FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Where have all the Skinheads gone?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Dave.. find out from Sally just who all those folks are that are supposidly questioning your integrity. Im guessing its just her and I would wear that as a badge of honor. Remember when you piss off a lib you know you are doing something right. Laughing

Post Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:56 pm 
pan8
F L I N T O I D

@ Dave Star. You said it so eloquently, thank you. And where would we be now if the original Thirteen Colonies looked to government to provide for them. Why I do believe we would all be subjects of the crown. Rolling Eyes

Pan8
Post Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:10 pm 
ConcernedCitizen
F L I N T O I D

I just posted for the first time in many months due to the BS being spouted under the topic “one more”. I thought I was done, but after reading this post, I don’t know where to begin. I believe Dave Starr and Pan8 made very good points.

Webs, why are you posting articles from 2007? That is half a decade old! Quit living in the past. Come into the problems of the present. Yes there are hate groups, both black and white. Do I condone any of them, absolutely not. But as long as they are not doing anything illegal, they are protected by our laws. This is a hard concept for some people to grasp. Unlike you, I will not say it is a particular group that has that problem.

I am an independent. I vote for whom I believe is the best candidate-Democrat, Republican, Independent, etc. When you, Colin Powell, or anybody else makes a broad categorization about people, that just shows they are bigots. Bigots categorize people. Racism is just a form of bigotry.

Webs, you stated:

“Is this the real reason the NRA and the Republicans want to keep their assault weapons and no gun checks at gun shows? They train as militia and want to be able to shoot more of their supposed enemies faster and more efficiently. Look at the Trayvon martin case where the skinhead groups hold military style training camps.”

Once again, you made broad categorizations (BIGOTRY). (By the way, I corrected your misspelled words and grammatical errors.) But you did bring out a good point for keeping guns in the hands of citizens. And let me state that I do not own a gun and have no intention to buy one. But I do support our rights to bear arms. And it is not for the purpose of hunting and fishing. Back when this was written, hunting and fishing was a way of life for most people if they wanted to eat. It was a concept back in Europe that was started long before our ancestors came to form our country. It was a precaution in the event that the government became oppressive. That was clearly stated by Thomas Jefferson. That’s a problem I never thought possible in the US until recently.

You make it sound like the neo-Nazis, Skinheads and other hate groups are going to take over the country with their military training. These hate groups are a very small percentage of the population. But I believe that you just gave another reason why the citizens should have guns, in case the hate groups launch a revolt. We could fight off the radical hate groups. Without guns, we would be at their mercy.

Webs, you brought up more than once that the Republican Party wants Obama out because he is black. Once again, it’s another broad categorization. But our society is full of this type of racism. During the past two Presidential elections, I heard many of my brothers and sisters complain that whites were not voting for Obama because he was black. I told them that was terrible. But then I asked them why they were voting for Obama. The most popular reason was because he was black. Many of them could not even tell me what Obama’s platform was. How can we blame whites for not voting for a black man when we are voting for him for the same reason? That makes those individuals hypocrites.

Webs, with all the problems in Flint, I would think skinheads would be low on the list. Gangs have killed more people in Flint than Skinheads. We have much bigger issues like the economy, corrupt government, crime, etc. It just seems that you are trying to stir up trouble.

Thomas Jefferson
Post Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:42 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Hate groups, even black hate groups, are on the rise in the United States. There is not a news outlet in the nation that does not cover the rise of discontent in our nation. The decline in financial resources, the rise in unemployment, the failure of our urban public schools all contribute to the conditions that generate these race hatreds.

Whenever a racial issue arises the militias and skinhead groups move in. We only have to look at Florida and the Trayvon Martin issue. Corruption in our government and the police agencies are creating dangerous situations in Flint. The conditions are ripening for social unrest stronger than the Occupy groups that camped out last year.

To ignore what is going on in the world and the riots of other countries over similar economic conditions is fool hardy. Just because this country has not seen high levels of social unrest in recent years does not mean it will not happen. Right now tens of thousands are marching, albeit peacefully, on Lansing and Detroit to speak out against injustice. That does not mean these marches will always be peaceful or that the administration will not continue to lash out at peaceful protest.
Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:34 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

It's a 2 way street.

The important part is bolded.

Judge to rule on insanity verdict in Midtown shooting trial

By Marcus K. Garner

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A Fulton County judge will rule Thursday on whether to give the jury a third verdict option in the trial of a former Midtown security guard accused in a deadly 2011 shooting spree in Midtown.

Superior Court Judge Kelly A. Lee will hear from experts who evaluated Nkosi Thandiwe Wednesday night to determine if his mental state during the shooting spree was so disturbed that a jury could find him “not guilty by reason of insanity.”

Thandiwe’s attorney made the last-minute request Wednesday after his client testified, admitting to fatally shooting Brittney Watts amid a trance-like state.

Also on Thursday, Lee dismissed a juror who spoke with a television news crew on Wednesday, claiming he wasn’t honest about what happened.

“Based on your contact yesterday, and my concerns with your lack of forthrightness, I am dismissing you,” Lee said. “Please don’t disrupt this process any more than you already have.”

“It was almost like watching myself in action,” Thandiwe told a Fulton County jury on the second day of his murder trial. “I tell her to get out of (her) car. She screams. I fire. She drops to the ground.”

Thandiwe, 23, also confessed from the witness stand that he shot two other women that day – Tiffany Ferenczy and Lauren Garcia, who is now paralyzed from her injuries – before driving off in Watts’ car.

“My mind was blank at the time,” he said.

Prosecutors protested the redirection by Thandiwe’s attorney, Fulton public defender Wes Bryant. The tactic came just before the closing arguments were to begin.

“This court gave the defense (attorneys) plenty of opportunity to present this defense,” Fulton County Assistant District Attorney Linda Dunikoski complained to Lee. “We feel this is trial by ambush.”

Previous lawyers representing Thandiwe had him evaluated for mental fitness to stand trial but were unable to secure funding from the court or from the Fulton district attorney’s office for a mental health professional to interview the defendant and testify on his behalf about his mental state.

Dunikoski cited legal precedent when she argued that “evidence that a defendant does not remember or blacked out is insufficient to raise insanity” questions.

Typically, a defense attorney must notify the court during pretrial hearings of an intent to bring an insanity or mental illness defense.

But UGA endowed law Professor Ronald Carlson, reached by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution via email during the hearing, said Lee had two reasons to allow the change.

First, a judge can find “good cause” to permit the defendant to discuss the fact that he was out of his mind at the time of the crime.

Or, Carlson said, noting the more probable reason based on the facts of the case, courts are often more lenient in allowing proof of a disturbed mental state when it comes from the accused testifying as a witness, and the proof is not aimed at winning the trial outright on an insanity plea, but rather to reduce the offense.

“He told the jury he was not in his right mind,” Carlon said of Thandiwe. “… in essence that he was in the grip of temporary insanity.”

During his testimony Wednesday, Thandiwe suggested that his reason for even purchasing the gun he used in the shootings was to enforce beliefs he’d developed about white people during his later years as an anthropology major at the University of West Georgia.

“I was trying to prove a point that Europeans had colonized the world, and as a result of that, we see a lot of evil today,” he said. “In terms of slavery, it was something that needed to be answered for. I was trying to spread the message of making white people mend.”

He said the night before the shooting, he attended a so-called “Peace Party” intended to address his concerns about helping the black community find equal footing, but two white people were there.

“I was upset,” Thandiwe said. “I was still upset Friday. I took the gun to work because I was still upset from Thursday night.”

He even admitted to earlier that day getting angry enough on the job to shoot his supervisor.

“What my boss said to me …,” he told the jury, “that rage almost made me pull out my gun on him.”

A collective groan went up from the victims’ family members when Lee announced early Wednesday afternoon that she would allow a mental health expert to examine Thandiwe overnight and testify the next day as to whether there was sufficient evidence to add an insanity verdict to the jurors’ choices.

She dismissed the jury early, first singling out two jurors who stopped at a TV news truck during lunch to ask what the station was covering at the courthouse.

The Channel 2 Action News reporter (whose employer is owned by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s parent company) told Lee in court that one of the jurors tried to pronounce Thandiwe’s name to describe to which jury he was seated.

“You understand that you are not to talk to anybody about the case,” Lee stressed to each of them, after dismissing the rest of the jurors.

At Bryant’s request, Lee said a determination would be made Thursday morning about whether she should take any action against either wayward juror.

Proceedings will resume Thursday at 9 a.m.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:36 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
pan8
F L I N T O I D

Webs, you are assuming we are racist, using your logic then am I to assume you feel Bill Crosby is also a racist? your assumption that we are racist is unfounded and if you were to read our posts with an open mind you will see that our angst is directed toward this president and his politics of destruction and dependency. This president goes against everything our country was founded upon and can be summed up in the word or words of freedom and self sufficiency. I do not want the government acting as a surrogate parent to me. I grew up in Detroit during the '50s and learn from a young age from 2 parents that I must strive to be self sufficient and I must work and that I would be held responsible and accountable for my choices and the decisions I make. Today people believe they are victims and are owed. Turn on your television and every 5 minutes a lawyer tells you so and the gullible believe it. But then again if Jessie Jackson and Rev. Al were my heroes possibly I might feel the same. Webs, grow up, become an indepent thinker, and put your bigotry aside. God gave you a brain to use not to follow the ignorant poverty pimps that lead your herd around by the nose.

Pan8
P.S. You are posting from the 2007s? Oh, I understand now. George Bush is at fault! Please Webs get an orginal thought.
Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:01 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Racism on the rise among Americans, even though some don’t realize it
By Capitol Hill Blue
October 27, 2012
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A standard mantra from those who want President Barack Obama out of office states that the reasons are policy-driven, not racially-motivated.

But a new Associated Press polls suggests racism is still strong in America and attitudes towards blacks have not improved since the nation elected Obama.

According to the poll, a slight majority of Americans “express prejudice toward blacks” even though some don’t acknowledge their inherent racism.

In fact, racial prejudice in America has increased since 2008 and much of that prejudice is directed towards the man the nation sent to White House four years ago.

The AP used a survey that measures “explicit anti-black attitudes” and found that 51 percent of Americans now harbor such racism. That’s a three point rise in the last four years.

When an “implicit racial attitudes” test is applied, the jump is more dramatic, from 29 percent in 2008 to 56 percent now.

“Having a black President has triggered the inherent racism that lies just below the surface with too many Americans,” psychologist Derek Ingram tells Capitol Hill Blue. “Unfortunately, too much of such bigotry is fueled by the intolerant rhetoric of the right wing in the nation.

Jelani Cobb, professor of history and director of the Institute for African-American studies at the University of Connecticut, told the AP:

We have this false idea that there is uniformity in progress and that things change in one big step. That is not the way history has worked. When we’ve seen progress, we’ve also seen backlash.

Adds Fredrick Harris, director of the Institute for Research in African-American Studies at Columbia University:

Part of it is growing polarization within American society. The last Democrat in the White House said we had to have a national discussion about race. There’s been total silence around issues of race with this president. But, as you see, whether there is silence, or an elevation of the discussion of race, you still have polarization. It will take more generations, I suspect, before we eliminate these deep feelings.

The poll also found an increase in prejudice against Hispanics, rising from 52 percent to 57 percent in just the last year.

Related articles
AP poll: Majority of Americans harbor prejudice against blacks
Does racism drive anger over Obama?
Former Colin Powell Chief Of Staff: Republicans “Full Of Racists”
Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:57 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

In 2012, racism's tenacious hold on U.S.

By Donna Brazile, CNN Contributor

updated 7:24 PM EDT, Thu November 1, 2012

Donna Brazile says two studies showing a rise in anti-black, anti-Hispanic attitudes in the U.S. reveal a nation that is far from post-racial.

Editor's note: Donna Brazile, a CNN contributor and a Democratic strategist, is vice chairwoman for voter registration and participation at the Democratic National Committee. She is a nationally syndicated columnist, an adjunct professor at Georgetown University and author of "Cooking With Grease." She was manager for the Gore-Lieberman presidential campaign in 2000.

(CNN) -- "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

I was not yet four years old when Dr. Martin Luther King spoke those words on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. But in a way I have lived my life as if I were one of those children. For more than 40 years I have fought to make this country a place where those words would be true for all of us, where all Americans can be Dr. King's spiritual grandchildren.

I am not naïve enough to think that with the election of Barack Obama racism has disappeared from America. In fact, according to a new AP Poll, racism has increased since 2008.

According to the poll, "51% of Americans now express explicit anti-black attitudes, compared with 48% in a similar 2008 survey." The three percentage point rise is not large, and within the poll's margin of error. But, at the very least, it indicates we have not reached the post-racial world that some hoped Obama's election would usher in. And the prejudice isn't limited to blacks: 52% openly express anti-Hispanic sentiments.

The numbers go up when measured by an implicit racial attitudes test. That is, when the survey takes into account the "dog-whistles," the new buzz word for code language only those "tuned in" will hear, anti-black sentiment is 56% and anti-Hispanic sentiment is 57%.

This racism has consequences. Alan Jenkins, an assistant solicitor general during the Clinton administration and now executive director of the Opportunity Agenda think tank, told the AP that negative racial attitudes affect "the way people are treated by police, the way kids are treated by teachers, the way home-seekers are treated by landlords and real estate agents."

The racial divide increasingly reflects the generation gap. According to the ninth annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day report, published by the Boston-based group, United for a Fair Economy, "Increasingly elderly Americans do not identify with young Americans who are far more racially and ethnically diverse, leading to reductions in future-oriented public investments."

The report notes that almost half of Americans under 18 are minorities and 80% of retirees are white. By 2030, the majority of those under 18 will be people of color, and by 2042 nonwhites will be the majority of the population.

And as has become obvious in this campaign, the racial and generational divide is driven by the economic divide.

In simple terms, the older white population has accumulated more of the wealth. The key political question is how they relate to and interact with a younger, more diverse -- and yes, more tolerant -- demographic.

This may explain John Sununu's recent comment. Explain, but not excuse.

In an interview with CNN's Piers Morgan, former New Hampshire Gov. Sununu said, when asked about Gen. Colin Powell's endorsement of Barack Obama, "You have to wonder whether that's an endorsement based on issues or that he's got a slightly different reason for supporting President Obama...I think that when you have somebody of your own race that you're proud of being president of the United States, I applaud Colin for standing with him."

The wording is a well-constructed dog-whistle. It's also tone-deaf. What's meant to deflect criticism -- "somebody of your own race that you're proud of ... I applaud Colin" -- sends a different signal: condescending and contemptuous.

Just how condescending and contemptuous is easy to see if we reverse it: Sununu is endorsing former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney not because of policies or philosophy, but because both are old, rich and white.

Either formulation should make us very uncomfortable.

In fact, Powell gave cogent, powerful reasons for his endorsement. He noted the difficulty of the recession, the job losses, the fiscal implosion, the unemployment and auto industry collapse. He said that he'd seen "stabilization ... in the financial community, housing ... starting to pick up ... consumer confidence rising."

On foreign affairs, Powell said President Obama has gotten us out of one war, started to get us out of a second and that the president's actions "with respect to protecting us from terrorism have been very, very solid."

Powell also explained why he was not endorsing Romney: "The governor was saying things at the debate on [foreign affairs] that were quite different from what he said earlier ... As I listen to what his proposals are ... with respect to the economy, it's essentially let's cut taxes and compensate for that with other things."

Those responding to Sununu's racist dog-whistle miss a critical point: each of us has a history -- be it racial, ethnic, religious -- that is a source of pride and sorrow. Our heritage helps shape our identity. But neither history nor heritage defines an individual's character. Only the individual's actions can do that.

In human terms, what-you-see-is-what-you-get refers not to something superficial or external, but to what a person does, for character is expressed in action. Are we honest; are we just; are we compassionate? Where are our acts of goodness and kindness?

What a shame that some who would lead, whether in politics or the media, still pretend otherwise.

Powell argued about character; Sununu insinuated about race.

And Dr. King's dream is still not yet a reality.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Donna Brazile.
Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:07 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Any studies of blacks expressing anti-white attitudes? I know you have run into this, webs.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Jeez so some whites have a negative attitude towards blacks. Hmmm could it be the way out of proportion to their population violent crime they cause.

The data
The data reveal two causes of white victimization by blacks. First, a black is 3 times more likely than a white to commit violent crime. However, as a neighborhood turns black, this factor could increase black-on-white violence at most by a factor of 3, and then only when a neighborhood is virtually all black. The observed level of white victimization is much too high to blame on general tendencies of blacks to be violent. A more important reason is simply that blacks prefer white victims.

The best and most complete evidence comes from the Justice Department. Its annual National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) canvasses a representative sample of about 80,000 Americans, from roughly 43,000 households. From this survey, a picture of crime is painted by its victims. The last full report of the NCVS was issued in 1994. From it we learn that blacks committed 1,600,951 violent crimes against whites. In the same year, whites committed 165,345 such offenses against blacks. Despite being only 13 percent of the population, blacks committed more than 90 percent of the violent interracial crime. Less than 15 percent of these had robbery as a motive. The rest were assaults and rapes.

The asymmetry of interracial crime goes still deeper. More than half the violence committed by blacks is directed against whites, 57 percent in 1994. Less than 3 percent of the violence committed by whites is directed against blacks. Population and NCVS statistics reveal that in 1994 a black was 64 times more likely to attack a white than vice versa. In the city, the races live mostly apart from one another, so that the most convenient victims of thugs are others of the same race. Only a hunter's mentality could account for the data. Given a choice, a black thug will select a white victim. Ironically, so will a white thug.

Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:39 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

IT IS THE ECONOMY STUPID AND THE DISTRIBUTION OF WEALTH!

When the economy is good and employment is high then people are more tolerant. The news is filled with racism in the rise in Greece, the Netherlands, France and other european countries because of global economy problems. Ethnic discrimination is occurring in the middle east.

Boy you guys are a trip!. Criticize me over a report from 2007 showing a new racist group forming and then you go back to 1994!

Your article reveals more than you know.
Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:06 pm 
pan8
F L I N T O I D

And Dear Leader took ownership of this failed economy with the $800 B stimulus. The economy is getting worse as the failed policies take root. A blind man can see it, he is destroying this country and his "on the job training" is failing. Hey webs how do you like $ 4 a gallin gas? It was $1.80 under #43.

Pan8
Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:18 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
pan8 schreef:
And Dear Leader took ownership of this failed economy with the $800 B stimulus. The economy is getting worse as the failed policies take root. A blind man can see it, he is destroying this country and his "on the job training" is failing. Hey webs how do you like $ 4 a gallin gas? It was $1.80 under #43.

Pan8

Wrong again. Don't you follow the national news? It was the housing market and the mortgage scams that not only destroyed the American economy but that of Europe after they bough these fraudulent loans through the stock markets. This mess started before Obama took over.

The stimulus has helped, but not as much in Flint as the politicians in Flint and Lansing hijacked the money.

Analysts: Foreclosure Mess Hurts US, Global Economy

Jim Randle

July 06, 2012

WASHINGTON — The U.S. housing sector usually leads the rest of the economy out of recession. But that is happening much more slowly than usual in the wake of the latest downturn. That is because the housing industry is burdened by a huge number of bad loans that have caused a financial, bureaucratic, and economic mess. Problems in the U.S. housing sector are slowing the economic recovery in the world's largest economy, and elsewhere.

Deborah Harris faces possible eviction from the home she has owned for the past 17 years, after failing to make some of her mortgage payments.

Harris was a paramedic with Washington's fire department.

"Here you are about to lose your home. It's nowhere else to go. I don't have any husband, I don't have any children. I've worked 23 years in the Fire Department, saving lives, keeping people alive, and here I am retired, and I don’t have a place to stay. Come on. I mean, that's ridiculous," Harris said.

Harris won awards and promotions for her service on an ambulance, but stopped working after she was hurt carrying a large patient.

It took many months of doctor's exams and filing paperwork to convince officials she was entitled to a pension. During that period without pay, she fell behind on her mortgage.

The financial crisis that started in 2007 brought rising unemployment, falling home values and surging foreclossures.

Foreclosure specialty firm RealtyTrac says foreclosures soared to more than one million a year at the peak of the crisis, from about 200,000 in an average year.

A slightly better economy has cut the foreclosure rate, but it will probably still hit about 700,000 this year.

The chief economist from the National Association of Realtors, Lawrence Yun, says the flood of foreclosures hurts the U.S. economy, which cuts demand for products from other nations and slows global growth.

"Foreclosure is the predominant reason for why the housing market is taking a long time to recover," Yun said. "Historically, the housing market always leads the economy, so when housing market goes down, the economy goes into a recession. When (the) housing market recovers, economy comes out of recession."

Harris says falling into foreclosure has been a nightmare. "If it had not been for God to help me, I know I could have just gotten a stroke and died, because it was just so devastating, knowing, I didn't know when they were going to come and try to get me out of here," she said.

Harris is just one of 4.3 million people who have gone all the way through the foreclosure process since the beginning of the financial crisis. But with help from a community group and a lawyer, she is fighting the foreclosure in court.
Post Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:07 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: