FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Chick-fil- NO MORE ANTI-GAY RHETORIC!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

David Badash.

Founder and editor, The New Civil Rights Movement

GET UPDATES FROM David Badash
Huffington Post..

Chick-fil-A: 5 Reasons It Isn't What You Think

Posted: 08/01/2012 9:17
Former GOP presidential candidate Mike Huckabee decreed Wednesday, Aug. 1, to be "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day." The former Republican governor of Arkansas says he "has been incensed at the vitriolic assaults on the Chick Fil-A company because the CEO, Dan Cathy, made comments recently in which he affirmed his view that the Biblical view of marriage should be upheld."

Of course, not one word of that is accurate, not even that Dan Cathy is the CEO (his dad is), and if you're standing in line waiting for your chicken sandwich and waffle fries, why not take a moment to learn about what Chick-fil-A really does, and -- even if you're opposed to same-sex marriage -- what your money is buying.

Here are five reasons why Chick-fil-A isn't what you think:

1) Chick-fil-A has donated at least $5 million to organizations (including a certified hate group) that, among other things, depict gay people as pedophiles, want to make "gay behavior" illegal, and even say gay people should be "exported" out of America.

Even if you oppose same-sex marriage, do you really want to support a company that advocates putting gay people in jail, or "exporting" them, just because they're gay?

2) Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy didn't merely say he supports traditional marriage. Dan Cathy said if you support gay marriage, you "are inviting God's judgment on our nation," and that we "shake our fist at Him" when we do. Dan Cathy also said same-sex marriage is the result of a "deprived" mind and called it "twisted up kind of stuff."

Even if you don't support same-sex marriage, do you really think gay marriage is "inviting God's judgment on our nation"? Haven't we all heard enough blame from those who claim to speak for the Lord, like after Katrina or, more recently, after the shooting in Aurora, Colo.?

3) Chick-fil-A supports organizations that have claimed they can change gay people into straight people -- "pray away the gay" -- despite the fact that practically every major medical organization has stated that this is not only impossible but dangerous and harmful.

Even if you don't support same-sex marriage, do you support fake "science" that is known to harm the very people it claims to help?

4) The media keep saying Chick-fil-A has never discriminated, but the truth is that Chick-fil-A has been sued over a dozen times for employment discrimination. That's what a leading business publication, Forbes, stated in 2007, when they also called Chick-fil-A a "cult" and reported that Chick-fil-A's founder and CEO Truett Cathy said he wanted to hire married people because they are more industrious and productive. Truett Cathy has also said he would probably fire someone who "has been sinful or done something harmful to their family members."

Even if you don't support same-sex marriage, do you want to support what some call a "cult" whose CEO says he would fire employees for "being sinful"?

5) Chick-fil-A is just exercising their First Amendment rights by running a business based on the Bible, right? Wrong. There's a line between the "free exercise of religion" and violating the law. If Chick-fil-A is violating the law by discriminating against gay people, or by firing women so that they can be "stay home" moms, as one woman who is suing Chick-fil-A says in court documents, that's not exercising religious expression or free speech, and that's not a First Amendment issue. It may be, if the court decides, a violation of the law.

Even if you don't support same-sex marriage, do you want to support a company that might fire women to force them to be "stay home" moms against their will?

There are plenty of good restaurants that are happy to work hard for your hard-earned dollar. Why support a company that is working so hard to deny people their rights?

Follow David Badash on Twitter: www.twitter.com/davidbadash

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:46 am 
bigmouthconservative
F L I N T O I D

Just don not eat there if you don't agree with their philosophies. Don't shop at Wal-Mart, Target, Meijer et al if you don't agree with their policies. Don't get your oil changed at (insert name here) because you do not like the tattooed guy who works there.

This is such an non-issue being made into an issue.
Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:16 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

It may be a non issue to the consumer, but the large number of employee labor didputes reflect a growing trend in America towards discrimination.

The push towards the extreme right disenfranchises large number of individuals that need jobs. Homophobia, the employer judging whether or not you are a sinner and the belief mothers don't belong in the workforce are only a few of the issues that many have with this franchise.

You have expressed disatisfaction with specific issues in your employment. as objectionable as it seems now, things could be worse. With the economy and the current job market could you be ensured a new job if you lost yours to an irrational decision on your employers part.

You should only be evaluated only on your job performance.
Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:36 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Im sure the spectacle of all those gay folks sticking their tongues down each others throats during their stupid "kiss in" will fix whatever problem they claim to be having. What a bunch of losers, if you dont want to support the business dont do it but Chick fil A has every right to donate their OWN money to any cause they choose. By the way do you actually think they will limit their idiotic protest to just kissing?

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:47 am 
Crowfeeder
F L I N T O I D

I only wish there was one in our area.Closest is in Rochester ?
Marriage is between one man and one woman.And although I enjoy ,as much as any normal guy, seeing 2 woman getting it on,to call the "union " of people of the same sex a marriage is ,I think at best, somewhat sick.
Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:35 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

FOX NEWS YESTERDAY

Shep Smith took an apparent swipe at both Chick-fil-A and his fellow Fox News host Mike Huckabee on Wednesday.

The controversial fast food chain has caused a tremendous stir with its owner's comments against gay marriage. Huckabee declared Wednesday "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day" to support the store.

Smith, who has previously spoken out in support of gay marriage, didn't mince his words on Wednesday, though he avoided directly mentioning either Chick-fil-A or Huckabee.

"It's National Badminton Day," he said. "Let's forget National Day of Intolerance. Let's just stay with badminton."

It's just another example of Smith's willingness to speak his mind
Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:33 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Jackson Pierce and her video about ChickFila hit many of the news organizations. Her position is the owner of the chain misrepresents biblical views on marriage. She uses Biblical citations as she discusses how men were polygamous and also had concubines in the Bible. A woman not a virgin upon marriage -expect to be stoned (with real stones and not drugs). If a man's brother dies without children, a brother must marry his wife (still true in some African nations).

She also discusses the separation of Church and State. This girl is well read and articulate. Oh and she loves Chick-Fil-A.

I Don't Care About Chicken. I Care About My Gay Friends.
www.upworthy.com
Over 400,000 people have watched this video. The last, epic and final word on Chick-fil-A..
Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:03 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

I think Christians values are underrated in America and "liberal" values are overrated. I think inner cities like Flint are a "shinning" example of liberal alues and our high body count reflects those values.

I personally feel children under age 18 are exposed to enough sex and violence unlike the ChickFilA protesters.

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:14 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The high body count in Flint comes from community leaders who did not recognize the warning signs of organized crime and failed to act. These are not just kids behaving badly. And the problem extends into the suburbs.
Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:08 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Organization probably helps when you're selling dugs to thousands of eager clients in Flint and also Genesee County.
Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:57 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

When the Cobras first came from Chicago, the Stanley administration refused to acknowledge gangs in Flint. They were "youth groups"

Flint had so called "nomads", runaways from other counties coming here and becoming part of the gang family. They stole a car on the east side of Flint, went and robbed in the suburbs, They then stole another car to return t Flint.

The Cobras were caught going to Traverse City and robbing a jewelry store. These were much older Cobras as you are in the gang for life. Some individuals join gangs in prison for pt=rotection and only casually associate with them when they are out. That was the case with one 50 plus year old Cobra in the jewelry heists.
Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:23 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Chick-fil-A vows to stop donating to anti-gay groups
After a public uproar over comments by its president against gay marriage, Chick-fil-A says it will no longer donate to anti-gay groups.

Protesters take photos while Jason Arca, left, kisses James Mays as gay-rights and same-sex marriage supporters rally in front of a Chick-fil-A restaurant in Hollywood in August. (Allen J. Schaben, Los Angeles Times / August 3, 2012)

September 19, 2012, 4:55 p.m.
Chick-fil-A will no longer donate money to anti-gay groups or discuss hot-button political issues after an executive's controversial comments this summer landed the fast-food chain in the middle of the gay marriage debate.

Executives agreed in recent meetings to stop funding groups opposed to same-sex unions, including Focus on the Family and the National Organization for Marriage, according to Chicago Alderman Proco Joe Moreno.

Earlier this summer, Moreno became a key critic of Chick-fil-A after the Atlanta company's president, Dan Cathy, said in an interview that his business was "guilty as charged" of supporting "the biblical definition of the family unit."

Moreno, who runs Chicago's trendy Northwest Side ward, said he and other city officials had been concerned about the company's donations to anti-gay groups and had been negotiating with executives for the last 10 months as Chick-fil-A sought approval to expand in the city.

The agreement, announced Wednesday, could pave the way for the company to continue to grow not only in Chicago but in other metropolitan areas as well.

"For the first time, Chick-fil-A has provided a way to ensure that their employees know that discrimination will not be tolerated," Moreno said Wednesday. "It sends an important message and is a very positive step for Chick-fil-A as it looks to expand into urban markets."

He said he now will give Chick-fil-A the support it needs to open shop.

In July, as Cathy's comments inflamed passions nationwide, Moreno threatened to block a new Chick-fil-A restaurant planned for his area. He said that the company "had a poor record when it came to acknowledging equal rights for all our citizens" and that it discriminated against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender job seekers and workers.

In short order, mayors from New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles and elsewhere weighed in on the issue, joined by other politicians, celebrities and hundreds of thousands of consumers.

Supporters swarmed restaurants around the country in early August, as protesters gathered outside, for Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day, launched by former presidential candidate and conservative Mike Huckabee.

A report from LGBT advocacy group Equality Matters found that from 2003 to 2009, Chick-fil-A donated more than $3 million to Christian groups that oppose homosexuality. In 2010, the fast-food company gave nearly $2 million to such causes, according to the report.

But on Wednesday, Moreno said the chain sent him a letter saying that its nonprofit WinShape Foundations arm "is now taking a much closer look at the organizations it considers helping, and in that process, will remain true to its stated philosophy of not supporting organizations with political agendas." Moreno wouldn't release the full contents of the letter.

Chick-fil-A also agreed to amend an official company document to reflect that its "intent is not to engage in political or social debates," Moreno said.

The company document, called "Chick-fil-A: Who We Are," also will state that the chain will "treat every person with honor, dignity and respect — regardless of their beliefs, race, creed, sexual orientation and gender."

The restaurant chain said as much this summer, as it tried to tamp down fallout from Cathy's incendiary comments. Outside of its July comments, Chick-fil-A spokesman Jerry Johnston said Wednesday that the company is "not offering any response" to Moreno's statement.

The chain has more than 1,600 locations. The company is family-run; 91-year-old founder S. Truett Cathy was named the 89th wealthiest American by Forbes with a net worth of $4.2 billion. Sons Dan and Donald are estimated to be worth $1.5 billion each, according to research firm PrivCo.

LGBT advocacy groups, such as the Civil Rights Agenda in Illinois, said they were "encouraged" by the company's latest decision. Campus Pride, a national group for gay college students, decided to suspend its "5 Simple Facts About Chick-fil-A" campaign, which highlighted the chain's anti-LGBT links.

"Campus Pride is pleased with our meetings and discussions with Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy and Chick-fil-A executives about the future direction of Chick-fil-A in upholding their values of 'dignity and respect for all,'" Executive Director Shane Windmeyer said Wednesday.

Branding experts, such as Jeff Lotman, said the change was a smart one by Chick-fil-A.

"I guarantee you it's already brought in more traffic, and sales are up because of this," said Lotman, who founded brand licensing agency Global Icons.

"The amount of time their name has been in various forms of media has been more valuable than any advertising they'd spend on in a year," he said. "It raises awareness of Chick-fil-A to the top of people's minds."

On social media, reaction was split.

"Yes, Chick-Fil-A was wrong but they've changed their policy and I think they should be thanked for that," wrote user DoubtcastFletch.

But Twitter user Glam_Star77 accused the company of trying "to play neutral."

"I feel like I've been betrayed," the user wrote. "No integrity or ethics!"

Matthew Bailey, a spokesman in Moreno's office, acknowledged that the changes are "obviously not ideal for everyone involved."

"But we think we've achieved something positive for the community, for us and for Chick-fil-A," he said. "We'd rather achieve something rather than beat our chest."

tiffany.hsu@latimes.com
Copyright © 2012, Los Angeles Times
Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:08 am 
pan8
F L I N T O I D

Typical lib crap. Chik fil A is not anti gay you bozo! Chik fil A is pro traditional marriage. I was in California during the dust up, went to a Chik fil A outlet. Thousands were in line supporting the establishment and can you imagine my surprise when I placed my order, the order taker was openly flamboyant. Did not bother me, what bothers me is your 7% of the population pushing their sodomy on the remainder of America!.

Webs, take your gay life style elsewhere, can it, drop it, don't put it out here for normal people to have to read.

You claim to be a journalist living in Tel Aviv, what are you doing on this board anyway?

Pan8
Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:19 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
pan8 schreef:

You claim to be a journalist living in Tel Aviv, what are you doing on this board anyway?

Pan8

Sorry but you claim I am a journalist living in Tel Aviv. I never made that claim. Nor am i gay.
Post Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:21 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: