FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Barnett Jones busted by Detroit Free Press
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Although Barnett Jones is our Public safety Administrator, he didn't want to be called super chief, he is no longer heard from. Lock answers press matters. So where is Jones? Is he still shut up in the Mayor's offices and if so what does he do?

Most people know that Jones was given one of the black Police Chargers to drive back and forth from Ann arbor. However that does not explain why it sat in the Hurley Fitness Center parking lot for days all covered in snow. It finally made it's way back to the police station. That doesn't answer why it was left there unattended for days.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:00 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Maybe it ran out of gas & they brought him one with a full tank. Was he driving car 54?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:12 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Your'e the third person that sang "Car 54 where are you?" to me. Is the city so broke it takes days to get a tank of gas?

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:16 pm 
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

Flint Public Safety Administrator Barnett Jones resigns after questioned about second job in Detroit

FLINT, MI -- Flint Public Safety Administrator Barnett Jones resigned today, Jan. 10, after being questioned about a second job working as head of security for the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department, officials said.
Flint emergency financial manager Ed Kurtz said he met with Jones and City Administrator Michael Brown this morning after they were contacted Wednesday by the Detroit Free Press about Jones' second job in Detroit.

"He was working both jobs and had failed to tell us he was working for somebody else. We didn't know he was working for somebody else," Kurtz said. "We met with him this morning and he voluntarily resigned. He was very apologetic."

Kurtz said Jones submitted a one-line, handwritten letter of resignation.

"I don't know what happened, but he's done really good work for us," Kurtz said. "Needless to say, I'm disappointed."

Jones could not immediately be reached for comment this afternoon.

Jones was hired to both jobs in April, according to records online.

In Flint, he made $135,000 -- a sore spot with some in the community because Flint also has a police chief, Alvern Lock, who declined to comment today on Jones' resignation. Jones salary was paid for with a grant from the C.S. Mott Foundation, officials said.

Jones receives another $138,750 from the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department, according to the Free Press report.

Kurtz said he would describe Jones' Flint job as a full-time position as an adviser to the police and fire departments. He said he did great work for the city, especially on the city's public safety plan.

Kurtz said he doesn't expect his office will do a follow-up examination of Jones time in Flint versus his time in Detroit.

"I don't dispute it -- he claims he was putting in 40 hours here and 40 there through multiple shifts and weekends," Kurtz said. "I have nothing to dispute that."
Despite Jones' resignation, a statement issued this afternoon by Kurtz' office said, "Mr. Jones will still have the option of working for the city as a public safety consultant."

Brown clarified that statement this afternoon, saying Jones is one person who could be considered for a consulting position if the city decides to pursue that route.

"Especially if (Chief Lock) comes to us and says he could use assistance here or there then we would consider a consultant option," Brown said. "(Jones) would be an example of someone we could utilize as a consultant."

Kurtz acknowledged that Jones was working for the Detroit water and sewer department while the city of Flint is in negotiations with the department about a potential contract for future drinking water.

He said Jones was not directly involved in any of the water discussions.

"He certainly attended staff meetings where it was discussed generally," Kurtz said. "It might be more of a perceived conflict than an actual conflict."

From the Free Press report:

"Jones acknowledged some people could be skeptical of his ability to do both jobs simultaneously, but said Wednesday he works hard and is committed to making a difference in both Detroit and Flint.
'I can’t say no to people,' he said."
Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:55 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Bossman was sharper than I was today! Thanks Bossman!

In the December 2012 edition of the East Village Magazine, page 5, "Group discusses real estate, web site, grants" there is a discussion about Barnett Jones and Alvern Lock.

"An audience member asked why there were two police chiefs for Flint. Weighill (7th ward councilman) responded that it was because the state did not have confidence in Chief Alvern Locke's abilities. Mike Brown likes Lock but the state hired Barnett Jones, who is the current public safety administrator for the city."

I have been saying foor a long time that the only reason lock is in place is because he and Brown are friends. Obviously the State could have done a better job too and why can't they insist that lock go. This snafu with Pastor Mccathern should indicate his inability to perform his job. And crime continues to rise under Lock.
Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:32 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Comments from M-Live

myobservations

This is outrageous!! Is it indeed possible that hiring Barnett Jones was a political payoff? I hope someone is able to connect the dots and get to the bottom of this! Mr. Jones appears to be a "law man" without character. He should have disclosed his Detroit employment to Flint officials. According to the Free Press, he DID disclose his Flint employment to his Detroit boss, Director Sue McCormick (whom he formerly work with in Ann Arbor) but "she understood it to be on an "as-needed basis, not full-time." Why was this information withheld from FLINT officials? Did Mr. Jones feel they are so clueless they would not have caught on to this duplicity? Was he required to put in a certain amount of hours for his pay?

3 Minutes Ago

D. Little

Jones should be made to repaid the monies he earned! And "really good work?" Flint top the murder rate this year!!!! We need a new city manager, if thats what he considers "really good work!"

28 Minutes Ago

acrosstheoceannow

So basically, Jones ripped off the Mott Foundation for $135,000.00.

Outrageous.

Soon To Be Six Five likes this.

31 Minutes Ago

oracle809

Wow, what a great thing this emergency manager law is! The emergency manager gets to replace the Mayor's entourage of inept cronies that were scamming the City with an even bigger staff of inept cronies that are scamming the City.

Soon To Be Six Five likes this.

47 Minutes Ago

wasit4sure

oracle,
how true. how sad, but how true. This occurs because we also have an inept cronie in charge pulling down $170,000.00/yr. in taxpayer money. I'm speaking of course of Mr. Brown. How soon we forget. This is the same Mike Brown that worked for the city years ago sqaundering valuable resources as their director of community development. And just look where are community is now because of that mismanagement. As my pappy use to say, "it takes one to know one" (uesless crony that is). The more things change in Flint the more they pretty much stay the same.
Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:43 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Detroit Water's security chief Barnett Jones resigns 2nd job in Flint amid questions

12:21 PM, January 10, 2013 |

Barnett Jones, shown April 27, 2006, a longtime lawman in southeast Michigan, was earning $273,750 at the two jobs, which are almost 70 miles apart. He had been working both since May. / KIMBERLY P. MITCHELL/Detroit Free Press

By John Wisely

Detroit Free Press Staff Writer

Flint’s administrator of public safety resigned this morning after the Free Press raised questions about how he could work there while also working as the head of security for the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department.

Barnett Jones, a longtime lawman in southeast Michigan, was earning $273,750 at the two jobs, which are almost 70 miles apart. He had been working both since May.

But after the Free Press made inquiries this week, Jones met today with Flint City Administrator Michael Brown and Emergency Financial Manager Edward Kurtz to offer his resignation, Brown said.

“We didn’t know that he was working at Detroit water and sewer,” Brown said this morning. “We figured that out yesterday when you called. That’s the long and the short of it.”

Jones was paid $135,000 a year by Flint and receives another $138,750 from the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department. His combined public pay topped that of members of Congress, senators, Supreme Court justices and even Vice President Joe Biden.

Jones told the Free Press on Wednesday that he was doing justice to both jobs.

“Absolutely,” Jones said. “There are some days I go to both, some days I go to one. Sometimes I leave out at 8, 9, 10 o’clock at night, Saturdays. I’m a workaholic.”

He didn’t immediately return a call today seeking comment on his resignation.

On April 20, Brown — who was Flint’s emergency manager at the time — approved a three-year contract paying Jones $135,000 “with limited fringe benefits,” according to the resolution. The contract began April 23 and expires April 23, 2015.

On April 25, Detroit Water Department Director Sue McCormick informed the Detroit Board of Water Commissioners that the department had chose Jones as chief security and information officer, adding he would join the team April 30. However, Detroit water officials said Jones wasn’t formerly hired until May 14.

“Barnett Jones comes to us with extensive experience in security, emergency management and a distinguished career in law enforcement, including internal affairs,” McCormick informed water commissioners in a report.

McCormick and Jones worked together in Ann Arbor, where she was administrator of public services and he was director of public safety. McCormick said Jones told her about his work in Flint after joining the water department, but she understood it to be on an “as-needed basis, not full-time.”

“If he’s doing that, you’ve got a gentleman who’s burning the candle at both ends,” McCormick told the Free Press.

McCormick said Jones’ work for the water department has been exemplary.

“He was out patrolling with us on Angel’s Night, he’s made midnight visits to the Port Huron facility to meet with his security officers there,” McCormick said. “I’ve seen no lack of his on-duty performance to the job.”

Brown commended Jones’ work in Flint as well, saying he helped with several projects in a city that saw 66 murders in 2012, giving it one of the highest per-capita murder rates in the country.

“He did a great job for us,” Brown said.

Still, Brown said he was shocked to learn that Jones was working in Detroit’s water department. He said he considered that a conflict because Flint is in contract negotiations with Detroit over water service.

“I was surprised and to be honest, disappointed,” Brown said. “I had been the emergency manager at the time. I would have liked to have known then.”

Brown said city officials had been discussing in recent weeks transitioning Jones into a consultant role, but nothing had been finalized.

“We’ll be open to utilizing him as a consultant,” Brown said.

On Wednesday, Jones described himself as “kind of a consultant up in Flint,” but said he spent at least 40 hours a week on the job there, including nights and weekends.

“I came on board, they gave me a fancy title,” he said. “I help with the public safety plan to make some progress with the emergency manager.”

Jones said he took the job thinking it would be short-term due to the November ballot question concerning emergency managers. For that reason, he said, he thought “maybe I’d go ahead and start with (the water department) so I’d hit the ground running.”

Jones admitted the Flint job lasted longer than he anticipated, despite the three-year contract, and said he wanted to finish hiring some new police officers.

At the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department, Jones oversees the security of the system — a network of facilities, pumps and pipes stretching from Lake Huron to Monroe and as far west as Ypsilanti.

“One of the things there is to oversee the transition of their safety and security to a more professional operation,” Jones said. “The integrity portion, one of the things you do over there, is internal affairs.”

Jones spent 18 years with the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office, rising to the rank of captain before leaving in 2000 to become Sterling Heights police chief. He worked there for six years before being named police chief in Ann Arbor.

Jones acknowledged some people could be skeptical of his ability to do both jobs simultaneously, but said Wednesday he works hard and is committed to making a difference in both Detroit and Flint.

“I can’t say no to people,” he said.

Contact John Wisely: 313-222-6825 or jwisely@freepress.com
Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:54 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
“One of the things there is to oversee the transition of their safety and security to a more professional operation,” Jones said. “The integrity portion, one of the things you do over there, is internal affairs.”
Integrity! I'd say he has none and he should be sued for all wages from the time he accepted employment with Detroit Water & Sewer Department Flint's negotiating with. I understood him to have retired from previous employment before he started at Flint, so he should also be getting retirement pay and benefits through previous employers. 3-year contract my #!#@.

This should bring into question the salary, benefits, hours ALL elected and appointed officials have in Flint (and Flint schools administration), and maybe they should have to use time clocks and be paid hourly. They are certainly all overpaid. That includes the newly appointed Flint Schools Superintendent, who supposedly is earning $1 more than the highest paid administrator.

These people not only seem to lack integrity, they are not setting good examples for the taxpayers who are having a hard time living within their means, and the students within the district.
Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:25 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
00SL2 schreef:

quote:
Integrity! I'd say he has none and he should be sued for all wages from the time he accepted employment with Detroit Water & Sewer Department Flint's negotiating with. I understood him to have retired from previous employment before he started at Flint, so he should also be getting retirement pay and benefits through previous employers. 3-year contract my #!#@.

This should bring into question the salary, benefits, hours ALL elected and appointed officials have in Flint (and Flint schools administration), and maybe they should have to use time clocks and be paid hourly. They are certainly all overpaid. That includes the newly appointed Flint Schools Superintendent, who supposedly is earning $1 more than the highest paid administrator.

These people not only seem to lack integrity, they are not setting good examples for the taxpayers who are having a hard time living within their means, and the students within the district.

Members of the Flint Police Department are calling Barnett Jones "a liar and a deceiver".

Many agree with you OOSL2 and some are calling for Leyton to bring fraud charges against Jones and possible conspiracy to commit fraud charges against both Mike Brown and Barnett Jones. A failure to disclose the Detroit employment and the misrepresentation of the Flint employment to detroit is what they keep referring to. Brown's comments that he would bring Jones back as a consultant and that the administration was considering altering Jones 3 year contract to one as a consultant implies Brown was aware of Jones duplicity. Jones statement that he did not expect to be with Flint this long doesn't fly when you consider he negotiated a 3 year contract with some perks and a car.

Leyton won't have the guts to investigate and prosecute. The state has mud in their face for two things. They lacked the guts to make Brown eliminate lock and continued this croney relationship when Lock is not qualified. Also they obviously did not thoroughly vet Jones for his integrity and failed to make sure he was complying with the responsibilities he was contracted for. Crime rose under his watch.

Snyder needs to reconsider Brown in his role as City Administrator and our new Emergency Manager. Look at the hiring decisions Brown has made. Croft is over his head. Lock is incompetant in my estimation. Look at the conflicts of interest concerning Brown, Tim Herman and the Chamber, FARO, Prima Civitas, and the downtown groups.

Brown is dismantling our city. The East Village magazine reported property values increasing in the college cultural areas. In the Chris Hayes MSNBC discussion of violence in Chicago, they reported two segments of Chicago experienced relatively minor violence. The south side and the west of Chicago experienced the brunt of the violence and murders. Then look at the College Cultural area and downtown. Sure they have problems, but nothing that measures up with what the north end of flint and some other areas experience. Call me a conspiracy thorist, but I don't believe that is coincidence.
Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:50 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

mlive.com
Editorial: Barnett Jones does not deserve second chance in Flint
Published: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 5:54 PM Updated: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 5:58 PM
Bernie Eng | beng1@mlive.com By Bernie Eng | beng1@mlive.com

Barnett Jones.jpg | Barnett Jones resigned as Flint's public safety administrator after revealing he was also head of security for Detroit Water and Sewerage Department. (AnnArbor.com file photo)

We backed the hiring of a public safety administrator.

We thought Barnett Jones' background in the field and potential for success were assets to Flint.

We believed his $135,000 salary was justified.

Now, we can't help but think we deserved more.

Flint Public Safety Administrator Barnett Jones resigned Thursday after meeting with Emergency Financial Manager Ed Kurtz and City Administrator Michael Brown who found out from the Detroit Free Press that Jones was working a second job.

And it wasn't just any second job, it was another significant leadership position as head of security for the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department. Another taxpayer-funded $138,750-per-year job.

Two different 40-hour-a-week jobs.

Both paying six figures.

Kurtz said he has nothing to dispute Jones' claims that he was putting in "40 hours here and 40 there through multiple shifts and weekends."

Ok. Maybe not. (We are checking records to see for sure.)

But that whole premise is ridiculous on another front: Does anyone honestly believe either of those positions is a 40-hour-per-week job? We would hope both entities expected more of their leader than for him to clock in for 40 and then clock out.

With the public safety crisis this city is facing, we certainly expected he would be dedicating himself whole-heartedly to Flint.

And, to make matters worse, Jones was working for an entity with which the city has had active negotiations over water rates and a future contract. Kurtz notes that Jones was not directly involved in those discussions.

Still, this whole situation is pretty embarrassing.

It gives that same old impression that there isn't enough oversight in Flint. That lack of oversight is what led to an emergency manager in the first place. We didn't think it would still be happening with one in place.

And the topper: Kurtz' office issued a statement that said Jones still has the option of working for Flint as a public safety consultant.

That would be a slap in the face.

Kurtz and Brown said Jones never even disclosed his other job to them. That lack of respect does not deserve to be rewarded with a consulting gig.

Let's learn from our mistakes and move forward.

Without Jones.

© 2013 MLive.com. All rights reserved.
---
Source: http://www.mlive.com/opinion/flint/index.ssf/2013/01/editorial_barnett_jones_does_n.html
Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:46 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

SOME M-LIVE COMMENTS:

tdimhcs

So those in charge of Flint did not know Barnett Jones was working another job? Nice background check. For Barnett Jones not to disclose this other job is unconscionable. It will be interesting to see how many hours he actually worked in Flint. Once AGAIN another black eye for Flint. Like it needs another!

Ask any patrol officer at the Flint Police Department. Jones was rarely seen. No wonder several officers commented that they had not seen his department provided "take home to Ann Arbor" Dodger Charger at the police department recently. Maybe Jones has another job at "Hurley Heath and Fitness". Hence his "city owned car" conveniently left abandoned there.[/b]

Once again, proof positive that so-called leaders in Flint are chosen by the "eenie meenie miney mo" method.

1 Hour Ago

taz19

this super cop ( WHAT A JOKE) this is pure embezzlement,plan and simple.stealing from all tax payers.and the city is not going to arrest him or make him pay the money back.Why one might ask?...he's a black man...everyone will sweep it under the rug,and will soon forget,..don't forget the police can break the law any time they want,thats just the way it is...the city is sooooo messed up,everyone is out to grab all they can and then cry, give me another chance...it was the other guy that did it.

1 Hour Ago

Number407

Two weeks ago Hurley Health and Fitness call the FPD and reported that Jones city issued car had been parked in their lot for days. They were concerned because they had not seen Jones. The car was covered with snow. An FPD Supervisor towed the car to the station. I wonder where Jones was and why he left city property abandoned in a parking lot? If an elected official had hired this guy , the Urinal would be screaming bloody murder. But he was hired by the EFM and was a waste of taxpayer money. David Dicks and his Father were indicted for double dipping. I wonder if this guy will face any charges. I will not hold my breath waiting for the Urinal to "Check records."

Ted Jankowski likes this.
2 Hours Ago

Ted Jankowski

I'm wondering why this wasn't front page news. The Super Chief's Vehicle being abandoned???
1 Hour Ago

oracle809

Mr. Brown, since your big media selling point for Barnett Jones was that he was a certified firefighter, can the public see a single policy or procedure that he implemented for the fire department? *crickets* Oh, that's right, he didn't issue any. Not one. Zilch, zero, nada. Money well spent, Mr. Brown. Keep digging, Journal reporters!

2 Hours Ago
Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:35 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Sure sounds like Flint to me Motown as well, ah the democrat controlled meccas gotta love em. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:33 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

UPDATED VERSION

Barnett Jones resigns as Flint public safety administrator amid questions about second, six-figure Detroit job

By Kristin Longley | klongley1@mlive.com
on January 10, 2013 at 7:14 PM, updated January 10, 2013 at 7:22 PM

FLINT, MI -- Flint officials are examining the future of the city's public safety administrator job after Barnett Jones resigned Thursday, Jan. 10, amid questions about a second, six-figure job he held with the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department.

"What we're going to do is evaluate (the position) now," City Administrator Michael Brown said when asked if the city would fill the job. "We still believe there's a need for some advice and support there in terms of consulting."

Jones submitted his one-line, handwritten letter of resignation in the morning after a meeting with Brown and Flint emergency financial manager Ed Kurtz.

Kurtz said they wanted to speak with Jones after they were contacted Wednesday by The Detroit Free Press regarding Jones' second job as head of security for Detroit water and sewer. Kurtz said he wasn't aware of the second job.

"He was working both jobs and had failed to tell us he was working for somebody else. We didn't know he was working for somebody else," Kurtz said. "We met with him this morning and he voluntarily resigned. He was very apologetic."

Kurtz said he thought Jones did great work for the city.

"Needless to say, I'm disappointed," he said.

Jones could not be reached for comment Thursday, but he told the Free Press he did justice to both jobs, working nights and weekends when necessary. He referred to himself as a "workaholic."

In Flint, Jones had a three-year contract with annual pay of $135,000 -- a sore spot with some in the community because Flint also has a full-time police chief, Alvern Lock, who declined to comment today on Jones' resignation. Jones' salary was paid for with a grant from the C.S. Mott Foundation, officials said.

Jones receives another $138,750 from the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department, according to the Free Press report.

He started his Flint job April 23 and also was selected in April for the Detroit job, which he began April 30, according to a report from Detroit Water and Sewerage Director Sue McCormick posted on the department's website.

Flint city Councilman Bernard Lawler said he believes the community has been wronged, and questioned how Jones would be able to do both public service jobs effectively -- especially as a public safety official in Flint, which matched its record homicide rate of 66 killings again in 2012.

"How could he work full-ime for Flint and Detroit working 40 hours each per week and be effective?" Lawler said. "I don't see it."

Kurtz said he would describe Jones' Flint job as a full-time position advising the police and fire departments. Flint does not have a fire chief.

Kurtz said he doesn't expect his office will do a follow-up examination of Jones' time in Flint versus his time in Detroit.

"I don't dispute it -- he claims he was putting in 40 hours here and 40 there through multiple shifts and weekends," Kurtz said. "I have nothing to dispute that."

City spokesman Jason Lorenz said there aren't time sheets that show the hours Jones spent working in Flint. Every city department does it differently, he said, and managers aren't required to fill out time sheets.

When asked if the city would enact a standard policy regarding time tracking, Lorenz said the office "will certainly be looking into different avenues."

Brown, who hired Jones when he was still the city's emergency manager, said he was surprised to hear of Jones' other job, but said he did an excellent job on the city's public safety plan. He said he would be open to considering Jones as a consultant on Flint public safety matters.

Lock, the police chief, said he doesn't expect his job will change much, if at all, following Jones' departure.

Others said the situation with Jones is a reflection of the city's administration.

"Mr. Jones is the tip of the iceberg with respect to this administration's ability to fill their fiduciary responsibilities," said police Officer Kevin Smith, president of the patrol officers union, who has been critical of the city's leadership under the emergency manager.

Flint Firefighter Trent Farnsworth, president of the firefighters union, said the administration has lost credibility over the issue, and he hopes the city will hire a full-time fire chief who's invested in the fire department.

"He was referred to basically as the guy we hardly ever see," he said. "I need a full time fire chief."

Flint City Council President Scott Kincaid said he got a tip from someone with the Detroit water department in November that Jones was working there. He said he didn't check into it because he didn’t have the authority to do anything about it.

"If anything, this shows there is a flaw in the emergency manager law," Kincaid said. "Typically, if this happened to a mayor or an elected official, they could be held accountable. In this situation, who is held accountable?"

Lawler said he was unaware of Jones' other position, and would have said something publicly about it had he known.

"It's not something you hear about and let it ride," he said.

The city of Flint is currently in negotiations with Detroit water and sewer department about a potential contract for future drinking water.

Kurtz said Jones was not directly involved in any with the water discussions.

"He certainly attended staff meetings where it was discussed generally," Kurtz said. "It might be more of a perceived conflict than an actual conflict."

Jones told the Free Press he's aware some people could be skeptical of his ability to do both jobs simultaneously, but he works hard and is committed to both positions.

“I can’t say no to people,” he said.

Staff writer David Harris contributed to this report.
Post Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:55 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint City Council President Scott Kincaid said he got a tip from someone with the Detroit water department in November that Jones was working there. He said he didn't check into it because he didn’t have the authority to do anything about it.

"If anything, this shows there is a flaw in the emergency manager law," Kincaid said. "Typically, if this happened to a mayor or an elected official, they could be held accountable. In this situation, who is held accountable?"

Lawler said he was unaware of Jones' other position, and would have said something publicly about it had he known.

"It's not something you hear about and let it ride," he said.

I might give Kincaid the benefit of a doubt for not speaking up if he was trying not to compromise on ongoing investigation by the Detroit free Press.

Other council have told me they were frustrated by their inability to get an answer from the administration regarding Jones and his absences. This way Brown, Jones and Kurtz had no time to regroup and come up with a new story.

Both Lawler and Nolden blew up Facebook with angry reponses when they found out the truth. I am sure other council were angry too.

Kurtz and/or Brown had to know Jones was absent a great deal of the time becuse his office was in the administrative complex. It is ridiculous to believe he could perform his job nighta and weekends. The drive times alone had to be outstanding.

I disagree with Kurtz about the perceived versus actual conflict of Jones sitting in on discussion of ongoing negotiations with the Detroit water system when Jones was employed by the detroit water and sewerage company. Time for Snyder to clean house in flint and admit he made an error.
Post Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:57 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
Sure sounds like Flint to me Motown as well, ah the democrat controlled meccas gotta love em. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Barnett Jones listed himself as a Republican when he ran for county commissioner. Back atcha! Laughing
Post Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:39 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: