FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: UAW endorses Scott Smith
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I am tempted to stay home or just not make a selection. Is anything else on the ballot?
Post Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:04 pm 
liontamer
F L I N T O I D

Don't know if there is a "None of the Above" box for you to check. Don't believe that there is anything else on the Flint ballot....might be some local issues and recalls elsewhere.
Post Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:09 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

If Scott Smith Becomes the next Mayor of Flint he will be recalled.

I will bet money on it! Any takers?
Post Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:38 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
I am so unhappy with the choices for this election thatI just can't get enthused.
I will say that I refuse to support Walling, Buchanan, Mays or Davenport!
How about a last-minute write-in campaign for your favorite....
Post Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:37 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

[quote="00SL2"]
quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
I am so unhappy with the choices for this election thatI just can't get enthused.
I will say that I refuse to support Walling, Buchanan, Mays or Davenport!
How about a last-minute write-in campaign for your favorite....[/quote

How about Phillip LaBarge? He is the write in candidate . Next best thing to "none of the above". And he has no baggage the others seem to have.
Post Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:37 pm 
liontamer
F L I N T O I D

Looks like the untangled guy is torn between Smith, Pfeiffer, and Kim...really? Deep down you are a Smith guy, right? I'd choose Pfeiffer among those three.
Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:04 am 
cleartheair
F L I N T O I D

I am voting for Smith, after stopping by his office for a talk with him, i find him a really upstanding guy.

Before you chop him down stop by and talk to him, the only problem I can see is he is a serial landlord, I find that disturbing. I can't see the problem though, because under Walling, no landlords have to worry about inspections anyway.
Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:35 am 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

quote:
cleartheair schreef:
I am voting for Smith, after stopping by his office for a talk with him, i find him a really upstanding guy.

Before you chop him down stop by and talk to him, the only problem I can see is he is a serial landlord, I find that disturbing. I can't see the problem though, because under Walling, no landlords have to worry about inspections anyway.

I have met the guy. Nice person. Most con artists are really pleasant people. Ted Bundy was. Doesn't mean I think Ted Bundy would be a great civic leader. IF he doesn't actually live in Flint why the hell should he be the mayor? An absentee landlord is one thing, a absentee mayor is a totally different set of problems. He lies about having the endorsement of the UAW, he doesn't live in Flint ( I don't give a rat's ass that he own a house there, if he isn't living there it doesn't matter). I remember hearing about a old guy with the last name of Sterling who owned hundreds of houses in Flint ( guess he is dead now) . Anyway, should he had been the mayor because he owned so many of the houses there? Perhaps old Sterling should have been the mayor, he paid more into the tax base than most of the people now living in Flint. My point is a nice guy isn't all that is required to be a mayor of a city. Especially a city with so many "challenges" as Flint has to cope with.
Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:46 am 
liontamer
F L I N T O I D

I met Smith , too. Seems like a nice personable guy. I don't have a problem with his housing empire if he plays it straight. But, it may be difficult for code enforcement and building permit people to come down hard on their boss if Smith is Mayor. He may not be able to avoid conflicts of interest.
My problem with Smith is that he really and truthfully is a resident of Davison and will only become a full-time resident of Flint if he wins. That is not being committed to Flint.
The other issue I have is that he is throwing out impossible promises about bringing back 50 policiemen without any viable way to pay for that. That is not being upfront with the citizens. Hope is not enough. This is an empty promise that he can't possibly make happen in a term as Mayor.
If the police really thought that he could do this they would be pounding the streets side-by-side with him.
Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:33 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

What are Scott's, or any one else's for that matter, qualifications to be mayor of the City of Flint? At least Walling has the political connections. If only he would lose the current appointees and appoint qualified people rather than basing appointments on political paybacks.
Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:39 pm 
cleartheair
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
What are Scott's, or any one else's for that matter, qualifications to be mayor of the City of Flint? At least Walling has the political connections. If only he would lose the current appointees and appoint qualified people rather than basing appointments on political paybacks.

He says he has an interest in making housing regulations more stringent, he claims to invest a great deal to make his homes liveable, so if that is true, it would be to his benefit to up housing standards. And on a practical level, if rents are higher and housing is better there will be lesser crime.

I believe that he could bring back some cops, if there were a shift in finding that could happen, do you realize that some of Walling's aids are being aid directly from the police grant?

Do you realize that Walling was a resident of Minnesota and DC before running for mayor? Should we have eliminated his run too?

Smith is getting my vote
Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:41 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

quote:
cleartheair schreef:
quote:
00SL2 schreef:

He says he has an interest in making housing regulations more stringent, he claims to invest a great deal to make his homes liveable, so if that is true, it would be to his benefit to up housing standards. And on a practical level, if rents are higher and housing is better there will be lesser crime.

I believe that he could bring back some cops, if there were a shift in finding that could happen, do you realize that some of Walling's aids are being aid directly from the police grant?

Do you realize that Walling was a resident of Minnesota and DC before running for mayor? Should we have eliminated his run too?

Smith is getting my vote

Well if Walling had still been living in either Minnesota or D.C he should have been eliminated from being the mayor. It would have been on hell of a commute every day . Yes 00SL2,it does matter where Smith lives. I think the mayor of a city actually living in that city is or should be a prerequisite for the job. I'm funny that way.
Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:30 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

Sorry, I meant Cleartheair, not OOSL2, So sorry OOSL2.
Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:31 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: