FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: WHISTLEBLOWERS RETURNED TO WORK

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

In the case of karen Morris was the announcemnt that a settlement agreement had been made.

Today three of the four whistleblowers (Morris, Dunlap, and wilcox) returned to work. Hopefully they will receive their back pay and have their positions restored.

The fourth whistleblower, Carol Freeman retired early in what can only be called a constructive discharge. Allegedly Eason, Johnson and Atkinson harrassed her until her doctor ordered her to leave her position. When Flint was getting horrible monitoring reports, HUD officials praised Freeman for her attention to detail and her accuracy.
Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:45 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The Flint City Attorney's Office seems to have no limits when it comes to violating ethics.

The City contacted Michael Townsend directly and bypassed his lawyer with what can only be described as an effort to see how hungry he was. He was offered a limited time position at a lower pay rate and no benefits.

With Michael Brown as EM, will we see a number of confidential agreements. More and more lawsuits are being settled with this provision. However, as taxpayers, don't we have the right to know how much the bad decisions of those qwe elect are costing us.

Is bringing back the whistleblowers an attempt to mitigate damages or an attempt to circumvent too much public exposure to the Walling lawsuits/
Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:49 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I have to wonder if the law departments next move would have been to ask Townsend to drop his lawyer and enter into a settlement with them directly. THIS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE!
Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:52 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

While the whistleblowers have returned to work they have been advised by friends in the field to seek other employment. The future of Flint and their HUD dollars is not looking good.
Post Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:29 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The City got off these cases easy.

Karen Morris $18,000 plus attorney fees.
Glenda Dunlap $9, 495.08 plus attorney fees
Suzanne Wilcox $18,000 plus attorney fees

Their positions were restored\Their personnel files were cleared, including termination documents

Their senority, service credits and accruals were restored.
Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:07 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Aren't those settlements supposed to be confidential
Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:14 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

These settlements were posted on the Emergency managers list of resolutions.

I have a problem with the use of taxpayer money being used for settlements and then having these settlements kept secret. Remember both Snyder and Brown promised us transparency.

Judges and lawyers sometimes used secret settlements to unlawfully seal court records. I remember a court case on age discrimination that was sealed because a judge wrote on the jacket tht there was a secret $200,000 settlement. I knew what the case was and that sealing it did not comply with the law so I challenged the sealing and succeeded in get it made public.
Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:24 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Resolution # 039 of Emergency mananger

SETTLEMENT OF A HOSTILE WORK ENVIRONMENT IN CITY OF FLINT
5 employees

Jason Relerford
Otiss Nunn, Jr
Warren Southall
Richard Johnson
Entrice Mitchell

$12,000 to the lawyers of Gafkay and Gardner

Balance in suits and settlements
Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:03 am 
nicktaylor087
F L I N T O I D

Even I feel they could have got more! A good whistleblower lawyer is quite rare and I feel that it would be worth someone's time to search for one in a high stakes case.
Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:51 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Isn't this just like the GISD settlement, which they forced to go public? Let the FOIAs begin!

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:45 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: