FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint brawls threaten Back to the Bricks
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
pan8
F L I N T O I D

.40 cal S&W, Remington 870 with 3 inch magnum buckshot and a Louisville slugger with nails through the barrel that I call "little thumper" and due to the 5th amendment one other item I refuse to reveal.

Pan8
Out and about
Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:58 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Two Tap, the next time you're in Flint, check out the motorcycle shop on South Dort in Burton. They sell "Flint's Original Back To The Bricks" T-shirts, the chalk outline of a body laying on the bricks. Also the same shirt, lettered: "Back to the bricks, Flint style".

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Channel 12 finally did some reporting on the situation. I did not see the 4 pm report, but those who did said it was confusing as the reporter claims some stories were not true, and then left it hanging. Blackstones owner claimed there was no problems at his establishment. Howeer the lead LT in Burton told about the fight in Burton and the problems in Flint.

The solution, have a curfew for young people. We already have a curfew and I don't believe it was broken as the big trouble started just before 9 pm.

Information I received is that the confrontations were planned and there were gangs the north end did not recognize.
Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:54 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

BETTER LATE THAN NEVER?

22 people arrested after Friday night fight during Back to the Bricks, organizer said
Published: Monday, August 22, 2011, 1:49 PM
By David Harris | Flint Journal The Flint Journal

Sean Ryan | The Flint Journal Overview of the last day for the Back to the Bricks in downtown Flint on Saturday Aug. 20.
FLINT, Michigan — There were 22 arrests made after a fight around 9:30 p.m. Friday during Back to the Bricks in front of the McCree court building, the event's chairman said.
Back to the Bricks Chairman Al Hatch said a fight with young people broke out. There were no serious injuries, just some bloody noses, said Hatch.

"The public safety people got right on it," he said.

It is unclear if the 22 were lodged in the Genesee County Jail.

"We are working on contingency plan," Hatch said. "We didn't expect a large group of teenagers to be down there without their parents."

The group scattered after police arrived, Hatch said.

"Once police got involved, the crowd broke up and ran to the north," Hatch said.

Hatch said safety was good, all in all. They only had to issue a few tickets for things such as burnouts and public drunkenness, he said.

Organizers shut down the event an hour early to 9 p.m. after a fight Wednesday night in Burton. Officials declined to discuss the incident in great detail.
Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:46 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

DownTownWood August 22, 2011 at 3:32PM
Follow

I was there eating at Blackstones when it "went down". You know the old saying "kids will be kids" and I know it sounds like a lame excuse, but what else do these kids have to do in this town. A few bad apples who watch to many rap videos and the trouble begins. I do have to commend the police they did a damn fine job once the decision was made to send the kids home if not with their parents. Someone in charge had some military training. Once the crowd area was shrunk down to allow the police presences to be well know the rest of the night went well.

Inappropriate? Alert us.Reply Post new

RU12 August 22, 2011 at 3:41PM
Follow

Anyone with any common sense that night could have seen that this was going to happen when you see gangster wannabe's walking around in large groups with no shirts on and hats on sideways. Most of them were there to look for trouble and not look at the cars because the cars weren't on 24's and the rims did not cost more than the car. But I will say it did get calmed down fairly quickly after the large wave ran away. Just feel bad for anyone who had a car on the street at the time because they probably got scratched and maybe a few dents.

marlene August 22, 2011 at 3:42PM
Follow

My kids ran into the same problem at the Genesee county fair too. And these are probably the same kids who complain because there are no functions to attend? This is why. We can't afford the police to control the few unruly thugs that want to spoil it for everyone.

wookie August 22, 2011 at 3:51PM
Follow

I can't say that I'm surprised. I went down there around 8:30 and the "natives" were getting restless. Needless to say I didn't stay long enough to watch it all go down, I didn't want or need to have little wayward black kids talking smack to me to realize that something bad was going to happen. To bad though because this is one of the few fun events in Flint every year. It only took some publicity to get the animals to ruin it.

Imjustsayin August 22, 2011 at 5:50PM
Follow

Tread likely wookie. The racists known as townster, flintishome and acrosstheocean will pretend they're not race baiters and will accuse you of being a race baiter. They use selective wording to spew teir racist views, ten try to blame others.

wookie August 22, 2011 at 7:16PM
Follow

The fact that the people that were giving me trouble were black has nothing to do with anything, it could just as easily been white people. It's really not a race problem, so much as it is a problem to do with parenting and the family structure. Either these parents didn't know (negligence on their part) or didn't care that their kids were out in mass causing trouble. I'll be going to back to the bricks next year, but I think I will steer clear of the downtown area. Anything past Atherton Rd. (headed north) was pretty sketchy after 9pm.

BillyLove August 22, 2011 at 5:47PM
Follow

Solution to the problem: Put up temporary fences and charge admission as the Sloan Auto Fair does.

Flint MI USA August 22, 2011 at 6:13PM
Follow

No admission fee needed. Its simple: Special events curfew. No parents, no guardians = NO admission to the Downtown area. If caught, you will be charged and ordered to serve 30 days picking up garbage, litter, etc. If you fail, sentence will be increased accordingly.

As many of you know, I'm far from being a racist. Equal treatment for all involved. Next year - implement the above and BTW, I would "officially" cap each day of the BTTB to 8:00 p.m. Eastern time.

The Special Events curfew will encompass an area beginning at 5th avenue on the N side. I-475 to the east, I-69 to the south and Grand Traverse to the west. LE and volunteers incl GCSD posse members and COF Blue Badge volunteeers will augment the coverage area to prevent violators from entering.

If someone is with a parent or a guardian, FINE. We welcome one and all. We want people to attend this event. We want people to have fun - people of color, of different cultures, etc. I do not care if you are white or black - have fun, enjoy yourselves, spend a few $$$ on munchies, dinner, a beer or two and/or a drink with friends. We want people to have fun.

Its just time to tighten the rules, enforce a Special Event curfew and once these punks, wannabes, thugs know they are NOT welcomed, people can truly enjoy themselves.

I might also comment that its my understanding that if a person (or people) incite a crowd to riot, that could carry a felony charge. Please clarify if I'm mistaken. We must tackle this issue now...for next years' events.

Its quite clear what must be done. A handful of people wrecked the mood on Friday. Thats unfortunate. We are BETTER than that. We must make changes to prevent this from being a reoccurrence.

Lastly, the events of Friday evening involving these punks embarrassed my city and my family...this was preventable. Lets fix it. I spent much, much time late Friday evening, Saturday morning explaining to outsiders this was an anamoly, idiots if you will, who caused this and we will NOT let this happen again. I was embarrassed for my City, my Hometown over these wannabe thugs. Please lets get it corrected so as not to ruin a good thing.

To all the good folks who came to my city, my Hometown...thank you and we really appreciate the good times had by all from inside Flint to Burton and down to Grand Blanc. We WILL do better next year. Thank you.
Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:52 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

FormerFlintoid August 22, 2011 at 9:11PM
Follow

My wife and I were downtown Friday night and the actions of the "mob" made me ill. As a former long-time Flint resident, I look forward to returning each August to attend Woodward and Back To The Bricks, and see if there have been any "improvements" in my hometown since my last visit. What I witnessed Friday night was enough to make me reconsider my annual visits.

It's a damned shame when spectators to a "family-friendly" event like The Bricks are subjected to this level of unruly behavior.

I was concerned for my wife's safety and my own, especially when I saw the mass of humanity running wild to the North on Saginaw Street.

I'm also curious as to why an incident that involved the arrest of 22 people wasn't reported on TV12 the evening it occurred, and why it took until now for Flint Journal to post it on their site. Had this near-riot occurred in another town, I'm certain that we would have seen the local media cover in a more timely fashion.

I do appreciate the effort of Al Hatch and the rest of the Bricks crew to bring a large scale event to a community that needs every tourist dollar it can get, but after the scene last Friday night, I don't think I'll be back next year.
Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:54 pm 
ConcernedCitizen
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
DownTownWood August 22, 2011 at 3:32PM

My kids ran into the same problem at the Genesee county fair too. And these are probably the same kids who complain because there are no functions to attend? This is why. We can't afford the police to control the few unruly thugs that want to spoil it for everyone .

Several years ago when students and outsiders caused havoc in the streets of East Lansing after MSU was eliminated from March Madness, the judge there made a decision that I felt was brilliant. The damages were devided between all the people caught causing trouble. Damages paid for and hopefully the wrongdoers learned a lesson.

Maybe they could add a fee to the fine that goes specifically to fund more police officers.

Thomas Jefferson
Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:30 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: