FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: With 13 dead already, what about CeaseFire?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

March 17, 2011

Dear Citizen:

The purpose of this letter is to update you on the progress of CeaseFire Flint. A lot has happened behind the scenes since this important initiative was introduced last summer. A core implementation team has been meeting since that time working toward our community’s first call-in. This team is divided into three sub-teams.

The service provider team helps secure commitments from agencies to work with offenders to provide basic need and life skill resources such as high school education completion, job training, substance abuse counseling, etc.

The community outreach team disseminates the word about the initiative to stakeholders in the focus areas and encourages them to share information that could be helpful. This group is also responsible for outreach to the faith based community and securing their commitment to help program participants.

The law enforcement team provides analysis that helps identify focus areas, sets criteria for participants, and then identifies candidates by reviewing cases, tips, outstanding warrants, etc. and through other techniques such as surveillance.

Due to the implementation team’s efforts, many agencies, organizations, churches and others have committed and continue to commit to the success of this program. Current partners are listed on the front of the attached brochure. CeaseFire Flint began in the second ward and will soon expand to an area of the seventh ward. A call-in has been set for this spring. We are committed to making our streets safer by getting criminals off the streets.

We are also continuing to work on the long-term sustainability for CeaseFire Flint by seeking out both private and public funding grant opportunities. In addition, our community has been selected to receive free technical assistance from the U.S. Department of Justice administered by Michigan State University School of Criminal Justice to help guide implementation.

I believe that the successful implementation of CeaseFire Flint and other innovative programs will help reduce crime in our city. I look forward to your continued support in these efforts.

Sincerely,

Alvern Lock
Public Safety Director
Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:40 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

"Cease fire" makes me think of murderers, and in that context, "cease fire" is a farce. All one has to do is look at all the murders in this city and check the motives. They are not all street crimes. No grant is going to make a murderer not a murderer.
Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:13 pm 
insider
F L I N T O I D

If you can get out of Flint, get out. If you can't leave, arm yourself. If you can't arm yourself, pray you aren't a victim. Sorry, but that's all I have.
Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:56 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: