FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint City council- OFF WITH THEIR HEADS?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

RESIDENCY FOR CITY COUNCIL POSITIONS IS AN ISSUE NATIONWIDE.

Ward 3 City Council candidates trade barbs at debate

By Delen Goldberg (contact)

Published Tuesday, May 10, 2011 | 9:41 p.m.

Updated Tuesday, May 10, 2011 | 11:10 p.m.

The race for Las Vegas’ Ward 3 City Council seat heated up Tuesday night, with Adriana Martinez accusing Bob Coffin of “promoting stalking” because a private investigator followed her and Coffin accusing Martinez of lying about endorsements and her residency.

The candidates, separated by fewer than 50 votes in the primary, met at the Mesquite Club for their first general election debate. It was a no-holds-barred battle.

Coffin again accused Martinez of living outside Ward 3, a claim he has made throughout the race. Martinez owns two homes, one inside the district and one outside, but insists she lives in Ward 3.

“Do you know your neighbors?” Coffin asked. “Because the neighbors on either side of you have my sign in their yard. They say they don’t know you.”

“I know them well, and I’m well respected by them,” Martinez answered.

A woman in the audience, presumably a Coffin supporter, yelled, “Which neighbors?”

A private investigator who monitored Martinez’s Ward 3 home documented her spending only three hours there over the course of two months.

Martinez said she was working and caring for her sick mother at the time.

It is not known who hired the investigator, but Martinez blamed Coffin, just the same.

“I think it’s deplorable, these negative campaign tactics you are using to have someone stalk me and my daughter,” Martinez continued, speaking to Coffin. “Nevada has the highest rate of domestic violence, and you are promoting stalking.”

Martinez then turned the table on Coffin, accusing him of wanting to open brothels in Ward 3.

She pointed out that in the Legislature, Coffin sponsored a bill to impose a tax on brothels. She also said he wanted to legalize prostitution in Las Vegas. In fact, Coffin said he would be willing to grant a hearing on proposals to legalize prostitution in urban areas, not that he supported doing so.

Still, Martinez said, “That would open our neighborhoods up to prostitution. I would never be open to a brothel in Ward 3.”

Coffin defended the legislation, saying schools should benefit from money made from prostitution in areas where it is legal. He said all reasonable ideas should be considered and discussed by lawmakers.

As the debate continued, Martinez accused Coffin of being unfamiliar with how city government works.

Coffin, in turn, said Martinez has no record, so she is running on the accomplishments of her boss, City Councilwoman Lois Tarkanian. Martinez works as a council liaison for Tarkanian, who was in the audience.

In his closing statement, Coffin also implied that Martinez lied about receiving endorsements from Mayor Oscar Goodman and others. Goodman is quoted on Martinez’s campaign website and his picture is featured. Martinez said the mayor gave her permission to use the quote and photograph.

The audience of about 50 people appeared split in their loyalties. Martinez received more applause, but she also received more heckling.

At one point in the debate, as Coffin slammed her about her residency, Martinez bit her lip and refused to turn toward her opponent. Coffin remained calm and metered as he spoke.

As for the issues, Coffin and Martinez both promised to immediately open Circle Park — which Coffin called Huntridge Park, noting that it is oval not circular — and both said they’d oppose pawn shops and bail bond stores in residential areas.

But they differed on public safety. When asked about crime near Las Vegas and Oakey boulevards, Martinez said she felt safe there.

“I walk to Luv-It (a frozen custard store),” Martinez said. “I’m perfectly fine. I’m certainly pleased with my neighborhood.”

Coffin said he worried about the area. He pointed out that a woman was gang raped near the business in March.

The debate was hosted by the Southridge Neighborhood Association. The Stonewall Democratic Club of Southern Nevada will host another Ward 3 debate Friday.

Comment:.

By downtownsteve (Downtown Steve Franklin) May 11, 20117:12 a.m.Flag

During last nights debate candidate Martinez claimed her proof of ward 3 residency by citing a report done by 8 New Now investigative reporter Jonathan Humbert. Several weeks later on PBS's Nevada Week in Review, Jonathan said, referring to Martinez...."You are violating the law as far as the rules that are set up". The program originally aired 4/22/11. You can see the show here: http://www.klvx.org/Archive.aspx?ADID=65... The quote I share takes place at about 17:00 minutes into the program.
Post Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:06 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Mayor: Council Winner Elected In Wrong Ward Agrees Not to Serve

Posted on: 11:08 am, November 27, 2012, by Larry Henry, updated on: 11:19am, November 27, 2012

One of two women who won Farmington City Council seats in the wrong ward has signed a letter agreeing she will decline the seat, Mayor Ernie Penn said.

In a meeting with city officials the day before Thanksgiving, Amy Hutcherson signed a withdrawal letter stating she will not attempt to serve in the district, Penn said.

Hutcherson, seen here in a photograph from her Facebook page, could not be reached for comment.

The other winner in the Nov. 6 election, Elizabeth Mann, told 5NEWS this week she is waiting to hear from the Arkansas secretary of state on whether she must step down. Mann did not attend the Nov. 21 meeting with city officials, though her husband attended in her absence.

New City Council members are scheduled to be sworn in Jan. 14.

City Attorney Steve Tennant, consulting with Arkansas Municipal League officials and others, has determined that City Council members must live in the district they represent, Penn said.

The incumbent candidates whom Hutcherson and Mann defeated in November will serve in the vacated districts, Penn said.

The city’s eight council members serve two-year terms.

Hutcherson defeated incumbent Sherry Mathews in Ward 1, Positon 1, by 294 votes, while Mann beat incumbent Patsy Pike in Ward 1, Position 2 by 42 votes.

Before the city approved new ward districts in June, Hutcherson and Mann lived in Ward 1. However, both now live in Ward 3, according to a news release from the city. They filed to run for office after the new ward districts were approved, said Melissa McCarville, city business manager.

Mann said City Hall confirmed she and Hutcherson were supposed to run in Ward 1

However, Tennant told 5NEWS it’s not the city’s responsibility to check which wards candidates live in.
Post Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:12 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves. – Edward R. Murrow

HEARD ON THE STREETS OF THE NORTH END:

SOME YOUNG PEOPLE WATCHING CITY HALL HAVE MADE AN ASTUTE OBSERVATION THAT CITY GOVERNMENT IS NOTHING MORE THAN A HIGHER FORM OF A GANG CULTURE.

I can't say that I disagree with them.
Post Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:17 am 
stevemintline
F L I N T O I D

Councilman Weighill still lives in the ward. He moved to a downtown apartment. Like you said, there's nothing wrong with renting. Since you're big on checking records, why don't you look that one up?

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
One of my 7th ward friends told me she confronted Weighill and Alex Harris about the rumor Weighill will step down and Harris will be appointed to fill his seat. Apparently Harris became angry and admitted the rumor was true. The 7th ward is up in arms and vows Harris will never represent them.

Then while shopping at Sam's I encountered another 7th ward friend who informed me that he was aware Weighill moved out of his home at 2301 Windemere about 9 months ago.

A quick check with the public access site for the register of deeds shows he was right. There was a sheriffs deed sale of the home in march and the home was redeemed and sold in April.
Post Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:30 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Residents are concerned that their cpouncilperson lives in their ward. After realizing Weighill was no longer in his home and the controversy involving Loyd's residency, they were concerned weighill had moved out of the ward.
Post Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:23 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
The constituent was concerned and wanted to know if Weighill still lived in the ward.
Then the constituent should contact him to ask him directly.

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
The citizens are angry about the quality of leadership they are receiving from council and rumors of multiple seats up for election next year makes them realize they may have made bed choices.
Unfortunately there are few choices because not enough qualified people want to run for the positions.

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Weighill sold his home after a sheriff sale but within the redemption period.
This is a private business deal among the parties involved.

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
The citizens want to know their representatives care enough about their constituents to remain in their ward.
"The citizens" of Weighill's ward who are so concerned should be savvy enough to contact him and ask him directly.
Post Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:06 pm 
stevemintline
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
"The citizens" of Weighill's ward who are so concerned should be savvy enough to contact him and ask him directly.

Yeah, but where's the fun in that? If that happened, Sally couldn't post things on FlintTalk to create controversy!!!
Post Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:09 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Weighill is not planning on running again and with the history of this council, his decisions are under scrutiny. He and his friends can disagree, but when you are in a political arena, all of your decisions come under scrutiny.

Does weighill really need you to run interference for him? He was on tv going ballistic to fair criticism about his vote. Fair game whether you think so or not.
Post Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:43 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Does weighill really need you to run interference for him? He was on tv going ballistic to fair criticism about his vote. Fair game whether you think so or not.
No more "interference" than you run on this and many other political matters. My intrepation is different from yours. I saw the TV clip, and here's partial coverage from Flint Journal. Weighill at least has the education and experience to know what he is talking about.

quote:
Councilman Dale Weighill bristled at comments from Lawler that it wasn't a fair process, and said he was not a part of any "back room deal." He pointed out that the city charter does not require an interview process to fill a vacancy.

The Flint City Charter says the council shall appoint a replacement to fill a vacancy within 30 days if there is less than a year left in a council member's term.

"We complied with the process in full," he said. "I resent you and your sanctimony and your pretense that I'm not doing my job as a city council person."

Source: http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2012/12/claudia_croom_appointed_1st_wa.html
Post Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:48 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

By virtue of his job, Weighill is public figure and public figures should expect to get some heat on decisions they make that are challenged.

Judge Hathaway's short sale was not private and triggered a federal investigation. Weighill is expected to vote on the budget matters of the city, so his finances are fair game.

Remember when Detroit politician charles Pugh was pilloried for being behind in his condo payments. The Flint Jouirnal reported on the bankruptcies of Jackie Poplar and Darryl Buchanan. Why is Weighill exempt?

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:58 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
No more "interference" than you run on this and many other political matters. My intrepation is different from yours. I saw the TV clip, and here's partial coverage from Flint Journal. Weighill at least has the education and experience to know what he is talking about.

quote:
Councilman Dale Weighill bristled at comments from Lawler that it wasn't a fair process, and said he was not a part of any "back room deal." He pointed out that the city charter does not require an interview process to fill a vacancy.

The Flint City Charter says the council shall appoint a replacement to fill a vacancy within 30 days if there is less than a year left in a council member's term.

"We complied with the process in full," he said. "I resent you and your sanctimony and your pretense that I'm not doing my job as a city council person."

Source: http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2012/12/claudia_croom_appointed_1st_wa.html

Pastor Flynn of Foss Avenue is Lawler's pastor. Flynn and Pastor Threkheld have an hour long radio show every Saturday morning that is followed by a show for Sheldon Neeley. Both Croom and Jackie Poplar have called in so everyone listening was under the impression the "fix" was in. Lawler referenced a meeting of Weighill, Loyd and Freeman and phone calls made in relation to this appointment on Weighills facebook site. Weighill never challenged this statement.
Post Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:08 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

This is not the first time that Weighill has had his integrity challenged. While this press release was not authorized by Weighill, it was reported because as a candidate for Mayor is a public figure.

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Outed staffer leaves Tancredo campaign

When we last checked in with Tyler Whitney the 18-year-old conservative activist was being defended by Bay Buchanan on the occasion of his outing. The story lit up the web and had Whitney scrubbing all the nasty right-wing stuff from his myspace page. But he was determined to stay with the Tom Tancredo for President Campaign.

Interestingly, less than two months later young Tyler has left the supposedly friendly and accepting Tancredo campaign and has headed back to Michigan. He says he was homesick. Reporter Todd Heywood of Between the Lines, who broke the original story, was on the show on Friday to talk about Whitney's news and Heywood's interview with him last week.

Now apparently openly gay, Whitney has gone to work for the openly gay mayoral candidate running for mayor of Flint, Michigan. So far, so good. But Heywood says Whitney will not answer questions about his having been involved in the racist and virulently antigay chapter of Young Americans for Freedom up in Michigan (cited as a hate group by Southern Poverty Law Center)and his having held up a sign at at protest warning gays to "go back in the closet."

Moreover, the openly gay candidate he went to work for, Dale Weighill, an independent who worked in Republican circles, doesn't seem at all bothered by Whitney's past either, according to Heywood. (The campaign actually sent out a press release touting the hire, seeming to want to capitalize on Whitney's new-found fame as a right-wing closeted gay staffer working on a presidential campaign and as a former head of a dubious organization.) Weighill's campaign hired Whitney shortly after Weighill had received the endorsement of the local Triangle Pride PAC, the political action committee of the statewide GLBT group, Triangle Foundation.

According to Heywood, an official with the Triangle Pride PAC was taken aback by the hire of Whitney, particularly coming right after the group's endorsement, and declined to comment as of yet. The fact that Weighill would hire a former Tancredo campaign staffer who hasn't apologized for involvement in a known hate group is not going to sit well with many in the local community -- whether he (or the candidate himself) is openly gay, closeted, straight, bi, trans or whatever.

UPDATE: ] According to reporter Todd Heywood, who will publish a story in Between the Lines, Whitney did not in fact join the Weighill campaign and the candidate does remain concerned about Whitney's past.The press release announcing the hire went out by a lower staff memeber who was impressed with Whitney and thought it would be good to hype his having done a little bit of leafletting for the campaign. This person should be fired for putting the candidate in such a bad position, in my opinion. After Heywood appeared on the my show and the story went around the web, Weighill had to repudiate the staffer's actions and said he does not support Whitney's having been involved with YAF and completely supports GLBT rights. Furthermore, Whitney had only done some minor volunteer work for the campaign, it appears -- it was the staffer who claimed he went to work there. This is probably among the things that are prompting Whitney to apologize, and apparently give a sit-down interview with Heywood, which is the only right thing to do if he wants to put this behind him and also heal the hurt he has caused people in the past.

Posted by Signorile at 12:18 PM

I report on, comment about and sometimes madly obsess over politics, media, popular culture and many other issues as Editor-At-Large for Huffington Post Gay Voices and as host of "The Michelangelo Signorile Show" on Sirius XM OutQ. View my full bio to learn more about me.
Post Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:18 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

One month shy of a year.
13-308598-DO JUDGE BEAGLE FILE 06/14/13
GENESEE COUNTY

P 001 LOYD,LAUREN,ELIZABETH VS D 001 LOYD,DELRICO,JABARR
ATY:AMY,STANETTE J.
P-55260 810-513-5606

Actions, Judgments, Case Notes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Num Date Judge Chg/Pty Event Description/Comments