FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint City Council gets sued by its own lawyer

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-39/1161183068305050.xml&coll=5

The Flint City council is being sued by its own lawyer - City Attorney Trachelle Young - who filed the lawsuit in Genesee Circuit Court a day after clashing with council members over the hiring of an independent attorney.

Young admitted advising Williamson to veto the council's hiring of Forrest, but insisted she follows the law, not politics.

"Listen, Trachelle is so deep in the mayor's pocket she doesn't know if she's in the right pocket, the left pocket or the hip pocket," 9th Ward Councilman Scott Kincaid said.

Young singled out council Vice President Sheldon Neeley for saying the mayor is not empowered to veto council actions. And she questioned whether Neeley understands the City Charter.

Young mischaracterized his statements, Neeley said.

"I have just as much understanding of the charter as she does of the law," he said.

The lawsuit is a nuisance, he added.

"It doesn't bother me because she doesn't win very many cases," Neeley said.
Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:06 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

If the Council was doing something illegal or not in accordance with the Charter...

why didn't she say something sooner?

Wasn't she or one of her representatives at the meetings?

Someone please help me understand.

If she has been advising the Mayor? Why didn't she advise the Mayor a long time ago to submit the names of prospective Police Chiefs? She should have been ON TOP of this as soon as the Judge laid out his decsion. Shouldn't she?

What a fiasco... Another Mayorial scam.
Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

According to the charter the city attorney is to represent the city on all legal matters.

The council or the Mayor for that matter can not hire an attorney with out the city attorneys approval.

If the city attorney has a conflict of interest then she/he can appoint an out side attorney to represent the city in legal matters.

The Mayor has appointed Gary Hagler to the Deputy Chief position and has not found a suitable candidate for the Police Chief position.

The council should have let Young review the resolution scheduling the Misekow hearing, the lawsuit claims.

It is the job of the city attorney to protect the city's interest and I understand why she does want and outside attorney to represent the city or the council to remove someone for a position without her ok of the legality of there decision.

It is just a bunch of back biting in the city council part.

I wonder what secrets the council doesn't want the Mayor to know??

What does Sheldon Neeley and Scott Kincaid have to hide?

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:50 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

How do you come with this stuff? If I could figure that out... I might be able to figure out how to fix FLint.
quote:
According to the charter the city attorney is to represent the city on all legal matters. The council or the Mayor for that matter can not hire an attorney with out the city attorneys approval.
So why hasn't she? She has proven herself. TO not be looking out for the Citizens' the city's, or the council's best interest. And so again, I have to say. SHE WAS SITTING RIGHT THERE WhEN THEY WERE DISCUSSING HIRING AN ATTORNEY!!! IF THEY NEEDED TO HAVE HER PERMISSION!!! WHY DIDN'T SHE SAY SOMETHING AT THAT POINT? WHY WAIT UNTIL AFTER THEY'VE DONE IT? Why is the obvious so hard to grasp?

quote:
If the city attorney has a conflict of interest then she/he can appoint an out side attorney to represent the city in legal matters.

Anyone can go to the City's website and veiw the charter. And if they want to read the Charter and City ordinances. Considering the majority of her opinions since she was appointted, can be read by a high school drop out and you or anyone else can see she is wrong. There is "No Confidence" in this administration. Since by the way, She's been the attorney for 2 years and she is just now saying they cannot hire and attorney and that she should eb doing her job. Well OUTSTANDING! She should have been doing her job since she was appointed.

quote:
The Mayor has appointed Gary Hagler to the Deputy Chief position and has not found a suitable candidate for the Police Chief position.

What is suitabe? What are the qualifacations? Hmmm, We had a CHief that had a proven track record of fighting and lowering crime in Flint! If I was Mayor. And I had discovered that I couldn't handle the Job of Chief. I would have ate some crow and asked the Chief to come back. What more qualifactions do you need. THe best qualifaction I see... "Under Chief Barksdale, he lowered crime in Flint" What more do we really need? He was actually fixing many of the departments problems. Not creating new ones as Chief Williamson has been!.

quote:
It is the job of the city attorney to protect the city's interest and I understand why she does want and outside attorney to represent the city or the council to remove someone for a position without her ok of the legality of there decision.
So why does she decide that after two years she is finally gonig to start doing her job? Again, Since herself or one of the city attorney's are at every meeting? Why didn't she bring this up sooner? Before they hired an attorney? It was her responsibility to bring this up when they were discussing IN HER PRESENENCE the hiring of an attorney to force the Mayor to follow the charter.

quote:
It is just a bunch of back biting in the city council part.
HUH? THis is DON's Council! His hand Picked Council! What are you tlaking about? Seems apparent this was posted in an attempt to flame. Or your just not paying attention. This council has supported every dumb idea he has proposed, spending 600,000 more on garbage trucks from aubrun hills, hiring contractors from outside the city, buying tahoes without using the bid process.. They finally put the interest of the CIty and the citizens first. And you think they have something to hide?

quote:
I wonder what secrets the council doesn't want the Mayor to know??

What does Sheldon Neeley and Scott Kincaid have to hide?

Now that just doesn't make any sense whatsoever?
Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:26 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ted you win.

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:25 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

To paraphrase for Ted

1. The city attorney should have said something when the council made this decision.

2. The city attorney has failed to properly interpret zoning ordinances.

3. If Hagler is not suitable perhaps the mayor should have delayed firing our police cheif who was slowly lowering crime.

4, The council has shown a desire to support the mayors decisions on various issues.

5. As far as back biting goes it's the mayor that has failed to appoint a police chief etc.
Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:49 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: