FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint City council- OFF WITH THEIR HEADS?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Delrico Loyd resigns from Flint City Council, cites professional, personal pressures

By Kristin Longley | klongley1@mlive.com
on November 14, 2012 at 5:05 PM, updated November 14, 2012 at 5:28 PM

FLINT, MI -- Flint City Councilman Delrico Loyd announced he's resigning from his north side Flint City Council seat, citing increased professional responsibility and tragedy in his personal life.

Loyd, who made a name for himself as the youngest serving Flint City Council member when he was appointed in 2008, said his job responsibilities have grown since he was promoted to be an international service representative for UAW Region 1-C in September 2010.

Over the last year, Loyd has also seen many changes in his personal life. He was married in July and recently accepted a position as associate pastor of his church.

He also has dealt with the deaths of many family members, including the homicide of his half-brother in Detroit and the death of his adoptive grandmother, who was also once his foster mother.

"With all the transition and change in my life, it's time to focus on myself and focus on my family," he said, flanked by supporters at a podium in the sanctuary of his church, North Star Missionary Baptist Church. "To focus on recuperating with my family and then readjusting for the service that God has in store for me."

The Flint City Council will need to appoint a replacement to serve the remainder of Loyd's term, which ends in November 2013, he said. Loyd said he plans to recommend a replacement, but declined to name the individual today.

Loyd was first appointed to the 1st Ward council seat in 2008, when he became the youngest serving council person in Flint history. He was re-elected to the seat in 2009 and was named council president at age 24 by his colleagues on the council. He served as president for one year.

Loyd said serving on the council has been a "joyful journey" filled with "major challenges and major successes," citing the demolition of 200 vacant houses in his ward and the repaving of Carpenter Road and other streets.

He said he would consider running for elected office in the future.

"This is not the end of Delrico Loyd," he said, adding that he's proud of his time in office. "No politician makes everybody happy and no person makes all the right decisions."

Loyd addressed a rumor that he no longer lives in his ward, saying that it's not true. He said his wife owns a house in the 8th Ward, but he still lives in the 1st Ward house he owns next door to his mother.

"It's difficult going back and forth," he said. "But that is where I live."

Loyd said they're still evaluating where they plan to make their permanent home.

Loyd was born in Detroit and was adopted by his Flint family at age 7. He graduated from Flint Northwestern High School.

For more on this developing story, visit www.mlive.com/flint this evening.
Post Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:55 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Delrico and his wife are supposedly evaluating where they will live as they continue to make improvements to the home in the 8th ward. They recently added a new deck to the back of the home .

Other council members were aware of the situation. Did he deliberately wait to resign so as to be able to name his handpicked replacement. I don't believe the law would have been on his side about his not living with his wife as word was they were living together prior to the marriage.
Post Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:08 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Will Delrico now fashion a run for the 8th ward if sarginson does not run?

Word is Delrico's inlaws have suffered from the backlash of this subject.
Post Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:14 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Resigning Flint City Councilman Delrico Loyd 'will be missed,' president says

on November 14, 2012 at 7:25 PM, updated November 14, 2012 at 7:50 PM

FLINT, MI -- Friends and colleagues said Councilman Delrico Loyd, who today, Nov. 14, announced he's resigning from public office, will leave a hard-to-fill void on the Flint City Council.

"I'm not disappointed he's resigning, because I know why and I support him in his decision," Council President Scott Kincaid said. "But I'm disappointed he's not going to be there. He's a great councilperson."

Loyd, 27, said increased personal and professional responsibilities led him to make the decision to resign, effective Thursday.

Known for being idealistic, headstrong and not afraid to speak his mind, Loyd represented the city's 1st Ward, in the northwestern corner of the city, for nearly five years.

Kincaid said Loyd's youthfulness and personal background were an asset to the city.

He was the youngest-serving city council member when he was first appointed in 2008.

"He had his opinion, he would speak his mind, but he was also open-minded," Kincaid said. "He's been someone who's been very easy to talk to."

Because there is less than a year left in Loyd's term, which ends in November 2013, the council appoints a replacement. According to the city charter, the council has 30 days to choose someone, Kincaid said.

The Rev. James Flowers, pastor of North Star Missionary Baptist Church, where Loyd recently accepted a position as associate pastor, said he's impressed with Loyd's talent and integrity.

Flint City Council Member Delrico J. Loyd announces his resignation at the North Star Ministries in Flint, Mich. on Wednesday, November 14, 2012. After suffering a series of deaths in his family, including the homicide of his brother, Loyd said he wanted to take the time to focus on his personal life, but didn't rule out the option of returning to public office.

"He's the type of individual who, whatever he's a part of, he really wants to give it his best," Flowers said. "He's still in the community, but he has a different role."

Loyd was in and out of foster homes before he was adopted by his Flint family at age 7.

He became involved in Flint politics at a young age and worked on campaigns for then-state Rep. Brenda Clack and county Commissioner Omar Sims. He graduated from Flint Northwestern High School.

"I've worked hard to be an example for young people," he said. "Regardless of where they came from... they could rise up to do something great."

Kristin Longley can be reached at 810-429-5333. You can also follow her on Twitter @KristinLongley or subscribe on Facebook.
Post Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:36 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Residents of the fourth ward were so sure Freeman had left the fourth ward for davison that they went to council. They state they spoke to a lady who told them she was council president. That could only have been Jackie Poplar and that must have been over a year ago. They were blown off.

These residents should have addressed the council as a whole and brought it out in the open. Also they should have filed a complaint with the county clerk's office and made it official.

Watch for some excitement at the next city council meeting. Were certain votes made by Freeman and Loyd legitimate. It is not over!

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:08 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I am told that selecting Croom is like selecting another Jackie Poplar.

Flint City Council has 30 days to choose Delrico Loyd's replacement

on November 15, 2012 at 5:00 PM

FLINT, MI -- The Flint City Council has 30 days to appoint a replacement for Councilman Delrico Loyd, who resigned from office Thursday, Nov. 15, after announcing his intention Wednesday.

Shortly after submitting his letter of resignation, Loyd said he's recommending 1st Ward resident Claudia Croom to finish his term, which ends in November 2013.

Council President Scott Kincaid said the council will review applicants and consider any recommendations before making its decision.

"My hope is that it's a seamless transition," Loyd said. "I want to make sure it's a person of high moral character and integrity to finish the term."

Kincaid said he would like to choose someone who doesn't plan to run for election to the 1st Ward seat next year.

"So that everybody has an equal opportunity and not an advantage by being appointed to run," he said.

The Flint City Charter says the council shall appoint a replacement to fill a vacancy within 30 days if there is less than a year left in a council member's term.

Croom, 68, has lived in the 1st Ward on Flint's north side for 34 years and is a regular attendee of council meetings. She worked for General Motors and then Delphi before retiring in 2004.

If the council chooses Croom, she said she would accept the job.

"I'm ready to accept the responsibilities and the challenge," she said.

Loyd, who was the youngest council member in Flint history when he was appointed, announced Wednesday he would submit his letter of resignation Thursday, citing increased professional responsibilities and several deaths in his family. He's served on the council since January 2008.

"It's a sad day for me, I'm going to miss him," Croom said of Loyd. "He's one of the better council persons we've had."

Loyd did not rule out a future run for public office, but said he plans to focus on his family for now. Wednesday, he denied rumors that he no longer lives in the 1st Ward, but said his wife also owns a home on the south side, which she purchased before they were married, and they're evaluating their future plans. All of his belongings are still at his north side residence, he said.

"It's difficult going back and forth," he said. "But that is where I live."

Councilman Sheldon Neeley questioned the timing of Loyd's resignation so soon after Monday's council meeting, when the council voted for its president and vice president.

"He probably should have abstained (from those votes) knowing he was going to resign within a week," said Neeley, who was nominated for president but didn't receive enough votes.

Loyd said he's been contemplating the decision for nearly a year.

"If that's the case, I should have abstained from a lot of votes in his opinion," Loyd said. "The fact is, this wasn't an easy decision. It's a difficult time for me and my family."
Post Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:29 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Delrico Loyd went on Facebook to criticize Urban changeover for expressing his first amendment position. Loyd has always been thinskinned to criticism and demonstrated it often in council chambers. Of course Weighill had to chime in and tell Loyd how much he loved him and that is part of the problem. We don't need our council to act like one big "brotherhood" that always protects and covers for one another. We need dedicated leadership.

Flint Urban Culture-Changeover Don`t Fall for the HYPE Mr. "Delrico Loyd" quit because he`s a FAILED Status Que leader and his election was "slim to none" 2013. Many of you are so use to being feed lies!!"

Urban Culture is not the only one that heard that Loyd's ward was displeased with him and that his re-election chances were slim. Croom, his selection for his replacement, was quoted in a Journal article supporting Walling during his election.
Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:52 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I have spoken to a number of Woodcroft residents who were aware that loyd was in their ward. From what I hear the 1st ward was also aware of his absence.

whatever his future political plans, can the public trust him anymore?
Post Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:07 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

NO MAN CAN HAVE TWO MASTERS

Loyd said he was contemplating his resignation for a year and yet he continued to divide his loyalties.

He cites his religion and his new religious role in his church. Yet as a religious person he surely knows "Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife and they shall become one flesh."
Matthew 19:8, Ephesians 5:31, and Genesis 2;24.

Deutoronomy 24:5 (English Standard Version)
"When a man is newly married, he shall not go out witht the army or be liable for any other poublic duty, he shall be free at home one year to be happy with the wife whom he has taken."

Proverbs 18:22 (Aramaic Bible) "He that finds a wife finds something good and obtains favor of the LORD."

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:11 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

In modern day life it is not allowed that man give up everything to spend one year with his wife. However, there is the expectation expressed in the Bible that a man lives with his wife after marriage, especially early in the marriage.

Loyd says he loves God and yet his comments appear to say he chooses to pursue his political aspirations over his bonds of matrimony. He states all f hi belongings are at his home in the 1st Ward so has he chosen a part time marriage. The 1st Ward constituency did not believe so and they are angry.

It is not as though his wife bought her home in the 8th ward a long time ago. They were engaged so one would presume there was some dialogue as to where they would live.

Loyd needs to quit talking and quit trying to find out if anyone snitched on him as this was never a great secret and way too many peoople knew of his deception.

With Loyd's increased duties in the UAW, where will he find time to run for anothe office and will the people believe in him.
Post Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:21 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Paul addressed the responsibilities of a husband in I Timothy 5:8:
"But if any provide not for his own, especially for those of his own household, he hath denied the faith and is worse than an infidel."

As an associate minister of his church, Loyd needed to be with his wife. Obviously, if what he told the press is true, he was neither faithful to God or his ward.
Post Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:11 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Pastors Flynn and Threkhold had a lively show today and I am sorry I missed it. However, I am told that callers to this show and Sheldon Neeley's show alledge the fix is in for the 1st Ward replacement.

It appears that Claudia Croom may have submitted her application at the last minute. I am told Neeley stated that back room dealings assure her the position as loyd's chosen successor. The interviews on Wednesday may be a sham. A C Dumas was said to be a vocal advocate for a fair process.

This is one of the reasons that people are fed up with City Council. Many bad deals have been made, especially with federal spending, because of this council brotherhood and a willingness to go along with one councilpersons wishes about his or her ward.
Post Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:20 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I am now sure that Sheldon Neely is correct and the interview process is a sham. It appears that Poplar may have told her to apply at the last minute to avoid controversy.
Post Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:01 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Here's the latest! Allegedly Claudia Croom is bragging that she will be the next councilwoman and that she and Poplar will clean house when she gets there. This is what citizens hate -backroom deals.

Croom will have to leave the Board of Review, a move she has been reluctant to make.

The 3 no votes on Croom are said to be Neely, Sarginson, and Lawler. The other 6 are said to be part of the fix.
Post Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:52 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Watch for a racially polarized council with this appointment. The betterment of the ward and not the political friends of the individual stepping down should have been the criteria. let's see if she withdraws from the Board of review.

Kristen could have done better by telling what the final majority vote was and who voted on each side.

Claudia Croom appointed new 1st Ward Flint City Council member

on December 10, 2012 at 9:07 PM, updated December 10, 2012 at 9:15 PM

FLINT, MI -- Flint's newest City Council member is described by supporters as "soft-spoken," "low-key" and a woman of integrity.

Claudia Croom, a 68-year-old UAW retiree, was appointed by a majority of the Flint City Council on Monday night to replace former 1st Ward representative Delrico Loyd, who resigned last month.

Though her appointment sparked some discord during the meeting, Croom received the necessary five votes from the council after two rounds of voting, and was sworn in following a standing ovation from several supporters in the audience.

"I'm excited to be able to serve the community," said Croom, who was recommended by Loyd when he left office. "I'm not happy with the conditions of the 1st Ward. I know we can do better."

Croom has lived for 34 years in the area she will represent, and is a regular attendee of council meetings. She worked for General Motors and then Delphi before retiring in 2004.

She will serve until November 2013, when voters will elect a new city council member to serve the 1st Ward, located in the northwest corner of the city.

Will Croom run for election to the seat?

"No way," she said Monday. "I'm not a politician."

The appointment didn't sit well with some of the other candidates and some members of the council, three of whom voted for Flint resident Jacqueline Jordan in the second round of voting.

Councilman Bernard Lawler said he was disappointed that the public interviews of all 10 candidates were only attended by four council members: Lawler and councilmen Sheldon Neeley and Michael Sarginson and council Vice President Bryant Nolden.

He said it was disrespectful to the candidates and the residents.

"How can you have a fair process and select a person... when you have not heard from all the individuals?" Lawler said. "You can't. You just simply can't."

Flint resident Eric Mays, who applied for the position, said he believed Croom's appointment was agreed to in a "back room deal."

Candidate Venita Simmons-Washington called the process an "abomination," saying the full council should have attended the interviews.

"I've learned that politics is such a game," she said.

Some council members said they had prior commitments and could not attend the interviews.

Council President Scott Kincaid said he made his decisions based on the resumes, and on Loyd's recommendation.

"I respect an elected official when they want to recommend someone," he said. "That person got elected to represent that community."

Councilman Dale Weighill bristled at comments from Lawler that it wasn't a fair process, and said he was not a part of any "back room deal." He pointed out that the city charter does not require an interview process to fill a vacancy.

The Flint City Charter says the council shall appoint a replacement to fill a vacancy within 30 days if there is less than a year left in a council member's term.

"We complied with the process in full," he said. "I resent you and your sanctimony and your pretense that I'm not doing my job as a city council person."

Despite the conflict at the meeting, Croom said she's eager to get to work and is looking forward to meeting more 1st Ward residents.

"There has always been divisiveness (on council)," she said. "I don't listen to that."

Other candidates included Leon El-Alamin, Nadine Roberts, Leander Tyrone Croom, Harry Ryan, Freddie McCoy, and Queentella Tyler.
Post Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:55 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: