FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Real time radio 10/21/06 Vote Yes for Health care, UR ?s

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
TRB

I host a weekly radio show on 1420 Am Wflt. 9 am Saturday

call in number 239-5733

My themes are family related, I have been on the air for about 40 weeks.

Health care access is an important issue for families in distress....

Today 10/21/06

In studio I am interviewing Senator Robert Emerson about the Health Care ballot proposal on the November ballot in Genesee County.

I will not transcribe the broad cast. Based on my biased nature an inability to type fast I am abandoning that initiative. I hope one of you continue it.

You are invited to post a question here, I will have my lap top, if I can lan connect I will read your question on air and ask Senator Emerson to answer.

I will be moving fast keep the Q 2-3 sentences and no personal attacks.

You are also invited to call into the station
239-5733

about 9:15 will be the best time.

Thank You
Terry Bankert
10/21/06
attorneybankert
attorneybankert@yahoo.com
1-810-235-1970
Post Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:26 am 
trb

ABOUT ROBERT EMERSON

http://senate.michigan.gov/emerson/index.htm

Senator Bob Emerson first joined the Legislature in a 1980 special election for a seat in the Michigan House of Representatives. He was subsequently re-elected to the House six times. He is serving his second term as Senator, representing Genesee County’s 27th Senate District. The district includes the cities of Fenton, Flint, Flushing, Montrose and Swartz Creek as well as Argentine, Clayton, Flint, Fenton, Flushing, Gaines, Genesee, Montrose and Mundy townships. Prior to being elected to the Legislature, Senator Emerson worked as a field representative and political coordinator for the American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees. He also worked as a Legislative Assistant to his predecessor.
1. Senator Emerson was born and raised in Alpena, Michigan. He graduated from the St. Paul Catholic Seminary in Saginaw, and attended Wayne State University and the University of Michigan - Flint.
He moved to Flint in 1969 and was employed by General Motors at the Chevrolet Engine Plant. He later worked at St. Joseph Hospital where he organized a union and served as its first president. His involvement led to a full time position with the International Union.
He has been active in his community and has served as a member of several community agencies and commissions. He was a founder of the Crim Road Race Inc., a non-profit corporation which sponsors one of the country's finest road races. This corporation has raised over one million dollars for the Michigan Special Olympics. He also founded and served as chairman of the Greater Flint Health Coalition.
Senator Emerson has been actively involved in education, health, & labor legislation over the course of his career. He worked on reforming the workers compensation and unemployment insurance laws and was instrumental in preserving MIOSHA in 1991.
In 1993, then-Representative Emerson served as a member of the special committee of 14 bipartisan Legislators chosen to suggest improvements to Michigan's school financing plan. As a co-chair of the School Aid Appropriations Subcommittee, he oversaw a complete restructuring of the school financing system.
As past chairperson of the House Public Health Subcommittee, he was involved with maternal and child health issues, including the designation of prenatal care as a basic health care service. He also made the funding of essential local health services a priority.
Senator Emerson currently serves as the Democratic Caucus Leader in the Senate, having served as Floor Leader during his previous term. He is responsible for coordinating and communicating Caucus positions on legislation and overseeing a staff of 50 that assists Caucus members in researching legislation and constituent communication. He continues with legislative responsibilities, serving on the Government Operations committee that reviews all appointments by the Governor. He is also a member of the Legislative Retirement Board of Directors.
Senator Emerson is married to Judy Samelson and is the proud father of four children.

about votes yes for health
http://www.mlive.com/columns/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-2/1160922089260420.xml&coll=5
Health care tax: Yes
Keeping, expanding coverage of uninsured aids entire county
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITIONSunday, October 15, 2006
Genesee County has so many residents without health coverage that it's hurting not only hospitals, which must treat all coming in their doors, but also employers that still provide medical benefits.
It's this harsh reality of our health care system - where the insured indirectly buy expensive emergency room care for those without coverage - that partly explains a prominent business group's support for a proposed health services millage on the Nov. 7 ballot.
While voters may recoil at one more grab for their wallets, proponents make a compelling humanitarian and economic development case for the 1-mill boost sought for seven years

The tax, which would raise an estimated $11.3 million the first year it's collected, primarily would help the Genesee Health Plan, a stunningly successful program that has been a lifesaver for uninsured adults who don't qualify for Medicaid or Medicare. Supported by federal dollars and foundation grants, nearly 25,000 low-income people enrolled are covered for doctor's office visits, lab tests, prescription drugs, X-rays, outpatient surgeries, medical supplies for diabetics and limited physical therapy.
While that's a large number, it is less than half of the county's uninsured, many of whom earn too much to qualify under current rules. Raising that limit to include those making twice the poverty level - but still under $20,000 for a single person - is one goal if the tax is approved.
But expanding the program to serve 34,000 people in two years, is not the main justification for this millage. Without the new revenue, those currently enrolled are in jeopardy because of anticipated changes in federal rules and impending loss of foundation support that together will halve Genesee Health Plan's budget.
Consequences of these events would victimize more than the program's clients, as depriving them of regular care would create a sicker population requiring more expensive treatments when emergencies occur. Spending $600 annually on an enrollee in the Genesee Health Plan saves $3,200 in uncompensated care.
That's a cost all share: Hospitals, doctors and employers offering health coverage, and workers who see their pay and benefits affected.
Is it any wonder then that the Genesee Regional Chamber of Commerce has endorsed this tax, not only to save money for its members, but to improve the climate for businesses it's hoping to attract? Entrepreneurs gladly would pay the 1-mill tax in exchange for a program that provides good health care to low-income workers. And contrary to what some might think, Genesee County's property tax burden would remain in the same general range as some other urban counties we've checked.
As in all taxing matters, the proposed health-care millage poses an age-old question: Will the cost at least match the value to be received? May voters decide that the answer is yes.

Terry Bankert
10/21/06
Post Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:51 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: