FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint City council- OFF WITH THEIR HEADS?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

this commentator has some interesting observations on a number of articles. I agree that council acts too much like "good old boys and girls" club instaed of what is right.

Oh and Eric Mays had the police called on him during the meeting.

getyokids

Why pick another person that dosent know the city charter or the laws, we have enough of them already. People who have no idea of what they are doing or how to do it. I can't wait until election time all of the council needs to go. We need people who know what they are doing, it not what you know its who you know. I'll bet she's a good friend of the Clacks.
Post Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:59 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Delrico and his wife are supposedly evaluating where they will live as they continue to make improvements to the home in the 8th ward. They recently added a new deck to the back of the home .

Other council members were aware of the situation. Did he deliberately wait to resign so as to be able to name his handpicked replacement. I don't believe the law would have been on his side about his not living with his wife as word was they were living together prior to the marriage.

What does it matter where you live as a Councilman in the City of Flint? For that matter what does it matter Why does it matter where you live if you're a Magistrate or even a judge? This is business as usual. And he made the decision to resign and stop trying to fulfill the "requirement" to live in the ward. I personally felt he gracefully bowed out. I don't see how the Law would even care? How many of our Judges REALLY live with thier Wife or Husband in the District in which they serve. It's already a proven Fact and common Knowledge that the Citizens don't really give a crap about following the City Charter or Even State law when it comes to elections and the requirements.
Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:18 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Delrico Loyd still owns a home in the !st ward, but do we really believe he doesn't live with his wife.

Perhaps the charter needes to be amended to better define residency and include provisions that if an individual has aa family, that the domicile is with the family unless legally separated.

There are similar aguments in other communities. One is Dearborn where a council candidate Thomas was challenged for having a homestead in Florida in his wife's name while his Dearborn home was up for sale. what is to prevent someone from renting a room in Flint to maintain residency while really living elsewhere?

Every elected City official and every candidate for elected office shall be a registered elector in the district he or she represent or seeks to represent.

C'mon Williamson's council had people with rented homes they were rarely seen at One his house even had the Power turned off and water off If I remember correctly. While he went home everyday to Grand blanc. Judge hayman Appoint Ms. Terry to be a magistrate in Flint 68th District Court and she has registered in Fenton? He completely ignored State Law on that one plus she was never confirmed by the Governing Body! And there was never a need for the position in the First place. As proved once again by SCO that they again recommended that the City loose one judge by attrition. Even though the work load was half what it was the first time they recommended it.

So far nothing here says he cannot live with his wife in a home in a different ward as long as he is a registered elector in the ward he is serving. He would still not be violating any law even if he was. As long as he remained a registered elector in that ward.
Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:33 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Ted- Flint is not open council seats, it is a ward system. Under the ward system a councilman must legally live in the ward they purport to represent.
Lawsuits happen nationwide over this issue.

County Commissioner Archie Bailey has a case against someone who did not live in the district and owned a home in the district now. Who on council rented during the Williamson administration? Appointees have rented since before Stanley.

You defend whoever you like personally, whether Marable or Loyd.

You should listen to what the residents of the 1st ward say about the situation. They were not so forgiving on the radio. They seem to resent their council person moving to a safer ward while purporting to represent them. They actually stated he had not truly represented them for a long time.

The point was made on Neeley's show by Candace (Neeley was absent) that loyd delayed the decision until 2 weeks after the deadline for a special election. Then council selects his handpicked choice.

Residency was a big issue for you when you were after Hayman and his magistrate. Obviously your friends can be treated different.
Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:00 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

There's always more to it. Did was he living in the ward when he ran? He says he actually still lives in the ward. But when he decided to move in with his wife after they bought a home in a different area. He resigned. Isn't that what you're supposed to do. When you've decided you're moving out of the ward? I didn't see Sandy do that, or Kerry Nelson, Or Cathy Dowd, Or Favila-Terry or any of the other Magistrates or even judges that scrambled to rent homes in Flint in order to be appointed by the govenor. There were alot more of Magistrates that the Council denied.

Marable has always lived in the City and Loyd decided to resign after buying a house in another ward. Didn't say he moved. Now if you're saying people in his ward forced him out. So be it, Claim it as a victory for your side. In my book, Big Deal. Where did you stand on Hayman's appointments when those where so much clearly violations of State Law. You where right in his corner. Terry and hayman pushed the City to the point of beginning court proceedings. Do i need to look you quotes from you before on the subject? Now all of a sudden you're on the band wagon. Seemed to me you supported the Williamson administration at every illegal turn. And now that someone says they own a house in another ward but is still filling the LEAGAL requirements of being a registered elector in the district they are serving. I've never seen anything that says they legally have to live there. While I think that's what it should say. Not only be registered but actually reside in that district at least 90% of the time. BUt, I don't get to write the laws. But, I would appreciate a citing of something that shows they Must legally live in that District? I've only found references to being a registered elector. Then after that I guess you'll have to get a legal opinion as to what it means to "reside" LOL. they system is screwed. There is no integrity, because the letter of the law is what our officials are following not the spirit of the law. Law makers wrote ti that way to protect themselves not look out for the people. I've pushed the issue before but lost because they are registered electors. The law doesn't say specifically to live there. One might think it's assumed. But, that would be a incorrect legal assumption. LOL
Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:12 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The house was purchased a year before the wedding. He has been married
for months. I have been told he was living with her before the wedding.

So your argument doesn't hold water. He deliberately manipulated his resignation to control who got his seat. He told the Journal he had deliberated this decision for over a year. Council covers for one another, and that is why the city needs a strong ethics policy and a strong body that oversees the ethics policy.

Sandy Hill bought her house in the ward and was stalked by Freeman supporters, who tried to prove she did not live in the city.

In the Bailey complaint, the individual was a registered electorate in the Flushing community, but signed a document stating a homestead exemption in another city.
Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:42 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Umm, Sandy was renting! And she began renting that house when she became one of Williamson's bought and paid for council members.
Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:39 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

She lived there. There is no law that says you can't rent, only that you live in the district you were elected to.
Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:14 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

One of my 7th ward friends told me she confronted Weighill and Alex Harris about the rumor Weighill will step down and Harris will be appointed to fill his seat. Apparently Harris became angry and admitted the rumor was true. The 7th ward is up in arms and vows Harris will never represent them.

Then while shopping at Sam's I encountered another 7th ward friend who informed me that he was aware Weighill moved out of his home at 2301 Windemere about 9 months ago.

A quick check with the public access site for the register of deeds shows he was right. There was a sheriffs deed sale of the home in march and the home was redeemed and sold in April.
Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:14 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Instrument: 201206200054536 Volume Page:
Recorded: 6/20/2012 1:56:57 PM Prepared: 06/19/12 Mailed: Pages: 1
Document Type: DISCHARGES Interest: Consideration:
Grantor: BANK OF AMERICA NA
Grantee: WEIGHILL, DALE K

Notes:
Legal Description: PrpId: 4108476024, City Code: 54
Marginal: Bkwd I 200606200058374 (MORTGAGES)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instrument: 201205090046726 Volume Page:
Recorded: 5/9/2012 1:48:42 PM Prepared: 04/17/2012 Mailed: Pages: 1
Document Type: SHERIFF DEED REDEMPTION Interest: Consideration: 43616.04
Grantor: FEDERAL NATIONAL MORTGAGE ASSOCIATION / FANNIE MAE

Notes:
Legal Description: Sub: WOODLAWN PARK NO 3, Lt: 1085, City Code: 54
Marginal: Bkwd I 201203090027158 (SH DEEDS)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instrument: 201204270038933 Volume Page:
Recorded: 4/27/2012 1:39:01 PM Prepared: 04/16/12 Mailed: Pages: 2
Document Type: WARRANTY DEED Interest: Consideration: 34900
Grantor: WEIGHILL, DALE K
Grantee: GUYNN, STEPHANIE / GUYNN, JOHN

Notes:
Legal Description: Sub: WOODLAWN PARK NO 3, Lt: 1085, PrpId: 4108476024, St: 2301 WINDEMERE AVE, , , City Code: 54
Marginal:

Instrument: 201203090027158 Volume Page:
Recorded: 3/9/2012 12:22:01 PM Prepared: 02/29/12 Pages: 8
Document Type: SHERIFF DEEDS Interest: Consideration: 111096.21
Grantee: BANK OF AMERICA
Notes:
Legal Description: Sub: WOODLAWN PARK NO 3, Lt: 1085, PrpId: 4108476024, St: 2301 WINDEMERE AVE, , , City Code: 54
Marginal: Bkwd I 200606200058374 (MORTGAGES), Fwd 201205090046726 (SHD REDEM), Show Detail For All Marginals

Instrument: 200606200058374 Volume Page:
Recorded: 6/20/2006 2:27:45 PM Prepared: 06/02/06 Mailed: Pages: 16
Document Type: MORTGAGES Interest: Consideration: 112500
Grantee: BANK OF AMERICA

Notes:
Legal Description: Sub: WOODLAWN PARK NO 3, Lt: 1085, PrpId: 4108476024, St: 2301 WINDEMERE, FLINT, MI 48503, City Code: 54
Marginal: Fwd 201206200054536 (DISCH), Fwd 201203090027158 (SH DEEDS), Show Detail For All Marginals

Instrument: 200606200058373 Volume Page:
Recorded: 6/20/2006 2:27:30 PM Prepared: 06/02/06 Mailed: Pages: 1
Document Type: WARRANTY DEED Interest: Consideration: 112500
Grantor: HAAS, PETER T

Notes:
Legal Description: Sub: WOODLAWN PARK NO 3, Lt: 1085, PrpId: 4108476024, St: 2301 WINDEMERE, FLINT, MI 48502, City Code: 54
Marginal:
Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:26 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

People were applauding Weighill for shaking his finger in Lawler's face after lawler called the appointment of Croom a back room deal. They should have been applauding lawler for having the courage to confront the issue.

I was reminded that weeks ago Croom and Poplar called the pastors & Neeley's radio show and admitted Croom was promised the position.

Time to elect some honorable people.
Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:30 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

It appears that Eric Mays may have been reacting to being taunted by relatives of Crooms. No one except Deb H was able to calm the situation.

Eric have never reacted kindly to taunts! Croom needs to keep her family in line.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:34 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
[I] encountered another 7th ward friend who informed me that he was aware Weighill moved out of his home at 2301 Windemere about 9 months ago.

A quick check with the public access site for the register of deeds shows he was right. There was a sheriffs deed sale of the home in march and the home was redeemed and sold in April.
And the significance of Weighill moving out of his home and selling it is?
Post Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:29 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The constituent was concerned and wanted to know if Weighill still lived in the ward. The man indicated he lived near Weighill's former home and he knew he had moved. Weighill had told numerous constituents he was not going to run again and indicated he was disgusted with city government.

The citizens are angry about the quality of leadership they are receiving from council and rumors of multiple seats up for election next year makes them realize they may have made bed choices.

Weighill sold his home after a sheriff sale but within the redemption period. The citizens want to know their representatives care enough about their constituents to remain in their ward. If your representative moves to be safer or to have a better life somewhere else, then haven't they basically given up on the citizens they purport to represent.
Post Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:24 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

PDF]
Home Rule City Act - Michigan Legislature - State ...

www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-act-279-of-1909.pdf - Similarto Home Rule City Act - Michigan Legislature - State ...

141.1101 to 141.1118 of the Michigan Compiled Laws, with respect to a city governed .... or both, if the violation substantially corresponds to a violation of state law .... (6) Each candidate for city council shall be a resident of the single- member ...

(6) Each candidate for city council shall be a resident of the single-member election district he or she seeks
to represent. A city council member's office is vacated if the member moves his or her residence outside of
the single-member election district that the member represents.
Post Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:06 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: