FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: More FLINT 2013 violence
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
twotap
F L I N T O I D

"In urban America, our young men are playing with what's accessible, and what is accessible is guns. There are too many guns."

No, their are just too many of those young men who play with guns. Quit spawning and raising thugs. Rolling Eyes

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:58 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Lost a lot of sleep last night. I thought I heard shots, but they were in the distance. Scanners reported shots Wolcott & Ballenger and in the 1300 block of Donaldson. But my neighbors dog, a shepherd and Irish Wolfhound mix, barked almost non stop for over 2 hours. My dogs rushed to both door and growled for hours.

The scanners said police were tracking a suspected home invasion culprit in the Clio Rd, Dayton & Dartmouth area. Probably explains the helicopter that lingered for a long time and sounded like it was almost on the roof.
Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:59 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I accidently stumbled into a large drug site last summer. It has grown since then and yet it is allowed to continue by the Flint authorities. I have been told there have been efforts to shut it down for over 2 years. At least one murder is linked to this location and more in close proximity.

This is unacceptable and the current Flint administration needs to explain why this and other such open drug sales sites are allowed to not only continue but grow. They operate like a large open air market with more than one sales person.
Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:04 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Williamson got angry when individuals painted on the street near the rock at 12th street. The paint when wet made driving dangerous. People fought to keep the rock available for graffiti.

Three individuals have been arrested in the murder of 16 year old Wesley Gillmore in the 100 block of Tobias. M-Live commenters have speculated on whether it was race or gang related. A RIP tribute to Gillmore is not totally unexpected, but why throw all the Cobra gang signs on the Rock tribute too. It makes it seem as if he were just another gangbanger and no one to really grieve. I am sure this is not what the Gillmore and Villagomez families wanted.

Nor is this the first time the Rock has been used for gang graffiti.
Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:11 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Could have predicted. The huge RIP on the rock has been defaced by blue Gangster Disciple graffiti across the face of the rock.

Down ML king around the Stanley market are RIP tributes to Big Pooter with six pointed stars. Seriously now, how are we to take a gangbanger who has a street name of Pooter?

At 9 am with a temp of 19 degrees some dedicated drug dealers were out on Gillespie and Marvin.

Flint north of 5th Avenue is really looking shaky with more abandoned homes. Areas I drove a month ago have way more abandoned homes now than then. Some streets, like Wolcott east of Chevrolet, are over 40% gone. The percentage is higher on some streets farther north.
Post Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:11 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The daily reports of incidents is on the Flint Police Department website. However today is the 25th and nothing has been posted since 11/20/2013. Hope they haven't quit already.
Post Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:22 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
The daily reports of incidents is on the Flint Police Department website. However today is the 25th and nothing has been posted since 11/20/2013. Hope they haven't quit already.
If you read those posted reports you can see why the new Chief says the crime rates are down. There are more calls than are being reported there. Would also be a clue as to why the discrepancy in reporting local crime stats to FBI.
Post Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:52 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

It might depend on the definition on what crime will be posted. The site only reports a small amount of what is on the scanners. Why aren't heroin overdoses being reported for example. The site is subjective and possibly whoever has the responsibility does not care.
Post Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:05 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Several days ago a friend announced they had discovered a drug house on Avenue B when they were looking at the progress in Smith Village. I told them that I believed I knew the house they were speaking of. Nearly the whole family had drug convictions while showing this address as their residence.

When I made a comment to another friend, they told me the drug house at this location was pretty much common knowledge. My question is why is it still in operation? And why are city officials allowing a drug house n the middle of their new housing development?

I remember when the city was renovating homes in Smith Village. The primary purpose was to bring the older home owner homes up to code. HUD was allowing money above the normal limit to make exterior changes so the older homes would not stand in stark contrast to the new homes. That strategy did not succeed and the older homes in the midst of the new are a stark contrast.

My observation and belief was that poor choices over which homes to renovate by Salem Housing created HUGE cost over runs and fewer homes were completed. Walls actually fell during the rehabs and the residents went to the media and council to complain about shoddy work. I wonder how the city is going to deal with this.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:36 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint man pleads guilty to federal crack charge while on probation for other drug crime

Gary Ridley | gridley@mlive.com By Gary Ridley | gridley@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on November 29, 2013 at 5:00 PM, updated November 29, 2013 at 5:05 PM

FLINT, MI -- A Flint man is facing time in prison on a federal drug charge after authorities discovered crack cocaine in his home while he was on probation for another drug crime.

Travis Armon Conner, 35, pleaded guilty Tuesday, Nov. 26, in Flint U.S. District Court after he was arrested in July on the city's north side.

Police executed an arrest warrant July 12 for Conner on allegations that he violated probation. Officers arrived at a home in the 500 block of East Harriet Street and discovered Conner in the upstairs master bedroom of the home, according to court records.

Officers asked Conner if there were any weapons present in the home and he said there was a handgun under the mattress, according to court records. Police obtained a search warrant and also discovered more than 16 grams of crack cocaine, a razor blade, a glass cutting board, a digital scale and plastic baggies under the bed.

Conner was on probation at the time for an April 29 sentence for maintaining a drug vehicle.

Court records show Conner has other previous convictions for drugs, carrying a concealed weapon and domestic violence.

Sentencing is scheduled for March 25. The plea agreement calls for Conner to serve more than four years in federal prison.
Post Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:22 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Drug dealer punches man in face, threatens his family after he fails to be a lookout

Amanda Emery | aemery@mlive.com By Amanda Emery | aemery@mlive.com
Follow on Twitter
on November 29, 2013 at 11:00 PM, updated November 29, 2013 at 11:01 PM

FLINT, MI -- A man was punched in the face and his family threatened by a drug dealer for not watching the door as he made a sale, according to a police report.
The man told police he was near the corner of Jane Avenue on Thursday, Nov. 28, around 7 a.m. when the assault took place. He said the suspect punched him for not watching the door while he made a drug deal.

According to the report, after the man was struck in the face he got into his vehicle and went to is mother's home. Police said the alleged drug dealer also threatened to hurt the man's family if he retaliated against him.

No further information was released.

Amanda Emery is a police reporter for MLive-Flint Journal. Contact her at aemery@mlive.com or 810-285-0792. Follow her on Twitter or Facebook
Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:05 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Woman taken to hospital after man asking for money in Flint punched her

Chris Aldridge | caldridg@mlive.com By Chris Aldridge | caldridg@mlive.com
on November 29, 2013 at 6:30 PM, updated November 29, 2013 at 6:37 PM

FLINT, MI – A woman was taken to an area hospital after she was punched in the face by a man asking for money, according to a police report.

The woman told police she was approached by the man after she stepped off a bus onto South Saginaw Street near Madison Avenue.

After she told the man she did not have money, the man called her a liar and struck her in the face with his fist, fleeing in a vehicle afterward, according to the report.

Police say the woman was later listed in good condition. The incident occurred Wednesday, Nov. 27, around 7:15 a.m.
Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:13 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Before 10 pm last night a man riding a bike shot another man in the leg in the vicinity of the McDonalds at Carpenter and Saginaw Street.
Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:15 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

This story will have you shaking your head on so many levels!

Woman has vehicle stolen in Flint while searching for drugs

Roberto Acosta | racosta1@mlive.com By Roberto Acosta | racosta1@mlive.com
on December 01, 2013 at 5:20 PM, updated December 01, 2013 at 5:30 PM

FLINT, MI -- A woman alleges her vehicle was stolen Thursday, Nov. 28 by a man helping her search for a place to buy drugs in Flint, according to a police report.
She was traveling in the vehicle around 9:45 p.m. in the 700 block of North Saginaw Street with a man in his 40s searching for a place to purchase drugs when he became upset and pulled her out of the vehicle and drove away.

There was no plate on the vehicle, with a false paper plate inside the rear window, and the woman said she had purchased the vehicle from an unknown person in April 2013 and had not transferred the title.

No injuries were sustained by the woman during the incident. Police said there were no witnesses and they have not location the vehicle in question.

Roberto can be reached by phone at 810-429-3865, email at racosta1@mlive.com, on Facebook at Roberto Acosta Journalist, Roberto Acosta on Google Plus or on Twitter @racostaJourno.
Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:47 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Editorial: Reclassifying Flint arsons won't help solve problem

Lauren Justice | MLive.com A fire broke out at the Otto W. Liebold, an abandoned meat packaging building and one ladder truck was sent from Davison to manage the fire. The building was put on the demolition list in January, says Battalion Chief Andy Graves.

Lauren Justice | ljustice@mlive.com

MLive/Flint Journal opinion By MLive/Flint Journal opinion
on December 01, 2013 at 9:00 AM, updated December 01, 2013 at 9:13 AM

The following is an opinion of The Flint Journal Editorial Board.

FLINT, MI -- It is often said that the first step to recovery is acknowledging there’s a problem. The saying holds true in the case of Flint’s massive arson epidemic.

Flint is burning -- vacant house by vacant house -- leaving the city with the nation’s highest per-capita arson rate of cities larger than 100,000 people.

So we disagree with Flint Fire Chief David Cox’s recent change in the way the city categorizes suspected arsons. The way Cox sees it, vacant structure fires that don’t have suspects or witnesses should not be investigated or classified as arson – a change that will almost certainly result in a sharp decrease in the number of Flint arsons reported in federal crime statistics.

In other words, Flint might still have the same number of vacant structures burning throughout its neighborhoods – but that wouldn’t be reflected on paper for the benefit of the general public or the federal agencies, such as the FBI and Federal Emergency Management Agency, that award grant funding.

The change in approach has sparked legitimate concern that this would mask Flint’s true arson problem.

Flint needs a full and accurate account of exactly how draining arsons are on the city’s taxpayer funded resources in order to have any hope of rectifying the situation. We can’t fix the problem by pretending it doesn’t exist.

It’s understandable given the city’s extremely limited resources that Cox would want to alter or reorganize the way the fire and police departments investigate arsons. But to change the way the city actually reports these dangerous fires could have severe unintended consequences.

The potential fallout was already hinted at by a Michigan State Police official, who said Flint “could risk their chances of receiving federal grant monies if they don’t report accurate statistics.” That was in response to Flint’s inconsistent reporting in 2012, when the city listed 352 arsons to FEMA in an application for fire department grant funding, but only reported 226 arsons to the FBI.

Underreporting the numbers simply sends the wrong message -- that Flint is more interested in its image than tackling one of its most pressing problems.

Yes, having the nation’s highest arson rate is embarrassing. No city wants that title. But minimizing the problem would be even worse.
Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:02 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: