FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: should Flint Police have tasers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ponycar
F L I N T O I D

I don't see how the police officers on the scene could have disarmed her without without exposing themselves to injury. Using batons would have allowed her to get too close, using aerosol irritants would have still made officers have to go hands on with a woman who had a knife if her hands ( keep in mind that the max range of pepper spray with a stream dispersal is about 15 feet in ideal conditions ). Like I said in an ealrier post, Tazers may have worked, but the officers were faced with a woman who presented the threat of death or serious bodily harm to them. Deadly force was the appropriate response. Can a 2 and 1/2 inch blade cause death or serious bodily harm ? I say definately yes.

Post Sat May 14, 2011 11:51 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Facts of the story that were not in dispute.
The woman was mentally ill.
The woman was drunk and staggering.
There were more than 4 officers on the scene.
Officers had to call for permission to shoot her.

A 21 inch long PR-24. has a at least 16 inch further extension than a 2 inch knife.
A person any size and any state of mind cannot hold a knife any size with their bones broken in the hand or wrist.

I've been in bars with much bigger and much soberer Marines and Bikers. While never have encountered a knife. I have on occasion encountered a long neck with the bottom broken. While IO haven't had any real martial arts training and the Jar heads in the bar (mostly grunts) probably had more close hand to hand than I ever received. Only one was ever difficult to disarm. Sure a little luck had a hand in it. But I would have loved to have had a pr-24 or baton. Once I did have a pool stick. So it was an obvious out class. But I really have a difficult time believing that this woman ever had any knife fighting training and had a real ability to coming close to hurting anyone other than herself.
Post Sat May 14, 2011 9:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: