FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Dr. Cross Daily Log
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

OOSL2:

Yes, I live in Flint (you can't run for the school board if you aren't a resident within the city). My parents still live in Flint (the house I grew up in) and my in-laws still live in Flint as well. My only living grandparent also lives in Flint. I've lived in Flint my entire life except for the 4 years immediately following vet school, in which I lived in Grand Blanc...........for the record, had my garage and car broken into in Grand Blanc. I"ve never experienced similar episodes in Flint (knock on wood).

Please see the very last paragraph of Terry's post for the answer to your second question.

Thanks for the inquiry.

Mike
Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:53 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
CrossSchoolBoard schreef:
Please see the very last paragraph of Terry's post for the answer to your second question.
This is the last paragraph:
quote:
6. If you would like to elaborate on your answer to one of the first three questions or have anything else you¹d like to add, please include it here.
I am representative of the thousands of parents who don’t feel comfortable with the current state of affairs within the school district. I am a huge proponent of the Flint Community Schools and public schools in general and yet I don’t currently feel comfortable sending my child to the FCS. This is the reason I’m running. I won’t be satisfied until I am proud to send my children to the FCS. If they don’t graduate from the Flint Community Schools, I will feel like I have failed.
This doesn't directly answer the question about where your child attends school, although your statements could be taken to mean your child does not attend a Flint public school. No one is comfortable with the current state of affairs within the school district. How can we expect to teach children to deal with adversity in satisfactory ways if they are not subjected to it, if all the civil children are sent away and the only ones left here are the problem ones? Can we expect to hire and retain teachers if all who are left are problem children? Shouldn't the school board members be setting examples for the students and community they want to represent by working on solutions to the problems together?
Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:38 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

couldn't have said it better myself.
Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:11 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Sunday, April 1, 2007

Interesting news about Dr. Milton today. I have a sneaking suspicion that nothing would make that man happier than to cut his losses and “get the heck out of Dodge.” The next few days should be interesting to see how things pan out.

More door to door knocking today. What is it with this recurring theme of residents not wanting to send their kids to the FCS? Only met one family with children along my trail today. Happens to be somebody I graduated with that I wasn’t aware lived in Flint. He had his child enrolled at Doyle Rider, but no more. Pulled his child out last year.

2 days of door to door knocking and I’ve yet to meet a family with a child who attends the FCS. This is troubling, but there is a bright side to this. There is a HUGE market of families that are dying to send there kids to the FCS, they just need to know it’s headed in the right direction.

Whether you like it or not, whether it’s fair or not, you can’t hide the fact that education is big business now days. It’s a tenet of capitalism that competition is good for the consumer. The competition from private and charter schools have given parents (the consumer) more options. And they’re leaving the FCS in droves. It sounds crazy – but the private and charter schools actually profit from the FCS being in turmoil. Time for the FCS to step up to the competition. I’m not so sure everybody within the school system “gets” this. We should be fighting tooth and nail for the loyalty of the parents of Flint. They ARE the customer.

Again…………….easier said than done………..but it can be done.
Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:12 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
CrossSchoolBoard schreef:
More door to door knocking today. What is it with this recurring theme of residents not wanting to send their kids to the FCS?

We should be fighting tooth and nail for the loyalty of the parents of Flint. They ARE the customer.
Apparently they feel the say way you do. But what do you consider "loyalty of the parents of Flint"?
Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:26 pm 
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

Mike your desired position on the school board is full of formidable challenges. As you know, I live inside the city. However, my children do not attend FCS. My children did attend elementary school at Neithercut, but as soon as my son was entering McKinley, I pulled my children out. My children now attend Swartz Creek Schools through the school of choice program and have done so for the past 5 years. I was concerned for the safety of my children and the negative atmosphere I believed they would have been exposed to in Flint. As a police officer I see the deterioration of morals and respect among the youth of our community. This, of course, is directly related to the prominence of single parent families and the lack of community involvement when it comes to raising our youth. Unfortunately many parents today believe it is the school systems responsibility to teach their children the skills necessary to survive in todays society. As far as math, reading, writing, computer skills etc., this is true, but when it comes to manners, respect and understanding right from wrong, that all begins at home. This is not the responsibility of our teachers and police officers. Remember growing up....if your did something stupid down the block from home the neighbor would come out and scold your or swat you, then he/she would take you home to your parents where the scenario would repeat with your parents as disciplinarians. Also, what ever happened to corporal punishment in school. I know I received a few swats in school growing up, and I call people maam and sir and know the difference between right and wrong, and as far as I can tell I'm not emotionally scarred. Well, I'm beginning to ramble, but needless to say, knowing you personally and respecting you, I know you will do a fine job on the school board and I wish you lots of luck.
Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:16 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Bossman, while it is true that manners, respect and understanding right from wrong begins at home and the general consensus is that it is not the responsibility of teachers and police officers, times have changed so drastically that survival requires we all take an active role to do what we can to reach the hearts and minds of kids who clearly don't get this at home. This should start as early as Pre-K and Kindergarden, sooner if the opportunity arises. How many times have you encountered a frightened child and given him/her a teddy bear in an abusive environment. The officer in uniform just reaching out with a kind word to assure that child you care is something he'll remember. Have you talked with a youngster who has shoplifted and given him a warning--was it enough to keep him from repeating the behavior. I believe citizenship, self-discipline, respect and manners should be taught in school, too, and through rose-colored glasses I'd like to believe if they pick up on it in school maybe, just maybe, they can influence their own caregivers for the good.
Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:23 pm 
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

00SL2, I alluded to the fact that it is a group effort to raise a child in my text. However, I do believe that 9 times out of 10 if the positive behavior is not reinforced at home it will not stick. I do make an effort to reach out to all children, unfortunately most of the time I don't come into contact with troubled children until the negative behavior is to well instilled. The biggest problem is that most of these kids don't have any respect for themselves. If they don't respect themselves, then they certainly aren't going to respect others. This is why the teachers today are having so many problems, especially in inner-city schools. The kids don't have enough respect for their teachers or their peers to allow them to teach or be taught. They do what they want, when they want without regard for the rights of others. This creates an unfortunate environment for the children who are interested in obtaining a quality education and the teachers who are trying to provide it. I do believe that there are still quality educators in our system and quality students. Unfortunately the environment doesn't allow them to flourish.
Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:40 am 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Monday, April 2, 2007

Thanks for the support Bossman. (I too received a couple of whacks on the hiney - as far as I can tell, I'm not scarred for life either.)

Received the UTF endorsement today. Introduced myself at the UTF council meeting tonight -as did the other 4 candidates endorsed:

1 year term: Jennifer Dillard
2 year term: Michael Cross
4 year term: Fred Bashir
4 year term: Erycka Hunter
4 year term: Harold Woodson

All of them did a good job addressing the audience. I'm very impressed with the academic and professional credentials of this group. Each one of them would make a great contribution to the board. Keep a special eye out for Erycka Hunter. She's only 24 years old - I predict a very bright future for her.

I’m pleased and honored to receive this endorsement. Whatever professional success I’ve enjoyed in my life has been directly attributable to the teachers I had growing up in the Flint Community Schools. So it means a great deal to me to be endorsed by this group.

I told them that I’ve always felt that the two professions that should receive the most compensation are those who save lives and those who teach. Any Flint resident who thinks teachers have an easy job should spend a day at their local Flint Community School.

I certainly made no promises to them in light of the current fiscal situation. But they do have my respect and appreciation. I’ll do whatever I can to support their positions.

More door to door knocking today. Most of the people I met today were senior citizens. A few of them gave me an earful regarding their opinions of the school system. One feisty woman (and I mean that as a term of endearment) was adamant that the next Superintendent needs to be from/of/ and for Flint. She wants a true Flintstone/Flintoid to run the school system. Somebody she doesn’t have to worry about “cutting and running.” Interesting perspective and one that I’ve heard other people voice before. Maybe only a Flint person – somebody who’s in it for the long-haul, could ever really win over the parents, citizens and employees. Any volunteers?

Until tomorrow, Peace

Mike
Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:33 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Nothing exciting today. Got some clerical stuff in order regarding the campaign (reconciling campaign bank statement, balancing campaign check book, etc.)

Made a few phone calls to people interested in campaign. Instructed them how they could help out.

A thought:

Behavioral managment of people, whether it's an employee, a student, a son, or a daughter, is really all about 3 things:

1) Expectations (what do I expect from you)
2) Boundaries (what I will, and will not tolerate)
3) Consequences (what happens if you step over the boundries)

Do we have clear expectations of the students in the FCS?
Are the boundaries well defined?
Are the consequences severe enough to influence students to want to stay within the boundaries?

I think No, No and No

Back to more knocking door to door tomorrow.

Peace and Go LaKisha!

Mike

Last edited by CrossSchoolBoard on Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:47 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

A good book is "Boundaries with Kids, When to Say YES, When to Say NO, to Help Your Children Gain Control of Their Lives," by Dr.Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend, Zondervan Publishing House, Grand Rapids, MI 49530, copyright 1998. ISBN 0-310-20035-0 (hardcover). A quote from the text: "Before you start preaching boundaries to your child, start walking the walk." (There is also Boundaries for Teens recently by Dr. Townsend.)

It's also on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0310243157/bookstorenow600-20

and Cloud Townsend Resources (volume discounts available)
http://store.cloudtownsendstore.com/bowikibo.html

Is there a way the Flint School Board or a community agency could sponsor an extracurricular program at the schools similar to this for students, parents and other interested parties? Publish and promote through Flint Journal, online, schools and courts, use a large auditorium such as the Whiting. The authors do seminars. Flint certainly needs the boundaries education.
Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:07 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

OOSL2 - thanks for the suggestion. I ordered the book tonight - sounds interesting.

Who the heck ordered this weather! How am I supposed to campaign in this?

Had to do a couple of radio interviews and a camera interview for channel 25 regarding the pet food toxin issue. As chairman of the public education committee for the Michigan Veterinary Medical Association, it's my job to be the public ed spokesman.............Can I just say I HATE being on camera!

I've got to share this story:

I went up to the school that I mentor at yesterday and while I was waiting for my mentee to come down to the office, I was chatting with the principal. A young lady (2nd grader) came into the office and the principal wanted to introduce me to her because she's a 2nd grader reading at a 6th grade level.

So I say to the girl. "hey I heard you're pretty smart!" She looked at me and shrugged her shoulders with an expression of disinterest (the kind of look only a second grader can give you)..........so I ask her........"whats the capital of Michigan?".............................she looks at me, as if I had insulted her for asking her such an easy question..........she answers .........."M" Smile

Gotta love that kid!

Went to the board meeting tonight. The district desperately needs a team of internal auditors. Almost all large organizatoins (including most school districts) employ these people to analyze and review fiscal issues and analyze potential expenditures. The board was trying to decide whether or not to purchase a new HVAC unit for the Skill Center. They were asking legitimate questions that could not be answered by the person they were addressing. An internal auditor could have came to the board with all the right answers and presented the board with an easy decision. In this case, it's not the board that is at fault for asking questions, its the system that is at fault for not having the answers.

Peace to all. Thank you to all who have told me they enjoy these posts. Appreciate the support. (big shout out to V.H. - you know who you are Smile

Mike
Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:20 pm 
rapunzel

We do have internal finance! Heavens...bringing new board members up on past events...Smile!

Marios was head of Finance and left soon after Dr. Chow. He left in charge Robert Allen who had studied under him for years. Both men highly ethical and knowledgable in the intricate funding of this district.

Robert Allen left not so long ago....will leave you to surmize why? Did I say he was highly ethical? Both still own houses in this district, family etc. Would not have left had they not strong reasons.

We have more in the finance dept. but they will not step up for thier good reasonings.

So we are currently outsourcing head of Finance. hmmm...Go figure.

Peace,
RAP
Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:54 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

I'm aware that we have an internal finance team. I'm specifically talking about an internal auditing team (sometimes they call these people internal reviewers because it sounds less scary to other employees who have to talk to them)

That Robert Allen guy must have been one heck of a man. I've never heard anything but praise for him. Unfortunate that we lost him. Any chance we can get him back?
Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:05 am 
jackson

Isn't it interesting how -- not only Allen (who, I agree, was ethical and very competent, -- but some other top administrators have left the district. It appears to me that this Super only wanted his own YES men (and women) in all the key positions at the Ad Bldg ---- and, to some extent, in key building assignments, also.

The irony, of course, is that the Milton plan had many good aspects; and, certainly, positive and desireable goals. Implemented over time, with the help and support of the good people and with attention to the well functioning programs already in place, the plan might have been good for the District. Throwing out many good programs, driving out good administrators, ignoring sound advice, and -- figuratively "thumbing his nose at the community" has been pure Milton.

Robert Allen is one casualty: the community and Flint children, however, are saddled with debt and mis-managment for years to come.
Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:22 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: