FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Dr. Cross Daily Log
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
CrossSchoolBoard schreef:
I'm aware that we have an internal finance team. I'm specifically talking about an internal auditing team (sometimes they call these people internal reviewers because it sounds less scary to other employees who have to talk to them)

That Robert Allen guy must have been one heck of a man. I've never heard anything but praise for him. Unfortunate that we lost him. Any chance we can get him back?

Can you NOT read between the lines?

get a clue Mike.

Good financial people left when the flim-flam man came in from New York and started playing games with the money and the rules in general [you know, like submitting fingerprints for a background check, for both him AND Julius "the Molester" Anthony. Like moving Title I money into other uses...etc.

How do you "blow the whistle" on the boss when its painfully apparent he is the fair haired child of the majority of the board...HIS BOSS. They gave him carte blanche, then sat back and adopted the "see no evil" "hear no evil" "speak no evil" poses, led by the chief thug and bully Herb Cleaves who only cares about seeing a black face and nice clothes o nthe person in charge. He's made that abundantly clear, all aspects of what I just wrote.
Unconditional support of Milton; Only a black can run a black-majority school district. You could catch Milton engaging in cannibalism and Cleaves.
would give him a pass.

There is a minority of the board who are attempting to conduct objective oversight, but how can they when Milton controls the flow of information [sparse, incomplete, late]; others like Dave Doherty have abdicated their responsibility in the interest of "can we all get along" by the Racist bully Cleaves.

The best thing that can happen to this district is for the state to come in, sweep Milton out, the racists, incompetents and timid off the board, blow up the whole thing and start over.

Sorry all you apologists who said, "no let Milton have his chance, taking him out would be worse than letting him continue [this was many months ago when the brohaha over his resume and then the Anthony incident]" This was based on the assumption that Milton could not do worse than what was there....WRONG.

FInally, for those who defended the reform plan, one of the main contentions is that the plan has been used elsewhere, with success. Well, if thats so, then we really don't need MILTON per se. We just need someone who understands that plan, preferably with experience in implementing the plan, which I don't believe Milton has. So let Milton go, he is in over his HEAD. And he has shown a disregard and inability for following RULES of business, policies and procedures [witness his previous School district, now finding all sorts of financial irregularities during his brief tenure there].

fact is people are creature of habits; Milton has a track record of playing fast and loose with the money and the rules, and knows enough to move along before the crap hits the fan. Larry Brown take note.

and take Cleaves with you.

Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:35 pm 
Play N. Hookie

April 26, 2006

State to audit Fallsburg schools

By Paul Brooks
Times Herald-Record
pbrooks@th-record.comspamfilter
Fallsburg - The Fallsburg School District has asked for a state audit of possible mismanagement by former Superintendent Walter Milton Jr.

The request comes after a routine annual outside audit of the district's books and procedures for the 2004-05 school year.

Among other irregularities, the auditors found:

- The district paid $80,000 in penalties for paying payroll taxes late.

- Milton charged thousands of dollars in personal expenses on a district credit card, but auditors could not determine if he had completely reimbursed the district.

- Many questionable expenses were charged to district credit cards, including more than $600 for a farewell party for a business official.

- Milton received $12,000 to cover his moving expenses from Rochester, but auditors said the moving contract they found was for $4,000. The $12,000 in moving expenses was not recorded in district financial records and was discovered through bank records.

- Auditors said there were errors made in calculating Milton's salary and that they could not determine if he had been paid correctly. He would have made $133,000 this school year.

Auditors called the problems "material weaknesses," or conditions that run the risk that "errors or fraud ... may occur and not be detected within a timely period."

Interim Superintendent Charlotte Gregory credited the school board for asking the state comptroller to come in as soon as possible. The state audit begins May 8, she said.

"We have stacks of stuff for them (the auditors) to go through," Gregory said yesterday.

Both Gregory and board President Robert Scheinman said they believe that no money is missing from district coffers.Steps have been taken to correct the shortcomings cited by auditors, they said. For instance, the district was able to get back more than two-thirds of the $80,000 in late tax penalties. It has eliminated district credit cards, too, Gregory said. The audit was done in the fall by the accounting firm of Gitlin, Knack & Pavloff, which has an office in Middletown.

Milton left Fallsburg Sept. 30 after two years as superintendent. He became superintendent of Flint, Mich., schools - a district with 21,300 students - compared with 1,400 students in Fallsburg. Last fall, he ran into trouble in Flint when it was learned he had not received all of the advanced educational degrees he claimed on his resume. Milton did not respond to messages left Friday, Monday and yesterday with his office in Flint.

"He was a very good educational leader," Scheinman said. "I believe a lot of the things he did he didn't believe were inappropriate. He just didn't know."

Record Online is brought to you by the Times Herald-Record, serving New York's Hudson Valley and the Catskills.
Terms of use | Privacy policy | Copyright | Corrections
Subscribe | Advertise | THR services | Contact

© Orange County Publications. All rights reserved.
Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:40 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

"He was a very good educational leader," Scheinman said. "I believe a lot of the things he did he didn't believe were inappropriate. He just didn't know."

great resume for an edcuational leader.

He just didn't know. ie; no knowledge.

He didn't feel they were inappropriate; that is substituting HIS judgement vice established policies/regulations......does he believe in filing his taxes on time? maybe he feels not paying them is ok?

Is anyone else bothered at least a little by Mr Scheinman's attitude?

Its starting to dawn on me; like the "Music Man" [remember the story behind that musical?] Milton has a rare ability to charm people he associates with to the extent they fall hook line & sinker for his image and story. So much so, like Scheinman, they believe in him even when the forensic evidence starts to paint a different picture. They can't reconcile the disparity; but as humans we tend to dwell as much on the emotional as the scientific...so are reluctant to give up the charismatic positive image we have of the leader.

Clearly leading a small district of 1400 students is a different league than 20,000 [or however many we have left now]...maybe he wasn't ready for the size and the challenge with the myriad of policies and procedures a larger district has [think business practices of a small mom/pop store versus a Fortune 500 corportaion]. It may be okay to have less formal business practices when the stakes are lower and the rules are more flexible; but not so in a large corporation.

Anyway you slice it; he doesn't have what it takes to manage & lead this school district. Let him go.

Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:56 pm 
Khut N. Rhunn

Here's the thing...

We need to investigate Milton now... while he is still in town...

Everything he touched or had or has access to...

If we wait it might be to late to recover $$...

After he leaves someone will end up saying "We found gross problems, missing money, etc... but no crime has been broken, and he's no longer superentendant and he's in another state... So, we just need to move on and make cuts to make up for our newly found $ shortage...

We cannot wait...

Begin the investigation now. His "position" means nothing...

Dont wait.

PS, I do not have any evidence that he has done anything wrong (or right, for that matter), But this guy smells bad & did from the start...

All Im saying is dont wait... It'll be too late....
Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:08 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Khut N. Rhunn schreef:
Here's the thing...

We need to investigate Milton now... while he is still in town...

Everything he touched or had or has access to...

If we wait it might be to late to recover $$...

After he leaves someone will end up saying "We found gross problems, missing money, etc... but no crime has been broken, and he's no longer superentendant and he's in another state... So, we just need to move on and make cuts to make up for our newly found $ shortage...

We cannot wait...

Begin the investigation now. His "position" means nothing...

Dont wait.

PS, I do not have any evidence that he has done anything wrong (or right, for that matter), But this guy smells bad & did from the start...

All Im saying is dont wait... It'll be too late....

I think that is a strategy ONLY if the guy is/was committing [or appeared to be] malfeasance of office AND was staying in office.

Since he appears to committed to a quick exit strategy [like Snagglepuss, the pink mountain lion... "Exit...Stage riiiight, " is it really worth the emotional and financial energy? I agree, investigate to prevent a re-occurence, so morons like Cleaves can't foist a similar flim-flam man on the school district again; But to file criminal charges? Only if its shown he broke laws....like financial or state/federal funding rules. If federal rules were broken, then he's fair game wherever he lands.
Honestly, as much as I think he's shown he's incapable and now UNWILLING to lead the FCS, I find it hard to believe any other school district looking at what he's done, and the willingness to jump ship in the middle of a campaign, would seriously consider him.

i mean how can Springfield, seeing how willing he apparently is to leave in the middle of his own plan here, believe he wouldn't do the same to them?

Once a person shows he can not be trusted or committed to be a loyal member, he becomes untrustworthy for all future endeavors. You can never trust a traitor, even if he is betraying the oppostion to your benefit..its only a matter of time before he turns on you too.

anyone remember Larry Brown & the Pistons and all the teams before and after?

Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:37 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Thursday April 5, 2007

I believe it’s against FCS policy for a candidate for school board to be allowed to campaign on school grounds during school hours (if it's not against policy, it should be.) So I don't even consider doing so. However, it's not against FCS policy to have a friend come visit you. So I feel comfortable going and visiting and talking to my many friends and family throughout the district.

Today I was in two different FCS schools visiting friends. They couldn't have been more different.........

As children were passing between classes in the hallway of one school, the children were walking in a single file line, well behaved, and you could have heard a pin drop.

In the other, children were passing between classes and you couldn't even hear yourself think. I'm serious - the noise was unbearable and literally hurt my ears.

It’s in the trenches where you learn the most about an organization. Spending time where the action is, is really the key to seeing if policies and procedures created at the upper level management positions are being implemented/adhered to and/or effective.

Listening (REALLY listening) to the people in the trenches is the other piece of the puzzle. It’s by listening to them, and the customer (parents) that you will gain the most useful information in terms of what policies need to be established in order to most effectively and efficiently drive the organization toward the long term vision. .

I said in a previous post that one of the best pieces of advice that somebody gave me when I decided to throw my hat in the ring for political office is “don’t make any promises you can’t keep.” Well, here comes a promise: if elected, I WILL visit every single school in the district on a regular basis. Usually unannounced – not because I want to surprise or “sneak up” on people, but because I want to see what is really happening in the trenches on a daily basis.

Had a committee meeting tonight. I’m lucky to have such committed and passionate people working with the campaign. I’ve met some wonderful people over the last couple of months…….and it’s reassuring to know that this many people are really passionate about Flint, the FCS and it’s future.

If you’re a reader and you’d like to do your part to help the campaign. Send me an email requesting a yard sign……crossschoolboard@aol.com

Don't forget to check out the next edition of Uncommon Sense. Should be some good School Board related information in there.

Peace and Have a good Good Friday.

Mike
Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:22 pm 
rapunzel

Candidate Forum
For
Flint Community Schools- Board Of Education
Tuesday, April 24, 2007
6:30 - 9PM
Mott Community College- Regional Technology Center
1401 E. Court St. Flint, MI 48503
Cosponsored by:
Flint Area Public Affairs Debates:
Baker College, Flint Community Schools, Genesee Intermediate School District, Kettering University, Michigan State University Cooperative Extension, Mott Community College, The Flint Club, University of Michigan- Flint.
&
The League of Women Voters of the Flint Area
&
Alumni Chapter -Delta Sigma Theta Sorority

Rap says,

Many candidates have not replied or sent 100 word or less Bio?

Are they serious candidates? We have broadcasting scheduled three times on ch 17 to reach the public in a fair/ honest forum.

Milton climbing the ladder puts our children at risk, state funding, combined with board elections completes a perfect storm.

Mike will you attend this candidate forum? Did you send your BIO?

Trying my damndest to inform the public! To help them make an educated decision and make every vote count.

Do you plan on participating? FAPAD is considering canceling this forum due to LACK of Candidates Response!

PEACE,

RAP
Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:09 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Friday, April 6, 2007

Rap, Yes, I've spoken with R.G. Told her that I most certainly do plan on attending and I'm looking forward to it.

I hope they don't cancel! They should hold it even if only a few of the candidates show up. I believe that ANY forum that allows all the candidates to be heard and addressed is to my benefit. I wish there were more. I wish there was one a day from now until the election. And I wish the entire population of Flint would show up at all of them to truly learn what each candidate has to offer.

Wow, what a tumultuous week for the FCS. Good bye Walter Milton. I was prepared to work productively with you………..I was even looking forward to consulting you on how to improve your management/leadership skills……but evidently, that’s not going to happen. So what now? I believe there is really only one option – to hire the one person that the entire district seems to want………(I won’t mention any names)……………But here’s the kicker……………He/She is a wonderfully well respected, admired and capable person……..a true Flint person in every sense of the word……………….but this person doesn’t feel like the current board is driving the district in the right direction…………………..and this person isn’t thrilled about serving as superintendent under the current school board.

I read the latest update on the Milton situation from the ABC website. I refuse to go down the road of “negative” campaigning………..so the following observation will strictly be my impression/intuition…….nothing negative: I notice that Stephanie Robb-Martin is suggesting that we continue the reform plan as established by Dr. Milton.

I don’t know Ms. Robb-Martin. She certainly seems like an intelligent and strong woman. My guess is that underneath the exterior – she’s FUMING that Dr. Milton put her in this situation. She put all her chips in one basket (the reform plan)…..and now the basket holder (Milton) is jumping ship. I would absolutely hate being an incumbent in the upcoming election.

The Flint Community Schools needs a little less politics and a lot more talent.

All I can ask you is to vote May 8th.

Enjoy your Easter Holiday.

Flint Forever,

Mike
Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:18 pm 
Rapunzel

All of the current admin are concerned primarily with climbing the ladder.

There is another...

Dr. Chow is leaving Hamtrammick (sp).

He puts the children first over his career, my daughter endorses him. She is 10 . Children are pretty smart. She is good at math.

She and I trust Dr. Chow to listen and to count.

Peace,
RAP
Post Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:07 am 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Rap,

On paper Dr. Chow might be a good candidate. But do you really think you could get the community to buy into his return? That would be a tough sell.
But I'd be open to any and all suggestions.

Mike
Post Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:25 am 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I apologize for my hiatus but I’m currently on vacation out of state. Weather is not great here but at least it’s not snowing.

Had my Great Schools Initiative (GSI) interview by phone tonight. They asked good questions…..tough questions. I like tough questions. Tough questions tend to cast a true light on the candidates.

Also chatted with a Journal reporter tonight who is doing a story on the candidates. She asked me about this daily log on Flinttalk.com because she has heard about it. I told her that I’m continuing to do it because I’ve already had nearly a thousand hits to the site and numerous people (even strangers) have come up to me and thanked me for it. One of the questions asked of me by the GSI interviewers led me to talk about this daily log and how I hope to continue it if elected, so that the community has an “inside scoop” on the School Board. This would serve as a means of accountability……….which you certainly can’t have enough of in the political realm.

At the end of the interview, the Journal reporter asked me if there was anything else I wanted to add………………my response: “I hope that the voters in the upcoming election will look to the candidates that are talking about inclusiveness for all the citizens of the community and NOT the candidates preaching about divisiveness.”

The ONLY way we’re going to turn this city and school district around is if everybody/every group is on board and represented. This divisiveness card has been being played for the last 30 years………it’s old, it’s stale, and it’s done nothing but damage the city. Time for a change.

Peace and Flint Forever

Mike
Post Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:45 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

I'm very fortunate to have a dedicated group of people who are working with me as my campaign committee. As mentioned in yesterday's post, I'm on vacation with my family and yet.........I received an email today informing me of everything that they had accomplished in my absence. I feel semi-guilty knowing that I'm on vacation and these individuals are working hard on my campaign. Deep down inside though, I realize that they're not working this hard for "me"............but they're working this hard because they want what is best for the School District.

These people are representative of what it is going to take to turn the district around......i.e.........concerned citizens/parents/teachers going above and beyond because they have a vested interest in the school district and its future.

One of the many things that occurred today is that invitations were picked up, addressed and mailed to 250 households, inviting them to my fundraiser on April 19th at Luigi's Restaurant from 4pm to 7pm. Consider this an open invitation to you if you're reading this...............I would be beyond thrilled to have a few of you come up to me at the fundraiser and mention that you are concerned citizens who read about the event on Flinttalk.com...................It would signify that you are concerned about Flint politics AND savvy enough to absorb at least some of your news/information from innovative sources. We need more people like this if this city is going to turn itself around. I’ll be waiting to shake your hand at the fundraiser.

Peace and Flint Forever,

Mike
Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:25 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I enjoy reading your posts Mike.

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Thursday, April 12, 2007

In a post in another Topic, a reader made the following comments:

“There seems to be a feeling/belief that changing the facade of the schools (in form of new Board members, better management etc) that kids will be better educated thereby. That is a completely erroneous leap of faith...it just will not be forthcoming! But again, I do not disagree with the premise that new schools, board members, etc are needed but they will not be the conveyers of better education.
I do believe the American Institutes of Research have it right when they say "" the lesson may be that schools can get better with concerted effort but the most important changes are those made in the classroom, not in management". Again that is not to say that good management is not good but will not do much if anything to help kids learn.”

My response:

I couldn’t disagree more! It is a terrible mistake to believe that the organization management of a school district does not directly affect the children being educated. What happens when good management practices are not adhered to within any organization is that expenses quickly surpass revenues and that organization finds itself on the brink of insolvency (ring a bell?) When the bottom line of the financial documents show a net loss, cuts are imminent. Do you actually believe these cuts don’t affect the education of the children? You’re correct in stating “that the most important changes are those that take place in the classroom.” But curriculum and content change is expensive – it requires an investment in training, supplies, materials, etc. Without good management practices, you’ll never maintain the revenue necessary for the investment in the children.

Board members and superintendents who are trained to believe that sound fiscal management is not imperative to a district, practice their responsibilities without accountability and the misperception that they’ve been given a blank check (again, sound familiar)

In this school board race, when people talk about good management practices and dollars and sense, they ARE talking about the children and our ability to educate them.

Peace

Mike
Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:10 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Friday, April 13, 2007

Back from vacation. Didn't even realize that today was Friday the 13th until I typed the header of this post above. It's probably a good thing I wasn't aware of that - since I spent most of today on a plane.

Back to hitting the streets tomorrow. I must admit I've actually missed the door to door visits over the last week. It's the door to door knocking that gives you the best perception for how the residents of the city truly feel. Tomorrow I plan on spending most of my time in Evergreen estates. This neighborhood has sentimental value to me as my grandparents lived there for a few years while I was growing up. Many fond memories of the park that was in their backyard (is it called Cook Park?)

Today it is primarily made up of middle class African American families. This neighborhood has a higher than average voter turn out.......so it will be time well spent if I can make some connections with the residents of the neighborhood.

If you haven't checked out the latest edition of The Uncommon Sense newspaper, I would highly encourage you to do so. There is good coverage of the candidates and their responses to questions posed by Matt Zachs of the newspaper. Read for yourself and make your own judgements on the candidates. Also consider checking out mitube.org for the full length interviews. Again, watch, absorb, and make your own judgements. An informed voter is a valuable voter.

FYI: One correction to the Uncommon Sense article: according to the article, Herb and I live in the same house on Wolcott Street. While I'm sure we would make for interesting housemates, we don't actually live together. Cool

Don't forget May 8th. Is it hyperbole for me to suggest that this date is truly a crossroads for Flint? A day where the voters can decide whether to stay on the path of division or we start healing through the process of inclusion? We shall see.

Peace

Mike
Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:49 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: