems useless. We probably have at least 10,000 illegal drig users in Fline if not 20 or 30,000. We probably have at least another 30,000 outside of Flint. We couldn't begin to afford the prison costs to house them.
Rick should divert our seatbelt patrol money to emergency 911 calls response money.

Post Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:34 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: