FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Vote YES on Proposal 1 February 27th

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

On Feb. 27th Flint Voters will be Voting on Medical Marijuana

Flint voters will decide next month on a municipal initiative that seeks to exempt qualified patients from local prosecution if they possess and use cannabis under a physician's recommendation.

Sponsored by the Flint Coalition for Compassionate Care, Proposal 1 amends city law so that the possession of cannabis and cannabis paraphernalia by authorized patients would no longer be a criminal offense. Proponents submitted approximately 2,000 signatures from local voters last August to qualify the measure on the 2007 ballot.

Ann Arbor, Detroit, Ferndale, and Traverse City have approved similar citizen voter initiatives since 2004.

Flint citizens will vote on the measure on Tuesday, February 27, 2007.

Medical marijuana seems to be very effective at helping people like chemo patients melanoma etc. Although legal drugs like alcohol kill thousands of people every year I think the benefits to certain people with certain conditions outweigh the risks of legalizing this relatively harmless drugs for these people.

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:20 am 

Where can we find the actual text of the proposed law?
Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:48 pm 
Josh

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:

Flint voters will decide next month on a municipal initiative that seeks to exempt qualified patients from local prosecution if they possess and use cannabis under a physician's recommendation.

Sponsored by the Flint Coalition for Compassionate Care, Proposal 1 amends city law so that the possession of cannabis and cannabis paraphernalia by authorized patients would no longer be a criminal offense. Proponents submitted approximately 2,000 signatures from local voters last August to qualify the measure on the 2007 ballot.

Ann Arbor, Detroit, Ferndale, and Traverse City have approved similar citizen voter initiatives since 2004.

Medical marijuana seems to be very effective at helping people like chemo patients melanoma etc. Although legal drugs like alcohol kill thousands of people every year I think the benefits to certain people with certain conditions outweigh the risks of legalizing this relatively harmless drugs for these people.

Will you be there Adam?
Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:49 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Josh schreef:
quote:
Adam Ford schreef:

Will you be there Adam?

...don't bogart that joint, my friend, pass it over to me...

strictly for medicinal purposes of course....

ahh the good old days of rock 'n roll music.....woodstock et al....

there is no pharmaceutical substitute?

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:43 pm 

As a former chemo patient...could not stand the scent of smoke on someone 2 yards away that had smoked two days before. Sensitivity to smell.

Pharmaceuticals? What is Pot supposed to help? Appetite?

Could replace Zoloft as an anti-depressant.
Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:53 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Anonymous schreef:
As a former chemo patient...could not stand the scent of smoke on someone 2 yards away that had smoked two days before. Sensitivity to smell.

I may be wrong or incompletely informed, but I thought the active ingrediant, cannabis, helped with anti-nausea properties?

I can't believe its for pain-killing, or depression as there are so many other drugs out there.

BUT. As a person with a medical condition, I can personally attest that the side-effects of those drugs may preclude their use. The cure, in my case, was worse than the disease.

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:00 pm 
GregoryJVanucci
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
quote:
Anonymous schreef:

I may be wrong or incompletely informed, but I thought the active ingrediant, cannabis, helped with anti-nausea properties?

I can't believe its for pain-killing, or depression as there are so many other drugs out there.

BUT. As a person with a medical condition, I can personally attest that the side-effects of those drugs may preclude their use. The cure, in my case, was worse than the disease.

Tetrahydrocannabinol, (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol), a.k.a. THC, is the main psychoactive ingredient in pot.

Several chemo patients I've spoken with have said that nothing soothes the nausea as well as a joint.

Others I've heard about (t.v., etc.) say the THC pill is not as good and is also sometimes hard to swallow.

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

[quote="Josh]

Will you be there Adam?[/quote]
Be where?
I'll vote but I won't be working the polls or anything.

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:15 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Drug-Friendly Netherlands to Close 8 Prisons -- Not Enough Crime

For years prohibitionists, including our own Drug Enforcement Administration, have claimed — falsely — that the tolerant marijuana policies of the Netherlands have made that nation a nest of crime and drug abuse. They may have trouble wrapping their little brains around this:

The Dutch government is getting ready to close eight prisons because they don’t have enough criminals to fill them. Officials attribute the shortage of prisoners to a declining crime rate.

Just for fun, let’s compare the Netherlands to California. With a population of 16.6 million, the Dutch prison population is about 12,000. With its population of 36.7 million, California should have a bit more than double the Dutch prison population. California’s actual prison population is 171,000.

So, whose drug policies are keeping the streets safer?
Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:43 am 
Crowfeeder
F L I N T O I D

Causality or Synchronicity ? The Social structure of California and the Netherlands couldn't be more dissimilar.
I would favor the decriminalization of marijauna as well as the death penalty for major heroin and cocaine traffickers.Again these drugs couldn't be more dissimilar,pharmaceuticaly or in effect.
Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:05 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Crowfeeder schreef:
Causality or Synchronicity ? The Social structure of California and the Netherlands couldn't be more dissimilar.
I would favor the decriminalization of marijauna as well as the death penalty for major heroin and cocaine traffickers.Again these drugs couldn't be more dissimilar,pharmaceuticaly or in effect.

The drug war is a miserable failure. What's really dumb is in the USSA marijuana is generally illegal but we elect former potheads to rule our nation. lol
Post Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:55 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: