FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Smith Village Redevelopment plan By j.carpenter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I believe the houses to be built by NIPP and I believe construction by GCARD was cancelled.

The houses built by Genesee Intermediate School District Skill Center for Flint are still sitting on trailers over on Maple and Torrey Roads. County commissioners have expressed indignation over the project not being completed.
Post Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:55 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

This whole project is a joke, I encourage others to drive up there and see how dumb this project is.

Post Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:42 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Today's Journal boasts that Flint had a record number of demolitions, almost 800, so far this year. Remember this is also the first time the City had over Three (3) million dollars to demo with.With the huge number of vacant housing in Flint, it does not make sense to establish plans to build 500 new houses.

Walling claims a Cities of Promise survey stated there was a need for 500 new houses in the downtown and adjacent area. The City of Flint officials and genesee Count Land bank Officials have held "back door " meetings to create at least three new subdivisions in this area.

The Land has policies that say a nonprofit or an individual must be current in their tax obligations before they can purchase Land Bank properties. NOT TRUE!

A resident attempting to buy property in Metawauneenee Hills was told that all properties were being reserved for Salem Housing. Salem Housing owes taxes so the Land Bank policy is a sham! They also were part of a HUD monitoring report that revealed they were unable to sell properties on a lease-to-own project and the project was turned into rentals. Some, paid for with HUD dollars, have been vandalized to the point they must be demolished. There are Salem houses that have been up for sale for years with no takers.

So far Treasurer Deb Cherry has done nothing since this was brought to her attention. But then the Land Bank is notorious for it's political activities.

Currently the Land Bank has transferred properties to Charles Young Jr of Operation Unification and Smith Village Construction. Both Operation UNification and Charles Young Jr. have outstanding property taxes.

They also transferred properties in the past to Greater Eastside when taxes were outstanding. MSHDA did not do their "due diligence" even when they were notified by the City that the taxes were owing. As a result MSHDA paid to renovate three eastside properties for GECA only to buy them again for the shelter after they could not be sold. Your Tax dollars at work!
Post Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:14 am 
JCARPENTER
F L I N T O I D

Hey Dayne dont say I didnt tell you how to develope this subdivision befoe you even started. Just read my first suggestions that were furnished as to how to save the million dollar return to HUD before this unsessary mess was created. Your poor sense of priority and fire aim ready methods will get you in trouble enery time. It may not be to late to save this project however you may not like my solution. Believe me when I say your problems have only just begun. Have one of your cronies call me and I may help you before you waste another ten million of our hard earnrd tax dollars.Im sure Indiana is laughing all the way to the bank?
Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:41 am 
JCARPENTER
F L I N T O I D

The mayor hasnt sent anyone to ask me how to get him out him out of this mess. Maybe no one reads Flint Talk at city hall or he dosent realize what a mess he has gotten himself into?

Questions-

Who is paying for the full page ad in CPSA COURIER claiming that Smith Village is the Right Home-Right Neighborhood-Right Price?

Where is the copy of the Cities Of Promise report showing Flint needs 500 new homes to go along with the 10,000 vacant homes in Flint as reported by the censes?
Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:20 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

As long as they assemble the prefabs on schedule, they won't have to pay back HUD. What happens to the houses after that is not their concern.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:24 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
As long as they assemble the prefabs on schedule, they won't have to pay back HUD. What happens to the houses after that is not their concern.

WRONG! THE AGREEMENT FROM HUD SAYS THEY MUST BE BUILT AND OCCUPIED! ALSO FLINT MUST PRIORITUZE ALL AVAILABLE RESOURCES TO BUILD THE INFRASTRUCTURE AND THAT MEANS THE WATER AND SEWER, THE ROADS (SOME HAVE BEEN RECONFIGURED) THE NEW TREES AND LANDSCAPING.

FLINT IS ALSO BUILDING A CLINIC, A CHILD DEVELOPMENT CENTER AND A CENTER FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS!

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:00 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

And if it all crashes & burns (rhetorically) once HUD signs off, they wont care.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Council held a special meeting tonoght and voted 6 to 3 to give the money to Smith Village for the water and sewer.

Dale Kenneth Weighill shared a link.

Split Flint City Council votes against water, sewer funding for Smith Village work
www.mlive.com
FLINT, Michigan — The city won’t dip into its cash-strapped water and sewer funds after all for the Smith Village housing development — at least not immediately. A split Flint City Council on Monday voted to overturn its earlier decision to spend $767,000 for water main work on the.....· · Share · October 26 at 10:20pm · .

Joel A- Dale will smith village still be built? I know there are alot of ramifications if it doesnt happen.
October 26 at 10:23pm · Like.

Dale Kenneth Weighill I'm sure it will. The Mayor and Mr. Eason will eventually get the five votes they need. Although, I suppose the Emergency Manager, once installed, could reverse course.
October 26 at 10:26pm · Like.

Joel A-Is it looking like that over consent agreement now?
October 26 at 10:26pm

Shaun S- I agree, Joel, but what of the ramifications if it is? Why is the city building a suburban, large-lot, auto-oriented subdivision that was a bad idea 15 years ago?
October 26 at 10:27pm · Like · 1 person.

Dale Kenneth Weighill Joel: I honestly have no idea.
October 26 at 10:28pm · Like
Julie P- Wow, can you imagine if the city and the Feds gave $767,000 plus, to a business(s) to build on that land providing jobs to people in Flint, thereby allowing them to buy/rent their own housing and more!!!! I can NOT believe gov. funded public housing is a consideration in Flint, that is amazing!
October 27 at 9:49am · Like.
Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:16 pm 
TruthTalk
F L I N T O I D

Looks like another contractor has walked off the job due to disputes about getting paid, sound familiar. As of now the digging of basements in Smith Village has been halted. I have heard only 5 or 6 basements were dug so far.
Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:51 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I think more than 12 basements were dug but I haven't looked to see how many basement foundations have been poured. Smith Village Construction has received quite a bit of money so I don't understand why there should be a pay dispute. They are required to submit weekly pay requests to prove they are paying Davis Bacon wages.
Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:30 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

What contractpor walked off?
Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:31 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint Police Operations
Root & Williams, shots fired into an unoccupied construction home. #Flint

· · @FlintPoliceOps on Twitte · 4 hours ago via Twitter.

LuLu l Smith village Smh
4 hours ago · Like.

John That's the Flint welcome wagon.
3 hours ago · Like.
Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:42 pm 
JCARPENTER
F L I N T O I D

Hey Dayne I havent heard anything from your Fire-Aim-Ready development team. Ok ,I feel sorry for my friends and neighbors so I will give you a couple of free tips before you squander more of our tax dollars tax dollars. The street that you just paved has no curbs . The reason for this is that the street has been paved over so many times that there is no curb left. What this means is that you have wasted our tax money on a street that will need to be replaced soon along with the infrastructure.Thats sewer,water gas and electric. Wait, I didnt see any under ground electric either You know like we have on Williamson St with the nice street lighting with the nice light poles that match downtown and Universiy st. Oh well ,we will just put them in later.Heck we can just put them in later and have the new homeowner pay for having service changed over to under ground.

Remember Flint you heard it here first, the infrastructure will end up costing you six to seven million dollars that has not being shared with you by this admn.
Post Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:41 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

probably more John as Rick from Rowe Engineering told council at the special meeting the eastimated cost for water, sewer and roads in the 3 phases is $6 million. That doesn not include sidewalks, trees and other landscaping.

It was never taken to council until last Wednesday after already agreed to by the administration to HUD.

Rumors are that Walling will get rid of Eason after the election. walling campaign people said that while they were out campaigning and people ccomplained about Eason.
Post Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:49 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: