FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: I thought Flint was broke

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Police & fire layoffs due to lack of funds, 8 million bond issue to pay bills, right? Then, how can we pay for this???

CITY OF FLINT

POSITION OPENING
Chief Planning Officer
POSITION DESCRIPTION: CHIEF PLANNER
The City of Flint seeks to hire a highly motivated Chief Planning Officer to lead a
Comprehensive Master Planning process within the Department of Community and Economic
Development. Candidates are encouaged to apply who have significant experience in managing
forward-thinking, sustainable urban planning projects and a demonstrated ability to coordinate
decision making across multiple entities and stakeholder groups. The successful candidate will
be challenge-oriented and sensitive to the City’s social and geographic dynamics. Flexibility,
open-mindedness and creativity are highly desirable. Associated duties and further qualifications
are outlined below. Review of applications will begin on Monday, March 21, 2011. Applications
will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
CITY OF FLINT BACKGROUND:
Once nationally celebrated as one of the country’s booming cities, Flint, Michigan is facing
significant challenges related to economic disinvestment and population decline. The many
challenges associated with the economic and social restructuring are readily apparent within the
city, among them large-scale residential abandonment, unremediated brownfield sites, high rates
of poverty, lack of commercial vitality, and public safety concerns.
Confronted by these painful transformations, the City of Flint and its people have demonstrated
resilience, resourcefulness, and an enduring belief in the City’s potential for renewal. Signs of a
growing momentum for the city’s recovery is visible in the recent rejuvenation of Flint’s
downtown core, increased citizen involvement in neighborhood improvement efforts, and a
proliferation of public, private, and civil-sector partnerships that foster economic development,
arts and culture, and education.
Presently, the City is preparing to launch a broadly inclusive process that will engage citizens,
civic leaders, and local partners in creating a new comprehensive plan to guide Flint’s
development over the next three years. Initiated under the Department of Housing and Urban
Development’s, Office of Sustainable Housing and Communities, Community Challenge
Planning Grant Program, this effort represents a decisive opportunity for the people of Flint to
determine the shape of their future, and for Flint to play a leading role in redefining American
prosperity in the context of innovative sustainable urbanism.
COMPENSATION: Salary range $80,000 - $94,000 annually with full benefits in accordance
with appointed and exempt employee classification

City of Flint Chief Planning Officer Position Opening Announcement Page 1 of 3
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Advanced and highly responsible professional planning work, including the establishment and
management of a Planning Division within the Department of Community and Economic
Development. Serves as a resource to all community and economic planning activities including
but not limited to the Planning Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals, Economic Development
Corporation, and Historic District Commission.
SUPERVISION
Chief Planning Officer reports to the Director of the Department of Community and Economic
Development and the Mayor
SUPERVISION EXERCISED:
Manages the activities of the Planning Division staff and consultants.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
1. A Master’s Degree in Urban Planning or closely related field from an accredited college or
university with six (6) years of progressively responsible planning experience or a Bachelor’s
Degree from an accredited college or university in Urban Planning or closely related field;
plus eight (Cool years of progressively responsible planning experience.
2. A minimum of four (4) years in a leadership or supervisory role.
3. Certification by the American Institute of Certified Planners is preferred.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Experience with innovative, creative urban planning projects, research and analysis.
2. Demonstrated ability to lead public participation and citizen engagement processes among a
diverse range of populations.
3. Capacity to serve as the primary contact with key federal officials and agencies within the
context of master planning (e.g., HUI), EPA, and MSHDA).
4. Awareness of recent developments, current literature and sources of information related to
planning and administration
5. Record of preparing planning reports and statistical studies for general and technical
audiences
6. Thorough knowledge of economics, sociology, geography and public fmance and
administration as applied to urban planning.
7. Ability to interpret state legislation and other rules and regulations relating to planning and
development.
8. Ability to inspire and influence others, even without positional authority.
9. Ability to represent the City as an expert witness on urban planning issues.
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS:
• Substantial public policy experience in two or more of the key areas: economic development,
transportation, housing, environmental sustainability, zoning.
• Extensive experience in grants management and project management.
• Knowledge of public, philanthropic and nonprofit roles in creating and implementing
comprehensive planning and development strategies.
City of Flint Chief Planning Officer Position Opening Announcement Page 2 of 3
• Knowledge of regional, city and neighborhood planning and development processes and
regulations.
• Knowledge of the principles and accepted practices of public planning and of the methods of
collecting and analyzing planning data.
• Proven ability to identi& common interests and facilitate negotiations among disparate
parties that result in individual action in service of share priorities.
• Senior management experience including success in managing large, complex projects.
• Proven ability to move forward conceptual and innovative agendas.
• Ability to negotiate work plan and activities with team members.
• Ability to understand and empathize with people from a variety of social, economic and
cultural backgrounds.
• Ability to engage a broad cross-sector of the community and stakeholders, including the
Planning Commission, Master Planning Steering Committee, City Council and other groups
as required.
• Excellent writing and public speaking abilities.
• Computer skills with software programs, which may include Microsoft Office, databases, and
APPLICATION PROCEDURE:
Please submit a complete application packet consisting of a detailed cover letter (two pages or
more), resume or CV, and three professional references to the City of Flint Department of
Human Resources and Labor Relations, 1101 5. Saginaw Street, Room 9, Flint, Michigan 48502.
Complete applications may also be e-mailed to Lori Harvey at lharvey(~cityofflint.com, 810-
766-7280.
REVIEW AND SELECTION:
Review of applications will begin on Monday, March 21, 2011. Applications will continue to be
accepted until the position is filled. The Chief Planner is described in the Flint City Charter as
an executive staff appointment of the Mayor of the City of Flint and does not require Flint City
Council approval.
For More Information Contact: Tracy B. Atkinson, Department of Community and Economic
Development at 810-237-2032 or tatkinson@citvofflint.com
City of Flint Chief Planning Officer Position Opening Announcement Page 3 of 3

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:27 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Pachuco
F L I N T O I D

It's called a 1.5 million grant.
Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:43 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Does the grant allow paying people with the grant money? Several do not. Also, why can't anyone at city hall seem to find any grants for police manpower?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:49 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
Pachuco schreef:
It's called a 1.5 million grant.

The grant is for a master Plan. walling said last year and earlier that he wants a six person planning department. How does he plan on paying for it. Companies like Wade Trim,etc., usually complete the master plan. Check out their web site.
Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:09 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Salary and benedits equals over 2 new cops. Will the planner be able to shoot his way out of the north end "killing zone"?
Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:14 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
The grant is for a master Plan. walling said last year and earlier that he wants a six person planning department. How does he plan on paying for it. Companies like Wade Trim,etc., usually complete the master plan. Check out their web site.
Seems there could be possible conflict of interest because the master plan could be written in such a way as to benefit their company.
Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:06 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: