FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Check out Dale campaign site for Mayor. Pretty impressive.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Jason

Biggie:

What's the REAL difference whether it's on a Saturday or a weekday? Also, does it REALLY matter whether Joel Feick is there versus Michael Thorp or Bisi Oni-Lere or whomever?

Most campaign announcements, including those by presidential candidates, are not well covered. They generally get a couple of inches in the paper, at most (unless of course the candidate who is announcing is a celebrity, well known, etc.). I don't think having it on Saturday will make it any less noticed than if it was any other day. If anything, a weekend tends to be a slow newstime, so coverage might be better.

I guess it would be different if there was a chance that the media would really play it up if it was held some other time, but that seems unlikely. I would suggest that any candidate should be judged by their ideas as opposed to something as minor as when they choose to announce their candidacy.

Jason
Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:49 pm 
Katie

I would agree. It's not like Barbara Walters is going to come into town if he has it on a Monday versus a Saturday. Who cares?
Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:47 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Katie schreef:
I would agree. It's not like Barbara Walters is going to come into town if he has it on a Monday versus a Saturday. Who cares?

your right...who cares?

I'll tell you two people who should.

The candidate, but even more so, his campaign manager.

You want to run a ho hum, Perry Como energy level campaign....do it quietly. To win a race, you have to have energy, momentum etc. that usually starts when one formally announces...

But you're right, I really don't care. I was just asking a question as to why it was on a Saturday. Seemed counter-intuitive to me. And I still haven't heard any explanations, just people say why you asking? [it is a crime to ask questions isn't it]

Apparently you guys have more experience in running and winning elections, so I guess it isn't kosher to ask questions. Guess if Bah-wah Wah-tahs isn't coming he isn't worth worry about at all then.

In the words of Officer Barbrady..."Move along people, nothing to see here"

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:45 am 
Jason

Huh?
Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:29 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Jason schreef:
Huh?

yep. just what I figured.

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:00 pm 
philanthropiclady

In responce to Biggie 9 previous comment.....it seems that the choice of days for dale weighill's announcement didnt matter after all... I happened to attend it and the auditorium was packed as well as being joined by Weyi 25 and abc 12 news cameras...with some nice spots on the 12 , 6 and 7 oclock news saturday . Seems to have came off without a hitch. awesome
Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:22 pm 
Jason

Yes, I saw coverage again this morning on Channel 12. It was on at both 7am and 8am. Having it on a Saturday seems to have stretched out the news coverage into the following week. Good strategy.
Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:51 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
philanthropiclady schreef:
In responce to Biggie 9 previous comment.....it seems that the choice of days for dale weighill's announcement didnt matter after all... I happened to attend it and the auditorium was packed as well as being joined by Weyi 25 and abc 12 news cameras...with some nice spots on the 12 , 6 and 7 oclock news saturday . Seems to have came off without a hitch. awesome

it was a question, actually. I asked why a Saturday.

No one could answer. Although many supporters attacked the messenger/questioner [they need to chill, just trust in their own beliefs and try to become ambassadors for their candidate vice fascist thugs]

But you are right. In the scheme of things, when, where and how you start isn't important.

Its how you finish that is paramount.

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:04 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

oh and by the way, I totally missed in the news...since Saturdays is reserved for football, hockey, etc. which run on TV from noon to midnight.

I'll look through Sunday's paper.

Glad it was well attended, sounds like his campaign staff and supporters turned out.

I'm sure Joel Feick was there too? he does a good job covering local politics especially on the weekends.

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:07 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

quote:
Jason schreef:
Yes, I saw coverage again this morning on Channel 12. It was on at both 7am and 8am. Having it on a Saturday seems to have stretched out the news coverage into the following week. Good strategy.

Most people don't watch the news and I would be willing to bet if you asked 10 people at random on the streets of Flint "Who is Dale Weighill?", maybe one person could get it right.

If you asked "Who is Donald Williamson?. all ten people would give the correct answer and five of the people would comment on the paving of the streets and three would tell you that the Mayor works for free.

Anyone running against the Don is going to need more that a snappy website.

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Jason

Steve:

In politics, the challenger almost always has to build name ID over the course of the campaign, so it's to be expected that most of Don's opponents will be relatively unknown at this point (a year out). Undoubtedly Dale knows this and will plan/execute his campaign accordingly. He said as much at his announcement on Saturday.

I think if you look at U.S. political history you will find people who have won the Presidency who were nearly unknown by the country a year before they won. Bill Clinton in 1991-1992 is one example. The same thing could happen here in Flint.

Jason
Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:19 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Steve Myers schreef:
quote:
Jason schreef:

Most people don't watch the news and I would be willing to bet if you asked 10 people at random on the streets of Flint "Who is Dale Weighill?", maybe one person could get it right.

If you asked "Who is Donald Williamson?. all ten people would give the correct answer and five of the people would comment on the paving of the streets and three would tell you that the Mayor works for free.

Anyone running against the Don is going to need more that a snappy website.

Steve,
You got the picture of the donald on his personal, gold-plated, mayoral "throne"...but you need to complete the image; where is the image of his toilet paper that he proudly reminds all that he brings PERSONALLY from home. No second-hand, lowest bid, government supplied TP for his sensitive derriere.

He's proud of that! it should be depicted in the interest of accuracy.

The donald proudly sitting on his throne, passing edicts and the occasional whiff of a decree as it emanates from the font of local governance. With a jumbo roll of personal TP, embossed and personalized, to clean up any "messes".

it brings a tear to the eye.

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:47 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: