FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Police and Crime rates
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint crime doubled as size of police force was cut in half, analysis shows

David Harris | dharris5@mlive.com By David Harris | dharris5@mlive.com
on August 25, 2013 at 7:00 AM, updated August 25, 2013 at 7:02 AM

FLINT MI – Ten years ago, the Flint Police Department had enough personnel to fill a mid-size theater at Rave move theaters; by 2011, its staff couldn't fill even the smallest.

The Flint police department has shrunk nearly 50 percent since 2003, according to an analysis by MLive Media Group. In the same time, crime went up nearly 50 percent.

Back in 2003, the city's police department boasted 242 officers. By 2011, there were 122. Violent crime, as has been well documented, also skyrocketed, nearly doubling from 12.2 violent crimes per 1,000 people in 2003 to 23.4 in 2011.

Flint bucks a statewide trend that saw an overall decrease in crime despite a reduction in officers, the MLive analysis showed.

Statewide, nearly one in 10 full-time officers were lost in the past 10 years – 1,870 in all. The state's overall population fell less than 2 percent.

But crime rates across Michigan dropped even further. From 2003 to 2011, the last year statewide figures are available from the FBI, serious violent and property crimes dropped 22 percent.

Flint police officer Kevin Smith, president of the police officer's union, said the rise in violent crime and decline in police presence is not just a coincidence .

"When you got more officers, they get to know their neighborhood," said Smith. "They know who the good guys and bad guys are if they are policing it on a consistent basis."

Now, officers are just responding to call after call, he said. A new initiative is supposed to keep officers in one of four areas of the city, but there are so many calls for service that officers are often leaving the area to go to calls in other parts of the city, said Smith. The idea is to keep officers in one area of the city so they get to know the people in the area, but it hasn't worked that way, Smith said.

Consider this: In 2003, there were 28 homicides, while in 2011 there were 52, even as the city population dropped 20,000. The city reached the 2003 mark for homicides by June 2011. The city then wasn't constantly topping the most violent city in the nation list, as it has from 2010-12.

State and federal law enforcement have jumped in to do what they can to help. There are 26 troopers and eight detectives working in the city, and 10 more will be coming at a later time, according to the commander of the Michigan State Police Flint post. The ATF had a surge of extra agents in the summer of 2012 that netted guns and drug seizures.

The U.S. Attorney's Office is prosecuting felons in possession of guns and just recently started to handle armed robbery of businesses cases because prison sentences are longer in federal court.

Smith said the last time police were on top of criminal activity was 2008, when there were 229 city officers.

"We still had crime, but not to this magnitude," he said.

Jamal Williams, 30, has been a victim of crime. He said he was robbed at gunpoint a couple years ago.

"It was violent, it was scary," said Williams. "Having a gun next to your head, it's crazy."

For the crime rate to improve, he said, the economy needs to get better and there needs to be more jobs. According to the Bureau of Labor statistics, Flint had a 10.1 percent unemployment rate in June while the rate for the state was 8.8 in July. Williams said he sees all type of crime where he lives, on the city's north side.

"Everything," he said. "You name it."

Flint Mayor Dayne Walling blames the economy more than the reduction of officers. He said Flint has been hit harder than other areas of the state in the last decade.

"The economic effects of two recessions on the city have created an environment where crime has been hard to control," said Walling.

Walling said there needs to be more job training, youth violence prevention programs and after-school activities. While there are some, they haven't reached the scope needed, he said.

"The existing programs are making a difference, but there is a large number of youth that are not being reached," Walling said.

Walling said a return to 2003 staffing levels is not an answer.

"It would be an expensive mistake to assume that the longstanding public safety challenge in Flint can be solved with only additional personnel," he said.

The police millage that passed in November – 6 mills over five years that would raise $5.3 million in the first year – helps balance the police department staffing levels as grants expire, and officials said 10 new officers would be hired.

Kathy Edgar, 65, has lived in Flint for 42 years and the city around her has changed drastically, she said. The crime, she said, is "awful."

A lack of police officers and respect among youth are to blame, she said.

"I don't know what these young kids are doing," she said. "They are doing stupid things. I didn't get this old by being stupid."
Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:08 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Couldn't have anything to do with the emboldened subculture who have no respect for anything or anyone. All the cops in the world cant change that.

Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:24 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The year 2003 was after Flint recalled Mayor Stanley and major deficits in the city budget were announced.

Former Cost Center Managers told me the citizens and council never knew how much over budget University Park was.

* issues with contaminated soil and illegal removal of that soil
* higher than anticipated costs of infrastructure

Money was taken from water and sewer to pay or sidewalks in neighborhoods. A cost center manager said he went to the office to find out where $400,000 went from his budget only to hear a staff person tell his boss she found his $400,000 sidewalk money. No longer a need to inquire, so he left.

The economy tanked and unemployment skyrocketed. Federal funds were not being spent wisely. HUD expects nonprofits to be able to leverage money and not be totally dependent upon federal monies. Federal money cannot be used for every expenditure of a nonprofit. MSHDA and Michael Freeman of LISC were both excellent at leveraging funding efforts for projects. Instead nonprofits try to use only federal money and costs get disallowed. Since the city is responsible for monitoring , the city pays back the money or negotiates.
Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:41 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
twotap schreef:
Couldn't have anything to do with the emboldened subculture who have no respect for anything or anyone. All the cops in the world cant change that.

I really wish you and others would stop with the racist "subculture" and "troglodyte" references to the African American residents of Flint.

While more secretive and not as overt as the blatant "Jim Crow" racism, this Laissez Faire racism is still based on the premise that blacks are culturally inferior to other races. It holds that blacks alone are responsible for the issues in their neighborhoods and the white race can now point to them deny any culpability.

Thus the whites are not racist because they are not responsible for the problems that exist in the black community.

This position overlooks the issues that Andrew Highsmith raised. ( I have an entire thread devoted to Highsmith and links to his works) Highsmith discussed the hypersegregation and the roles the FHA and other agencies, both federal and local, played in this segregation. The federal government starting with the Federal Housing Act of 1934 began funneling money away from urban areas and began the creation of the white suburbs. The racist policies created by the FHA land surveys denied funding to inner city and minority neighborhoods.

Charles Stewart Mott and several developers were implicit in creating deed covenants forbidding the sale of property to minorities. The impact of urban renewal in Flint and the creation of the expressway system displaced huge number of minorities and demolished large numbers of urban housing where minorities lived.

It also heralded the creation of Flint's Public Housing or warehousing as displaced residents in the first wave of demolition rarely received adequate compensation with which to purchase another home. Those who moved later fared much better.

Then real estate agents encouraged white homeowners to move as some blacks moved into previously segregated neighborhoods. Now with the policies allowed by HUD to provide huge subsidies for homes built by the city and renovated by the Land Bank and Salem Housing, real estate agents are warning black homeowners to move and take what they can get for their homes. Existing homes cannot be sold for a fraction of their value as they can't meet their new artificially high standards created by these renovations and new homes.

Rumor is that at some point homes will be built and modified for hospital and other city workers.

Everyone in America admired the Community Education model in Flint. Highsmith discusses the inequity of the program and the blatant attempts to segregate Flint Schools. Community education programs ended when some schools became overwhelmingly minority.
Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:38 am 
Raymond Sist
F L I N T O I D

Back to the police numbers for a moment, based on some posts here, there are plenty of officers for certain areas of the city. I get the impression that some areas of the city are deliberately ignored by the powers that be in order to force the "undesirables" out. Undesirables being low income, nothing to do with skin color.
Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:19 am 
Raymond Sist
F L I N T O I D

Back to the discussion previously commented on bt Mr. Webs......

According to the Media, President Obama and the slick-haired Al Sharpton, we white devils are supposed to feel very sorry for the plight of the black teen.

I believe Americans, by and large, do have sympathy for any person or group who’ve had life deal them a bad hand.

However, young black thugs, you’ve got to work with us a little bit because you’re kind of operating against the storyline the aforementioned are singing about y’all, and thus, making it difficult for us to soulfully commiserate.

Of what, pray tell, do I speak?

Well, homeslice, it goes something like this: For us to give a crap about your below-par existence we’d like to hear less and less about…

- Your ghastly grades in school

- Your ridiculous dropout rates

- Your colossal out of wedlock birthrates

- Your embracing of a musical culture that celebrates the shooting of cops and doing filthy, vile things to someone’s daughter

- Your love affair with drugs and alcohol

- Your #hatethem tweets aimed at white people

- Your flash mobbing and robbing places and people

- Your audacity to blame everybody and their dog for your odious behavior

- And your ginormous, misplaced racial chip on your shoulder

Yes, if you could/would chill on some of that stuff, well … That’d be great. That would make us crackers think, “Hey, maybe you’re serious about getting out of the ditch you’re in.”

Another difficult thing that makes it hard for us to believe you’re just poor, helpless victims of the machine is when a couple of teens from your crew gun down an innocent, twenty-two-year-old, white, Aussie student just to spice up the inherent boredom which accompanies the dog-days of summer. That act of uncut evil helps us not. Yep, that heinous stunt really makes all this “poor you” crap fly right out our windows.

And lastly, and I hate to be negative, but there was one more incident perpetrated by two black teens this week that also unraveled the sweet story Sharpton and the President would have us believe. It was the beating death of an eighty-eight-year-old, WWII vet in Spokane, Washington. That demonic deed, coupled with the murder of Chris Lane this week, makes it impossible for anyone with a brain to feel anything towards your personal dilemma except, “Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.”

Yes, the brutal murder of someone’s grandpa and the senseless slaying of someone’s son by black thugs this past week do nothing but reinforce what the FBI National Crime Victimization Survey concluded, namely, that young black males are seven times more likely to commit murder than people of other races.

So, young black thugs, if you’d like us to empathize, trust and help you with a hand-up, howzabout cease and desist with the inhumane behavior, huh? Until then, we’ll be suspicious of young black teens, traveling in groups, taking an unusual interest in our person, especially if they’re dressed like gangbangers and are acting suspiciously.

Call us weird.

Article by Doug Giles on Townhall.com
Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:37 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Who raises African American thugs?? why African Americans of course who in Flints N end act like a subculture a term by the way I intend to keep using until someone proves me wrong.

Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:57 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Suburban Genesee County crime increases as police forces dwindle

David Harris | dharris5@mlive.com By David Harris | dharris5@mlive.com
on August 25, 2013 at 7:30 AM, updated August 25, 2013 at 3:53 PM

GENESEE COUNTY, MI – Much like Flint, crime in many communities outside the city saw violent crime rise as their police forces shrank from 2003 to 2011.
According to FBI statistics, suburban police staffing overall fell by 16 percent while crime increased nearly 7 percent. Not every community had crime increase – Fenton, Davison and Grand Blanc Township, for instance, saw criminal activity go down, statistics show.

Statewide, on the other hand, an Mlive investigation shows that even as communities bemoan the loss of sworn officers in the past decade, serious crimes continued to drop.

Genesee County communities that saw crime increases included Flint Township, Burton and Mt. Morris Township.

Flint Township crime rose 44 percent, going from 316 violent crimes in 2011 compared to 187 in 2003. Its police force declined 20 percent, with 33 officers in 2012, statistics show.

Flint Township Police Chief George Sippert said the economy plays a part, and causes people to commit crimes out of desperation. Robberies and burglaries are good examples. Robberies went from 65 in 2003 to 114 in 2011. Burglaries increased from 414 in 2003 to 525 in 2011, statistics show.
Sippert said his officers try to be more proactive, such as making stops for traffic violations.

"We encourage officers to look for stolen guns or outstanding warrants" during traffic stops, said Sippert.

Flint Township officers also spend more time out on the road by using a voice recorder for their police reports and having civilians type them up. But even with the proactive policing, there's no getting around having fewer people do more work, he said.

"(Residents) are not getting the same level of service," Sippert said.

Grand Blanc Township has seen a decrease in violent crime of about 5 percent while its force decreased by about 7 percent to 39 officers.

Chief David Stamm credits "high visibility enforcement" and traffic stops.

"Oftentimes, when you ignore minor crimes, it can turn into something larger," he said.

Burton's crime also went up more than 30 percent while its force declined about 20 percent to 30 officers.

Chief Tom Oosterholzer said staffing is so low that there are sometimes as few as three officers patrolling the city. City residents will be asked to vote in November on a 6.5-mill, 20-year tax levy for police.

The Burton Police Department streamlined the paperwork for officers by having in-car police report writing and having stores handle retail frauds.

"We don't want to tread water," said Oosterholzer. "We want to swim to shore and get ahead of the problem."
Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:46 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Doug Giles is race-baiting conservative commentator that emulates Rush Limbaugh and the others on FOX news. He calls himself the Big Dawg, like the Dawg life gang bangers, at Clash daily. Clash because he figures that s where the money is.

He is college educated, but he uses that folksy style semi-illiterate way of communicating so that he doesn't overshadow his backwards audience.

"What you are speaks so loudly, I can't hear what you are saying". Ashleigh Brilliant

Anytime you label an entire race or an entire community as thugs , then you are exactly as I called it-racists.
Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:01 pm 
Raymond Sist
F L I N T O I D

As opposed to race baiting liberal commentators?
Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:09 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

OK webs lets see some examples of Rush being racist. He's Factual for sure which in the minds of libs is racist but speaking the truth is what's needed now days. By the way I never labeled the whole black community as thugs just those who repeatedly turn new ones loose into society which pretty much covers Flints North end I mean the punks are coming from somewhere.

http://www.mrconservative.com/2013/08/23398-three-black-kids-brutally-bully-white-3-year-old-making-her-cry-on-camera/

Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:22 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Rush Limbaugh Confronted On the Air

www.scoobievslimbaugh.blogspot.com

My Conversation With Rush Limbaugh by Scoobie Davis ... I've had a lot of hits for keyword searches for "limbaugh racist quotes." ... pathological liar-- RUSH…

Limbaugh Makes Racist Suggestion About New Orleans | Crooks and Liars

crooksandliars.com › Blogs › Susie Madrak's blog

Talking about showing his true colors! Does Rush have any advertisers left? Because I have to wonder if they want their products associated with this racist ...

Videos of crush limbaugh racist liar

bing.com/videos

Rush Limbaugh Is A Racist

VideoSift

0:32

RUSH LIMBAUGH ELECTION PRE…

YouTube

DAVID FRUM AND MICHAEL …

YouTube

2:09

Bill Maher Calls Rush Limbaugh a ‘Racist & a Misogynist ...

www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/11/14/bill-maher-calls-rush-limbaugh...

The comments about Limbaugh ... I’m shocked that your chicken sandwich statement didn’t crush ... have been a RACIST & MISOGYNIST- and that HYPOCRITE, LIAR
Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:10 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

International Business Times

Rush Limbaugh's Long History of Sexism, Racism Discounts Sandra Fluke Apology

By Ashley Portero
on March 05 2012 4:39 PM

If Rush Limbaugh hasn't already offended enough young women across America, today's comment might just do it. On this morning's show, the controversial radio host made another insulting inference aimed at the female population.

Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh has faced an onslaught of potentially career-threatening criticism following a series of crass statements he made about Sandra Fluke, a Georgetown University law student who has been pushing the Catholic-affiliated university to include birth control coverage in its health insurance plan.

As of Monday afternoon, nine advertisers had revoked their sponsorship of The Rush Limbaugh Show after he made a series of misogynistic remarks about Fluke for testifying in a Democrat-led congressional hearing in support of a mandate in President Barack Obama's health care overhaul that requires employers to include contraception coverage in company health plans. Limbaugh, while attacking the mandate, called Fluke a slut and a prostitute, and said she wanted to be paid for having sex before crudely observing that she must be having so much sex he was surprised she can even walk.

After initially defending his comments, Rush Limbaugh issued what many have derided as a half-hearted apology on his Web site. After spending three days attacking Fluke, Limbaugh insisted his comments were not meant to be taken as a personal attack, but was instead commentary on how it is absolutely absurd that during these very serious political times, we are discussing personal sexual recreational activities before members of Congress.

On Monday Limbaugh, responding to critics, insisted his apology was sincere. However, considering his extensive history of unabashedly sexist and even racist comments about individuals he disagrees with, it's safe to say that Limbaugh is only sorry about one thing: the fact that, this time, the fallout may affect his wallet.

The following is a compilation of Limbaugh comments that illustrate a clearer picture of how sorry the shock-jock really is -- and of how surprising it is that advertisers weren't abandoning ship years ago.

Limbaugh on Women

On feminism, Feb. 2010. Oh, I'm a huge supporter of women. What I'm not a supporter of is liberalism. Feminism is what I oppose and feminism had led women astray. I love women. I don't know where all this got started. I love the women's movement, especially when walking behind it.

Pondering why less than 40 percent of women had a favorable opinion of him, Feb. 2009. I want some of these women to start telling me what it is I must do to close the gender gap or, if not, what it is I must do to close the gender gap, what it is I've done that has caused the gender gap; assuming the gender gap is true and that the poll is true ... I own the men, and what must I do now to own women?

Why women support Hillary Clinton, April 2008. You have to understand the mindset of a lot of these feminists and women... these women have paid their dues. They've been married two or three times; they've had two or three abortions; they've done everything that feminsim can ask them to do.

On why he's proud to be a male chauvinist, April 2004. We're not sexists, we're chavinists -- we're male chauvinist pigs and we're happy to be because we think that's what men were destined to be. We think that's what women want.

On his pet name for the National Organization for Women (NOW): The National Association of Gals (NAG.) Limbaugh then claimed the organization is run by militant feminists who need to realize they aren't determining who wins elections. White men are.

Limbaugh on Race

Explaining why Michelle Obama was booed by NASCAR fans, Sept. 2011. The NASCAR crowd doesn't quite understand why when the husband and the wife are going to the same place, the first lady has to take her own Boeing 757 with family and kids and hangers-on four hours earlier than her husband, who will be on his 747. NASCAR people understand that's a little bit of a waste. They understand it's a little bit of uppity-ism.

Justifying Racism, Sept. 2009. If homosexuality being inborn is what makes it acceptable, why does racism being inborn not make racism acceptable? I'm sorry -- I mean, this is the way my mind works. But apparently now we don't choose racism, we just are racists. We are born that way. We don't choose it.

On the NFL, Jan. 2007. Look, let me put it to you this way: the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and Crips without any weapons. There, I said it.

On Hurricane Katrina, September 2005. I mean, why didn't these morons leave New Orleans before the hurricane? I'll tell you why because they wanted to rape and loot! That's just the way some people are! And if they're black -- the rapists and looters are black -- it's not George Bush's fault! We've had these problems ever since the Emancipation Proclamation. Once the whites leave town all you've got is overwhelming lawlessness.

On Spike Lee's suggestion that black schoolchildren take a day off from school to see his film Malcom X, 1992. Spike, if you're going to do that, let's complete the education experience. You should tell them that they should loot the theater and then blow it up on their way out.
Post Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:20 pm 
Raymond Sist
F L I N T O I D

By now, everyone should be aware that webs considers anyone who does not think the way he does to be a racist.
Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:46 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Webs aint a he she's a she who was once part of that corrupt incompetent outfit known as the Flint city council. And yes like all libs anytime anyone dares point out the facts about crime and who's committing it at a disproportionate rate to their population like Rush did they are deemed racist. Too friggin bad like they say the truth hurts but its still the truth.

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:52 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: