FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Barnett Jones busted by Detroit Free Press
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

It's business as usual in Flint. Nothing at all will come of this.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Contract for ex-Flint public safety head Barnett Jones did not bar second job

By Kristin Longley | klongley1@mlive.com
on January 11, 2013 at 4:54 PM

FLINT, MI -- The contract for former Flint public safety administrator Barnett Jones shows he was to have wide authority over all the city's public safety operations.
The contract did not, however, prohibit Jones from having a second job nor did it require him to disclose that he had a full-time job with the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department.

Jones resigned his Flint post Thursday, Jan. 10, after city officials said he failed to disclose the second high-paying job in Detroit.

Jones was "responsible for the direction, management and administration of the City's safety services including police, fire, communications, detention and related services," according to his three-page employment contract, released by Flint today, Jan. 11.

View the contract here: barnett-jones-flint-contract.pdf

Flint emergency financial manager Ed Kurtz said he and City Administrator Michael Brown were unaware that Jones had a second job as chief security and integrity officer for the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department until they were contacted about it Wednesday by a Detroit reporter.

They met with Jones about it Thursday morning, and he submitted his resignation, Kurtz said.

Brown said Jones should have informed them, especially because the city has been in talks with Detroit water and sewer about a potential contract for water.

Jones was unable to be reached for comment.

In published reports, Jones said he was able to work 40 hours a week in Flint and 40 hours a week in Detroit by working into the night and on weekends.

His Flint contract reads that "it is the intent of the parties that employee will exercise broad powers in restructuring any or all of these (public safety) operations to increase the efficiency, effectiveness and utility of these operations for the benefit of the citizens of Flint."

In addition to the $135,000 salary he received in Flint, Jones was also provided life insurance, disability insurance and accrued vacation and sick time, the contract shows.

He also was provided use of a city vehicle and city laptop "for emergency response for 24 hours/day." He also received a cell phone stipend and an allowance for uniform, equipment and maintenance "at the same level as the current Chief of Police," it says.

The contract was signed by Jones on April 23 -- the same month he was named for the Detroit water post.

He is currently earning $138,750 for the Detroit job, according to published reports.
Post Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:14 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

How did ex-Flint public safety leader hold 2 full-time jobs?

Posted: Jan 11, 2013 5:24 PM EST Updated: Jan 11, 2013 6:37 PM EST

By Tom Plahutnik, Web Editor/Producer - By Erik Horn, WNEM Newsperson -

FLINT, MI (WNEM) -
On Thursday, in an Asking Tough Questions investigation, TV5 discovered that Flint public safety administrator Barnett Jones was not devoting all his time to Flint.

He actually worked another six-figure, full-time job nearly 70 miles away! Since that news broke, Jones quit his Flint job.

More Flint City Council members are sounding off, wondering how this sort of thing could have happened. And the man who hired Barnett Jones is also answering TV5's Tough Questions.

Flint's former emergency financial manager and current city administrator Mike Brown spoke about the trouble brewing at Flint City Hall. Brown hired Barnett Jones last year as the city's public safety administrator, a job that paid $135,000 a year.

"Well, I was disappointed certainly," said Brown. "We hired Mr. Jones back in April and again unbeknownst to us, he took a job with the Detroit Water and Sewer Department, and I'm not sure when. It was after we had hired him."

People in the city were outraged when the cash-strapped city hired Jones at such a high salary, something Jones brought up himself when he was hired. Back in April, he's on record as stating, "It isn't what I wanted. I wanted more. I took a pay cut to be here," Jones said.

But TV5 has uncovered that Jones accepted the Detroit job just seven days after being hired by the city of Flint.

Some people in city government, including Flint city councilman Scott Kincaid, thought the position may not have been needed in the first place.

"The question becomes, how effective was the public safety director?" asked Kincaid. "When he came to Flint, he was supposed to do some[thing] and when you look at crime statistics, you know. The homicides in the city of Flint, 66 homicides last year, and in the first ten days this year we've had three already, so you wonder what effectiveness that he had."

Kincaid is not a fan of the emergency manager law, and he says that the Barnett Jones situation is just another example of the emergency managers having too much power.

"I think this is one of those issues, with many issues that you're going to see come up with the emergency manager and the decisions that they make, not only now, but in the future," said Kincaid.

Jones was working out of Flint and Detroit, but lived in Ann Arbor. The map on the right of the page shows just how far he had to travel between jobs.

If Jones was going from his house to Flint, he had to drive about 55 miles one way. If he was traveling from Flint to Detroit, that's about a seven-mile ride. And it would be another 45 miles from the Motor City to Ann Arbor.

Jones once served as police chief in Ann Arbor and Sterling Heights.

In April 2012, the Flint emergency financial manager hired Jones as a top public safety administrator. Later that month, Jones took a top security gig at the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department. It took officials about eight months to figure out he held both jobs.

Copyright 2013 WNEM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Post Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:39 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Double-duty security official should lose his job, union says

January 12, 2013 |

By John Wisely

Detroit Free Press Staff Writer

The union representing Detroit Water and Sewerage Department security officers is calling for the resignation of security chief Barnett Jones after the Free Press revealed this week that he was working two, six-figure jobs some 70 miles apart.

Jones resigned as administrator of public safety in Flint on Thursday. Officials there said they didn't know Jones also was working as chief of security and integrity for the Detroit department.

"He should have been fired," said Michael Mulholland, vice president of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Local 207, which represents about 77 security guards and more than 800 other department employees. "When he was hired in, they changed the name to the department of security and integrity because they wanted to set a new tone. If that irony alone isn't enough to fire him, I don't know what is."

Jones has not returned multiple messages from the Free Press seeking comment since his resignation.

Water department Director Sue McCormick said late Friday that she remains confident in Jones. The department also sent a news release Friday afternoon affirming confidence in Jones and pointing out his long background in police work.

"I would not ask him to step down," McCormick said. "I haven't been, in any way, dissatisfied with his service to DWSD."

Several members of the water board commission did not return calls seeking comment Friday. The Free Press first reported Thursday that Jones had been working both jobs.

Flint, which is in such financial straits that it is being run by an emergency financial manager, was paying him $135,000 a year. The water department is paying him $138,750.

Most of the security officers in the water department are paid $13.45 an hour after taking a 10% pay cut. The department is seeking additional concessions from them, including unpaid furloughs and higher health care premiums, Mulholland said.

Flint City Administrator Michael Brown said officials there knew nothing of Jones' Detroit job until the Free Press called to ask about it. He commended Jones' work but said he was disappointed that he didn't know about the other job.

Jones told the Free Press earlier this week, before resigning from the Flint job, that he was doing justice to both jobs and described himself as a workaholic.

Outside employment by police officers has been a hotly debated topic in law enforcement circles. Most departments have policies in place governing who can moonlight and what limitations they face, said Dave Harvey, executive director of the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards, which licenses the state's police officers.

Harvey said some departments, especially smaller ones, allow it -- but it typically requires approval of the chief.

"It's all disclosed, and everybody knows what everybody is doing," Harvey said.

The water department's employee handbook says employees can work other jobs on their own time if it doesn't interfere with their work for the department. They must have a written request approved annually for the moonlighting, and work must not hurt the department's reputation or pose a conflict of interest.

McCormick said Jones had informed her of his work in Flint, although she understood it to be part-time.

The news release issued Friday said: "DWSD policy allows additional outside employment for DWSD employees under this type of circumstance."

Jones' contract in Flint makes no mention of outside employment.

Brown said he considered Jones' Detroit work to be a conflict because Flint is negotiating with the water department over water service, though Jones is not involved in the negotiations.

Contact John Wisely: 313-222-6825 or jwisely@freepress.com
Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:10 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint reviewing resigned Public Safety Administrator Barnett Jones' records

on January 11, 2013 at 9:06 PM, updated January 12, 2013 at 12:30 AM

FLINT, MI -- How did Barnett Jones do it?
How did he work full time as the top public safety official in one of the nation's most violent cities while also working another full-time job 70 miles away as chief security and integrity officer for the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department?

It's the question being asked all over Flint now that Jones has resigned as Flint public safety administrator after city leaders found out about the second, six-figure Detroit gig.

City Administrator Michael Brown said Friday that the city will be reviewing what records are available to them regarding Jones' Flint schedule, though they have no evidence at this point that indicates he wasn't working full-time in Flint.

"All I can say right now is, he was there (at work) and engaged and I think he was working 40 hours at two jobs," said City Administrator Michael Brown, who hired Jones in April when Brown was still Flint emergency manager. "I guess you could say burning the candle at both ends."

But it's still not clear what records exist, if any, to show how often Jones was doing work for the city of Flint during the 8.5 months he was here. The city would release only Jones' contract Friday, and Jones wasn't required to keep a time sheet or punch a clock.

"We will review the records," Brown said, adding Jones was part of public safety union contract implementation, city lockup talks and meetings with officials in Lansing. "From what I saw he was there... I don't have anything to say that he wasn't."

Jones was unable to be reached for comment Thursday or Friday.

Officials said they discovered Jones' second job in Detroit on Wednesday, when they were questioned about it by The Detroit Free Press. Brown and emergency financial manager Ed Kurtz met with Jones about it Thursday morning, after which Jones submitted his letter of resignation.

Kurtz said he thought Jones did great work for the city, but was disappointed by the discovery. Brown said Jones should have told the city about the Detroit job because the city has been in talks with Detroit water and sewer about a potential contract for water.

When asked if he thought Jones was covering it up, Brown said:

"I think he made a judgment not to tell us. Sometimes people make mistakes and I think that was a mistake."

Jones made $135,000 and received a number of fringe benefits as Flint's public safety administrator, according to his contract, which also showed he had wide authority over all the city's public safety operations. Officials said his salary was paid with grant money from the C.S. Mott Foundation.

Jones' contract did not, however, prohibit Jones from having a second job, nor did it require him to disclose that he had another full-time job, where he received $138,750 as "chief security and integrity officer."

In comments to the Free Press, Jones said he was able to work 40 hours per week at each job with late nights and weekend shifts.

Brown said there were "many things (Jones) was involved in that I think indicate he gave us the time commitment to get the job done."
But some said 40 hours a week isn't enough from a public safety administrator who was hired as part of a public safety plan in the crime-ridden city of Flint.

Flint City Councilwoman Jackie Poplar is calling for an investigation into whether Jones was spending enough time on his Flint responsibilities. She said she doesn't think Jones should be utilized as a public safety consultant, a possibility that Brown and Kurtz said they were open to.

"We need a 24/7 person," Poplar said. "It is not right. We're under a state takeover."

Flint Mayor Dayne Walling said he saw Jones at city hall a "number of times per week," but added that he "seemed to put in much less effort than any other appointee at city hall ."

Walling said other appointees work "well in excess" of 40 hours of work per week "as the public rightly expects."

"I'm surprised to see Jones defending himself with a 40-hour work week," Walling said. "There's no way to be Flint's director of public safety in 40 hours of work a week."

Jones disclosed his Flint job to Detroit when he was hired in May 2012, said Detroit Water and Sewerage Director Sue McCormick, who worked with Jones in Ann Arbor, where he was police chief and she was public services administrator.

McCormick said in a statement Friday that Jones will keep his Detroit job, and expressed confidence in his abilities.

"Barnett Jones is doing a fine job for us," she said. "Jones came to DWSD with extensive experience in security and emergency management, and a distinguished career in law enforcement that included internal affairs work."

Brown said Jones volunteered his time to work on the city's public safety plan prior to being hired in April. When the city was looking for a public safety administrator, Brown said Jones' name surfaced as a highly experienced professional.

"He was a known commodity, if you will," he said.
"We went through an interview process and I had him meet with Chief Lock," he said. "We felt good about it and felt like he would be an asset for us so I made the decision to hire him. I take full responsibility for it."

Police Chief Alvern Lock declined to comment on Jones' work with the city.

When it comes to moonlighting, Lock said Flint police officers are allowed to hold second jobs. He declined to comment on whether police officers are required to disclose the other job.

Genesee County Sheriff Robert Pickell said he could not speak to the Flint police policy, but his department requires disclosure, saying it's an issue of safety, liability and, perhaps most importantly, ethics.

"The employer is entitled to know where his employees are," Pickell said. "There's a higher standard for law enforcement. We're public servants. The higher the rank, the more readily it should be disclosed because you have much more responsibility."

Jones described himself as "kind of a consultant" in Flint, according to published reports, but his contract tells a different story. It says he was "responsible for the direction, management and administration of the City's safety services including police, fire, communications, detention and related services."

Jones was provided life insurance, disability insurance and accrued vacation and sick time, the contract shows.

He also was provided use of a city vehicle and city laptop "for emergency response for 24 hours/day." He also received a cell phone stipend and an allowance for uniform, equipment and maintenance "at the same level as the current Chief of Police," it says.
The contract was signed by Jones on April 23 -- the same month he was named for the Detroit water post.
Firefighters union President Trent Farnsworth said people in his department would talk about how they would "hardly ever see" Jones, though he was touted as someone with fire experience.

Pickell said he dealt with Jones on about three occasions regarding the Flint city lockup, which was reopened this year with help from the state and is now operated by the county.

"Every time I saw Barnett, Chief Lock was with him," Pickell said.

City spokesman Jason Lorenz said there aren't time sheets that show the hours Jones spent working in Flint. Every city department does it differently, he said, and managers aren't required to fill out time sheets.

When asked if the city would enact a standard policy regarding time tracking, Lorenz said the office "will certainly be looking into different avenues."

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:25 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

When employees are paid, even partially, under grants, a time sheet is required. In the past all employees, even appointees, were required to fill out time sheets.
Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:27 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Water department Director Sue McCormick said late Friday that she remains confident in Jones. The department also sent a news release Friday afternoon affirming confidence in Jones and pointing out his long background in police work.

"I would not ask him to step down," McCormick said. "I haven't been, in any way, dissatisfied with his service to DWSD."

McCormick said Jones had informed her of his work in Flint, although she understood it to be part-time.
McCormick and Jones previously worked together in Ann Arbor. Perhaps this relationship should be explored.
Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:57 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

"Jones was provided life insurance, disability insurance and accrued vacation and sick time, the contract shows."

Even former City Administrator Peggy Clerk had to fill out time sheets
How else would any one know when he used his sick leave or vacation time. If they accrued then is he able to get them as a lump sum payment at the conclusion of his contract?

I believe Brown knew far more than he is telling and all of his stories indicate he is telling lies. Brown needs to lose his indemnity.
Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:24 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

This does not sound like he was "sort of a consultant" who was given a fancy title. was ths some kind of plot by Brown to ensure his friend Lock kept his job.

Barnett Jones confident he can lower crime rate in Flint

by Dillon Collier

Posted: 04.24.2012 at 5:26 PM

FLINT -- Just three weeks after resigning as public safety administrator in Ann Arbor, Barnett Jones is back on the job, agreeing to a three-year contract to serve as Flint's public safety administrator.

"I want to be a part of restoring public safety here. I want the people to dial 911 and have a police officer show up the same day, within the same moment that they call," said Jones, who will make $135,000 a year with limited benefits.

Jones has 38 years of law enforcement experience, including stints as police chief of Sterling Heights and Ann Arbor.

"I'd been chief of police for two of the safest cities in the state. It is my responsibility to make sure that they stayed that way," added Jones.

He eventually oversaw fire services in Ann Arbor, but publicly disagreed with plans for public safety layoffs in the city.

Now he will attempt to improve public safety in Flint, a city with a dwindling police force and the ever present possibility of more firefighter layoffs .

"Its going to be harder but we're going to have to find a way to make it work because those officers were officers on grants, and those grants were going to run out," said Jones when referring to Mike Brown's 2013 budget.
Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:03 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

This doesn't sound like he was a sort of consultant with a "fancy title".

His plan to reduce crime hasn't worked either. And how does a police or fire chief report to a consultant.

Hiring of new Flint public safety administrator part of bigger plan, emergency manager says

By Khalil AlHajal | kalhajal@mlive.com
on April 20, 2012 at 6:02 PM, updated April 20, 2012 at 8:43 PM

FLINT, MI -- Flint Police Chief Alvern Lock will report to new Public Safety Administrator Barnett Jones under a plan the city will begin rolling out next week, said Emergency Manager Michael Brown.

The city announced today that Jones, the former police chief of the Ann Arbor and Sterling Heights police departments, has been hired with a three-year contract to oversee public safety in Flint.

"He is trained as a firefighter, so he will oversee fire. Chief Lock will report through Barnett, however," Brown said. "This is part of a plan that we'll start rolling out next week."

Jones will be paid $135,000 a year with limited benefits and no health care, according to a city news release.

Brown said Lock will continue to assist in the management of the fire department.

"The advantage here is that Mr. Jones is also trained as a firefighter," Brown said.
He said Jones has been assisting city officials as they've met with with state police and the governor's office in crafting a new public safety plan, details of which will begin to be released Monday.

"Mr. Jones has been assisting us as a volunteer," Brown said. "He will begin to be paid on Monday."

"We've really been working hard on the plan and I think that once we begin to execute that, it will have an impact on public safety and he community."

Gov. Rick Snyder appointed Brown to take over Flint on Dec. 1 with the city facing a $15 million deficit.

Violent crime in Flint has soared in recent years amid the city's financial struggles and shrinking police department, with a record 66 homicides in 2010, followed by 57 killings in 2011 and 18 so far this year.

Contact Khalil AlHajal at kalhajal@mlive.com or 810-241-8803. Follow him on Twitter @FlintKhalil or on Facebook at Khalil Flint Journal.
Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:11 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

This is just business as usual in Flint. Maybe Jones stands to make more in consulting fees this way.

Question: If Jones was hired primarily because the State Police found it impossible to work with Lock, what will they do now that Jones is gone?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Records: Ex-Flint public safety head was paid by Flint and Detroit while at conference

on February 18, 2013 at 7:00 AM, updated February 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM

FLINT, MI -- In September 2012, former Flint Public Safety Administrator Barnett Jones spent three paid work days at a law enforcement conference at a northern Michigan resort courtesy of the city of Flint, city records show.

On those same three days, Jones time records for his second job in Detroit show he also put in eight hours of work as security chief for the Detroit Water and Sewer Department.

It's one of several inconsistencies uncovered by an MLive-Flint Journal review of Jones' Flint work calendar, his Flint payroll records and his Detroit time sheets, all obtained under Michigan's Freedom of Information Act.

A comparison of the records brings to light more questions about Jones' time working two six-figure, full-time jobs for two financially distressed cities located 70 miles apart.

While no evidence has surfaced that proves Jones wasn't working full time for each city, some Flint officials say they're skeptical about how Jones could give his Flint role the seriousness it deserves in light of the city's struggles with crime and public safety staffing.

"There's a hypothetical possibility that an individual could
work two full-time jobs," Flint Mayor Dayne Walling said. "But I don't see how anyone could fulfill high-level duties in the city of Flint with only 40 hours of work a week."

The Flint Journal review also found there aren't any time records that clearly show when Jones was working in Flint or Detroit. Flint administrators aren't required to punch a clock at Flint City Hall, and Jones' Detroit time sheets only indicate the number of hours he worked in any given day -- not when he worked them.

"In hindsight, we could have had better record-keeping," emergency financial manager Ed Kurtz said.

Jones resigned his post as Flint public safety administrator in January after Kurtz learned that Jones had also been working since May 14 as chief security and integrity officer for the Detroit Water and Sewer Department. Jones was hired in Flint on April 23.

During the eight months he worked both jobs, Jones' time sheets indicate he worked eight hours at each job nearly every weekday, despite the fact that the cities are about an hour's drive apart on I-75.

Neither his Flint calendar nor the time sheets from either city indicate Jones ever worked a weekend, though he told The Detroit Free Press in January that he worked late nights and weekends to put in 40 hours a week at each job.

Jones' Flint payroll records don't
indicate he took any sick days. They show he took only one vacation day, even though there were at least 10 days off marked on his daily calendar, and another
four week days where he had written about out-of-state events or
conferences.

While most holidays are marked as holidays on his Flint payroll records, the time sheets indicate he worked eight-hour shifts on both Christmas and New Year's Day.

Flint officials said they couldn't immediately confirm whether or not Jones worked those holidays as indicated, or whether any additional vacation time he might have used was recorded separately from his payroll sheets.

Jones did not return multiple messages seeking comment.

Kurtz acknowledged that the records likely won't lead to any serious findings because of the lack of specifics.

"I can't say that it surprises me that there's inconsistencies," he said.

When Jones was hired in May 2012, Jones disclosed his Flint job to his boss, Detroit Water and Sewerage Director
Sue McCormick, who also worked with Jones as recently as 2011 in Ann Arbor, where he was police
chief and she was public services administrator.

But it appears no one in charge at Flint City Hall was made aware of his Detroit job until a Detroit reporter called Kurtz on Jan. 9 to ask him about Jones' ability to work both jobs.

Jones resigned the next morning when Kurtz and City Administrator Michael Brown questioned him about it.

Kurtz and Brown have said they're disappointed Jones kept them in the dark about his second job, but gave positive reviews of the work he did over the city's public safety services.

"In hindsight, we could have had better record-keeping," emergency financial manager Ed Kurtz said.

Jones, who has had a long distinguished career in law enforcement, helped police Chief Alvern Lock implement the city's public safety plan, which included changes in patrol strategies and other improvements, officials said.

His three-page resume shows worked as Sterling Heights police chief from 2000-2006 and in the Oakland County Sheriff's Department 18 years prior. He's a certified firefighter and attended the FBI National Academy.

His Flint salary was paid by a grant for a public safety administrator from the C.S. Mott Foundation, officials have said.

"I still feel like we got our money's worth out of him," Kurtz said Thursday. "He certainly gave me the impression from visibility that he was a full-time employee here."

But others in the community were outraged by the revelation that Jones, who made $135,000 in Flint, was also working another high-paid job in Detroit.

Flint City Council members called it "unethical at best" in light of the city's ongoing talks with DWSD regarding a potential 30-year contract for Detroit to provide water to Flint.

Council President Scott Kincaid said it seems Jones was taking advantage of Flint and Detroit.

"Whether the records show a lot of it or not, it's probably happened more often," Kincaid said.

The state treasurer's office called the situation "unacceptable," and is changing its policy to include contract provisions that will prohibit emergency managers and their appointees from working another job without permission.

The Flint city attorney's office has launched an investigation into the situation.

City Attorney Peter Bade declined to comment on the pending review, but issued a statement through a city spokesman, saying DWSD has been cooperative with the city's review.

"I anticipate finalizing our investigation within the next two weeks," he said. "We informed all media at the start of this that there will be no further comment until our investigation is complete."

It's unclear whether Jones' Detroit boss, McCormick, knew that Jones attended the northern Michigan law enforcement conference, which was held Sept. 5-7 at the Grand Traverse Resort near Traverse City.

The city of Flint reimbursed Jones a total of $682.70 for the hotel,
registration and other expenses for the September conference, hosted by
the Michigan chapter of the FBI National Academy Associates.

A spokesman for the Detroit Water and Sewer Department declined to
respond Friday to an emailed list of questions regarding the time records as well as a request to speak with Jones or DWSD Director Sue McCormick.

McCormick said in January that Jones will keep his Detroit job, and expressed confidence in his abilities.

"Barnett Jones is doing a fine job for us," she said.
In a May compliance report to the federal court judge who was overseeing the DWSD, McCormick said Jones "will be instrumental in helping us not only strengthen our existing security operation but also to establish an internal affairs function within DWSD to investigate allegations of wrongdoing and make recommendations for corrective actions."

Flint City Councilman Sheldon Neeley said he wants a "full public airing" of the situation, and said he's skeptical Jones' time sheets reflect reality.

"The community deserves full disclosure so we can establish trust and move forward," he said. "There's a lack of trust with the community and the people handling the city.
The Barnett Jones debacle just adds to that."
Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:22 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Hope they look further into how long Jones left his city car at the Hurley Fitness Center before Hurley requested the city to pick it up. Wasn't it around the Christmas/New Year time period?
Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:51 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: