FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Jackie Poplar - meeting in question
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
I see someone is in a pretty Jollful mood.

must be the holiday season.

I always look forward to Kwanzaa...any celebration that extols Arby's Jamocha shakes is A-OK in my book.

Wink

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:28 am 
rapunzel

quote:
Memories schreef:
quote:
Adam schreef:
I think I just remembered the meeting where Jackie voted to approve the liquor licenses in question. I believe she gave a speech before she voted. In the speech she said that she was voting yes because the liquor stores had agreed yes to put $500 each into a scholarship fund and she was happy to get something out of this because if the council denied the request the appeal would go to the state and the state would probably grant the transfer. I'm not sure if she said she was going to put the money in or not but anyways this would have been right in front of the city attorney. Shouldn't this have raised suspicion from the city attorney and shouldn't she have counciled Poplar on this issue? Also wouldn't Ehren Gonzales have known this might be illegal and why isn't he offering to resign for being a party to it if my memory is correct.

I'd like to see the tape on this to see if I am right.

Thats the point she took $500 for a vote, the ethical standards were so low in the room know body realized it was wrong. One saying is that the pathway to hell is paved with good intentions. Its wrong its wrong its wrong.

Mabey we are just numbed by the last 6 years. Mabey we just need to return to good government. Demand it. What is unique about Poplargate is the good intention.

Built into the charter is a standards of conduct board and an ombudsman to create a pressure for good government.
Whats wrong with good government?
Whats wrong with professional standards?

The issue is delivering a vote for consideration. Its wrong.

Terry

Now, I agree with you, the woman was wrong, the whole city govenment was wrong by allowing it was wrong, and not speaking up during.

The state is wrong by being able to override city council stop on liquor liscences. I applauded this purchased woman by not allowing added drink in her area. Now the N word changes all.

The true issue is the state and them allowing booze, regardless.
Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:26 am 
Karen

Rapunzel please let down your hair, why are you hidding behind a fake name?
Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:29 am 
Andre Gide

quote:
Karen schreef:

A name leads to identification, to post with just a first name is as identifying as no name at all. Hypocrisy at the walls.

"The true hypocrite is the one who ceases to perceive his deception, the one who lies with sincerity."
Andre Gide
The Counterfeiters
Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:07 am 
Earl

[quote="Andre Gide"]
quote:
Karen schreef:

A name leads to identification, to post with just a first name is as identifying as no name at all. Hypocrisy at the walls.
]

I agree we should all have to use our "REAL NAMES", send a copy of your birth certificate to Flint Talk Web Master, he then calls you and then u get approved.
Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:26 pm 
Kat
F L I N T O I D

After hearing the comments today, while watching the FCCM, I have a slightly different opinion about the Popular incident. It was stated she did in fact reveal, what her plans were, regarding the scholarship at one the the FCCM, she wasn't hiding it, which saids to me, she didn't have any idea what she was doing was wrong, besides the fact that no one from the city council spoke up at that time, to tell her she couldn't do that, and not one of the council member's denied this. (I don't know where my council person was)

I must say, it would have been nice to see my council person (I'm in the 4th ward) there during this discussion, to hear her say to council woman Popular, she did in fact tell Popular she couldn't do this.

I was critical of Popular at first, but her being new to the whole process, someone on city council, should have spoke up at the time, she made it public at one of the meetings, instead of some of the council people criticizing her now. I feel that was the time to speak up.

FCCM = Flint City Council Meeting.
Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:29 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

The interesting thing to me is that the news media did such a poor job reporting on this.

one thing to keep in mind. After talking to Ms. Hill. Her conversation with Ms. Poplar was not at a open council meeting. And sometimes when people are talking about things in a one on one conversation they are still formulating their ideas. What I may be talking about today, may have changed or been tempered a little bit before I present it six months later. Thus context is something people aren't getting in much of this debate!

Everybody acts as if this was something that had just happened. When it was being planned and steps were being taken by Ms. Poplar to make sure what she was doing was legit!

I know that from conversations and interviews I've done with people. Sometimes what they are saying and then later what they meant. Don't always make it to my brain housing group at the same time. I sometimes need some time to digest what they've said.

I arrived late at council meeting. They allowed me to speak. but what was laying heavy on my heart was something along that lines. Mr. Croom and I had talked about the findings of the Crime Task Force. And some of the findings were disturbing because of the complete lack of understanding by citizens about the power and ability of the council to actually do anything when it comes to crime in Flint! So next year I will be doing shows with all the council members so that they can speak to their constituents about what they are doing and what they can do. Josh and I will host the first show and go through some of the responsibilities of offices and abilities of the offices and their actual authority.

People need to start putting the blame in the direction that can actually affect the change. Crying to City Council about trees not being cut in your ward or police not responding in your ward. Will not do you any good. THEY CANNOT TELL ANYBODY to do anything. and Contrary to the Mayoral Decree Scott Kinciad is NOT RESPONSIBLE for the prostitution in his ward. He cannot do anything to allow or not allow it to go on. So when the Mayor says it. It should cause a reaction on the part of the citizens to throw it back in the face of the clown that said it. However, what happens is the citizens seem to believe it. The Flint Journal or TV12 will quote the Mayor, giving him creditability. Then people accept it as fact. Yes this really happens! There are people out there naïve enough to believe it!
Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: