FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Walling-Stricter gun control for 2013 to slow violence

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint Mayor Dayne Walling calls for stricter gun control as city matches homicide record

By Kristin Longley | klongley1@mlive.com
on December 31, 2012 at 4:00 PM

FLINT, MI -- Flint Mayor Dayne Walling called for increased gun control on Monday, Dec. 31, a day after a deadly shooting claimed the city's 66th homicide victim, matching the record number of killings set in 2010.
"The plague of gun violence claimed too many lives this year in Flint," Walling said. "With more than 60 lives lost in homicides, the city has again reached a dreadful record."

Walling said that while Flint struggles with a number of root causes of violence, "it is clear that the problem of illegal and military-style guns is widespread and is a major contributing factor to the homicide levels."

He said serious state and federal reforms are needed.

Walling is part of a coalition called Mayors Against Illegal Guns that, in the wake of the school shooting in Newtown, Conn., has called on President Obama to take action on gun control reforms.

It's agenda includes requiring every gun buyer to pass a criminal background check; banning high-capacity rifles and ammunition magazines for civilians; and increased penalties for illegal gun trafficking, among other items.

Locally, Walling said Flint's public safety plan will continue to be a top priority in 2013.

"Local steps will be taken to improve response times, enforce tough penalties, and work better with the community," he said. "But a comprehensive solution to gun violence requires serious reforms at the federal and state levels to prevent dangerous individuals from attaining firearms and to get military-style assault weapons off our streets."
Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:14 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Aren't the state Police here to address weapons and isn't there now federal prosecution for "selected" gun cases. I am told the feds "cherry pick" their cases.

Flint cops know the community and are better able to deal with much of the crime. The new officers won't start training until after the new year.

I have to admit, the task forces created by the federal government that worked with local Flint officers and Sherrif deputies cleared a lot of crimes, some of which were cold cases. That seems to be the only outside program that works.
Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:21 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

As Flint ties homicide record, hope remains for a less deadly 2013

By David Harris | dharris5@mlive.com
on December 31, 2012 at 5:00 PM, updated December 31, 2012 at 5:04 PM

FLINT, MI -- With the city tying its all-time high for homicides just two days before the new year, hope remains that 2013 will be better.

"It is my prayer that 2013 as far as this killing is concerned will be much better than 2012 and 2010," said Pastor Lewis Randolph, president of the Concerned Pastors for Social Action. "People have to have a heart, a love for other people. When you take a life today that life is gone forever."

Flint recorded its 66th homicide Sunday, Dec. 30, with the discovery of a man found dead inside a vehicle around 5:30 p.m. at Myrtle and Milbourne avenue. Police said on Monday the man's name would not be released until a medical examiner confirmed his identity. No suspect information was released.

The slaying pulled the city’s homicide mark even with 2010, when the all-time high for murders was recorded in the city.

"It's nothing that anybody is happy about," said Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton. "It's a very sad state of affairs in Flint."

Flint has logged 189 homicides over the past three years.

Flint Mayor Dayne Walling said illegal and military style guns are a major contributing factor the homicide levels.

"The plague of gun violence claimed too many lives this year in Flint.," said Walling. "With more than 60 lives lost in homicides, the city has again reached a dreadful record."

Walling said steps will be taken in 2013 to improve police response times, enforce tough penalties and better work with the community.

But Walling said serious reforms are needed at the state and federal level to keep miltary style guns off the streets and keeping guns from dangerous people.

All the killing needs to stop, said Randolph.

"It's so disappointing being the year of 2012 that we have not yet learned to let life live," he said. "To let a man die in the last days of the year, it's just a shame."

Homicides in the Flint have continued despite the state stepping in this year with the deployment of more state troopers in the city and money to reopen the city jail.

But a multitude of problems persist, Leyton said, pointing to poverty, unemployment, dysfunctional families and a sense of disrepair.

"Then you add that there's just too many guns on the streets in the wrong hands and the City of Flint does not have enough police," he said. "You throw all that in the mix and you come up with homicide records."

Resident Cateara Hamilton, 21, agreed that there's not enough police officers.

"If there was, they could be Johnny-on-the-spot when a crime is committed," she said.

City Administrator Mike Brown said the city has a mental health problem.

"That's something that we need to address in the community, those societal problems that we have," he said. "We've got far too many young people dying because of violence. It's really a public health issue."

Brown said community mental health programs have been deeply cut. He said he hopes the state legislature passes an income tax increase to better fund some of these programs.

Few other details about Sunday's homicide were available at the scene, where law enforcement from Flint, Genesee County and Michigan State Police closed off the intersection where the vehicle went off the road and rammed into the fencing of a yard near the intersection.

A door to the vehicle stood open and headlights remained on as the vehicle sat in the yard of a residence.

"Senseless murder. The answer to all of this lies in the people," said Jackie Poplar, 2nd Ward Councilwoman, who lives less than a mile from the scene of the homicide. "No home training, disrespect for a life, miserable…all of this is bringing these people that are committing these crimes."

Resident Gail Liddell was sitting inside her Myrtle Avenue home reading the Bible when she heard what sounded like gunshots across the street.

"I heard three gunshots, like pop, pop, pop," she said. "It was real close."

Having lived in the neighborhood for nearly 15 years, Liddell noted of the gunshots "I hate to say it, and God forgive me, but it happens all the time."

Staff writer Roberto Acosta contributed to this report.
Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:56 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

BROWN SAYS THE VIOLENCE IS A MENTAL HEALTH ISSUE! WTF!

City Administrator Mike Brown said the city has a mental health problem.

"That's something that we need to address in the community, those societal problems that we have," he said. "We've got far too many young people dying because of violence. It's really a public health issue."

Brown said community mental health programs have been deeply cut. He said he hopes the state legislature passes an income tax increase to better fund some of these programs.
Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:58 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

THE JOURNAL IS SINGING TO THE CHOIR! THIS IS WHAT THE STREETS ARE SAYING.

Homicides in the Flint have continued despite the state stepping in this year with the deployment of more state troopers in the city and money to reopen the city jail.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:00 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

MOLON LABE!

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Quoting news article: 'Walling said that while Flint struggles with a number of root causes of violence, "it is clear that the problem of illegal and military-style guns is widespread and is a major contributing factor to the homicide levels."'
Anyone have time to research what kind of weapon was used for each homicide? Would be interesting to know. Also how many of the weapons were unlicensed to the user, i.e., stolen.
Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:04 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Quoting news article: 'Walling said that while Flint struggles with a number of root causes of violence, "it is clear that the problem of illegal and military-style guns is widespread and is a major contributing factor to the homicide levels."'
Anyone have time to research what kind of weapon was used for each homicide? Would be interesting to know. Also how many of the weapons were unlicensed to the user, i.e., stolen.

Wow I asked the same thing on Mlive. NICE!
Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
pan8
F L I N T O I D

Yes gun control a stellar idea why all we have to do is it look to Mexico to see how well gun control works there. What a bunch of morons, America has a gang, drug and liberal problem. There are many laws on the books however America does not enforce her laws. Does Fast and Furious come to mind?

Pan8
Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:55 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

No law is going to stop illegal or legal stolen guns used in homicides! Politicians sound like a broken record and don't live in the real world! (And yes, I just realized how archaic "broken record" sounds now.)

Every homeowner and tenant needs to do a sweep of their own homes and vehicles and hiding places and confiscate guns that don't belong there, and turn them in. Parents and anyone else responsible for others need to take control to show the perpetrators they mean business.
Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:33 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: